Cockburn Street, Edinburgh, Scotland Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We're now listening to Wide Awake In Europe. What did they do to Mercy?! And fuck me Bono is a liability. His voice is shot and raspy, he's all over the place, he barely seems to care, yet he wants to be front and centre.

WAIT WOW THAT'S RIGHT I WAS AT THIS VERSION OF CRAZY TONIGHT.

...sorry folks I tried to save it from Bono half-arsing it but I couldn't. It's still cooler than most of NLOTH in studio at least.

Oh hello a Popmart version of HMTMKMKM that's right this band could fucking rock once.

If SOI already sounds bland and unremarkable to me now, I can't imagine how terrible it'll be in 5 years holy shit

Yeah no way is SOI as bland and terrible as NLOTH.

You not enthused about it Traviud?

And when do you want me to do a write-up for it? It'll be one third "hey here's some cool stuff", one third "oh I guess this is not shit", and one third "OH SHUT UP BONO".

Definitely not enthused. The first four tracks on SOI sound like U2 that's been mashed into a grey paste and artificially sweetened with top 40 saccharine thanks to Epworth and Tedder. No personality at all. Maybe if Danger Mouse had produced the whole thing I would be as thrilled with it as everyone else, but it still sounds like a confused commercial product to me, like a really interesting EP with a bunch of shitty singles tacked to the beginning this time instead of the middle. Nothing as inspired or absorbing as MOS though. The Troubles comes close, I guess.

Last edited:
From just listening/cringing to NLOTH, MOS is one of the better songs but not the best (it's well behind Magnificent, Fez, WAS, and NLOTH). Cedarwood Road rules, and EBW, Iris, and The Troubles are fantastic. I don't know who produced which song, nor do I care. People are obsessing so much over it, yet only for U2 do I even know who is involved with production. As long as it sounds good I really don't give a shit who's involved, and SOI sounds better than a lot of recent dross. Will it last? I'm not sure. That's why I'm not indulging in any hyperbole, or ranking the album particularly highly. But I feel like it has more potential to stick around with me than the last three. Time will tell.

In my case, I didn't look up the producers until I was finished with my first listen. Extremely bored, confused and irritated, I knew something was wrong. Sure enough, right where I started to greatly enjoy the record is where Danger Mouse starts to take control of the sessions. I hate that they keep doing this shit. They never learn from their mistakes. It's like the band thinks a handful of terrible songs needlessly thrown onto the album will keep them relevant. HTDAAB was an entire album of songs like that.

What's your take on the hilariously low RYM score for this one? I'm curious to see if it drops below 2.00.

Last edited:
I don't think there is a fanbase as obsessed with producers as the U2 fanbase.

What's your take on the hilariously low RYM score for this one? I'm curious to see if it drops below 2.00.

Do people actually take RYM scores seriously? I gave up on that site.

In my case, I didn't look up the producers until I was finished with my first listen. Extremely bored, confused and irritated, I knew something was wrong. Sure enough, right where I started to greatly enjoy the record is where Danger Mouse starts to take control of the sessions. I hate that they keep doing this shit. They never learn from their mistakes. It's like the band thinks a handful of terrible songs needlessly thrown onto the album will keep them relevant. HTDAAB was an entire album of songs like that.

I still don't know who produced what. Does Danger Mouse produce EBW, Iris, Cedarwood, and Troubles? Does some other loser produce California? That's all I need to know.

And of course the RYM score was going to blow with shit-tonnes of RYMers who don't want to hear U2 suddenly having a new U2 album. I must admit I expected (or, in the fullness of time, expect) HTDAAB and NLOTH to wind up lower.

I gave up on that site.

:(

Still my favourite way to find quality new music.

I still don't know who produced what. Does Danger Mouse produce EBW, Iris, Cedarwood, and Troubles? Does some other loser produce California? That's all I need to know.

And of course the RYM score was going to blow with shit-tonnes of RYMers who don't want to hear U2 suddenly having a new U2 album. I must admit I expected (or, in the fullness of time, expect) HTDAAB and NLOTH to wind up lower.

:(

Still my favourite way to find quality new music.

Every Breaking Wave: Danger Mouse Credited first
California: Danger Mouse credited last
Iris: Danger Mouse credited last
The Troubles: Danger Mouse credited first
Cedarwood Road: Danger Mouse credited first

So pretty much everything he had primary control over was good.

This Declan Gaffney fellow did a pretty decent job outside of California: he's credited on EBW, Iris, Volcano and The Troubles which pretty much make up my top 5.

Good work Danger Mouse. Even if when I read your name I think of Deadmau5.

The thing that pisses me off about RYM is that they keep convincing me to listen to albums by The Fall even though I don't really enjoy any of them.

No shenanigans, but if they seriously busted out any of the old demos on the tour (which isn't happening...but then again they played Scarlet for multiple shows last tour) they can jam out a two hour version of Pride and I WILL NOT CARE

CO-FUCKING-SIGNED.

Can you even imagine Life on a Distant Planet, The Dream Is Over, even Cartoon World? Fuck me dead.

The thing that pisses me off about RYM is that they keep convincing me to listen to albums by The Fall even though I don't really enjoy any of them.

What's up with people caring about The Fall. Mark E. Smith is a colossal tosser, so much more than Bono could ever be, and his ramshackle music sucks.

Dear U2,

You can play all of U2:18 if you want, just as long as the other five songs in the show are Heartland, One Tree Hill, A Sort of Homecoming, 11 O'clock Tick Tock, and ANYTHING PRE-BOY EVEN THE SHIT STUFF (I don't think there's shit stuff?).

Cheers,
Ax

BOOMERANG FUCKEN I.

SlXTY SECONDS IN KINGDOM COME.

ROWENA'S THEEEEEME.

When U2 signed up for Pop on the Box, I'm 105% sure that they mistakenly thought they were about to perform Top of the Pops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom