Dumb Hope, Northumberland, UK Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Sad Punk said:
celticwarrior300bcad100cw7.jpg

These French chaps are the 'gaesatai', a particular Gallic warband that stripped naked for battle, wearing only a torque (the thing around their neck) and wielding just a shield as protection. They spiked their hair up and bleached it, using a mixture of different stuff as ingredients. The cool thing about them is that they were completely fearless and tough - they would continue fighting no matter the pain or effect any injury caused. It's really, really likely that they used hallucinogenic drugs before fighting, which may have inspired their ferociousness/idiocy. It's rather accepted now that some Norse soldiers did such a thing with magic mushrooms.

So they aren't a lot different from a number of people that go to Queen St on Friday and Saturday nights

Here's some Sprinter railcars working in multiple. Note the lead railcar is in a different livery to the trailing ones. Due to the combination of yellow and red at the front end, they have now been nicknamed McSprinters by railfans.

s640x480

coolian2 said:

So they aren't a lot different from a number of people that go to Queen St on Friday and Saturday nights

:laugh:

That tops any response I could have come up with.

I should have used this as the first pic of the session.

ALL ABOARD TO BUMPASS, VIRGINIA!

s640x480

This is a Siemens EMU, but I now use their less common alternate name, Nexas. It sounds less crude. When you're railfanning and yell "here comes a Siemens!" with other people around, weeelll ...

s640x480

coolian2 said:

If we just act like it is the first pic, maybe everyone will believe us.

If they want to bump some arse (or, I suppose, a donkey), they BETTER believe us.

agisthirduv5.jpg

Really unfinished picture I started about a year ago, but couldn't be arsed finishing because I didn't think much of it. But it's the only picture of the guy I'm gonna talk about. This lad is Agis III, a king of Sparta during the mid 4th century BC. He rounded up a big army, mainly of mercenaries, to combat the Macedonians that were breathing down Sparta's neck and controlling a lot of land around her. So they went up against each other, the Macedonians with 40,000 soldiers and the Spartans with 22,000 (very few of these would have been the famous Spartan hoplites, only a few hundred). The battle began in the Spartans favour, but eventually the number of Macedonians started to become a bitch and began to force Agis' army back. While Agis and a group of his men were making a tactical retreat, they were surrounded by the enemy. Agis, already badly injured, told his men to run away and began to fight the entire army on his own. He actually took down a few of them before finally being struck by a javelin.

The Sad Punk said:
agisthirduv5.jpg

Really unfinished picture I started about a year ago, but couldn't be arsed finishing because I didn't think much of it. But it's the only picture of the guy I'm gonna talk about. This lad is Agis III, a king of Sparta during the mid 4th century BC. He rounded up a big army, mainly of mercenaries, to combat the Macedonians that were breathing down Sparta's neck and controlling a lot of land around her. So they went up against each other, the Macedonians with 40,000 soldiers and the Spartans with 22,000 (very few of these would have been the famous Spartan hoplites, only a few hundred). The battle began in the Spartans favour, but eventually the number of Macedonians started to become a bitch and began to force Agis' army back. While Agis and a group of his men were making a tactical retreat, they were surrounded by the enemy. Agis, already badly injured, told his men to run away and began to fight the entire army on his own. He actually took down a few of them before finally being struck by a javelin.

Holy shit, what a great fucking effort.

Although perhaps he should have known when to quit.

At the regional platforms of Spencer Street Station. The closest train is of course a VLocity, with two rakes of carriages behind it. The ugly grey-dominated livery is a new one V/Line is just introducing, and I think it is grossly inferior to the old red and white livery seen on the distant rake.

s640x480

The Sad Punk said:
agisthirduv5.jpg

Damn, Bonnie, you're fucking good at the whole drawing thing.

And that guy sounds ever so slightly mad.

OK folks, here comes a series of photos at Richmond railway station!

INCOMING SIEMENS!

s640x480

Axver said:

Damn, Bonnie, you're fucking good at the whole drawing thing.

And that guy sounds ever so slightly mad.

Thanks. :)

I'd call it an awesome example of classical patriotism and valour, but that's just me. The Gaesatai, though - those guys were mad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom