Disillusionment with U2 ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gvox

Ghost of Love
I don't want to hijack another thread but something said there has me thinking...

Some say that people who still follow U2 closely are blind sheep or whatever. For instance "if Bono farted you think it would smell sweet" or similar comments.

They contrast this with their disillusionment with the band and how they think U2 has lost it's way etc.

Question: Is still sticking with U2 necessarily indicative of a brainwashed imbalanced fan base, or could it be that back when those 'older' U2 fans were 'originally' fans, that they themselves were imbalanced and failed to put the music and their idols (U2) into proper perspective in their lives?

and when U2 changed their tune (for lack of better way of describing it, I don't think they really did but that's the sense I get) these same fans sortof experienced a loss of faith in their idols because they had fallen in love with U2 as they wanted to believe U2 to be, not as how U2 really was?

Is it possible that they went too far in their admiration back then, and is that part of the recipie for losing faith in a band you like?

(this may sound like starving for content or whatever or you can flame or joke mercilessly as the case may be, but I have been kicking that around in my head for a bit, why people who were once so passionate about U2 could really lose that passion nowadays...)

My analytical and statistical compound inside my dome piece has told me that after extensive studies 01010100....011100101....010101

that I enjoy U2 because I think the music sounds good from just about every album.

My brain also suggests that, enjoying most/all the albums from the SAME BAND is not a ridiculous or crazy notion. It's not as if U2 have been death metal and Bach. They have the same signature sound on every album even if their sound has clearly evolved.

Can you love your same football team even if they're going to the playoffs with different players??? Somewhat of a poor analogy though. Same logo, same style, different sound.

I understand people dislike POP or HTDAAB, but I also don't understand why people who enjoy all the albums are blind sheep. It's a pretty elitist and pitchfork view of things.

gvox said:
Right, but have you analyzed why you feel this way?

I love U2, and I don't think I need to analyze what I like. It's just a matter of taste :shrug: why analyze it?

I'm with ya on this one gabe.. same feelings I've had for a while... It almost seems a crime here to just LIKE the band and actually not think Bono's an asshole...

I think Bono's a dork. I think Bono's a goofball. I think Bono is sometimes an idiot. I don't think he's an asshole.

And I like at least something about every album. Even on my least favourite album, I like a few songs. I also dislike something on every album. Even on my favourite album, I dislike at least one song and see a few things on others that I wish were changed.

I think this is the case with most fans. There's also love involved. In short, we love the band. We've been loving them for years, it's not unlike a relationship. Not a romantic one really... but more like the kind of relatiohship you have with your family. You love them but sometimes you want to smack them. But you still love them through the shitty stuff, because that's how love works. It's not about being a blind sheep, it's about having forgiveness and faith that they can do better.

Maybe the people that lost their faith in the band and see us all as blind sheep never really liked them properly in the first place. Or maybe they're in the closet about their true love for the band because they're ashamed of it or something.

Maybe they just want something to complain about :shrug:

DreamOutLoud13 said:
I think Bono's a dork. I think Bono's a goofball. I think Bono is sometimes an idiot. I don't think he's an asshole.

And I like at least something about every album. Even on my least favourite album, I like a few songs. I also dislike something on every album. Even on my favourite album, I dislike at least one song and see a few things on others that I wish were changed.

I think this is the case with most fans. There's also love involved. In short, we love the band. We've been loving them for years, it's not unlike a relationship. Not a romantic one really... but more like the kind of relatiohship you have with your family. You love them but sometimes you want to smack them. But you still love them through the shitty stuff, because that's how love works. It's not about being a blind sheep, it's about having forgiveness and faith that they can do better.

Maybe the people that lost their faith in the band and see us all as blind sheep never really liked them properly in the first place. Or maybe they're in the closet about their true love for the band because they're ashamed of it or something.

Maybe they just want something to complain about :shrug:

I agree on everything you just said. :)

And it's not like we can just stop loving them either. It's a love that can't just be broken on a whim.

It's totally and definitely a love/hate relationship. :yes:

DreamOutLoud13 pretty much summed it up with a few differences for me.

I like em most importantly musically, and like she said, I like something (if not all) from every album, and dislike SOME very FEW songs, or things they've collectively said as a band.

All in all, I'm in it for the long haul, and it's not a faddy thing for me to like them now, and not later. I'm jazzed as all hell for the next album! I can't wait! I seriously CANNOT WAIT!

Pop for instance....I strongly disliked it for quite a few years when it came out, but turning it on from time to time to give it a chance grew on me, and now its one of my favorite albums.

On a personal level, I commend them for putting their celebrity to good use. Easily they could go off on their merry way like many long-time successful musicians, and spend their money as they wish, keep a low profile, etc. But they (as a whole I am speaking, of course a couple are more vocal than others lol) speak out and raise a voice that is heard in front of millions from concerts, tv, interviews, and dvd's etc. They really do reach the masses.

Do I agree with everything they've ever stood for? No. Do I apreciate the effort and the heart behind it? 100% and I agree with most of it.

I'd say simply, I was a fan, I am a fan, I will be a fan. Cheers.

gvox said:
Are you my stalker? :shifty:

Ha! You jackass. No. Certainly not.

I look at 4 threads every day, and only 4. EYKIW, EBTTRT, Gatherings, and 3 Chords...When there is something worth replying to, I do. I am now regretting having replied to your sorry-ass thread! lolol
:lmao:

Galeongirl said:
I'm with ya on this one gabe.. same feelings I've had for a while... It almost seems a crime here to just LIKE the band and actually not think Bono's an asshole...

Honestly I think you are imagining that. You are creating constraints based on people's opinions not actual facts. It isn't a crime you just want to think it is a crime because not everyone agrees with you.

I love 80s U2. I like 90s U2. I think 00s U2 is good, but lacking something.

I am disillusioned with 2000's U2. I think it is kind of sad how fall they have fallen. Bomb and ATYCLB were terrible albums. Does that make me any less of a fan? No. Are people who love everything U2 does blind sheep? Maybe but that is their right. I have said it before. Criticism is a natural reaction to art. It is okay to look long and hard at the music. People who don't and celebrate anything the band do might be blind sheep but that is their right.

People who say you can't dislike part of their discography are just as ridiculous as those who strictly bitch and moan about them.

Screwtape while I don't personally agree with your assessment of those albums, I agree with your post in part, but fail to see why it would need to be expressed by anyone that someone 'might be a blind sheep' in the same context as a discussion of critique. It *feels like a crude/intellectually lazy way of undermining that persons critique, as if they can't possibly be giving it a fair critique if they like most/all of it.

And I agree pfan, and I don't think anyone so far has said that unless you like the entire body of work you are somehow disloyal or whatever. I'm not crazy about Elevation, Miami, to name a couple...:shrug:

Screwtape2 said:
I am disillusioned with 2000's U2. I think it is kind of sad how fall they have fallen. Bomb and ATYCLB were terrible albums. Does that make me any less of a fan? No. Are people who love everything U2 does blind sheep? Maybe but that is their right. I have said it before. Criticism is a natural reaction to art. It is okay to look long and hard at the music. People who don't and celebrate anything the band do might be blind sheep but that is their right.

Yep.

But this is where the thread will run into trouble, because for speaking truth, you will be slaughtered.

People who think that ATYCLB and HTDAAB are as good as JT and AB are tone deaf. They must be. There's no other explanation.

Having said that, "Sometimes you can't make it"- great song.
"Stuck in a Moment" - decent song. I also think "Miracle Drug" and "Crumbs from your Table" are ok songs.

BUT, as albums, the last two releases do not cut the proverbial mustard.

financeguy said:

because for speaking truth, you will be slaughtered.

People who think that ATYCLB and HTDAAB are as good as JT and AB are tone deaf. They must be. There's no other explanation.

No, you don't run into trouble for speaking honestly of your opinion, you run into trouble for stating it as The Truth, or Absolute Fact.

And that must be what you meant, I tried not to misconstrue it, but then you added that second bombastic statement which belittles people for having a different opinion. *that* is what gets you into trouble, it's just not cool. :down:

gvox said:
these same fans sortof experienced a loss of faith in their idols because they had fallen in love with U2 as they wanted to believe U2 to be, not as how U2 really was?

That's a great point! I've sometimes wondered this myself. In my opinion, in the 90s U2 seemed to be a whole 'nother band! The whole irony phase when they were sarcastic and cynical as hell and pretending to be the total opposite of how they were in the 80s... is when I fell in love with U2... around 1992. But was this the wrong time to paint this perfect picture of U2 in my mind? Because it wasn't true... they were pretending! Come 2000, they lost all the cynicism, the "oh who needs the pop kids?!" mentality and started catering to the same pop kids and fans like me were going "WTF are you guys doing??? This is not U2!!!"... Ohh but this is U2! You just tagged along at the wrong time when they were totally pretending to be cool. They were never cool!

:sad:

Sad story :lol: but that still doesn't make sense though. Cos even though I adore their 90s albums, I still also adore everything from Boy to Pop a little more than the last 2 albums. Ugh I dunno. :shrug:

I think it would be very easy for that to happen. I was absolutely flabbergasted when ZOO TV happened, I definitely had constructed this almost mythological outlook on the band, like they were revolutionary gods here to save the world or something when I was in my early to mid teens or whatever and '91 was certainly a shocker....it was unbalanced, to be sure, but then again I was youthful, I grew up and in a way got over it, clearly, and moved along...but I guess for some people that might not have been possible..I totally think that in 2000 they sortof left the irony behind a bit and are returning to the earnestness of their roots, and I don't think that's such a bad thing per se?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom