Dumb Hope, Northumberland, UK Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What i believe is the very north-east of the South Island

IMG_1447.jpg

coolian2 said:

One thing i will say is that trains are more accessible to photograph than planes

Oh, they're making it harder. I do a fair bit of photography from station platforms and they don't like that, but with handheld digital cameras they don't bother you. Get out a tripod and you might get spoken to if you don't have a permit to photograph. A lot of railfans, however, think needing a permit is absurd and won't get one.

I've increasingly been scouting out spots lineside away from stations where nobody will bother me.

The Sad Punk said:
I'd call it an awesome example of classical patriotism and valour, but that's just me. The Gaesatai, though - those guys were mad.

I tend to think anybody who goes out onto a field of battle is just a bit mad at least!

Axver said:

Oh, they're making it harder. I do a fair bit of photography from station platforms and they don't like that, but with handheld digital cameras they don't bother you. Get out a tripod and you might get spoken to if you don't have a permit to photograph. A lot of railfans, however, think needing a permit is absurd and won't get one.

I've increasingly been scouting out spots lineside away from stations where nobody will bother me.

It's better than most plane spotters get in the US, where you get moved on by the police.

Fuckers. At least Auckland Airport has carparks almost dedicated to spotters.

To the left is an XTrapolis electric multiple unit departing Richmond, to the right is a Nexas arriving.

s640x480

And the last of this Richmond series, an XTrapolis rocking up at platform 10. I think this is the funniest looking of all Melbourne trains.

s640x480

The Sad Punk said:

I didn't even realize there was a Comeng train, I thought you were just being an eejit. :lol:

:lol: None of the electric multiple units in Melbourne have class names, they're just known after their manufacturer. At the moment, in service are:

- Hitachis (most retired, I have few photos of them and only been on one twice)
- Comengs (refurbished a few years ago; those by EDI have the full yellow fronts, those by Alstom not so much)
- XTrapolis
- Siemens/Nexas

On the Victorian regional network, there are the Sprinter railcars and VLocity diesel multiple units. It seems VLine likes gimmicky names for their stuff, though their locos have proper letter classes - A, N, P, and Y are the types in service.

Last edited:
coolian2 said:
The Wellington to Christchurch run is great. Cruising at a relatively low flight level because of the shortness of the flight just off the coast of the South Island.

Scenery ftw

IMG_1449.jpg

Mmmm, homesickness.

Here's Flinders Street, with an Alstom-refurbished Comeng sitting at platform one.

What a gorgeous station/landmark. :drool:

s640x480

coolian2 said:
IMG_1451.jpg

Jesus christ, photofuckit really did a number on my pictures, so much compression!

Mmmm, even more homesickness!

And I must admit I can't tell at all anything about this compression stuff you mention, but now that I've got a cane, I hope nobody's shocked.

Spencer Street Station. From closest to furthest: VLocity, Sprinter, VLocity, rake of carriages. In the background, I can just see outside at hard right a B2 class tram on Spencer Street.

s640x480

chargeathenapromachosej1.jpg

There are a lot of people in the world with enough money to reenact as ancient Greek soldiers. This is a group from Spain, I think.

Actually, the best group I've seen photos of are actually guys from Melbourne. They're very historically accurate with what they wear, and some even have classical pointy beards. I still consider this whole sort of thing kind of weird, but given the money, I probably would go out and buy a helmet for kicks.

Alstom-refurbished Comeng pulling into one of Spencer Street Station's suburban platforms.

(If you can't tell, I refuse to acknowledge the bullshit name change to "Southern Cross Station".)

s640x480

The Sad Punk said:

There are a lot of people in the world with enough money to reenact as ancient Greek soldiers. This is a group from Spain, I think.

Actually, the best group I've seen photos of are actually guys from Melbourne. They're very historically accurate with what they wear, and some even have classical pointy beards. I still consider this whole sort of thing kind of weird, but given the money, I probably would go out and buy a helmet for kicks.

:lol: That's awesomely nerdy.

The Sad Punk said:

They're so cool!

N 473 with FUCKING UGLY NEW LIVERIED CARRIAGES at platform 3 of Spencer Street Station.

s640x480

N 456 basking in the sun at the northern end of Spencer St.

Note the dual gauge track in the foreground. VIC is 5'3" gauge, while (some of) SA and NSW are 4'8.5" - international standard gauge. VIC is gradually converting to standard, but for now has some dual gauge to allow interstate passenger trains access to Spencer St.

s640x480

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom