Doves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
what a great album this is. i actually think it's their most consistent album.

i totally agree.

some great guitar sounds on this....Spellbound has an awesome solo at the end reminescent of Radiohead...even some Edge like guitar lines on some of the tracks.

and holy crap - the last two minutes of 10:03 gives me goosebumps.

FYI:
This week on NME Radio 23-27 March 2009 | News | NME.COM
Friday
Today is Doves Day, celebrating Doves’ new album ‘Kingdom Of Rust’. From 9am the station is playing out tracks from the album across the day and the band take over for an hour from 2pm, playing some of their favourite music.

To tune in, head to 87.7FM in London, Sky Channel 0184, Virgin Media 975, Freesat 727 or NME.COM/Radio.

After one listen through, I have no specific words of praise or criticism to impart. I think the album is fantastic and lacks any truly weak tracks, but the leak sounds pretty compressed and generally crappy, so I don't want to say anything more. But rest assured, for those who are waiting until the 7th, you won't be disappointed.

Favorite: Winter Hill
Least favorite: 10:03

Now I need to listen to all of their albums in order to see how Kingdom Of Rust stands up within the context of their discography.

Indeed it was. While I would agree that the production here is awesome, as there is a ton of ambition going on here, and a lot of nifty bells and whistles that sound great and suit the music...there is a lack of dynamic range on the MP3s I listened to, particularly The Outsiders, which is simply too big for its bitrate. Of course, I'm an audiophile, so most won't be bothered by it. I just feel that the album deserves a listen in the best quality possible before any specific criticisms are made. I felt the same way about NLOTH and was not disappointed.

it's pretty great throughout and doesn't let up....in fact, i think the second half of the album might be the strongest. Spellbound and House of Mirrors are immense. Compulsion has a monster bass.

don't know much about audio, but the rip i have sounds pretty damn good...i'll still buy the cd when it comes out though

I :applaud: your strength at holding out, I used to be good at it, but good quality leaks have ruined me, I told myself there was no way I'd listen to NLOTH before having it in my hands, but after 4+ years a decent rip broke my conviction quite easily :lol:

I heard Winter Hill on the radio this morning. I was pissed because I was thinking about other things and didn't notice it was actually Doves until about half way into the song.

I like the stretch of "Spellbound," "Compulsion" and "House of Mirrors," with the last song of that trio being my favorite on the album at this point. "The Greatest Denier," "10_03" and "Kingdom of Rust" are good, too.

At this point, I'm not really into the others that much. :reject: Maybe they'll grow on me. "Jetstream" is OK.

Jetstream took a few listens before it blew me away, "House of Mirrors" is the off the bat rocking favorite.

Wow. I never really got into Some Cities but I am already really liking this album just on 1st listen, seems great

iTunes has a Kingdom of Rust EP up. It has Kingdom of Rust, an acoustic version of the song, and 2 other b-sides. 4 tracks for $3.50. Pretty tempting!

Back
Top Bottom