Brest, Belarus Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering why I didn't get the thread title!

Have you ever considered that Mynt is the reason you aren't scoring chicks?

Oh it absolutely is :lol: I just have too many mates that go there and there often isn't much else to do. And I have had quite a few awesome nights there. Apparently last night was one of the best ever (I MISSED ROSES!!!) but I was asleep by 10.30 :lol:

Oh and btw I'm listening to the Flaming Lips' six-hour song beat that :wink:

They're trolling, but it's real music. Just some of it is so long that it would literally take years to listen to it in full. Basically it's drone and ambient taken to their (il)logical extremes - or the most elaborate parody ever.

One of the band members himself has got into some epic elitist pseudo-intellectual bullshit arguments with detractors on Internet forums, and there are one or two other pseudo-intellectual self-important types around who are fans who similarly court flame wars on messageboards. I'm familiar with them thanks to recurrent RYM controversy, fuelled partly by some people who think that the releases shouldn't qualify for inclusion on the site.

That's around 5 PM my time? Yeah, let's plan on that.

Finishing up Blues For The Red Sun at the moment. Not as good as Sky Valley, but it rocks pretty damn hard.

Sweet as, I'll be here.

Agreed, Sky Valley is the better album, though Blues For The Red Sun starts strong and 50 Million Year Trip is fantastic. It dominates live too.

LM, I'm around now, so whenever you want to listen to this thing, let's do it.

I love how the title track is just a bit of absolute nothing.

Pause it, Axxo. Grooveshark fucked me over and I'm just going to download it to my phone.

The reviews for this album so far are all either gushing absurdity or hipster downraters.

Hah, righto, let me know when you're good to resume.

And yeah, the reviews on RYM aren't helpful in the slightest. Also note there's a strain of butthurt fanboy, the kind who expects EVERYTHING to be the next In Absentia and hates it when it's not.

All I got out of the reviews is that this is EPIC, which could mean epic fail for all I know. What this actually sounds like is weird ambient jazz and Porcupine Tree mixed together.

Hey, Steven sings on this album!

I can't believe it takes until the THIRD track for him to properly sing, when it's his singing that first really attracted me to PT.

Now, Deform To Form A Star is why I love this man's music so much. The chorus is fantastic; the guitar is thoroughly emotive in the best way.

So far, I like this more than The Incident. It has a unique sound, and it feels more fleshed out. Incident just felt like a bunch of a ideas slapped together + a few strong individual tracks in the back half + Bonnie the Cat.

The Incident has stood the test of time with me. I'm quite a fan of the first half of the "song cycle" - Blind House / Great Expectations / Kneel and Disconnect / Drawing The Line / The Incident is a fantastic sequence. I could do with some of the later stuff, though I Drive The Hearse is amazing (lulzy song title aside). My favourite, though, remains the second disc; Black Dahlia is probably one of my top ten PT songs, and Flicker and Remember Me Lover are not too far behind.

Confession: I have not yet heard Fear of a Blank Planet. It was a new album when I was first introduced to the band and I was wary of starting there, so I never got around to it. I also haven't heard The Sky Moves Sideways or Signify, so keep that in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom