Article describes new song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
doctorwho said:

Wow... that was perhaps one of the rudest things I've read here in a long time - and that even goes beyond all the mini-flames that the moderators nicely extinguish.

Basically, you insulted Bono's weight (apparently his injuries should be ignored - it's more important that Bono looks good to you), that he's "not cool" and that his lyrics aren't up to par.

Gee... if this is what you do to a band you like, I wonder what you do for other people you like. "Hey Merry Christmas, honey! I didn't get you that new coat you wanted as I didn't think it would look good on your bloated body. Instead, here's a Stair-Master. Use it."

:sexywink:

LOL BONO IS FAT:|

I just listened to 400 about 4 times. Well I'm still sure 400 is 6-8 (no drums but the piano is unsophisicatedly banging away 1-2-3-1-2-3), I'm not convinced it is the single. I just can't hear the "biggest song," if by that he measn "biggest hit," even if I do hear psychadelic. Then again, the reason is that I don't think a piano song from U2 can be a huge hit, and he says it's a piano song. I agree it would take a lot of reworking.

I do take heart in Bono saying,

"And that younger man you are referring to had the stupidity and the courage to sing his heart and his head out."

Let's have it. That, with Edge cutting lose, could make the kind of rock music that we haven't heard from them in a long time. (Am I the only one who'd like to see them go back to the rough-and-tumble Boy sound for inspiration?)

That description reminds me of "Original Of The Species" one of the best U2 songs ever.

If this is the direction they're going in, I'll be very, very happy.

Utoo said:

I can't tell if the sexywink means you're joking or not....I'm hoping yes!

As a doctor, I think he needs to work on his weight for health reasons. :D He also needs to quit smoking. (and his weight isn't just from the injury--in the last two tours, he's been skinny at the start and heavier at the end). As a fan, I think he needs to work on his weight because he doesn't move anywhere near the way he used to (and still could, despite age, if he were in shape); plus image-wise, the BD video is much cooler--and as superficial as it is, probably more beneficial to the band's image, too. And he needs to quit smoking because scratchy is nice, but not that nice.

As for me agreeing with him when he says he's become a bit "too cool," I think that's pretty obvious. At times, Bono pretty much seems to have become a cross between a 46-year-old version of the Fly and the career-end Elvis that he's mocked in characters and songs. At other times, he's still the same kick-ass Bono. It'd be nice to get a higher percentage of the latter & lose the former.

As for the lyrics, I love ATYCLB and HTDAAB--a ton. But I wouldn't mind having some more bite in the lyrics once again. I don't need the burnt-out vibe from, say, Pop...but I wouldn't mind some of the bittersweet that made JT & AB so great, or the fire of War.

Essentially, I don't think it'd hurt for U2 to be less media-saturated & perhaps have a bit of a mini-reincarnation, perhaps starting with the B. And from a few of his lines in that article, it looks like he has an inkling of the same feeling.

I've been on this site for like 500 years and people still can't tell that I'm never serious.

*gets sledgehammer to drive the point home.

While I did think your comments were rude, I was teasing.

However, Bono has gotten heavier on past tours too (see ZOO TV). I fully understand. Every day he's flying to a new place. He's eating out every single meal. He's keep irregular hours. He's being wined and dined by other celebs. For those of us - like me - who are more senstive to weight gains and losses, these types of variations can and do make a difference. Heck, after all these years, it even looks like Adam and Edge put on a few pounds! :ohmy:

Combine that with Bono's injury making it nearly impossible for him to exercise. So now he can't burn the calories that his touring lifestyle is packing on.

But the way you write is if Bono ballooned to 300 pounds! The poor man is maybe 20 pounds overweight and is in his mid-40's! Yes, I'm sure he wants to lose it, but to say you are "concerned for his health" over this weight is definitely ridiculous.

As for "bite in the lyrics", I'm torn as to what you mean. Bite as in the rather banal "With or Without You"? Bite as in the repetitive "Ultraviolet"? Bite as in the ludicrous "Miami" or "Babyface"? Bite as in the nonsensical "Elvis Presley in America"? Bono has written some very powerful songs and he's one of my favorite lyricists. But not everything is brilliant - and I'm happy for it! I want a simple "Elevation" in there! It's fun and light and it rocks! I don't always want to be thinking of a "Bullet" or "One". Oh, and speaking of "One", ask Axver what he thinks of that. While most U2 fans adore the song and feel it's one of Bono's best lyrical moments, he abhors it. So "bite" is way too subjective for me. Thanks. :wave:

As for the cool part... ya know, everything goes in circles. Bono was wicked uncool back in 1999-2001 when he was getting the whole Jubilee/DATA campaign going. But now it's very chic for a celeb to be involved in such causes. So even though Bono's stayed the same, he's now "cool". LOL! But I thought he was cool during JT with his look and I thought he was cool for ZOO TV. So if him being "cool" is a bad thing, then that's a shame, because some of U2's and Bono's best work came when I thought he was cool. :yes:

As for vocals... I thought his vocals on "Bomb" and the entire tour were the best I've heard since ZOO TV - and at times right up there with the JT/Love Town tours! I'm not sure how much smoking he does now, but supposedly he's cut down significantly or even quit - and I think the proof is in his voice.

Varitek said:
Then again, the reason is that I don't think a piano song from U2 can be a huge hit, and he says it's a piano song. I agree it would take a lot of reworking.
What about 'New Year's Day' and 'Sweetest Thing'? :wink:

(Am I the only one who'd like to see them go back to the rough-and-tumble Boy sound for inspiration?)
I think some of that territory has been explored already on songs like 'Vertigo' (even more in its original incarnation, 'Native Son') and even 'Dirty Day'. At least I think that's what you mean by "rough and tumble". Also, some aspects of 'Beautiful Day' really reminded me of the Boy/October era when I first heard it. Ultimately, though, I don't want U2 to revisit their past anymore. Bomb felt very retrospective to me, and I think it's time for them to cut out new pieces of fabric and dabble in new colours and shades and textures once again.

Secondly, U2 should never force something. It sort of worries me when I hear Bono saying he wants to feel the same way as he used to when he was younger. They can't just go back to innocence. It's never as triumphant as the first time. It requires discovery as a key component. As Bono said back in the 1990s, people listen to certain songs not because they are great, but because they remind them of something that was great. That's dangerous territory for any artist....and I would hope that U2 avoid it like the plague in the future. They need to go on and discover something entirely new. That's the only way they will create something just as triumphant again.

doctorwho said:

"Hey Merry Christmas, honey! I didn't get you that new coat you wanted as I didn't think it would look good on your bloated body. Instead, here's a Stair-Master. Use it."

:sexywink:

:lmao: :laugh:

I woke up my mother who was asleep on the couch from reading that.

Good thing I wasn't drinking anything. ;)

Last edited:
Varitek said:
I just listened to 400 about 4 times. Well I'm still sure 400 is 6-8 (no drums but the piano is unsophisicatedly banging away 1-2-3-1-2-3), I'm not convinced it is the single. I just can't hear the "biggest song," if by that he measn "biggest hit," even if I do hear psychadelic. Then again, the reason is that I don't think a piano song from U2 can be a huge hit, and he says it's a piano song. I agree it would take a lot of reworking.

I do take heart in Bono saying,

"And that younger man you are referring to had the stupidity and the courage to sing his heart and his head out."

Let's have it. That, with Edge cutting lose, could make the kind of rock music that we haven't heard from them in a long time. (Am I the only one who'd like to see them go back to the rough-and-tumble Boy sound for inspiration?)

Hehe a return of the fro and some "pop and slap"? :hmm:

This song will be so damn good, I can taste it. Some people will complain, but that's inevitable. There are people here who don't even like 'One' or 'Bad' afterall. But I like pretty much everything U2 puts out, so.....I can hardly contain myself. A psychedelic pop song with soaring strings and haunting piano???? Sounds delicious. :hyper:

The John Tree said:
If it's in 6/8, you can rule out all of the beach clips.

And thank God for that.

That's not quite true. 400 is clearly in 6/8, the others are all in 4/4.

In any case, the time signature of the song is hard to change, whether it has strings or piano is not ie. strings can be added at any time, and dare I say the beach recordings are unfinished. The argument that 400 hasn't got strings therefore does not wash.

MrBrau1 said:
That description reminds me of "Original Of The Species" one of the best U2 songs ever.

If this is the direction they're going in, I'll be very, very happy.

I couldn't agree more. It's actually a pity that they didn't put the single version of OOTS on the compilation. Would've been a great addition and bring it to an even bigger audience. OOTS is one of the best things that they've done in a long time, and I certainly agree with Bono that it should have been a huge hit.

I also agree with this comment about 400, which could also be said about OOTS:

Murray said:

Very Beatle-esque

400, from the very first time I heard it, has stuck in my head as a superb song. It has a great hook, a great melody, and some lovely twists and turns. If, indeed, it is Window in the Skies, it deserves to be a massive hit, and will make U2:18 worth it. The future is bright!

The Slow Loris said:

What about 'New Year's Day' and 'Sweetest Thing'? :wink:

I'll give you Sweetest Thing, as it's being included on U218, but I don't think that in this moment in contemporary music a piano song is going to be embraced as a huge hit. Look at OOTS - despite tons of marketing and 629 versions of the video it never hit it big. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for the piano and strings, I love piano, but it's hard for me to see it being a huge hit. Perhaps it's just Bono's huge ego? ;)

I think some of that territory has been explored already on songs like 'Vertigo' (even more in its original incarnation, 'Native Son') and even 'Dirty Day'. At least I think that's what you mean by "rough and tumble". Also, some aspects of 'Beautiful Day' really reminded me of the Boy/October era when I first heard it. Ultimately, though, I don't want U2 to revisit their past anymore. Bomb felt very retrospective to me, and I think it's time for them to cut out new pieces of fabric and dabble in new colours and shades and textures once again.

Yes, I like the rock and roll feel of Vertigo, and Native Son. I don't see Boy/October in Beautiful Day. One of the reasons I liked Bomb is that it was retrospective and fresh all at once. I'd like to see the next album have more of the fresh, for sure, but when I say "inspiration" I guess I mean that it would be nice for them to make a rock album, not a rock-pop album (I love softer stuff of late, OOS, MD, Walk On, especially SYCMIOYO, even Grace - NOT Wild Honey - but I want to rock out for a change). Let Edge lose, let him burn down the house, whatever. Let Edge show he's still got an Electric Co in him and let Larry show he's still got an I Will Follow in him. Let them all get a little Out Of Control.

That's just what I'd like to see. I want it to be new, have a fresh feel, but I want it to be rough sounding rock. Obviously there will be softer songs, as was true of Boy and October.

Secondly, U2 should never force something. It sort of worries me when I hear Bono saying he wants to feel the same way as he used to when he was younger. They can't just go back to innocence. It's never as triumphant as the first time. It requires discovery as a key component. As Bono said back in the 1990s, people listen to certain songs not because they are great, but because they remind them of something that was great. That's dangerous territory for any artist....and I would hope that U2 avoid it like the plague in the future. They need to go on and discover something entirely new. That's the only way they will create something just as triumphant again.

Hey, I never said they should force something. It's not like they're going to read this and say "Oh, she's right, let's go for that feel." They were angry when they were younger, they were innocentlly angry, and passionate, and it was great. Now they're older, and Bono has somehow become more idealistic, and that's great too, I love it all. I just would like to hear them cut lose.

If it IS 400, I'll be happy. Out of all the clips, that one stuck out the most with me. U2 need to do odd time signatures more often.

These clips were posted long before Rubin met with the band at Abby. I'm sure the strings were added to 400. We have to keep in mind that Rubin and the band will polish this up. It might change dramatically.

not to compare u2 to the verve, but bittersweet symphony is an awesome song that is almost entirely based on strings and piano (to a lesser degree) of course they got that from jagger and richards, but their version is awesome, and that song has had staying power. i am really excited to hear what they have done with the strings and piano. the 6/8 time is also very interesting. if it passed the 'larry test' then it must not be that bad at all.

misterboo said:
I'd love it to be 402 as well but I'm consoled by the fact that some really brilliant songs have come out in between albums:

- The Ground Beneath Her Feet
- The Hands that Built America
- Hold Me, Thrill Me....
- Electrical Storm

So I think we're right to be as excited as Bono seems to be about this album.

that would be great I love the instrumental of the songs you mentioned. If this new song is like to ones above, (even winning an oscar for one of them) I think it will be huge...if its huge then maybe they will release the new album soon, and then a new tour by next fall perhaps? :drool:

Varitek said:

I'll give you Sweetest Thing, as it's being included on U218, but I don't think that in this moment in contemporary music a piano song is going to be embraced as a huge hit. Look at OOTS - despite tons of marketing and 629 versions of the video it never hit it big. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for the piano and strings, I love piano, but it's hard for me to see it being a huge hit. Perhaps it's just Bono's huge ego? ;)
Well, just look at 'Clocks' (and more recently 'Speed of Sound') by Coldplay.....a piano song and a HUGE hit! ;)

Yes, I like the rock and roll feel of Vertigo, and Native Son. I don't see Boy/October in Beautiful Day. One of the reasons I liked Bomb is that it was retrospective and fresh all at once. I'd like to see the next album have more of the fresh, for sure, but when I say "inspiration" I guess I mean that it would be nice for them to make a rock album, not a rock-pop album (I love softer stuff of late, OOS, MD, Walk On, especially SYCMIOYO, even Grace - NOT Wild Honey - but I want to rock out for a change). Let Edge lose, let him burn down the house, whatever. Let Edge show he's still got an Electric Co in him and let Larry show he's still got an I Will Follow in him. Let them all get a little Out Of Control.

That's just what I'd like to see. I want it to be new, have a fresh feel, but I want it to be rough sounding rock. Obviously there will be softer songs, as was true of Boy and October.
I think what made 'Beautiful Day' make me think of the Boy/October era was the earnestness combined with the repetitive power chords (which U2 had hardly, if ever, used in the 1990s). And I think I know what you mean now by the "rough and tumble". It's what I thought you meant....you want U2 to kind of let lose....a less polished "pop" sound, and a more spirited, almost strident yet lose, "rock" sound. I think this is what the Killers sort of aimed for on their latest release and what U2 achieved in some part on Zooropa ('Dirty Day', especially live). If this is what you're after, I think you might get your wish with Rick Rubin in the fold.

Hey, I never said they should force something. It's not like they're going to read this and say "Oh, she's right, let's go for that feel." They were angry when they were younger, they were innocentlly angry, and passionate, and it was great. Now they're older, and Bono has somehow become more idealistic, and that's great too, I love it all. I just would like to hear them cut lose.
Ah, now I understand. No forced innocence....just a more loose approach. Again, I agree with that. :)

The_acrobat said:

Aw don't worry, they hate everything new just because it's not old. The ATYCLB and HTDAAB haters wouldn't like any new U2 music no matter what it sounded like, just because they have a bias. They basically think too hard about the music, rather than just listen and enjoy. Pity, because they've missed out on some great songs. I hope this song makes me feel the same as ATYCLB and HTDAAB did. Such a great feeling when I first heard those 2 albums.

Hahahaha... good one!

misterboo said:
I'd love it to be 402 as well but I'm consoled by the fact that some really brilliant songs have come out in between albums:

- The Ground Beneath Her Feet
- The Hands that Built America
- Hold Me, Thrill Me....
- Electrical Storm

So I think we're right to be as excited as Bono seems to be about this album.

You call hands that built america a great song!?!?!?
It's their worst song EVER. Their BIGGEST MISTAKE ever!!!

Big guitar songs sell albums, making a piano and string song to promote the new album is a bad idea.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom