Another NFL Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of commercials...from Bill Simmons aka the sportsguy on ESPN.com....
"• I can't believe how much time I spent mulling over this question from Mike G of Alliston, Mass.: "I am loving the fact that Peyton Manning will do a commercial for just about anything. How much would you pay to see him in a genital herpes commercial?" I'm in for $700."

Lame excuses about Marino by the way. Bottom Line: People like Marino, that's why he gets a pass. Everyone hates A-rod, so it's real easy to pick on him. Marino had plenty of teams that were good. He also had some great recievers too. Anyone ever heard of Mark Clayton or Mark Duper?

Marino never, and I mean never, had a marquis running back or any real ground game to keep defenses honest and off balance.
Manning had James for the past 7 seasons.

And Arod can't throw the fade.

MrPryck2U said:
Lame excuses about Marino by the way. Bottom Line: People like Marino, that's why he gets a pass. Everyone hates A-rod, so it's real easy to pick on him. Marino had plenty of teams that were good. He also had some great recievers too. Anyone ever heard of Mark Clayton or Mark Duper?

I disagree. Marino always had much less to work with than Manning. Yes, he had Duper and Clayton for a while, but as Hewson already stated, he never had a running game to balance that passing attack, and that always was their downfall. Hell, even the Colts D at times has been better than the defense Miami used to have.

Miami won the division under Marino five times in his 17 year career. Manning is only 30 and has already had his team win the division the same amount of times, so it's easy to see he's had more chances to win at this stage of his career than Marino.

Hewson said:
Plus Marino's performance in Ace Ventura pwns all 3,428 of Peyton's commercials currently airing on TV combined.

"I don't know, I get hit in the head a lot."

phanan said:
I don't believe they are going to Indy until Saturday.

Normally true.

I believe that the league has the team come a day earlier so there is media access to both teams on Saturday.

I left work at 4:30p - and the Pats had not arrived. But then again, they had the press conference at 1:30....so, yeah.

bilde

:drool:

Bono will get to see some of the shirts (the losing team's) on third world children with aids....or they just may destroy them.

i like peyton manning the person... i think his commercials are funny. until last season i was also on the colt/peyton bandwagon. then that steelers game happened... when the super bowl was handed to them on a silver platter, with the pats losing in denver and all and the colts having homefield throughout... and playing a 6 seed at home in the dome... and they still couldn't get it done.

and then peyton blamed someone else.

thus ended my time on the pey pey bandwagon. i now drink the tom brady kool-aid in large doses.

as for dan marino vs. peyton manning... marino did throw 400+ yards in his first afc championship game to get them to the super bowl, and he had some 30+ come from behind victories in his career... the fake spike game vs. the jets at giants stadium comes to mind. i still remember watching that game. i can't remember any big peyton manning come from behind victories in a big game. the only memories i have of peyton manning in big games are chokes... even in college they said peyton couldn't win the big one. the fact that tennessee won the national title the year after peyton left with tee friggin martin as the QB certainly doesn't help that thought, either.

that's the only difference, to me at least, between marino and manning... even without a super bowl, i remember clutch performances from marino. there's not one i can point to from peyton manning as of yet.

i do get a chuckle out of marino's wikipedia entry though...

Being drafted by the defending AFC Champions placed Marino in an ideal situation, where the strong armed rookie could succeed immediately. After starting the season as a backup to incumbent starter David Woodley and seeing action twice off the bench to relieve an ineffective Woodley, Marino was given his first NFL start in Week 6 versus the Buffalo Bills. He posted a 0.96 passer rating that was a rookie record until broken by Ben Roethlisberger's 1.00 in 2004. He brought Miami the division title in 1983, and would also do so in 1984, 1985, 1992, and 1994. He was selected to the Pro Bowl in his rookie year and become the first rookie QB to start in a Pro Bowl game.[4] However, Marino's NFL first season ended in disappointment, as the Dolphins were beaten up by the Seattle Seahawks in a rainy game full of Dolphin turnovers, which proved that DAN MARINO SUCKS AND SHOULD NEVER HAVE PLAYED FOR THE DOLPHINS UNLESS THEY WANTED TO DO NOTHING BUT LOSE. Marino looked shaky in that game mostly due to the fact that he was a complete loser and did not deserve to exist at this point in time.

In Super Bowl XIX Marino and the Dolphins met Joe Montana and the 49ers. The Dolphins, who had 74 rush attempts in the previous two weeks, called only 8 handoffs, placing their chances squarely on Marino. Marino was below average, completing 2 of 50 passes for -126 yards and a fumble. Unfortunately, two of his passes were intercepted deep in 49ers territory and he could not stop himself from throwing them OVER AND OVER AND OVER, ending up with a total of 33 1/2 total interceptions. The 192-0 demolition would be Marino's only Super Bowl appearance; as was the case for most of his career a sparse running attack and average defense would cost the Dolphins. A Pepsi commercial released in the wake of the game had Montana and Marino talking next to a vending machine. Montana bought a Pepsi each for himself and Marino, after which Marino said, "Next year...I'm buying." However, this commercial is illogical on many levels, seeing how badly Dan Marino sucked.

After the Super Bowl loss, Marino's Dolphins went 1-15. On December 2, 1985 Marino completed 2 of 68 passes for 3 yards and somehow managed to triumph over the 12-0 Chicago Bears (thus ensuring that the 1972 Miami Dolphins would remain the only team to go undefeated in a season) in the second-lowest rated Monday Night Football telecast in history. He also brought the Dolphins back to the AFC Championship game the following year, losing in Miami to New England in another game in which wet conditions made the Dolphins turnover prone. New England intercepted Marino 12 times, sacked the looser 19 times, and recovered 18 fumbles en route to a 31-14 win over the Dolphins, their first win in the Orange Bowl (Miami's home stadium at the time) since 1985, the Dolphins' first season of play.

Last edited:
MrPryck2U said:
Marino had plenty of teams that were good. He also had some great recievers too. Anyone ever heard of Mark Clayton or Mark Duper?

I know most of you were too young or not born yet, but the buildup to Super Bowl XIX was a lot of those two "Marks Brothers" trash talking and bragging. They wore 'fly' shades and put their feet up, boasting they were writing down how many TD's they were going to catch, to be opened after the game. Quietly, full of decency and tact, and class like their coach Bill Walsh, the 49er DBs didn't say a word back. They did all their talking on the field. Lott, Wright and Williamson shut them down, including that famous windmill hit you see in highlight films. After the game, they said they were tired of all the hype on Duper and Clayton and felt overlooked and unappreciated. They had something to prove, and they did it. IMO that was the greatest WR-DB matchup in NFL history.

I watched all those teams, and I can say for sure, Marino NEVER had a good RB or defense. It was all the air show, and it could only carry them so far. They were not a complete team, they were just able to outscore people enough times to make the playoffs a lot. THAT is why they never won the big one, it wasn't Marino's fault. (Same basic story with the Fouts era Chargers, though Muncie was a good back.)

Hey Kitty, the Niners wiped the floor with the Dolphins in SB XIX, no doubt.
The debate about Manning choking will play out a little more this Sunday. If the Colts go to the Super Bowl, Manning will have to hear all of this shit about being a choker for 2 weeks.
Meanwhile, back to SB XIX for one moment, Telflon Dan Marino never made it back to the Super Bowl after losing to the Niners. He was in the league for 17 years.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i like peyton manning the person... i think his commercials are funny. until last season i was also on the colt/peyton bandwagon. then that steelers game happened... when the super bowl was handed to them on a silver platter, with the pats losing in denver and all and the colts having homefield throughout... and playing a 6 seed at home in the dome... and they still couldn't get it done.

and then peyton blamed someone else.

thus ended my time on the pey pey bandwagon.

Exactly my view. :up:

I think what Peyton said was overblown. He didn't say the Oline didnt do their job or that they sucked, he said that they had protection issues, which was true. And he is the one who calls out the protections at the LOS, so he was blaming himself as much as he was blaming the line.

Much agreed with Chizip.

AND....I was wrong with my Patriot arrival time. :tsk:

They arrived at 4:30ish this afternoon...watched them deplane.

Game on.

Hewson said:
Plus Marino's performance in Ace Ventura pwns all 3,428 of Peyton's commercials currently airing on TV combined.

alas, i believe then that brett favre trumps both of them with not only his super bowl ring, but his oscar worthy performance in there's something about mary.

"i'm in town to play the dolphins you dumb ass"

My brother just pulled into his hotel in Indianapolis. He'll be tailagating tommorrow. I hope for some cell phone updates from the game.

Where are you, Zoney? You must be in Indianapolis too?

Hey guys, i'm unamerican, I'm rooting for the bears tomorrow!

Wow. No one is picking the Bear tomorrow. Should they even bother showing up? I mean, the fix seems to be in for the United Saints of America. :|

hey sock fan...go check the pictures thread

WildHoneyAlways said:
Wow. No one is picking the Bear tomorrow. Should they even bother showing up? I mean, the fix seems to be in for the United Saints of America. :|

I would like to see Lovey Dovey and Tony in the Super Bowl.

No one has mentioned the fact that we have a decent chance of having the first ever black head coach in the super bowl.

Sock! It was so damn hot though. :foamfinger:

zoney! said:

No one has mentioned the fact that we have a decent chance of having the first ever black head coach in the super bowl.

lovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovieloviebearsbearsbearsbearsbearsbears
lovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovie
lovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovieloviebearsbearsbearsditkabearsbears

Re: Sock! It was so damn hot though. :foamfinger:

WildHoneyAlways said:

lovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovieloviebearsbearsbearsbearsbearsbears
lovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovie
lovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovieloviebearsbearsbearsditkabearsbears

Has anyone mentioned anything about you needing some help...aw hell.

lovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovielovieBearsBearsBearsBearsBearsBearsBearsBearsBearsBearsDitkaBearsBearsBearsSingletaryPaytonBearsBearsBears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom