Doodstil, The Netherlands Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
not sure how you go, but sometimes i find when attempting closure, you approach it/the person and suddenly it all vanishes and you fully feel just what were carrying around. you've got the right to do what you need to do.

Yeah, I don't know if it would be a good idea or not. God, you'd think I'd have stopped thinking about her by now. But she really was a huge part of my life, and nothing's taken that place - and I don't mean that in the sense of another girlfriend. I mean that now I don't have any close friends; my high school group is scattered throughout Australia with little regular contact, but until the start of this year, at least Kate was still in my life. But FFS, I don't even like who she became by the end of 2007, so you'd bloody think I'd have moved on.

Adam's ultimate defamation case: Clay Aiken's full first name is Clayton.

a load bearing screw?
Yes, if the keyboard tray is considered a load. I managed to get it back in sorta crooked, so now it should hold up, for a while. Eventually I'll have to shift the whole thing over an inch or so and make new holes. But that will happen at a time when I'm not fucking exhausted.

Yeah, I don't know if it would be a good idea or not. God, you'd think I'd have stopped thinking about her by now. But she really was a huge part of my life, and nothing's taken that place - and I don't mean that in the sense of another girlfriend. I mean that now I don't have any close friends; my high school group is scattered throughout Australia with little regular contact, but until the start of this year, at least Kate was still in my life. But FFS, I don't even like who she became by the end of 2007, so you'd bloody think I'd have moved on.
Yeah, it's never that easy.

I didn't even like my ex when we were together, and I was glad to be rid of him, but I still think about him too much. I compare my current boyfriend to him. Usually in the sense that everything that was wrong with the ex is right with the current.

But some dumb part of me still feels guilty for breaking up with him/hurting him, even though I was miserable being with him, because at the time, I thought that I just couldn't be in a meaningful relationship with anyone, and I told him as much. But now I am in a meaningful relationship with someone, and I feel bad because he's not.

Yeah, it's never that easy.

I didn't even like my ex when we were together, and I was glad to be rid of him, but I still think about him too much. I compare my current boyfriend to him. Usually in the sense that everything that was wrong with the ex is right with the current.

But some dumb part of me still feels guilty for breaking up with him/hurting him, even though I was miserable being with him, because at the time, I thought that I just couldn't be in a meaningful relationship with anyone, and I told him as much. But now I am in a meaningful relationship with someone, and I feel bad because he's not.

Kate and I really were ideal in 2004-05, but then we completely grew in opposite directions. I truly wish I'd broken up with her when I considered it in October 2006. I feel like somehow, I would have felt so much better about it. Things wouldn't have been such a long, drawn-out mess. But I resolved to make it work, because I believed we really had something. Apparently I was alone in that thought. And I guess by 2007, it became impossible anyway as we'd both changed so much. Often I miss 2004-05. It was a happier time in general, even though I'm more comfortable being single now.

Anyway, I'm probably just dragging the thread down here.

You were together for a very long time by the sounds of it. Did you meet through uni? And don't be silly about bringing the thread down.

You were together for a very long time by the sounds of it. Did you meet through uni? And don't be silly about bringing the thread down.

No, we met before that. We were together from November 2004 to either February or November 2007, whichever you want to take as the end date. Probably me going to university (I started a year earlier, being a year older and all) is what really killed it. I don't know. I was just looking at some of my old writing last night, and my thoughts just completely transformed in 2006. Probably no accident, given that's when I began to seriously engage with new intellectual ideas and reached different conclusions to those I held before on a lot of life aspects.

Kate and I really were ideal in 2004-05, but then we completely grew in opposite directions. I truly wish I'd broken up with her when I considered it in October 2006. I feel like somehow, I would have felt so much better about it. Things wouldn't have been such a long, drawn-out mess. But I resolved to make it work, because I believed we really had something. Apparently I was alone in that thought. And I guess by 2007, it became impossible anyway as we'd both changed so much. Often I miss 2004-05. It was a happier time in general, even though I'm more comfortable being single now.

Anyway, I'm probably just dragging the thread down here.
How about I drag it down with my own stuff instead?

I just wish I'd never been with him in the first place. It ended up being mostly about sex, which wasn't even good sex, and it was pretty much doomed from the start. We got along decently on the first date. The kissing was amazing. The second date started out okay, but then I got tired of his kissing style really fast, and I wasn't enjoying myself. I was thinking then of breaking it off, but decided to give him another chance. Then he got a little clingy and started referring to me as his girlfriend (on the second date.)

After that, I told him I wasn't sure about the whole thing, and thought we should take a break. Well, a little time passed, and I agreed to go out with him again. Well, I ended up sleeping with him that night. On the third date, which is not something I'm that proud of. I think the problem was that he and I were both starved for intimacy, and so we basically just devoured each other. Except he was also starved for emotional intimacy, which is not something I could offer. I just wasn't into it. He got romantic and told me he loved me and was constantly caressing me, and worst of all, looking at me totally adoringly. And I couldn't stand it. It got to where I could barely make eye contact with him, because every time he looked at me, I felt like he was planning our future.

The relationship was brief and mostly about sex, which wasn't even good sex. He and I barely even seemed to talk to each other. Eventually I couldn't stand it anymore and asked for another break, which led to the relationship fizzling out and ending. We didn't see each other anymore, though we kept in touch online. Some months later we hung out again (with friends), but at the end of the night we were alone together, and we ended up hashing it out all over again, which I didn't think was really necessary, but I guess he brought it up in hopes of wearing down my resistance, I don't know.

Fast forward even more months, to when I was rough time, mentally, and he ended up taking me out to cheer me up, which led to us... you guessed it, making out. No sex this time, though we basically ended up hanging out and making out heavily a lot for a couple of months. This time I tried again to be more open toward him and the idea of a possible relationship, but in the end, I once again couldn't handle it, and ended it.

Some months after that I started dating my current boyfriend, and everything was SO much better, right from the start.

Kate and I were very close friends before we got into a relationship. For a while, I considered not doing anything because I didn't want to risk our friendship - but her friends assured me that she was head-over-heels with me and I'd be a fool to wait any longer. True enough; those early months were very good. I should've been smart enough to know that'd fade, though. And now I'm wary of anybody who gets over-enthusiastic or head-over-heels with anything quickly.

And Chass, I can quite relate to a lot of your story. February to November 2007 for Kate and I was in many ways mostly about physical companioship, and really it would've been best if it hadn't happened because we strung each other along and wore each other down emotionally as well. I think we both wanted something emotionally, but something different to what the other wanted, and ... I was not the sort of person she wanted, what with my distant intellectualism and all, while she was simply unwilling to accommodate what I wanted.

I now look back and shake my head and think I was fucking dumb, that it was all fucking dumb. God, relationships. At least my books don't decide to go out with my neighbour's bookshelf.

Kate and I were very close friends before we got into a relationship. For a while, I considered not doing anything because I didn't want to risk our friendship - but her friends assured me that she was head-over-heels with me and I'd be a fool to wait any longer. True enough; those early months were very good. I should've been smart enough to know that'd fade, though. And now I'm wary of anybody who gets over-enthusiastic or head-over-heels with anything quickly.

And Chass, I can quite relate to a lot of your story. February to November 2007 for Kate and I was in many ways mostly about physical companioship, and really it would've been best if it hadn't happened because we strung each other along and wore each other down emotionally as well. I think we both wanted something emotionally, but something different to what the other wanted, and ... I was not the sort of person she wanted, what with my distant intellectualism and all, while she was simply unwilling to accommodate what I wanted.

I now look back and shake my head and think I was fucking dumb, that it was all fucking dumb. God, relationships. At least my books don't decide to go out with my neighbour's bookshelf.
Yeah, I didn't know my ex too well before we started dating. If we'd been friends first, things would've been different. Actually, if we'd been friends first, I probably never would've started dating him.

It's funny. I met my current boyfriend right after I started dating my ex. And we liked each other immediately, but I was unavailable, and then we were just friends, and then he was dating someone else, and on top of it all there was that age-old fear that dating would ruin the friendship, but eventually I threw caution to the wind and went on a date with him, and then another, and another, and now we've been together ten months and it's been amazing.

:hug: I guess it turns out that the trick to getting over an old screwed up relationship is to get into a way better one. It washes the old all away. If only I were single and you and I lived in the same area :sigh:

Yeah, I didn't know my ex too well before we started dating. If we'd been friends first, things would've been different. Actually, if we'd been friends first, I probably never would've started dating him.

It's funny. I met my current boyfriend right after I started dating my ex. And we liked each other immediately, but I was unavailable, and then we were just friends, and then he was dating someone else, and on top of it all there was that age-old fear that dating would ruin the friendship, but eventually I threw caution to the wind and went on a date with him, and then another, and another, and now we've been together ten months and it's been amazing.

:hug: I guess it turns out that the trick to getting over an old screwed up relationship is to get into a way better one. It washes the old all away. If only I were single and you and I lived in the same area :sigh:

By about September 2004, Kate and I were pretty much the best of friends. And we were spectacularly oblivious to how much we liked each other. But back then, we pretty much functioned with the same mind. On LJ, we shared one icon, and whenever we used it for a comment, our mutual friends said that if they didn't make a point of reading the screen name, they didn't know which one of us had made the comment. I can't believe how in the space of only about 1.5-2 years, we became completely different people. It's part of why I'm very suspicious of anybody getting married at a young age, after seeing how rapidly we grew apart.

I do really miss being in a relationship, but god, I'll pass on all the politics that seem to inevitably arise at some point or another. Now I think I've become so wary of people and distant that I can't see myself getting emotionally involved in much at all. It feels weird to be this open right now about what happened. I was always more comfortable being quite withdrawn, then I opened up with Kate, and look where that got me, so now I've just withdrawn more. Might be why I've been so shithouse at merely even making friends at university. But god, I do miss having somebody to care about. I enjoy my solitude, but loneliness less so.

:hug:

Anyhow, looks like we're nearing a new thread. I've just been scanning the new masterlist. I added that Lulworth Cove that you pointed out recently, Chass, and in the process I discovered there is also a Lulworth in Tasmania.

And I said a couple of threads ago that I'd make a list of where we've been by continent/country/state, so I might get around to that. Might be good to see where the Superthread likes and where we've overlooked.

Hey, deadthread, I have a present for you! A work in progress. My list of where we've been by continent/country/state. So if anybody's interested and more than tumbleweeds are present right now, here are the first 100 threads.

AFRICA: 3 (Djibouti, Orange Free State, Ouagadougou)

THE AMERICAS

Canada:
Newfoundland and Labrador: 1 (Dildo)
Ontario: 2 (Bastard Township, Swastika)
Quebec: 1 (Saint-Louis-du-Ha! Ha!)
Saskatchewan: 1 (Uranium City)

Other: 3 (Dominican Republic, Fernando de Noronha, Territorial Collectivity of Saint Pierre and Michelin)

United States:
Alabama: 1 (Brilliant)
Alaska: 1 (Unalaska)
California: 2 (Disneyland, Rough And Ready)
Hawaii: 1 (Haiku Valley)
Idaho: 1 (Sexy Peak)
Kentucky: 2 (Big Bone Lick State Park, Hell For Certain)
Massachusetts: 2 (Fenway Park, Jamaica Plain)
Michigan: 2 (End Of Earth, Hell)
Missouri: 1 (Knob Lick)
Nebraska: 1 (Lodgepole)
New York: 2 (Alphabet City, Fresh Kills)
Ohio: 1 (Knockemstiff)
Oklahoma: 1 (Hooker)
Oregon: 1 (Boring Lava Field)
Pennsylvania: 1 (Centralia)
South Carolina: 1 (Sugar Tit)
South Dakota: 1 (Tea)
Texas: 1 (Cumby)
Utah: 1 (Virgin)
Virginia: 1 (Bumpass)
Washington: 2 (Humptulips, Whorehouse Meadow)
West Virginia: 1 (Paw Paw)
Wyoming: 1 (Bill)

ASIA
India: 2 (Bangaluru, Cumbum)
Japan: 1 (Kumamoto)
Sri Lanka: 1 (Saddam Hussein Town)

AUSTRALIA (itself x2)
New South Wales: 3 (Bogan Gate, Bumberry, Howlong)
Queensland: 2 (Gay and Lesbian Kingdom of the Coral Sea Islands, Geebung)
South Australia: 2 (Adelaide, Iron Knob)
Victoria: 3 (Blowhard, Jen's Room in Geelong, Tittybong)
Western Australia: 4 (Koolyanobbing, Middle Intercourse Island, Useless Loop, Wittenoom)

EUROPE:
Austria: 1 (Fucking)
Czech Republic: 1 (Vrbno pod Pradědem)
England: 9 (Devil's Dyke, Dumb Hope, Fingringhoe, Giggleswick, Hole of Horcum, Penistone, Torquay, Upperthong, Wetwang)
France: 2 (Anus, Pussy)
Ireland: 1 (The Mullet)
Liechtenstein: 1 (Kunstmuseum Liechtenstein)
Montenegro: 1 (Bar)
Moldova: 1 (Pridnestrovian Moldavian Republic)
Netherlands: 1 (Sexbierum)
Norway: 1 (Longyearbyen)
Russia: 3 (Kholat Syakhl, Kyzyl, Vagina)
Scotland: 1 (Twatt)
Spain: 1 (Morón Air Base)
Switzerland: 1 (Cunter)
Wales: 2 (Llanfairynghornwy, Three Cocks)

ONLINE AND FAKE
Fake: 1 (This Baby's Moustache)
Interference: 7 (AIWIU2, EBTTRT, EYKIW, IAMJ, POTDB, TCATT, Pop Survivor Round One)

OCEANIA
New Zealand: 4 (Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu, Te Urewera National Park, Tutaekuri River, Whakapapa)

OTHER:
Oceanic islands: 1 (Inaccessible Island)
Outer space: 1 (Comet 3D/Biela)

Still a Superduperdeadthread? Well, here's the full list for anybody who turns up. I am kind of worried that online/fake locations outnumber African and Asian locations ...

AFRICA: 4 (Djibouti, Fake, Orange Free State, Ouagadougou)

THE AMERICAS: 76

Canada:
Newfoundland and Labrador: 4 (Come By Chance, Dildo, Goobies, Pecker's Point)
Nunavut: 1 (Belcher Islands)
Ontario: 3 (Bastard Township, CN Tower in Ontario, Swastika)
Prince Edward Island: 1 (Crapaud)
Quebec: 1 (Saint-Louis-du-Ha! Ha!)
Saskatchewan: 2 (Climax, Uranium City)
Total: 12 (in 6 of 13 provinces/territories)

Other: 3 (Dominican Republic, Fernando de Noronha, Territorial Collectivity of Saint Pierre and Michelin)

United States:
Alabama: 1 (Brilliant)
Alaska: 1 (Unalaska)
Arizona: 2 (Broomrape Lane, Why)
Arkansas: 4 (Bald Knob x2, Goobertown, Smackover)
California: 4 (Disneyland, Rough And Ready, Weed, Zzyzx)
Delaware: 1 (Murderkill River)
Hawaii: 1 (Haiku Valley)
Idaho: 2 (Dickshooter, Sexy Peak)
Indiana: 2 (Ashley, Hooker Corner)
Kentucky: 2 (Big Bone Lick State Park, Hell For Certain)
Louisiana: 1 (Serena)
Massachusetts: 2 (Fenway Park, Jamaica Plain)
Missouri: 2 (Conception Junction, Knob Lick)
Nebraska: 1 (Lodgepole)
New Jersey: 3 (Cinnaminson, Loveladies, Shades of Death Road)
New York: 3 (Alphabet City, Attica Correctional Facility, Fresh Kills)
Ohio: 2 (Knockemstiff, Tumbleweed Restaurant in Chillicothe)
Oklahoma: 1 (Hooker)
Oregon: 1 (Boring Lava Field)
Pennsylvania: 5 (Bird-in-Hand, Centralia, Intercourse, Satansville, Woodcock)
South Carolina: 2 (Coward, Sugar Tit)
South Dakota: 1 (Tea)
Tennessee: 3 (Finger, Guys, Ramer)
Texas: 3 (Boggus Motor Company in Harlingen, Cumby, Dublin)
Utah: 2 (Mollie's Nipple, Virgin)
Virginia: 1 (Bumpass)
Washington: 2 (Humptulips, Whorehouse Meadow)
West Virginia: 2 (Mount Gay, Paw Paw)
Wisconsin: 1 (Sparta)
Wyoming: 1 (Bill)
Total: 61 (in 31 of 50 states)

ASIA: 9
Afghanistan: 1 (Kandahār)
China: 1 (Wanglik)
India: 2 (Bangaluru, Cumbum)
Indonesia: 1 (Fakfak)
Japan: 2 (Gofuku, Kumamoto)
Philippines: 1 (Sexmoan)
Sri Lanka: 1 (Saddam Hussein Town)

AUSTRALIA: 26 (in 6 of 8 states/territories)
Itself: 2
New South Wales: 5 (Bogan Gate, Bumberry, Howlong, Rooty Hill Holiday Inn, Woodenbong)
Northern Territory: 1 (Rum Jungle)
Queensland: 4 (Booby Island, Gay and Lesbian Kingdom of the Coral Sea Islands, Geebung, Texas)
South Australia: 2 (Adelaide, Iron Knob)
Victoria: 8 (8 Hiscock Road, Blowhard, Jen's Room in Geelong, Mount Buggery, Mount Difficult, Mount Disappointment, Mount Hopeless, Tittybong)
Western Australia: 4 (Koolyanobbing, Middle Intercourse Island, Useless Loop, Wittenoom)

EUROPE: 63
Albania: 1 (Crap)
Austria: 1 (Fucking)
Belarus: 2 (Brest Railway Museum, Slutsk)
Belgium: 1 (Museum Voor Oude Kunst)
Czech Republic: 1 (Vrbno pod Pradědem)
England: 21 (Beer, Blubberhouses, Booze, Devil's Dyke, Dumb Hope, Farnham, Fingringhoe, Giggleswick, Hole of Horcum, Little Snoring, Old Harry Rocks, Penistone, Pity Me, River Piddle, Shitlington Crags, Shitterton, Torquay, Upperthong, Wendy-cum-Jolly, Westward Ho!, Wetwang)
France: 5 (Anus, Bitche, Condom, Die, Pussy)
Germany: 1 (Wank)
Ireland: 8 (Cockhill, Dyke Parade, Hackballscross, Kilbrittain, Moneymore, Muff Diving Clubhouse in Muff, The Mullet, Nobber)
Liechtenstein: 3 (Balzers, Kunstmuseum Liechtenstein, Vaduz)
Montenegro: 1 (Bar)
Moldova: 1 (Pridnestrovian Moldavian Republic)
Netherlands: 3 (Doodstil, Monster, Sexbierum)
Norway: 1 (Longyearbyen)
Romania: 2 (Clit, Turda)
Russia: 3 (Kholat Syakhl, Kyzyl, Vagina)
Scotland: 3 (Cockplay, Devil's Beef Tub, Twatt)
Spain: 2 (Adiós, Morón Air Base)
Switzerland: 1 (Cunter)
Wales: 2 (Llanfairynghornwy, Three Cocks)

ONLINE AND FAKE: 11
Fake: 3 (Craggy Island, Stickittoandre, This Baby's Moustache)
Interference: 8 (AIWIU2, Desert Island VII, EBTTRT, EYKIW, IAMJ, Pop Survivor Round One, POTDB, TCATT)

OCEANIA/THE PACIFIC: 13
Federated States of Micronesia: 1 (Yap)
New Zealand: 10 (Bland Place, Blue Mountains, Ohai, One Tree Hill, Shag Point, Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu, Te Puke, Te Urewera National Park, Tutaekuri River, Whakapapa)
Pitcairn Island: 2 (Little George Coc'nuts, Where Reynolds Cut the Firewood)

OTHER: 4
Oceanic islands: 3 (Inaccessible Island, Scattered Islands in the Indian Ocean, South Sandwich Islands)
Outer space: 1 (Comet 3D/Biela)

As soon as I typed that, I thought "that's an unfortunate pairing!" :laugh:

I also like this:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom