Australia/NZ - We Have Dates, But Still Desperate Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
sokki said:
is there still A reserve tickets left for adelaide? unless i'm not reading it properly/understanding properly, there seems to be. or maybe i'm looking at the map wrong.
There's not two together but you can get good single seats in the A-reserve. I just found Row F section 102! Not sure how that one slipped through.

Last edited:
yeah, well i just tried again and didn't get anything. i wouldn't want a seat anyway. but who knows. i'll probably get squashed and killed.

ShoutLikeStars said:

There's not two together but you can get good single seats in the A-reserve. I just found Row F section 102! Not sure how that one slipped through.

yeh u could still get singles in 133 Z and 134 A... that would struggle for vision though....

acoustics will be really tested at AAMI. especially if sitting at the back behind those northern goals.

im so excited about aami stadium! :D A show in my stadium....how fun! :D

Ebay shouldnt be allowed to sell tickets above face value! There should be like a thingy where it just can't be bid on over or something...its so fucked

I just hate thinking someone would pay so much for something! :(

Hmm, interesting thought Sokki, to be killed at an U2 concert... definitely not the worst way to go out.

Damn, that came out all creepy.

On another note, I kinda regret not getting an extra GA or two when I could've this morning. Would've made a good profit. But I was reluctant cos it just seemed inherently immoral for some reason. Not sure what you guys think.

From U2.com http://www.u2.com/news/index.php?mode=full&news_id=1832

More Shows For Auckland, Melbourne, Sydney
As a result of fan demand, U2//Vertigo//2006 have announced second and final shows in Auckland, Melbourne and Sydney. Tickets for these three new performances will all go on sale on Monday, December 12 at 9 AM local time. There will be no other extra concerts possible. Here's the dates and booking details:

Saturday March 18 Auckland Ericsson Stadium – Ticketmaster 09 970 9700 Web
Saturday March 25 Melbourne Telstra Dome – Ticketmaster 136 100 Web
Saturday April 1 Sydney Telstra Stadium – Ticketek 132 849 Web

The first five shows for Australia and New Zealand, which went on sale yesterday, caused an unprecedented demand for tickets. U2’s concerts in Auckland, Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane were virtual sell-outs, with 250,000 tickets sold including an unbelievable 160,000 during the first 90 minutes - breaking ticket-selling records across the country. The concerts were the quickest sell outs in the history of each venue with sales in Adelaide on the verge of breaking the largest ever concert attendance in that city.

It all started at 9am New Zealand time with U2’s on-sale at Ericsson Stadium in Auckland. All available tickets were sold within 90 minutes. At 9am, Melbourne time U2 at Telstra Dome went on-sale with all available tickets snapped up in just two hours. Not to be outdone, Adelaide’s AAMI Stadium went on-sale at 12.00 midday local time, with more than 30,000 tickets sold in the first three hours. Thirty minutes after the Adelaide on-sale, the Queensland Sports and Athletic Centre in Brisbane also went on-sale. Strong demand continued throughout the day with all available tickets sold out by late afternoon. Most spectacularly, the 70,000 tickets available at Sydney’s Telstra Stadium sold out in less than 50 minutes.

U2//Vertigo//2005//2006 is produced by The Next Adventure and RZO Productions, and presented in Australia and New Zealand in association with Michael Coppel Presents.

High Prices

Just some thoughts after following this forum for the last 2 days...

I'm sick of listening to everyone whine and complain about the high prices tickets are on EBAY. I realize not everyone has an equal opportunity to get tickets. But no matter HOW they offer tickets, it will be wrong.

The bottom line is who charges the fees? U2 - No... Ticketmaster??? No.... The people that want to go... 100%!

I've seen them at 4 North American shows this year and was in the Dallas venue when there were over 500 people vying for about 20 tickets that were "available". Everyone bitched and complained that Tier 2 tickets were going for over $300 a ticket. But people were paying it, or waiting for the show to start before the price would go down (which it never did).

U2 has been "sold out" at every venue they played this year, but obviously some have been more "Sold out" then others. Sometimes there were late ticket drops, sometimes, out of the goodness of someones heart, this forum had people offer face value for tickets. Someone said in a previous post that if someone offered me $4000 for a pair, they would take them. I don't know many people that wouldn't? I live in North America and If someone offered me a plane ticket for my ticket, do you really think I wouldn't take advantage.

I believe everyone should have a "right" to see u2, and recommend it to the highest level, but I've got over the whining and complaining that the tickets are too expensive. I've learned to just accept the fact that they are, and in the meanwhile, I have learned everything there is about how to get tickets, including being on this forum, which will ultimately give me the best chance of getting some. Granted most of you who havn't seen them will attack me because I have seen them 4 times this trip, so I don't know how I can defend that other then by saying each show is an individual entity. I want to see every show, and believe that every show is different, and would be equally as dissipointed if I had to miss one for whatever reason that I really wanted to attend.

Incidentally, as also mentioned many times, the second show will reduce the strain on the tickets, but you still have to have desire. If you want a ticket, you take the day off work, you get in line at 4 am, and you WILL have a ticket. It's really that simple. If you can't, find a friend. Otherwise do what I do and plug away at the phones, and the internet and hope for the best. Then when that doesn't work, well... then I have a few plan B's.

Anyways, just some thoughts..

Poppedtart

Last edited:
I think the complaints in here are just the disgust in the whole eBay system, mixed with the surprise in some of the prices those tickets are going for. If someone offered me $1k for my ticket, would I be going to the concert? No fucking way.

As for the cost price, I think Australia has probably got the cheapest tickets anywhere on the tour. Compared to other tours here by even far lesser acts, they are incredibly well priced. I don't think you'll find a single complaint about the price in here.

Earnie Shavers said:
As for the cost price, I think Australia has probably got the cheapest tickets anywhere on the tour. Compared to other tours here by even far lesser acts, they are incredibly well priced. I don't think you'll find a single complaint about the price in here.

GAs are slightly more expensive than in the US but most seats are the cheapest anywhere.

I'm still stunned at how cheap this all is.

As am i, i really thought GA would be 150+

and they made B reserve down from 150 to 130 which is great!

I am just VERY surprised at how much tickets are going for on the net, and am hoping with the annoucement of the second concert people will stop bidding and all the stupid scalpers will loose money! :madspit: :madspit:

Same, I was shocked by how cheap GA were... I think poopedtart was kinda off tangent.

Anyway, I think it's great they're not increasing the price of the second concert after seeing the monstrous demand. Also, knowing they need three 747 planes to cart their stage setting around, I'm wondering how little profit U2 is making from this tour...

Good luck on Monday ppl!

timothius said:

I didn't add Motley Crue by choice! :lol: Wasn't Motorhead supporting them as well?
:

I saw Oasis and Motley Crue live in the last week, and yes Motorhead did support Motley Crue. All three bands were fantastic.

The only band I hadn't seen before were Motorhead and they were awesome. They had one of the best drummers I think I've ever seen behind a drum kit.

And can I add that you really shouldn't knock a band (Motley Crue) if you haven't seen them live or know much of their material (not that I'm assuming you haven't or don't!). They may well be past their prime recording wise, but the fact is that they are still able to sell out arenas pretty much all over the world on the strength of their live shows and their back catalogue, 25 years after their first album, which is a pretty rare thing these days.

neilm said:
And can I add that you really shouldn't knock a band (Motley Crue) if you haven't seen them live or know much of their material (not that I'm assuming you haven't or don't!). They may well be past their prime recording wise, but the fact is that they are still able to sell out arenas pretty much all over the world on the strength of their live shows and their back catalogue, 25 years after their first album, which is a pretty rare thing these days.

I haven't really haven't gone through there entire catalogue (nor have I with Oasis either), but what I have heard came across as throw away rock tunes with a punkish edge, and I really wouldn't have put them in the class of the bands that I were in the post. But you obviously know a bit more of the catalogue so I won't push the point.

can anyone confirm if there.s a second melbourne concert. and does anyone know when the tickets go on sale for this second show?

timothius said:

I haven't really haven't gone through there entire catalogue (nor have I with Oasis either), but what I have heard came across as throw away rock tunes with a punkish edge, and I really wouldn't have put them in the class of the bands that I were in the post. But you obviously know a bit more of the catalogue so I won't push the point.

It's ok Timothius, I wasn't having a pop at you, so I'm sorry if it came across like that.

Motley Crue were always known as Glam Rock - bubble gum rock I believe is another word for it. They'll never be the best musicians in the world but when they come together, they can play well and entertain and when I go to a rock n' roll show, that's what I want, a great sounding band who are entertaining. A few catchy tunes here and there is another plus point!

The type of music that they play was huge around 1989 - mid nineties I guess, and I listened to a lot of that stuff - although U2 always remained my firm favorite as they were the very first band I saw live (excluding support acts!) when I was 11 years old, thanks to my Dad taking me along to the Milton Keynes Bowl (UK)Longest Day gig. I haven't missed a single tour since.

I've got a massive music collection and I take pride in knowing that anyone who comes to my house will find something they like in my collection of music, and I mean anything!!! It's a challenge I haven't lost yet!!

I played in original bands (one signed) and music was my life for a long time. It was all I did. It's why I always urge everyone I speak to about music to have an open mind. Listen to anything, give it a chance....sometimes you'll even amaze yourself with what you end up liking!

Keep lovin' the music..;)

Nah it's all good! I generally find "arguments" about music to be some of the most mind numbingly stupid things ever given its subjectivity, however there is nothing I love more than a good "discussion" about music!

I totally agree that you have to give everything a go. And while it's obviously not possible to go to every gig that comes this way, nor listen to every CD, you don't want to close your mind to anything that falls immediatly outside your comfort zone. Like you said you can surprise yourself... on Saturday at Homebake I found myself gobsmacked at how much I dug Ben Lee's set. And while I think he has a few minor kinks in the lyrical department (re: excessive repition) he is a tremendous musician and performer. His whole up beat/ folky/country act isn't somthing that would have naturally been that keen to.

Love somone with a big music collection as well! Are you a vinyl purist too? :hyper:

neilm said:

Motley Crue were always known as Glam Rock

No they weren't. There are two definitions of Glam Rock. The UKI version which is the late 70's Gary Glitter et al. Or the USA version which is 80's Hair Metal ie Motley Crew.

Australians use the term Glam Rock to describe the 70's bands. Please don't change history. :mad:

Speaking of history, it's been nearly 17 years since I saw U2 on the Lovetown tour. It's also been nearly 17 years since Simple Minds toured Australia. Next year I'll be seeing U2 and then two months later seeing Simple Minds. Just like 1989. I'm regressing and/or stuck in a pleasant loop in time :up:

Shag On A Rock said:

No they weren't. There are two definitions of Glam Rock. The UKI version which is the late 70's Gary Glitter et al. Or the USA version which is 80's Hair Metal ie Motley Crew.

Australians use the term Glam Rock to describe the 70's bands. Please don't change history. :mad:

Speaking of history, it's been nearly 17 years since I saw U2 on the Lovetown tour. It's also been nearly 17 years since Simple Minds toured Australia. Next year I'll be seeing U2 and then two months later seeing Simple Minds. Just like 1989. I'm regressing and/or stuck in a pleasant loop in time :up:

In the UK, when Motley Crue first arrived on the scene, they were put in the bracket of Glam Rock. The Hair Metal title didn't really catch on until probably the mid eighties and when it did, the Glam Rock title was firmly shoved back to the seventies where it belonged with bands like The Sweet, Mud and T-Rex. So in that respect I should have called Motley Crue 'Hair Metal' I guess!

In respect to changing history - no way. I'm more than happy to leave it as it is!!!
:lol:

timothius said:
Love somone with a big music collection as well! Are you a vinyl purist too? :hyper:

I used to be. I have a big vinyl collection which is currently being stored in my parents house in the South of France. It was one of the things I didn't bring over with me when I first moved to Oz but always have the intention of finally shipping it here.

There is some valuable stuff in there, U2 limited edition 7inches/12inches & pictures discs and hundreds of albums and singles from other bands. I used to scour the markets and record fairs for anything I could lay my hands on.

There are also a load of original Beatles 7 inches in mint condition that my Dad gave me when I was a kid that used to belong to him. There is also an absolute ton of stuff that others people would probably laugh hilariously at, but every one of those records is a part of me in some way!! All my first records I was given as a kid are there plus the very first record I purchased with my own money (a record voucher I got for my birthday), Status Quo, 12 Gold Bars......Classic Stuff!!!!

Well, I was shattered to hear the Melbourne tickets sold out in two hours. I had to go to school, so all was left up to my Dad. He told me that he wasn't successful - he'd tried ringing (engaged), the website (crashed) and even went to Ticketmaster just after 11. But he said we were on a waiting list for the second show, or even the cancellation of booked tickets.

But now I am thoroughly excited as I have substantial evidence to say that my parents are holding out on me till Christmas - getting worried on Monday night, I said to Mum in a very worried tone,
Me - "What am I gonna do?"
Mum -"Dad has everything under control."
Me - "What's that supposed to mean."
Mum - "Everything's under control, and that's all I can say."

And when I found out the tickets for the second show go on sale this coming Monday, I said -
Me - "Tickets for the second show go on sale Monday. I'm gonna ride down to Ticketmaster in the plaza at 6am."
Mum paused then - "Can I just say Dad has got it covered."

I had to turn away so to not reveal the biggest smile ever on my face. I won't get my hopes up, but if Mum says there's no need to go to Ticketmaster, then I'm pretty happy!

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

That's great, COBL_04. What a great gift to open on Christmas Day.

I first saw U2 play their Lovetown tour, and my dad drove me and 3 of my friends for over 2 hours to go and see them, then slept in the car through the concert.

You gotta love your parents, they can be pretty cool sometimes!

jonnytakeawalk said:
Just wondering, does anyone who's brought tickets over the phone know round abouts how long it will take till their sent out?

I'm not guna be completely happy and confident until I'm actually holding my ticket!

internet bookings will be mailed in january... so it could be around there

i dont get my ticket until concert day. man... gonna be stressful during the lead up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom