eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE Tour 2018 - Rumors & General Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And I think the limitation in variation has something to do with the fact that U2 have structured this 2nd half of SOI/SOE to fit a certain narrative (even if we don't see or feel it). So mixing in all kinds of different songs on a nightly basis wouldn't work so much.

Structuring setlists around a theme (or themes) has been a part of U2 tours in varying degrees since ZooTV. Add to that the varying complexities of multimedia displays that the band has utilized for each song and it's easy to understand the lack of setlist variation. Simply put, it's just too complicated to mix up the setlist nightly to the extent that some people would prefer when the entire production requires so much organization.

I see what you're saying. The b-stage set has Best Thing (obviously not getting rotated out), and even Staring at the Sun, which would seem like something that could be changed, has some specific visual content about racism that also plays into the next song Pride. The politics continue with Get Out and American Soul, and COBL is their main set closer.

The most likely candidate is Desire, but that now seems thematically tied into the Macphisto theme and leads into Acrobat.

Where they totally could be rotating is the beginning of the encore, but instead of switching Wild Horses around with something else they just straight-up dropped it and didn't replace it with anything.

Desire into The Showman, for crying out loud. They need a mid/"beam" stage song in act 2 (how Elevation was in Tulsa). Maybe The Fly and then move to e for Elevation. Or put The Fly as the PA song and play HMTMKMKM mid stage. That could be a rotation.

Best Thing is a total snooze but they're sticking with the obviously broken parts thus far.

Bono coming out alone for Love Is All We Have Left is diluting the impact of the band's entrance for The Blackout, right? I'm not sure the 1-2 punch is as effective as The Blackout alone would have been.

Bono coming out alone for Love Is All We Have Left is diluting the impact of the band's entrance for The Blackout, right? I'm not sure the 1-2 punch is as effective as The Blackout alone would have been.

There's room for improvement in the way Bono is revealed during LIAWHL but imo, it basically works fine, much like a show I saw during the original Joshua Tree tour where the band opened with MLK in total darkness. The dumb augmented reality phone app gimmick that forces Bono to remain near motionless in one spot is another story, however. It was kind of funny watching people around me futzing with their phones trying to get it to work right.

I think it's more problematic that for the following song The Blackout, the band including Bono is hidden inside the screen leaving the audience to watch basically an abstract music video for 3/4ths of the song performance.

Last edited:
I think the opening 2 is fine. Going with the strings-heavy version of Lights of Home is a mistake.

I felt that the AR app was a usless gimmick, as I didn't use the app at all during the show. Had to delete it after the show in order to free up some space. No one from where I was sitting used it.

As for 13 being the closer.

I remember POPMART and how great One felt at the end. How they should have ended on that note. Instead, Bono performed a shortened acoustic WUDM. I didn't think that worked at all. But really, it works, depending on your mindset and mood. Now when I watch POPMART it doesn't feel like an anticlimactic downer.

It's just that there's a whole different dynamic when you're at a show, than there is afterward when it's over and with the passing of time.

My thoughts are that 13 is not just a way to end the show for them, it's THE way to end the entire SOI/SOE story/statement/chapter in U2 land.

In that regard it is the best closer for this tour. Even though it may not feel like it at the time.

between this whole line thing and interactions with some (crazy) u2 fans on twitter lately, I can safely say that it is really easy to see why U2 fans get such a terrible rep.

that's all i have to say these days.

spinal_tap_.jpg

:applaud: Well done, bono_212 & Hewson!

juuuust in case someone doesn't know that bit in that movie
Particularly as an artist, who has done very modest window dispay, and props for catalogue item photos, and an R&R Concert fan- I lost it with laughter when the that mini stonehenge was lowered into the stage! :lol:
Still cracks me up!

I really wish they would stick with “Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses”. I was really hoping to finally see that live in Nashville. Has anyone who has been to the shows head people complain about them not playing any songs from The Joshua Tree?

Back
Top Bottom