Disappearing Act

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Listening to it now. Picked up the 2cd/1dvd box this morning and have been listening the the 2nd cd all day.

Disappearing Act's not bad, I like it initially a lot better than the other new "reworked" tracks off the War and Joshua Tree remasters. What attracts me to the song is the music - I would have liked to have had the instrumental version in this set as well. I am very impressed with how much more full sounding the rest of the songs sound here compared to their original cd releases.

My only disappointment with this release is no "Maggie's Farm" either on cd or as part of the live set from the CoH show on the dvd. I think that was a stupidly cheap move on U2's part to avoid paying royalties.

Makes me wonder if U2 will skip including all the Rattle and Hum b-side cover songs on that set's inevitable remastered release.

T.B.

Personally, I really, really like it. Not sure if I like this or Yoshino Blossom more, but I'm leaning towards this.
EDIT: Would anyone agree that this should be played live at least a few times? Maybe sort of a Electrical Storm/Your Blue Room kind of thing where it gets played at two or three gigs to test it out.

Personally, I really, really like it. Not sure if I like this or Yoshino Blossom more, but I'm leaning towards this.
EDIT: Would anyone agree that this should be played live at least a few times? Maybe sort of a Electrical Storm/Your Blue Room kind of thing where it gets played at two or three gigs to test it out.

Yoshino Blossom sounds way too much like a mediocre variation of New Years Day. It's not a bad track, but the comparisons to NYD is just too striking and distracting to ignore.

If U2 ever decided to play any b-side or out-take from the '84 sessions, Disappearing Act would be far down the list under Three Sunrises, Love Comes Tumbling and even Sixty Seconds In Kingdom Come, not to mention some of the actual UF album tracks like Wire and Homecoming which have been virtually unplayed since the mid 80's.

T.B.

My only disappointment with this release is no "Maggie's Farm" either on cd or as part of the live set from the CoH show on the dvd. I think that was a stupidly cheap move on U2's part to avoid paying royalties.

Makes me wonder if U2 will skip including all the Rattle and Hum b-side cover songs on that set's inevitable remastered release.

T.B.

I was thinking the same thing when they cut out all the covers and snippets from the Paris concert in the Joshua Tree set. Surely U2 of all bands can afford to include the covers??

"Maggies Farm" being left out especially disappoints me since it was officially released on a compilation CD. Up until this I thought they had been doing a good job including all the related bonus songs with each album. I'm worried about what they will do for Achtung Baby and Pop when they'll have far too many b-sides, remixes and such to fit on one CD. I don't want anything left out!

I was thinking the same thing when they cut out all the covers and snippets from the Paris concert in the Joshua Tree set. Surely U2 of all bands can afford to include the covers??

"Maggies Farm" being left out especially disappoints me since it was officially released on a compilation CD. Up until this I thought they had been doing a good job including all the related bonus songs with each album. I'm worried about what they will do for Achtung Baby and Pop when they'll have far too many b-sides, remixes and such to fit on one CD. I don't want anything left out!

It was telling that they didn't include any of those tracks in the iTunes "(In)Complete U2" box set a few years back, even though many of the covers were available separately in iTunes. Maybe they licensed those songs for certain uses but not for others?

I think it's safe to say that Achtung and Pop won't be "complete" releases. There's really no way, especially if we're all hoping for an unreleased song or two from those sessions.

I think it's safe to say that Achtung and Pop won't be "complete" releases. There's really no way, especially if we're all hoping for an unreleased song or two from those sessions.

I say give us only real songs on the bonus disc - no remixes - except the single versions when applicable. Maybe do a best buy exclusive bonus disc that has a bunch of remixes from the era or something.

The b-sides disc of The Best Of 1990-2000 is what scares me. They left off so many real songs in favor of remixes.

Actually, I am utterly in love with Disappearing Act. It's an amazing song, a great hybird of UF U2 and NLOTH U2.

I am not such a fan of "Birdland" (I think Bono's voice is not consistent with original feel of the song, and I find the mix rather weak, with Eno's keaybaords pushed back into the background) and "Angels too tied to the ground" is ok but nothing too special.

But here they hit on a great backing track that somehow speaks to their current style.
I also like the keyboards by Declan Gaffney, he is shaping up to be a very interesting engineer/producer (I wasn't a fan of Richard Rainey, etc...).

I really think it should be played live

Disappearing Act would be incredible live. It's one of their best songs. The guitar sounds are just amazing. If they want a chanting song they should drop unknown caller and play this one. It's the best thing they've released in twelve years. It sounds new. How much of it is from the UF sessions? bass, drums and some guitar?

I'm surprised we haven't heard it live yet, maybe vancouver, last chance really. Figured they would promote the release with a single like they did with u218, WITS, but that was a different type of release.

I really like the song, it could easily replace some of the songs on the original album. Although I love it as an album there are weak points and those points truly are weak in my eyes. This one belongs on the album in my opinion.

I heard that the vocals were recorded just a few months ago on top of the original instruments, does someone know if that actually is true? It does sound like Bono does nowadays, but at the same time it doesn't. :lol: Sort of like a mix of how he sounded back in 1984 and now in 2009, it's hard to decide for me. :hmm:

For me, this boxset proves what I'd always suspected: UF would have made a better double album than JT.

Got the box set today from Amazon and they refunded me $15 bc of a price drop guarantee, what a deal! Very nicely put together, anyone know why we didn't get a full DVD concert like the JT remaster, wasn't Dortmund initially mentioned?

i don't like disappearing act. :reject: sorry i just think the lyrics are pretty bland and that fucking SYNTH!!! god! :angry: :huh:

I really like the song, it could easily replace some of the songs on the original album. Although I love it as an album there are weak points and those points truly are weak in my eyes. This one belongs on the album in my opinion.

I heard that the vocals were recorded just a few months ago on top of the original instruments, does someone know if that actually is true? It does sound like Bono does nowadays, but at the same time it doesn't. :lol: Sort of like a mix of how he sounded back in 1984 and now in 2009, it's hard to decide for me. :hmm:

The vocals are 100% from 2009.

Disappearing Act would be incredible live. It's one of their best songs. The guitar sounds are just amazing. If they want a chanting song they should drop unknown caller and play this one. It's the best thing they've released in twelve years. It sounds new. How much of it is from the UF sessions? bass, drums and some guitar?

I think it's bass, drums and guitar (including e-bow guitar) and that the overdubs are vocals by Bono and Edge and keyboards by Declan Gaffney.
The piano at the end is apparently from the Edge, I wonder if it comes from the multitrack version of White City quoted by the Edge in the liner notes.

Either way, great stuff!

I love the opening to this song. I feel like the chorus maybe shouldn't have opened. 1st Verse might've been better to open with.

The opening has that exuberant, unchained melody WITS melody feel I hope we get a full album of from the Rubin sessions some day.:up:

Also, if Bono wrote this in 2009, I really really hope he writes on SOA more in this abstracted TUF vein. Though I love most of the lyrics on NLOTH, DA has some GREAT lines.

Agreed with the lyrics. I wish he'd get an editor, though. I don't like the "alone like a painter's dog without a bone."

"Alone", in relation to "a dog without a bone" is a horrible cliche. Hate that line.

But the song overall is incredible, and the rest of the lyrics are just fine.

I really enjoy Disappearing Act, high quality tune.

Just kinda a little disappointed with the 00's vocal. It's not that I don't like the 00's vocal, I just that i don't like the fact that it's 00's. Hopefully, I'll get over it.

Also, if Bono wrote this in 2009, I really really hope he writes on SOA more in this abstracted TUF vein. Though I love most of the lyrics on NLOTH, DA has some GREAT lines.

For me, its not so much the lyrics, but the melody. I love how he sings them and the hooks he put in.

I want them to rerecord this with modern day U2 as the band. In fact, it should've been reverse, modern U2 playing, 80's Bono singing. :hmm:

if this is any indication of what SOA might sound like, we're in for a treat.

I know you'll be convinced

For the end of this line I keep hearing, "pink and reds," though search me as to how that ties in. :scratch: I take it there are no lyrics in the booklet?

I'm in love with the song anyway, and it has been stuck in my head for the past couple of days. I'm afraid to buy a copy of the remaster in case someone's getting it for me for Christmas, so have to do with Youtube!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom