April 14, Glendale Arena in Phoenix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Didn't work for me.

I'm a big U2 fan. Went to Slane. Been with them for more than 20 years. Tonight was off - for me, anyway.

I left after the UN commercial. WTF? This is NOT what I came here for. I'm all for Africa, helping people, and all that - but when Bono gets into his system of politics - and treats it like a religion, I'm gone. And I left. That's why I have the first post.

It weirded me out.

Now, I am not a complainer. I am a positive person. I tend to think many fans today expect too much of these guys - they're not Gods. But honestly ... this show didn't do it for me.

There were things I liked, I'm sure others will detail them, but in the end, I was on a Freeway songs before they turned on the lights.

I hope this was a one-off. And that other shows are different. ...Or maybe I'm the only one who doesn't think a rock concert and UN Political System World Constitution pitch don't mix.

Not on my dime, Bono. Not again.

David in AZ

Not playing U2 here tonight. And I have all those discs...

PS - For anyone who had a blast - awesome! Don't let this post bring you down -- it's not an argument - everyone is different and responds differently to the same thing - This is just one opinion. I hope this thread is filled with good posts. -- Because you deserve it!!!

Ironic, that Arizona was the last state to accept Martin Luther King's birthday as a national holiday, and reluctantly.

Coincidence?

Exactly which one of those proposed Declaration of Human Rights articles did you not agree with, David? Or were you upset that there wasn't one that stated the U.S. has the right to violate any one of those articles at any time and not have to answer for it?

laz

lazarus said:
Or were you upset that there wasn't one that stated the U.S. has the right to violate any one of those articles at any time and not have to answer for it?

laz

bit harsh and unnecessary

[personally, I dig and respect the political stuff myself, but the guy who posted was only expressing his own opinion]

Last edited:
Disappointing show tonight. (This was my first of this tour.) There were some very strong highlights. They absolutely nailed Sometimes You Can't . . . Running was great. Playing four achtung baby songs in a row -- One, then the encore, then Zoo, Fly, and Mysterious -- was great.

But overall, that's really all there was -- some great highlights sandwiched in between several technical gaffes, horrible sound, way too much roadie presence on Edge's side of the stage all night, some disjointed monologues by Bono that don't seem well thought through yet and probably need another month of shows or so to come together. Pacing of the shows is very bad; nothing like ATYCLB. Did I say horrible sound? They got it together after Beautiful Day and it was acceptable for the back half of the show, but before that it was very weak -- it's a hockey arena with two floors of suites and the roof is just way too high for good sound.

Hate to say it, but probably the worst U2 show I've seen in about 17 years. Traditionally, they've been much stronger after the first month or two on the road, but they still have a ways to go to acheive lift off on the Vertigo tour IMHO. Maybe the sound will be better tomorrow.

WHY WHY OH WHY is it always the new people that come on JUST to post that they were dissapointed?

and it wasnt the atyclb tour, it was the bloody elevation tour

I actually joined this morning hoping to come to post how great it was.

And who cares if I'm new or not. Forget the messenger and just judge the message on its own merits. If you disagree, so be it. If you don't, great. If you don't think it's worth of discussion, move on.

For what it's worth, I said disappointing, but certainly not bad. I'd have paid my $49.50 plus ticketmaster fees just to see Sometimes -- Bono absolutely clobbered it. I'm just saying I think this tour has a ways to go. In going back in my head over the shows I've seen before, I think this is close to the earliest to the beginning of a tour I've ever seen them and that might have had something to do with it. I think this set needs work. Sorry. Maybe I'll have better things to say tomorrow -- I'm off the floor tomorrow so maybe the sound will be better.

20 years // 6 Tours // 13th show tonight and it kicked ass plain and simple. The band just seems to have so much more energy than the last tour and it has alot to do with Bono - he is back in a big way.

lazarus said:
Ironic, that Arizona was the last state to accept Martin Luther King's birthday as a national holiday, and reluctantly.

Coincidence?

Bono actually made this point tonight -- can't remember exactly what he said; something about how it didn't always used to be a holiday in Arizona, which he used as a lead in to how the principle should apply everywhere in the world.

It'd be interesting to see a setlist anlaysis, but even if there ever comes a day when Pride does not have a prominent place in a tour, I think it is always highly likely to be played in Arizona for this reason. It will be particularly interesting to see if, after Arizona, it returns to the encore lead off as opposed to being incorporated during the public service announcement parts of the show's main set back half. If it hadn't been moved up into the main set in San Jose, I would have thought tonight's placement was an Arizona special.

Laz,

AZ was/is the only state to approve MLK Day by popular referendum. Every other state was voted by reps - there's something real about people deciding. Anyways - this is a U2 board - we all have opinions ... and given that I want to read how others saw (heard:) the show!

PAZ

AZ

The show was really good. Glendale Arena sucks as a place, its too big of an arena for a rock concert. I mean I was shocked at the size of the place! The sound was not that good in the beginning, after Beautifull Day the sound techs did get the sound back in.

The band was amazing as usual, and yes AZ has been a special place because of the MLK event that U2 had a hand in. Gotta hand it to the crowd, they were into this show, singing alont to all their fav tunes! Those curtain screens are just amazing, they add a good effect to the stage!

Asides from that, Phoenix is also the 4th largest city in the country, so it only makes sense for U2 to come to this market again and again!

Last edited:
arizzzona said:

I left after the UN commercial. WTF? This is NOT what I came here for. I'm all for Africa, helping people, and all that - but when Bono gets into his system of politics - and treats it like a religion, I'm gone. And I left. That's why I have the first post.

It weirded me out.

Hadn't you heard about the Declaration of Human Rights thing before hand? A UN commercial? That doesn't even make sense.

Pics from Ap 14 Show Phx

34367%3A5923232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E2327%3D%3C3%3A%3D%3A58%3DXROQDF%3E23237%3C%3B%3A68372ot1lsi
34367%3A5923232%7Ffp45%3Dot%3E2327%3D%3C3%3A%3D%3A58%3DXROQDF%3E23237%3C%3B%3A65587ot1lsi
34367%3A5923232%7Ffp64%3Dot%3E2327%3D%3C3%3A%3D%3A58%3DXROQDF%3E23237%3C%3B%3A6794%3Aot1lsi
34367%3A5923232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E2327%3D%3C3%3A%3D%3A58%3DXROQDF%3E23237%3C%3B%3A66%3B66ot1lsi
34367%3A5923232%7Ffp64%3Dot%3E2327%3D%3C3%3A%3D%3A58%3DXROQDF%3E23237%3C%3B%3A65292ot1lsi
34367%3A5923232%7Ffp4%3Enu%3D3236%3E%3B49%3E967%3EWSNRCG%3D32328%3B%3C975%3C65nu0mrj
34367%3A5923232%7Ffp46%3Dot%3E2327%3D%3C3%3A%3D%3A58%3DXROQDF%3E23237%3C%3B%3A643%3B2ot1lsi

kellyahern said:

They get here first just because they left early and beat the traffic :wink:

With at least a couple hundred concerts under my belt -- including some absolutely horrific ones -- I think I can say I've never left a one until the lights went up. REO Speedwaggon and Asia in high school were probably the two times I came closest, but I hung in there to the bitter end. Guy's gotta do what he's gotta do when he's on a date, I guess.

regularguy said:

With at least a couple hundred concerts under my belt -- including some absolutely horrific ones -- I think I can say I've never left a one until the lights went up. REO Speedwaggon and Asia in high school were probably the two times I came closest, but I hung in there to the bitter end. Guy's gotta do what he's gotta do when he's on a date, I guess.

Reg Guy,

You shoulda stayed.
During Zoo Station Bono pulled up Dan the tattoo guy and they both were hamming it up on the cat walk.

It was a great fan/singer bonding moment for the crowd.

db9

diamond said:

Reg Guy,

You shoulda stayed.
During Zoo Station Bono pulled up Dan the tattoo guy and they both were hamming it up on the cat walk.

db9

Was that the guy who had Bono sign his arm in San Diego and was going to get a tatoo over the signature?

Great pics diamond :bow:

kellyahern said:

Was that the guy who had Bono sign his arm in San Diego and was going to get a tatoo over the signature?

Great pics diamond :bow:

Yes it was Dan the tattoo guy thats been pulled up a handful of times, during Elevation.:yes:

Bono seems to really really love this kid.:up:

Bono and Dan were matching eachother's stride while walking on the catwalk.

The 2 click together well. They started at the tip of the elipse on Edge's side and started strutting to the main stage for about 30-45 secs.
When they hit the main stage Bono stop and hugged Dan, I think accidently referred to him as 'dave'? and waved him off.

Another fine Bono/Fan bonding moment inwhich we all live vicariously through.:)

db9

Last edited:
I was at the Anahem1 show and I think that this show was slightly better, in terms of sound and Bono's voice. Yes, there were still some glitches and the mix changed a bit now and then, but the energy was much higher. Bono and Edge did not have to try to rouse the crowd like they did in Anaheim. I was high up on the upper concourse, compared to being lower level-second row for Anaheim, and it was wonderful to really get a great view of the light show. It is awesome.

The crowd on the floor and first level was really into it, but up on the higher level people were just sitting down, being boring IMHO, so I left, found an open area at the top of the seating area, so I could dance around. The arena is small. Anaheim was much bigger. Glendale was so small that the stage/ellipse was very close to the seats on either side. That didn't seem to be the case in Anaheim. I am hoping the crowd is better Friday night. Lots of people left early, and I had to as well, because my companions had to work today. I took the day off!

I agree with some of the other posts that the set list does not gel too well. I think they'll work on it. But some songs did work very well, and the mid-section is great. I thought that the show-stealer was "Streets". Everyone was up and dancing to that. In Anaheim it was "Vertigo", and I think the reason is that U2 played "Vertigo" in the mid-section at Aneheim instead of at the start. At the start of the show there's not much momentum built up and it fell a little short of my expectations last night, even though it was still very good. All in all I had a great time, did a lot of dancing after leaving the dead-head area, and got lost in the music!

I go to the shows to hear my favorite music/band, to see them because they don't tour too often, and so I don't care if Bono recites politics, I know he's going to do it, and I support his causes. I just take that slow time to relax and catch my breath until the next song starts rocking! In Anaheim, when the UN rights were shown, the crowd applauded and cheered.

Is the Glendale Arena a newer venue, I mean relative to others. Anaheim Pond is somewhat new, as it wasn't built till after the first Mighty Ducks movie came out.

*off topic side note, was that whole movie just one big commercial for the Mighty Ducks hockey team or what?!*

Staples Center where I saw them, newer than the Pond. I don't know if the sound was bad cos I was in bleeders, people closer to the band maybe could tell better?

I've only been a U2 fan for about 5 years, but over that time, I've kinda accepted that their will be some sort of socio-political aspect.

"F the revolution?"

Zoo TV, live hookups to an actual war going on.

Pop mart, okay, not so much, more a commentary on consumerism.

Elevation, the NRA thing before "Bullet."

At this point, I'd be a little disappointed without something along those lines.

diamond said:

Reg Guy,

You shoulda stayed.

db9

No no no -- I did stay. That was my point. Someone said that my newbie status on interference probably indicatated that I left early, and so I defended myself by saying that if I didn't leave Asia or REO Speedwagon early, you could bet I wasn't going to leave U2 before the houselights came up.

The Tatoo guy/Bono bear hug was a highlight. Anyway, sorry to come here with negativity. I did not mean to be a negative newbie, and I'm certainly not saying it was a bad show by any means. It was a great show; I've never seen a non-great U2 show. (Ok, well Pop Mart at Giants Stadium needed a little work, but I still had a blast that night.) I just have been excited about these shows since the new record came out. Part of it was the arena I think -- I think the downtown atmosphere of the America West Arena shows in Phoenix a few years ago made it a better experience than holding a show in the boondocks just because there's a 21,000 seat hockey venue out there. (Incidentally, one of the uninentional comedic moments of the night came when Kings of Leon told the crowd how much better it was than the shitty crowd they played to during a gig in "Scottsdale or something." I guess they didn't realize that it's all basically the same metro area and probably 10,000 people in the crowd last night were from Scottsdale.)

Before I add my two cents to last night's show...Yes..Glendale Arena is a new arena built for the Phoenix Coyotes NHL hockey team....ooops...They have been bringing top acts through there for the last few months and U2 were no exception.

This being my first post AND my very first U2 show I can definatley say it was the best I have ever seen...:). However, I have been reading this board a lot and I enjoyed everyone's input on the tour so far. I had nosebleed seats looking down on the stage. I LOVED the stage, man the colors are flat awesome. Knowing they moved the list around a lot on the tour already, I kinda knew what to expect, but still didn't know. I really enjoyed the new stuff and really got a kick out of Zoo Station. It was well done. The whole show was well done and there were any flaws I couldn't tell. I leave that up to the tour pros. On my way out of the arena, quite a few people expressed some sadness that they didn't play With Or Without You, especially my fiancee. But...that's where there are more tours to come. I know that they don't plan on coming back through here on this tour...(yet). But when the next tour comes around..I will be there. Thanks for all of the reports up to now and let's just all enjoy the ride.

DD

P.S. Those are GREAT pictures.

P.S.S. One more thing. During Zoo Station, I saw through my binoculors a guy with a RIDICULOUSLY long boom microphone just off the front of the stage. The thing basically stuck Bono in the mouth. I wonder if that is one our god-like tapers. We will find out...thanks again.

Being an Arizona local and a U2 lover for about forever, I just wanted to share a couple of the show reviews posted on a local board here:
First let me say Im not a fanatic U2 fan. I like them. I respect them. I saw both nights at Sun Devil Stadium when they filmed Rattle and Hum. I have about 6 of their CDS. Tonight I was just blown out of the water. Ive always said Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band is the greatest live performers in the history of live performing. I may have to change that now. Bruces music overall still means more to me but damn what a killer show tonight. First off the sound. OUTSTANDING.....................

We just got GA tickets on saturday that dropped for tonights show. Six of us got tickets and 4 of us got into the Heart section up front. That Bono is one great showman. I know he gets criticized all the time but I truly believe he is a good person trying to help others and that makes him OK in my book.....................Won't go over the setlist I will leave that to the fanatics but lots of political content. Loved when he said about Arizona used to not have a MLK holiday (pause) Today is a better day he said..................Also to start the show he said they were the Angles that played Sun Devil Stadium. Also had great things to say about the desert. Loved the POPE story too..................

WOW!!! Talk about an amazing show! I have never seen U2 but I will want to go again next time they come through. Like Scott, I was blown away by the performance last night. He is a powerful showman and artist. I was surprised at all the songs I knew. The effects were fabulous and the crowd was great (even tho we were packed in like sardines).
These are people that I know here in AZ and they do not follow U2 religiously, so there are no nitpicky complaints.
They were sincerely blown away.
Just a little preview that AZ loves U2. :)
P.S. Tonight I will not be in that sardine can of the floor but in the first row of section 110. I will share reviews tomorrow of people that will be there tonight. :)

Last edited:
Local review from local paper linked below. [Oops, I'm too new to post links -- if you go to azcentral.com you can find a link to the front page.] Overall positive review, although I'm not sure why U2 have to be judged based on the political content of the shows when there's so much to say about how the show fares simply as a rock and roll show. By product of the 24 hour polarized news coverage world, I guess. I don't think I'd agree with the reviewer's suggestion that the band were "reserved."

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom