Bono vrs. Mick Jagger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mick may not smoke cigars/cigarettes, but between him and Keith Richards, they probably tried smoking any (other) drug you can think of. :shrug:
Not that being slender is a requirement for what they both do, I guess he was more lucky in that department. (funny Zoo TV would be an example of "Bono in shape", by his own admission that was his fat Elvis era)

To eveyone who has replied, I'd just like to repeat that I don't think that Mick is more talented than Bono. I just think that Mick has done a couple of things that have shown him as a more professional and responsible musician and I wish that Bono would do these things so that he would be able to age and still do what he does. I really wish Bono were more responsible with himself, that's all.

And for whoever said Frank always smoked, Frank wasn't irresponsible enough (with his voice) to inhale. :wink:

Your post might have held a little more creedence if you'd avoided the whole "Bono is fat" bullshit.

News flash: not everyone's body type is the same, and for some people, exercise and healthy living isn't going to change what they'll look like as they age.

(edited because "you'll" is not the same as "they'll")

Last edited:
corianderstem said:
Your post might have held a little more creedence if you'd avoided the whole "Bono is fat" bullshit.

News flash: not everyone's body type is the same, and for some people, exercise and healthy living isn't going to change what you'll look like as they age.

Well, I have seen recent pictures of Bono and I can't stand how much he's let himself go. I'm sure he can afford a personal trainer and a decent nutritionist. So why doesn't he do it?

corianderstem said:
News flash: not everyone's body type is the same, and for some people, exercise and healthy living isn't going to change what you'll look like as they age.

I found the original post so upsetting because I just cannot stand comparisions like that. And IF you chose to compare Bono to other singers, please refrain from offending and attacking the man on a personal level which you have done in almost every sentence of your post. You were basically saying that he's stupid and fat and lacking talent Apart from that, when judging his voice, you obviously haven't been following the last leg of the Vertigo tour or the last tour in general and his vocals in recent years.

I just hope Bono NEVER becomes Mick Jagger, the guy just freaks me out.

last unicorn said:
I found the original post so upsetting because I just cannot stand comparisions like that. And IF you chose to compare Bono to other singers, please refrain from offending and attacking the man on a personal level which you have done in almost every sentence of your post. You were basically saying that he's stupid and fat and lacking talent Apart from that, when judging his voice, you obviously haven't been following the last leg of the Vertigo tour or the last tour in general and his vocals in recent years.

I just hope Bono NEVER becomes Mick Jagger, the guy just freaks me out.

I said that I think Bono is the most talented of the two. I also hope that Bono doesn't become Mick Jagger but I do hope that he learns a couple of things from someone who's been doing it a lot longer than he has.

On tour bono is in a lot better shape, and his falesetto? Much much stronger then it was the last couple of years but the point is he doesnt use it so much anymore.

schnumi said:
On tour bono is in a lot better shape, and his falesetto? Much much stronger then it was the last couple of years but the point is he doesnt use it so much anymore.

That's Edge doing the falsetto in Sometimes, BTW. Bono just can't do it right anymore thanks to his smoking.

Am i talking about SYCMIOYO? Im talking in general. Bono's falesetto is on the way back from where he left it after popmart.

I do hope that he learns a couple of things from someone who's been doing it a lot longer than he has.

The only things you seem to be suggesting is that he quits smoking and loses weight. I'm pretty sure he's at least making attempts at cutting down on the durries, and I think that's much more important.

It would be completely unnatural for him to have the zombie-like skinniness of Jagger. Do you see any other sixty-somethings looking like that? Or even many above forty? Full stop, even. No matter what Bono does, he'll still be 'fatter' than Jagger - and this sure as hell applies to pretty much all of us. As has been mentioned, Bono's often looked chubby at least since the mid 80s and nobody's made a fuss. It's a non-issue. It's unexpected of him to lose weight in such extremes.

Also, his falsetto will improve next tour. :up:

BrownEyedBoy said:
I just think that Mick has done a couple of things that have shown him as a more professional and responsible musician and I wish that Bono would do these things so that he would be able to age and still do what he does.

Yeah like decades of drugs...

To all those who are calling Bono fat, stop and think for a minute here. The reason young people have so many hang ups about their body image is exactly because of this type of thing. Sure maybe Bono could stand to lose between 10-20 pounds, but then again most of us could, but that does not make him fat. You have to remember as well that unless the photographers are using the right lenses to promote a slimer look the camera (especially TV) tends to add weight. Hairstyle and clothing style also contributes. Bono's extremely short haircut does make him look rounder and he does not tend to wear clothes that are slimming in style. That being said using the term fat for someone who is only slightly over ideal weight is extremely damaging and is a major contributing factor in body image problems. When you have a naturally chunky body type like he does you will never be able to appear as skinny as an ectomorph like Jagger and it is entirely unfair to compare the two. Furthermore to imply that it is somehow unprofessional for him to be slightly overweight is udderly ridiculous. If he were a fashion model you MIGHT have a point but I for one would like to see the idea that you have to be physically perfect to be a star bite the dust. If anything people like Mick Jagger and Steven Tyler are as much or more underweight than Bono is overweight.

Dana

Dana

This is totally ridiculous to me. Unless he is horribly overweight and it is affecting his stage presence and image, this should not matter. As long as the music is good, I don't care.

last unicorn said:

If you don't like what Bono and U2 are doing and have to INSULT Bono personally, why don't you go and join a Stones or another fanclub.

I think that to insult Bono personally, I have to actually BE with him, as in front of him...

ah.. the internet democracy... to say something and nobody complaining... :happy:

rihannsu said:
To all those who are calling Bono fat, stop and think for a minute here. The reason young people have so many hang ups about their body image is exactly because of this type of thing. Sure maybe Bono could stand to lose between 10-20 pounds, but then again most of us could, but that does not make him fat. You have to remember as well that unless the photographers are using the right lenses to promote a slimer look the camera (especially TV) tends to add weight. Hairstyle and clothing style also contributes. Bono's extremely short haircut does make him look rounder and he does not tend to wear clothes that are slimming in style. That being said using the term fat for someone who is only slightly over ideal weight is extremely damaging and is a major contributing factor in body image problems. When you have a naturally chunky body type like he does you will never be able to appear as skinny as an ectomorph like Jagger and it is entirely unfair to compare the two. Furthermore to imply that it is somehow unprofessional for him to be slightly overweight is udderly ridiculous. If he were a fashion model you MIGHT have a point but I for one would like to see the idea that you have to be physically perfect to be a star bite the dust. If anything people like Mick Jagger and Steven Tyler are as much or more underweight than Bono is overweight.

Dana

Dana

OMG, BONO IS THE BRITNEY SPEARS OF ROCKSTARS!!! :ohmy:

Last edited:
WTF ?

Reading this thread in disbelief...

I'm going to ignore the "Bono is overweight" point, which is (a) silly, and (b) not the main thrust of the original poster's argument.

His argument seems to be -- I hesitate to finalize my interpretation because what I've gleaned is so absurd -- that Mick (real name Mike) Jagger is the more "professional" of the two. This is the dumbest thing I've ever read.

Let's examine aspects that are conventionally said to matter about a rock band / lead singer:

(a) contemporary relevance -- R. Stones sell big but not massively anymore; sell out stadiums to play retro-greatest hits sets to baby boomers. U2's new material sells massively after 30 years together; sell out stadiums to play largely new material to all-ages audiences, including huge numbers of 20-somethings who revere them.
WINNER = U2

(b) Sales -- In terms of new material, it's obviously U2. For comparison, how big was 'Steel Wheels' compared to 'How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb'?
WINNER = U2

(c) artistic integrity -- Bono and U2 continue to do what they've always done -- write heartfelt music for the masses, taking some artistic chances along the way, but always mindful of their huge following. The Stones gave up all sense of integrity in 1972-73 to become a self-parody -- and they sold more records than ever. (Coincidentally, that period was when Mick "took over" the Stones as Keith fell into a downward spiral of drug addiction). U2 have always been 100% committed to U2. Mick lost interest in the Stones after the 70s, and was only reluctantly dragged back into the fold in the late 80s (and periodically since then) because his solo career was a minor flop. He gets back with the Stones to make music... as long as there's a $5million paycheque waiting for him after each tour.
WINNER = U2

(d) Vocals -- Jagger is plainly NOT a good singer by professional standards. You may love his voice, but I think it's obvious that Bono has always been a much more powerful singer with a much greater range. Not to mention that Bono's voice oozes sincerity and authority, whilst Mick's oozes self-parody, sarcasm, and sleaze. (A 'falsetto' is not that important in rock, is it? Maybe in opera...).
WINNER = U2

(e) performance on stage --- If Jagger had died in 1970, I might give him this one. But since the early 70s, he's been dancing around like an idiot in aerobics outfits, looking like a cross between a wrinkly ass and Richard Simmons. I do give him credit for his high energy performance, though, and for staying in shape. Bono might be a bit chubby, but I don't think he looks much worse than in 1985 -- should he go back to the mullet?
WINNER = We'll call it a TIE

I concede that Mick is a better guitar player than Bono, but who isn't? So, however I slice it, I feel your point is silly.

Why are we comparing the two frontmen anyway? I like the Stones but have never felt the need to compare them. They have their place and U2 has their place. I'm much prouder to say I'm a U2 fan than a Stones fan. U2 is the thinking man's band (or woman's in my case). Bono's singing truly comes from the heart, and if he's a bit off at times it just adds to what we know is his passion for the songs. The fact that he sometimes doesn't remember the lyrics doesn't bother me one bit. I've sung the songs a hundred times and I forget the lyrics sometimes, too. Granted, he's getting paid the big bucks, but it just doesn't bother me.

And why attack how he looks? He's a great person. But while we are attacking, Mick, on the other hand, is so thin that he looks like he's on death's doorstep. There's something to be said about carrying a few extra pounds into older age.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom