Australia/NZ - We Have Dates, But Still Desperate Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
timothius said:

I think Adeladie will be somthing, I really do. I love it the atmosphere when a smaller centre get a big event like this... it will be really electric.

Outside of Auckland, I think Adeladie is the place to be baby!
I totally agree with you. This town has been U2 mad the last week and it really showed in the ticket sales. Likewise with the NZ concerts, you can really sense that the people are ready for it, these are regions who rarely get huge events like this and I'm confident we'll make the most of it. St Patricks Day in NZ, Vertigo 1 Year anniversary in Adelaide, the signs are very positive.

My friends are already planning to make a day of it, massive bbq outside the football stadium, lots of beers, and someone is already looking into buying about 40 fly goggles to wear on the day. We've all gone mad.

BizzaD said:

Wow - thats fair to all the fans.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Besides, I can 110% confirm that they all went to 110% die hard U2 fans. I don't work for a bank or something, they're not being used for anything 'corporate'.

Sken said:
This has really exceeded my expectations for Adelaide, its gonna be such an awesome day/night.

The only other stadium I am familiar with is Colonial...I know that the train station is nearby...and a fair walk if I remember rightly. AAMI is great because it has West Lakes Mall right across the road...heaps and heaps of coffee shops, fast food places in there...McDonalds is right across the road from AAMI on the perimetre of the car park on that side...and getting a drink, going to the toilet etc will not be hard at all.
Traffic can be a bit of a night mare when trying to get out of the area [ask anyone who goes to a sold out footy game there at night]...but it's handled very well, and maybe they will use the buses for this gig the way they do for games at AAMI.

S.

kennerado said:

hold on, those Melbourne and Sydney figures are without people on the field.
I'd say it will be more like:

Sydney: 100,000 (seriously)
Melbourne: 70,000

No, I think Melbourne's is accurate, as I believe I read the concert record is just a touch over 56,000. If U2 are lucky, they could squeeze in 60,000.

Sydney, though - that place holds 80,000+ for sport and the smallest end is blocked off, so surely the field holds more than that blocked end.

I think Brisbane is roughly 50,000. It holds 49,000 for sport but the end blocked off isn't particularly large, so I think the field will hold more than that end.

In any case, the per capita attendance to U2 here is awesome. New Zealand looks set to equal Australia's per capita attendance with this second Auckland giig too. Amazing.

I think the capacity for all the venues will be pretty much the same for sport etc, the sheer size of it will knock out the same amount of seats that will be replaced on the field. Maybe Pup can give us an exact figure but anything over 85,000 would have me in :shock:.

Congrats to Australia to they do pull it off, this is almost like ZooTV Christchurch where like 10% of the city turned out to the show (Axver knows the exact figures).

Also I don't know if I am the only whose faith in music has been restored a little over the past weekend. I mean in Sydney alone we have seen the Foo Fighters do a two night stand at the Dome, Oasis pack two nights at the Horden, Joe Cocker running three nights at the State, people lining the streets for days to secure U2 tickets, while The Finn Brothers headline a fairly solid Homebake bill in the most amazing way (not to mention an warm up gig to a packed Enmore on Thursday Night). I think we have been very blessed.. maybe music isn't doomed after all? :up:

kennerado said:

hold on, those Melbourne and Sydney figures are without people on the field.
I'd say it will be more like:

Sydney: 100,000 (seriously)
Melbourne: 70,000

Every news report tonight has quoted "70,000 tickets sold in under an hour" for Sydney. I guessed about 100,000 earlier, but that was before any of the seating plans were out. A third of the seats have been excluded from sale. That knocks the stadium back down to 50,000 seats. Plus 20,000 on the field and it makes sense.

Earnie Shavers said:
Sydney = 70,000 (plus a potential extra 70,000)
Melbourne = 55,000 (plus a potential extra 55,000)
Adelaide = 45,000 (a guess)
Brisbane = 45,000 (a guess)

TOTAL = 340,000 (including the second shows in Sydney & Melbourne)

Thats 1.7% of the national population.

For U2 to do the same per head of population in the US, they'd have to sell over 5 million tickets.

That really is some impressive numbers. I just did some quick calculations on Adelaide, our population is around 1.5 million last I checked, 45,000 tickets sold equates to around 3% of the population here attending. I don't know the populations figures ofn the other states, anyone like to shed some light on those too? Calculate the fact that Sydney, Melbourne and Auckland will most likely have two sellout shows.

I can say that being a South Australian I was overwhelmed but very happy about the response to this Adelaide gig. I was on the phone for 3 HOURS continually hitting redial before I finally got through but I still got 2 GAs....
If we've hit 30,000 so far then that's fantastic because the ZOO TV gig here didn't even get that.
What surprised me was that I wasn't talking to a real person but actually a pre-recorded person!!! since when has that been the going practice?

timothius said:
Also I don't know if I am the only whose faith in music has been restored a little over the past weekend. I mean in Sydney alone we have seen the Foo Fighters do a two night stand at the Dome, Oasis pack two nights at the Horden, Joe Cocker running three nights at the State, people lining the streets for days to secure U2 tickets, while The Finn Brothers headline a fairly solid Homebake bill in the most amazing way (not to mention an warm up gig to a packed Enmore on Thursday Night). I think we have been very blessed.. maybe music isn't doomed after all? :up:

Sydney has gone mad for concerts this year. EVERYTHING sells out in lightning speed. Small gig to huge festival. The above, you forgot the big Jamiroquai gig at Centennial Park, and, of course, Motley Crue!

Foo Fighters = 40,000 over two SuperDome gigs.
Homebake Festival = 55,000
Oasis = 14,000 over two Horden gigs.
Jamiroquai = 25,000
Motley Crue = 20,000
Finn Brothers = 3000 @ Enmore
Joe Cocker = maybe 8000 or so over 3 nights

That's 160,000 over 5 days.

And people say there's never anything on in Sydney.

EDIT: Of course there's also the several hundred people or so who caught The Strokes at the Gaelic Club last Tuesday night.

Last edited:
I think we should write a volume of Epidemiology of U2 in Australia.

70,000 in Sydney for U2. Wow. Imagine the when 'One' comes on.

is there still A reserve tickets left for adelaide? unless i'm not reading it properly/understanding properly, there seems to be. or maybe i'm looking at the map wrong.

Earnie Shavers said:

Sydney has gone mad for concerts this year. EVERYTHING sells out in lightning speed. Small gig to huge festival. The above, you forgot the big Jamiroquai gig at Centennial Park, and, of course, Motley Crue!

I totally forgot Jamiroquai. I remember seeing the tickets pop up for that months ago thinking... they do realise Homebake is on that do. Obviously not, didn't they add another gig on the Sunday as well?

I didn't add Motley Crue by choice! :lol: Wasn't Motorhead supporting them as well? And of course the Kaiser Cheifs were supporting the Foo's.

Insane, its not so much the amount, but the quality. :hyper:

Also, I love that 150,000 in 5 days by numerous huge bands which will be eclipsed by 1 band over 2 nights. :lmao:

Last edited:
This Vertigo date could be the biggest single-act concert ever in Adelaide, couldnt it?
Only a few other artists have had stadium gigs here, like Madonna, Michael Jackson (i think) and Rolling Stones, not sure what they pulled in their day but i'm thinking 35-40,000???
Anyone know what the record for concert attendance is here?

Hi Guys ,
Have we heard any concrete news re syd 2 or melb 2 going on sale 2morro or Friday ?
Sken am coming to Adelaide and owe you a few beers :)
Coopers are on me !!

ChargedVT said:
I can say that being a South Australian I was overwhelmed but very happy about the response to this Adelaide gig. I was on the phone for 3 HOURS continually hitting redial before I finally got through but I still got 2 GAs....
If we've hit 30,000 so far then that's fantastic because the ZOO TV gig here didn't even get that.
What surprised me was that I wasn't talking to a real person but actually a pre-recorded person!!! since when has that been the going practice?

I reckon I must have been the only person in Adelaide who believed this would happen...most people before today thought I was a bit crazy...smiled politely at me, then walked away shaking their heads. People often under-estimate us...now...if we could just get our new airport functional before then...then I'd be truly amazed.;)

Sharon.

BTW: can I just say what a really wonderful group of people you all are here...no pretentions, no us v's them mentality...very refreshing and makes being here a real pleasure....so thanks.

I think the Sunday gig didn't sell anywhere near as well as the Saturday gig, and they 'folded' the Sunday gig into Saturday and moved it to a larger spot in Centennial Park.

Fair enough. :up:

Of course in the wash up of this Green Day are about to return to a sold out Telstra Dome and SCG as well. Although I don't quiet know how this furthers my "music on the mend" argument.

Also, everyone with iTunes should check out the celebrity playlist on iStore for Evermore. If anyone was doubting my choice for opener, surely anyone that has Hawkmoon 269 on there deserves the spot!

I don't think Green Day are selling that well. There is a new billboard for the concert on Parramatta Road that is about the size of 4 buses. Seriously. I thought the SCG was a crazy/stupid/ludicrous stretch for them, and I may be right....

celticbhoy said:
Hi Guys ,
Have we heard any concrete news re syd 2 or melb 2 going on sale 2morro or Friday ?
Sken am coming to Adelaide and owe you a few beers :)
Coopers are on me !!
The more the merrier. We should try to get as many interferencers together as we can, this way at least everyone around us will know the words to all the songs even if Bono doesnt:)

timothius said:

I would almost gurantee it's a bogus bid. If it's not, I'm sorry guys but if my GA's are worth $4,000 each I am going to sell them. :lol:

mum told me tonight when i'm sleeping she's going to put my ticket on ebay.

i do find it hard to believe that someone would pay that much. seriously... i just don't know.

well look at the bidding history or whatever... i don't think they would seriously go for that price.

if that was real, that would be sad. people buying tickets to make a profit like that when people who really want to go have to miss out. i know that's what they're doing anyway, but that's just bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom