Auckland I - New Zooland Setlist Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There was an article that @U2 had sent out yesterday, I don't remember which paper it was in, I'm guessing one in NZ, but it said that fans were horrified and/or appalled or some such that the band played I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, because of the mining tragedy.

Was that actually the reaction of the crowd? Or did they seek out the two or three fans who were actively looking for any reason to be offended?

I have to be honest, it took me a minute to realize why anyone might be offended with that connection, but I still found it to be a bit of a stretch.

Was that actually the reaction of the crowd? Or did they seek out the two or three fans who were actively looking for any reason to be offended?
If it's the latter, someone should send them a link to the Red Hill Mining Town thread...:wink:

. . . and didn't I read somewhere that rehearsals only take place in the first city of a leg :)lol: . . . using *leg* in this context always makes me giggle :reject: ) . . . I could have been dreaming; actually I hope I was dreaming because I really really really want to be that sad girl sitting outside ANZ in a couple of saturdays listening for a little morsel of loveliness :hyper: :)

EDIT ~ just re read and realised that I came off a little sarcastic, and that was not my intent at all :)

There was an article that @U2 had sent out yesterday, I don't remember which paper it was in, I'm guessing one in NZ, but it said that fans were horrified and/or appalled or some such that the band played I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, because of the mining tragedy.

I have to be honest, it took me a minute to realize why anyone might be offended with that connection, but I still found it to be a bit of a stretch.

i would expect they chose the three dumbest people in the crowd (if not the world). when bono introduced it he essentially made it clear that it was to sing for hope and happiness.

you've got to be the biggest twat on earth (and probably reading the setlist, rather than actually being at the show) to make that connection instantly.

That's what I was guessing. :)

great guess.

one tree hill was the definite mining tribute song on both nights and you've seen how that went, and the songs either side (knowing i still haven't found lives in that setlist spot, but i digress) were upbeat but mindful, so that playing one tree hill in such a way didn't destroy the vibe of the show.

i think i might need to open a stream of consciousness and write a review.

Shouldn't there have been Melbourne rehearsal news by now?

Like DRay said, it's still the early morning here, and the stage wasn't even complete last night. Hopefully a soundcheck this afternoon.

. . . and didn't I read somewhere that rehearsals only take place in the first city of a leg :)lol: . . . using *leg* in this context always makes me giggle :reject: ) . . . I could have been dreaming; actually I hope I was dreaming because I really really really want to be that sad girl sitting outside ANZ in a couple of saturdays listening for a little morsel of loveliness :hyper: :)

Rehearsals on the nights before a show only happen at the first show of a leg. Soundchecks on the day of the show are normal and common, though it's sometimes by the crew ... in a city with two shows, U2 will do at least one of the soundchecks.

Like DRay said, it's still the early morning here, and the stage wasn't even complete last night. Hopefully a soundcheck this afternoon.

i have to wonder whether any vital parts of the show were delayed by the auckland runway lights failure, although you'd think if it were that vital they'd have had it on the plane and gone in around about 12 hours after show time, not 24+.

all of that said with no knowledge of how close cut everything was when they were playing the rest of the world.

Oh, that's right - it's December in Australia already!

<--- slowly getting the hang of the intercontinental time difference

Back
Top Bottom