April 14, Glendale Arena in Phoenix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I certainly agree that sometimes the sound wasn't the best. The vocals were just drowned out a little bit here and there.
However, the show was still awesome. New Years Day and Vertigo really jacked up the energy in the whole arena. And I absolutely loved the all-AB first encore. Just stunning.
Acoustic Yahweh was truly a highlight. Can anyone help me out, what did Bono say in this song...something like "Still I'm waiting for the....drummer" as Larry came sprinting, late, to play the keyboard thingy. It was awesome.

Can anyone help me out, what did Bono say in this song...something like "Still I'm waiting for the....drummer" as Larry came sprinting, late, to play the keyboard thingy. It was awesome. [/B]

Yes, Larry apparently was taking his time making his way to his mini drum kit, thinking the song was still in the first verse and playing with his ear bud, so when Bono got to the "still I'm waiting for the dawn," he changed it to "still I'm waiting for the drummer," and then said something about "make way for the drummer."

At the end of the song, he sang, "take this city," and then -- probably somewhat spontaneously for Arizona -- something like, "this beautiful desert city," and then he didn't really know how to get back to the song so he just let it peter out and end a little abrputly.

regularguy said:

With at least a couple hundred concerts under my belt -- including some absolutely horrific ones -- I think I can say I've never left a one until the lights went up. REO Speedwaggon and Asia in high school were probably the two times I came closest, but I hung in there to the bitter end. Guy's gotta do what he's gotta do when he's on a date, I guess.

Sorry, my comment was not directed at you. It was supposed to be a joke :reject:

34367%3B%3A323232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E2327%3D%3C3%3A%3D%3A58%3DXROQDF%3E23237%3C%3B%3A63%3B99ot1lsi

another pic sorry for the poor quality.

db9

The show was amazing, loved every minute of it. I was fortunate enough to be on the floor to the left (Edge's side), about 3 people from the railing. EVERYONE in our general area were extremely courteous and friendly, made a great show that much better. Highlight for me was watching Edge play Zoo Station right in front of our area - simply awe inspiring. Yes there were some glitches and not everybody's favorite song was played, but the band was tight, the crowd was into it and it seemed the band was having a good time.

On another note - did anybody catch what a fan gave to Bono during SYCMIOYO? Looked like a picture of someone (Bob Hewson maybe?). Couldn't tell - nice moment though.

Looking forward to tonight!

it was a great show last night, i really loved it... i thought the floor crowd was not into it really.

gotta run to circle K an get some WATER an grub, then its back to the arena!

On another note - did anybody catch what a fan gave to Bono during SYCMIOYO? Looked like a picture of someone (Bob Hewson maybe?). Couldn't tell - nice moment though.

Looking forward to tonight! [/B]

Yes, would really like to know. It looked like a page ripped out of a magazine. Bono clutched it to his heart, put it down on the stage, then folded it up and put it in his back pocket.

As a 37 year old, 20+ year veteran of U2 I must say I was a little disappointed last night. I was on the floor and simply did not feel the "vibe" as I have in many other shows I've attended through the years.

With that said...I think it's come time for me to temper my expectations of U2. The amazing days of circa 1987 are long gone and are not coming back. Bono and the gang are showing their age and I think they realize that by keeping this show a little more on the mellow level.

If you go in expecting to relive your youth kind of like I did you will go home a little bummed. I'll lower my "expectations" tonight and probably enjoy it more.

Just one man's small, subjective opinion.

PS I was surprised we were not wanded or patted down. That's hasn't happened to me in a while.

mdiver65 said:
Bono and the gang are showing their age and I think they realize that by keeping this show a little more on the mellow level.

Did you just think the band were acting mellow? Because the setlist was primarily rockers. The word mellow never came to mind. Love and Peace, Vertigo, Elevation, Electric Co., New Years Day, SBS, Bullet, Zoo Station, The Fly, Mysterious Ways, ABOY...all rockers. In comparison, I thought the Elevation tour was on the mellow side at times (yet still brilliant).

Yes, in regards to the band being a little mellow. The setlist certainly rocked (though I wish they were playing BAD) and the light show was pretty good.

It's all subjective...

regularguy said:

Yes, would really like to know. It looked like a page ripped out of a magazine. Bono clutched it to his heart, put it down on the stage, then folded it up and put it in his back pocket.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but with my high-powered bino's (binoculars) I made out Bono on the right and a guy with white/greyish hair on the left side of the picture. At first I thought it was of he and the Pope, but noticed it wasn't. My guess with how he was reacting and keeping the picture, it could have been of his dad. Really cool if it was and a very nice gesture from the fan.

DD

mdiver65 said:
As a 37 year old, 20+ year veteran of U2 I must say I was a little disappointed last night. I was on the floor and simply did not feel the "vibe" as I have in many other shows I've attended through the years.

With that said...I think it's come time for me to temper my expectations of U2. The amazing days of circa 1987 are long gone and are not coming back. Bono and the gang are showing their age and I think they realize that by keeping this show a little more on the mellow level.

If you go in expecting to relive your youth kind of like I did you will go home a little bummed. I'll lower my "expectations" tonight and probably enjoy it more.

Just one man's small, subjective opinion.

PS I was surprised we were not wanded or patted down. That's hasn't happened to me in a while.
funny how so many other people who are over 40 saying how good the show was, yes maybe you should just sell your remaining tickets if you have any? give a fan who would love to see the show a chance hey? from what i have heard they are as good as ever, but all in your opinion of course "ahem"

DevilDave72 said:

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but with my high-powered bino's (binoculars) I made out Bono on the right and a guy with white/greyish hair on the left side of the picture. At first I thought it was of he and the Pope, but noticed it wasn't. My guess with how he was reacting and keeping the picture, it could have been of his dad. Really cool if it was and a very nice gesture from the fan.

DD
i belive the picture was of bono's late father :)

I'm happy most everyone had a good to great time. Good stuff. I Hope tonight rocks.

Ramblin Rose, last night was the first I heard of the Declaration of Human Rights. Of course, I'm against Human rights - joking! :) - Since I wanted to experience the concert fresh and new, I made a studious effort to avoid all the threads that could serve as spoilers. That means all the controversial ones that would have clued me in. The other reason I hadn't heard of this (outside of U2dom) is that I don't have a TV, don't listen to radio, and don't read the papers. Been that way for 14 years. Whatever publicity this Declaration has received has not made it across to me on the internet. (I do read many varied online news sites.) Anyways, it was not the content of the Declaration that threw me - it was something beneath it. Or should I say, behind it.

As I stood there and watched a synthetic face waver holographically in smoke I could see ahead 20 years. It was chilling. The experience threw me out of the concert, out of the concert spirit, out of the show. After that it was just an act. I could see through it. See the scaffolding. It was stage acting - not the real thing.

My wife felt the same exact way when this happened. Maybe we spend too much time together. :)

She told me that before this the vibe wasn't right - not really there. The spirit was off. I felt the same way and was doing my best to contribute to "The Loop" - energy from performer to audience and back again to the stage - and the loop keeps going/building. It's what makes those very few special concerts transcendental. I could sense Bono trying to summon spirit but to little avail. Maybe there's contestation.

Anyway, I still love the band, and their music. If I see them again I will read up to know what I'm getting myself into. I will not entrust myself completely into their music, though. Last night was a bit of a heads up for me.

arizzzona said:

The other reason I hadn't heard of this (outside of U2dom) is that I don't have a TV, don't listen to radio, and don't read the papers. Been that way for 14 years.

Did you know we have a colony on Mars? Whatever you do, don't wear green. They hate that.

The other reason I hadn't heard of this (outside of U2dom) is that I don't have a TV, don't listen to radio, and don't read the papers. Been that way for 14 years. Whatever publicity this Declaration has received has not made it across to me on the internet. (I do read many varied online news sites.)

Actually, On December 10, 1948 the General Assembly of the United Nations adopted and proclaimed the Universal Declaration of Human Rights...not exaltly current events, yet so relevent.

Love, love, love

Last edited:
KUEFC09U2, I'm 41, love to party,* and put everything into a show. Elevation Ist leg blew the roof off in Phoenix. Get the bootleg. It was awesome. 3rd leg show was a tad more subdued - but still a very special night. IOW, we've been fortunate to have had some very special shows.

I think some nights are better then others and I think this band certainly still has "it."

This was their first time in this arena - it's bigger - very high ceiling - not as intimate as the other Phoenix venue. It's out in the middle of nowhere (for now). I saw Bono looking around scoping the place out. Getting a feel. Sound needed adjusting - who knows what else we can't see. Maybe tonight they'll be more settled and blow away the place.

David

* The only difference now is that hangovers last an extra day. :)

wow, all these critical post about last night's show. Maybe I didnt have as good a time as I really thought.

kellyahern said:

They get here first just because they left early and beat the traffic :wink:

I guess I'm going to get flamed cuz I'm a new poster here. I didn't even see the concert, and I am already laughing at some of this. Just because someone didn't like a particular concert, doesn't mean that they are an idiot. Also, to love U2's music, you DO NOT need to appreciate all their preachiness. I, for one, do. But it can seem a little long sometimes, and I have heard most of the tour, and I don't think it sounds too preachy.. at least for me. It does sound a little unpolished, but that comes with time.
It just seems that many, not all, people take it as a PERSONAL insult when someon says they didn't like a particular show, or song. Or they don't like the holier than thou, messianic image Bono is putting out there. Like I said, I like that this band has meaning.. but my wife doesn't like how preachiness he can get in concert, and I've dragged her to MANY concerts. Does that mean she's an idiot? Or that she is any less a fan of the MUSIC than those of us who appreciate it? I don't think so.
Maybe I'm just venting, or maybe I'm a newb.. or maybe, just maybe, the world can agree to have different opinions. If you are a TRUE fan of U2 and their ideology... you might want to take a good look in the mirror. Tell me what you see, and be honest with yourself! Letting others have their own opinions is the root of democracy. Being able to tolerate someone yelling at the top of their lungs AGAINST the very thing you in which you are yelling FOR is the essence of democracy. Live by THAT. The world would be a better place for it!

Last edited:
I was in the 12th row at stage left -- there was some big fat guy in the row behind us making a big stink by booing. During one of the encores I looked back there and he was pretending to be asleep in his chair. I thought it was funny as hell.

Here's hoping that he got enough satisfaction out of being an indignant blockhead to warrant the spending what he did on the ticket. Personally, I thought the show was great. The rhythm was much better than in Anaheim.

r

I'm surprised by the lukewarm response some people had to this show. I got a last-minute ticket, already had one for Friday, so I took a late flight that got me in about an hour before showtime, fingers crossed that the lottery system would work for me but it didn't. So I stood in the back of GA and danced and sang. You can't see shit back there but I was just happy to be there at all and it was so much better than opening night that even though I couldn't see I had a great time although I would have been very bummed by the back-of-GA experience if it were my only show.

Friday's show did bring the house down by comparison, though, but I thought Thursday was a great show, too.

One political moment that I supported was before Sunday Bloody Sunday he said something like it's on American territory now, "it's not an away game anymore." :up:

My 19th U2 concert since Love Town, first time being on the very first row inside the ellipse!
I loved this show! I didn't even notice the sound problems as Larry's drums were beating a hole through my chest and Adam's bass was making my hair stand on end! :bow:
Dallas did have a few mishaps with Edge's guitars, but I still thought this concert was awesome!

Last edited:
All,
My pictures from both Phoenix shows are up at my website here:
xanga-dot-com/dvictoryu

If you’re interested in reviews/pix of some of the other artists that I’ve met, feel free to surf around in there (you can arrow through on the bottom right of the page).

Also, I wanted to send a big "Hi" and "Thanks" to all the great U2 fans I met this week. It was great meeting (and waiting) with you.

Review: U2: Glendale, AZ 4/14/05 @ Glendale Arena

The night before I went to the venue around 11pm to scope it out, and was able to drive freely around…only when I got to the back loading docks did security chase me away. Since I was actually on venue property and not across the street, I didn’t see the line of rabid U2 fans who had already queued up overnight.

The next day I got to the arena around 6am-ish. There were 4 fans there from Juarez, Mexico and some security guy said that we couldn’t line up right outside the general admission doors, but we could around parking lot G. We went there for a few minutes and after realizing we were the only 5 in line (and 4 of us weren’t even from this country!), I decided something was off. I went to the security office in the northwest corner and was told there what the folks from the previous night (unbeknownst to me) had been told – until 9am the day of show, no one could park or wait on venue property. This meant we had to go across the street, park in a residential neighborhood, and wait on the sidewalk. When we got there, the standard practice of signing up in a notebook and writing your numerical place in line on your hand with a Sharpie was already being implemented. Obviously these were big U2 fans and everyone was down with this honor system. Around 9am-ish we went over to the building and lo and behold, yet another group was already in line. They had been told by yet another security person that they could line up at the actual doors starting at ~8:30am. Huh?

Then the unpleasantness began. The screaming and yelling between some of the folks in the 2 lines of “fans.” The swearing at each other. For 1 thing, it was too dang hot to argue (the day peaked at around 95 degrees, no cloud cover, no wind). For another thing, that’s not how U2 fans are supposed to treat each other. I really expected better of these folks. I talked to about 4 security managers, including the head of venue security. All had different answers to the same questions, except for 2 things which they agreed upon: (1) They had never heard of the above-mentioned self-policing fan line, and while they respected it, (2) They weren’t going to honor it. Scott (from U2 security) was at this point in the building and had been apprised of the situation. We were told that if he wanted it, venue security would honor the fan line order. Unfortunately, it never happened. Instead, people randomly jockeyed for position when they began forming the 2 lines for fan club people and the general public. (To be fair to the venue security folks, they did openly admit that the whole thing was their responsibility, and therefore, their fault, and promised that they fix it for Friday 4/15’s show. I asked why they didn’t have 1 written policy, have it communicated to all security staff, and then posted on the door of the venue for the public—no one could answer me.)

About 2pm I got sick of standing around in line and took a walk around the venue. In the back area a small of crowd of fans were waiting for U2 members to arrive and possibly autograph things. (The venue has a long, 3-story ramp that is gated off and which is the only way to access the loading/artist-entry area, so if you want to meet anyone you need to be at the gatehouse where the ramp’s mouth is at street level). Around 3/3:30pm-ish, Adam’s car arrived and went straight down the ramp. About an hour later he was driven back up (supposedly to get dinner) and stopped for not quite 10 minutes to autograph things. I got a hinky feeling about how everyone was mobbing Adam and no one was watching the ramp. Sure enough, 2 SUVs rolled up immediately after. I tried to tell the crowd that other U2 members were there, but no one was paying attention, so I went over by myself. It appeared to be John (Bono’s bodyguard) in the shotgun seat, with Bono’s wife Ali behind him and possible Bono to her left. Larry looked to be in the second vehicle. I tried to wave to them but John motioned to me that they weren’t going to stop, so I moved back. They zipped right in down the ramp and no one was the wiser – just like they planned, I guess. I turned my attention to Adam and he signed my U2 Best Of 1990-2000 CD cover, and then took a picture with me. He was very nice, but was concerned that the crowd was not paying attention to his security guard’s instructions. It’s sad, but I guess grown people do need to be babysat.

[Insert soapbox here]: Attention, idiots. When the security person says “Line up in a line and he’ll sign for you. Don’t crowd him!” – perhaps the best thing to do is…line up in a line. Don’t crowd him. When you get your thing signed, move on so someone else gets an opportunity to say “hi”. These are not super-secret-special rules – this is common sense. Be polite and respectful (Golden Rule, don’tcha know). The schlubs who mobbed Adam like the first half-hour of “Saving Private Ryan” ruined it for the other folks who were trying to comply and be nice, and it made him take off that much quicker. [Remove soapbox here.] Sorry.

Anyways, no other band members came out, so that was that. The GA doors opened just after 6:30pm and everyone scrambled. As noted at other shows, for some reason the U2.com line was much slower than the public line. And, for our show there was only 1 line per each; not multiple lines for the public as in the CA shows. Dunno what’s up there. Also, they checked each ticket, so it’s not like as a fan club member you could see the faster moving public line and jump into it. Unfortunately, I didn’t make it into the ellipse, but got 2nd row against the outer railing of the ellipse, Edge side. Celebs sighted in the audience included T-Bone Burnett, still rocking the shades and comb-over hair.

Kings of Leon went on at 8 and played for 45 minutes. A lot of mixed reactions to them, though the crowd was politely appreciative. I would say they sound like the Black Crowes, but with less Southern funk and more NY garage rock. Also, the singer sounded like a cross between Steven Tyler (Aerosmith) hitting the high notes in “Dream On” and the singer Jeff Keith from Tesla. An acquired taste, to be sure. I did think the band had good musical chops, and the drummer was particularly good.

U2 came on right around 9pm and did a pretty energetic show. The stage show itself is pretty similar to the Elevation tour (but with much better lights), and I thought it was just fine. The setlist was:

Love and Peace or Else, Vertigo/Stories for Boys, Elevation, Cry/The Electric Co., An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart, City of Blinding Lights, Beautiful Day, Miracle Drug, Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own, New Year’s Day, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bullet the Blue Sky/Hands That Built America, Running to Stand Still, Pride, Where the Streets Have No Name, One, Zoo Station, The Fly, Mysterious Ways, All Because Of You, Yahweh, 40

Most folks have seen the discussions on setlists, so I’ll just add a few notes. Bono’s voice was very strong; definitely steadier than the early CA shows. Edge had some wireless issues, particularly on “New Year’s Day,” “Sunday Bloody Sunday,” and The Fly.” Adam was quite mobile and walked the entire ellipse a few times. Bono and Edge were a bit less mobile than I expected. Larry’s hair is growing out long in the back, so he would really look at home on his beloved motorcycles.

Bono really wailed on the solo drum kit at the end of “Love and Peace or Else” and continued into the rhythm of “Vertigo.” The look of surprise on some people’s faces as they busted into the songs from 1980’s “Boy” was priceless. The Beatles’ “Blackbird” was the tag on “Beautiful Day.” There were shout-outs to the late Pope, MLK, and Nelson Mandela. Of course Bono beseeched us to take action for Africa. "Bullet the Blue Sky" had tags of "Hands That Built America" and an old Civil War song from 1863 "When Johnny Comes Marching Home." “Running to Stand Still” was dedicated to the folks in the U.S. military, and I liked how Bono honored their efforts while also addressing the horrible catch-22 these folks are in. “One” had a different outro than the standard one that has been used since the Zoo TV tour. A fan was pulled onstage to stomp around during “The Fly”, and no women were brought up to dance during “Mysterious Ways” – Bono must’ve learned a lesson or 2 from the CA show with the overzealous female fan. “Yahweh” was acoustic and done at the tip of the ellipse, with all 4 members there (Larry on a Star Trek-looking keyboard). “40” was the old 80’s version, with Edge and Adam switching instruments and the band leaving 1-by-1 (Larry last). Edge nodded his approval at our singing before leaving the stage.

Afterwards I met long-time U2 soundman Joe O’Herlihy and he signed my CD booklet also. I got a picture with him just because (1) it’s Joe O’Herlihy and (2) being surprisingly short and having that righteous beard, he just looked cool (no lawn gnome jokes allowed!).

Vic

loved the show had GA's right in front on outside of ellipse....

during love and peace bono reached over the rail and me and my buddy held onto his hand/arm for a good 20 seconds it was pretty cool, the show was one of the best experiences of my life. no complaints at all

Pics from Az Republic...

2549_39617.jpg

even the Edge looks sexy in Phx. :wink:
2549_39613.jpg

Adam agrees. :)

db9

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom