An olive branch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I've been coming here a lot lately, where I haven't so much in the past, but I've found myself getting a little burnt out from coming here/watching the news channels and reading the papers. :crazy: That said, I have really enjoyed reading the posts, though I might not agree with all of them, and consider myself better informed than I was just a few weeks ago.

FYM = :up: Group hugs = :hug: :)

Welcome to the club. I've been feeling *very* burned out on politics lately. I blame a f:censored:g eight month long campaign. It's ridiculous. I'm thinking of writing some letters to the newspapers saying I think campaign season is too damned long and what do people think? It's getting really bad when your therapist tells you to ignore the news, but mine did! Fizz, how long does a campaign in the U.K. last? Six weeks? That's more like it. Ideally a presidential campaign starts after the conventions and lasts until Election Day. The way it is it's f:censored:d up big time and needs to be changed.

verte76 said:

Ideally a presidential campaign starts after the conventions and lasts until Election Day. The way it is it's f:censored:d up big time and needs to be changed.

i dont believe britain has set election dates so the length of a campaign is dependant on how far in advance it is called. this is the situation in canada and the most a formal campaign would last would be 5 weeks.

this is untenable in the u.s. however. the rise of election campaign 'glamor', if you will, is correlated to the innovation of the 24 hour news network and their insatiable desire for content.

--

BP, if you came away from a recent exchange between us with the impression that i considered you unintelligent, i feel you should know i intended no such thing. if this is the case, i apologize. i literally just meant that you have a varied vision of political spectral boundaries than others.

Verte, that's pretty cool, that agreement-that's a good idea. And the rest of your post was very interesting, too, the fact that you kinda have views from both sides in you and everything. I'm kinda the same way-for the most part, my views lean to the left, but there's a couple issues here and there where I can totally side with the conservatives, too.

Also, BluberryPoptart, you're very welcome :) :hug:. I totally agree that people shouldn't be afraid to speak their mind, even if they know that their views won't be very popular with people. But I can completely understand wanting to take a break, too. God, this is my first year I'll be voting in a presidential election, and I'm already feeling a slight burn out like a lot of you. I remember February of this year in particular was a frustrating month for me-so much stuff was going on that month in the news that was getting me all riled up...and then I realized that I still had to sit through about eight more months of that kind of thing before November. Definitely not a fun thing to realize.

I personally still intend on debating this stuff, though, just 'cause I think it's in my blood to be all opinionated and stuff :p. But if somebody else here feels it's better for them to take a break and deal with less stressful stuff, that's totally understandable-I'd much rather that be their reason for leaving this area of the boards than their reason being that they didn't feel welcome here or something. Nobody should ever feel that way.

I think this is an excellent idea:

Originally posted by LoveTown
I ask all FYMers to do just ONE thing. If you come across a post and it makes you mad and you are tempted to say something mean spirited please take a deep breath, count to 10 and think about the situation a bit BEFORE you post.

Yes. Add to that that perhaps it'd be best to read the post again carefully and see if you possibly thought it was mean-spirited when it really wasn't. I know that can be kinda hard to tell on the Internet at times, but there are ways to figure it out, so...

Anywho, yeah, that idea works for me :up:.

Originally posted by LoveTown
And yep, I have to remember to do this myself!!

So will I. I've been known to lose my cool on occasion in debates with people before, too, so yeah, I'll definitely have to keep this in mind.

This is good, people, this is nice. :yes:.

Angela

This is a lovely thread, LoveTown. Thank you for starting it!

It's obvious that people feel passionately about the outcome of this election. That's good! It's good to take an interest in the future of the U.S. The bad side of this passion is when you begin judging people based solely on their passion for the candidate you oppose.

I, personally, have been spending most of my online time these days at two political forums that share my pro-Kerry views. I'd rather post what I feel about this election there instead of Interference. This site is so important to me as an outlet for my admiration of U2, that I don't want to have bad feelings about it based on what takes place at FYM.

Anyway, big :hug: to everyone here!

Well, my shrink made some adjustments in my antidepressant, so I'm feeling much better now. I'm still not exactly planning to tune into Judy Woodruff anytime soon. :wink:

even though I appreciate threads like these :)
I do want to point out that it's hardly ever anything to do with someone's opinion, but the way he/she choses to express this opinion that makes threads like these sort of necessary every month or so

:up:

kobayashi said:

i dont believe britain has set election dates so the length of a campaign is dependant on how far in advance it is called. this is the situation in canada and the most a formal campaign would last would be 5 weeks.

this is untenable in the u.s. however. the rise of election campaign 'glamor', if you will, is correlated to the innovation of the 24 hour news network and their insatiable desire for content.

You're right. Perhaps the real problem is the stupid :censored: press. They've got to put some sort of spin on every damn thing, including trivia. I'm a trivia buff but I hate this kind of trivia. And I knew that Britain didn't have set election dates, the prime minister calls elections. Their campaign seasons are much shorter, that's for damn sure.

Last edited:
I have tears in my eyes while reading this thread. I have been feeling so emotional over the policital threads and I thought it was just me. It feels so good to know that we all have been feeling this way and all of us want to work towards getting along.
We don't have to have the same views, we just need to respect each other.

:hug:

Thanks for starting this thread, Love Town. :applaud:

Glad you're feeling better, verte :).

Diane L said:
It's obvious that people feel passionately about the outcome of this election. That's good! It's good to take an interest in the future of the U.S.

Very true. It's definitely good to know that there are people out there who still do care about this stuff. :yes:.

Also, you're welcome, LoveTown :hug:.

Angela

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I've been coming here a lot lately, where I haven't so much in the past, but I've found myself getting a little burnt out from coming here/watching the news channels and reading the papers. :crazy: That said, I have really enjoyed reading the posts, though I might not agree with all of them, and consider myself better informed than I was just a few weeks ago.

FYM = :up: Group hugs = :hug: :)

All I know is that I am a much happier person since I stopped watching or reading election coverage.:happy:

I'm so happy that people have gotten something from this thread. If we all in hang in there and look out for one another we will all make it through this election just fine!

Salome said:
even though I appreciate threads like these :)
I do want to point out that it's hardly ever anything to do with someone's opinion, but the way he/she choses to express this opinion that makes threads like these sort of necessary every month or so

:up:

:hug: to all FYMers. I love NBC caustics but wonderful oneliners to pro-liberal threads and even STING2's resolution 1441 can have it's charm. I love how Dread can't be pigeonholed into a ideology (often just to stir up shit). and Klaus' calm world view.
Fizz is a woman after my own heart as is our most diplomatic poster Verte. MA is a mega informed youngster (only in relation to me hehe). I care for and respect all of you and wish the world could only be like us.

LoveTown said:
I'm so happy that people have gotten something from this thread. If we all in hang in there and look out for one another we will all make it through this election just fine!

I agree. This is a crazy, manic election to me. It's not like any other I've ever been through. The polarization is just unbelievable. It's scary that there is this much of a divide in our political life. So far, the toughest election campaign I've ever been through was 1988, Bush vs. Dukakis. I hope I don't step on any toes here, but I thought that campaign was awful. It was way too negative, there wasn't much vision from either candidate, quite frankly, and it was the most depressing campaign season ever. It was a low point for civility in politics. I'm afraid this season will be worse. God help us if it is.
I love the civility of FYM. I have very strong feelings about civility in politics. I won't vote for rude liberals, and I'll listen to nice conservatives. Too often, IMO, there is a lack of civility in our body politic, on both sides. If I can do my little purple tuppence's worth about this then I'll be happy. Ultimately I agree with Barack Obama that there's not a liberal America or a conservative America, we are the United States of America. It's *our* country.

Last edited:
I thought BP signed this truce -

ooops, she pulled a "pre-emptive strike" and just went on the offensive in another thread in this forum! :lmao:

And then people criticize me for being righteous.

At least I don't agree to something one day and then break it the next.

THIS IS THE TIME TO FINISH WHAT YOU'VE STARTED. THIS IS NO TIME TO DREAM.:bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

Scarletwine said:

I love how Dread can't be pigeonholed into a ideology (often just to stir up shit).

I can't be pingeonholed into signing a freaking truce either:mac:

So all you FYM huggers just save it and stick it where the sun don't shine because I want no part of this love fest!!!!!!!

:madspit: :madspit: :madspit:

Think of your children! and Your Childrens Children!

Oh...and by the way....You all rock!

Last edited:
Heh heh, look at all this love. It's a good idea too, while it's important to take politics seriously (representative government works both ways), you don't want it to harm your health!

I do find it really interesting how into politics you guys get. Australians just don't do that as a rule. I don't know what the difference is, but although we care about the government and we will kick up a fuss if we think something is being done wrong, we don't get as involved as Americans seem to. I'm not saying one is better than the other - I'm just curious as to why there is such a difference.

Jamila said:
I thought BP signed this truce -

ooops, she pulled a "pre-emptive strike" and just went on the offensive in another thread in this forum! :lmao:

And then people criticize me for being righteous.

At least I don't agree to something one day and then break it the next.

THIS IS THE TIME TO FINISH WHAT YOU'VE STARTED. THIS IS NO TIME TO DREAM.

Why thank you for your special brand of sugar coated saracasm! Yes, you ARE self rigteous, holier than thou, and very annoying Jamila! :wave:

PEACE AND LOVE AND HAPPINESS JAMILA!!! :happy: :hug: :angel: :bono: :heart: :wave: :D

Luthien Black, depends what you mean by 'involved' I guess. I do most definitely think you have a point (I'm Australian too), but remember less than 50% of US citizens vote. That's a scary figure.

Blueberrypoptart: Ok, I'll bite, I can't help myself. You (in your online persona) appear to be one of the most hateful, bitter, relentlessly partisan people I have ever seen on this forum. And you want people to be nice to you? Amazingly, quite a few people seem to be trying to do just that.

Patience People, BP has a point - being condacending and ganging up on an individual is turning this entire thread to a bitterfest.

Jamilia also has a point - hypocracy is bad.

Stop this Crazyness! I dont want to see this thread disintegrate into a hatefest and then have the animosity infect other threads. Agree to Disagree, whatever Just Nobody fire any more shots at eachother!!! Things have been said but get over it and move on, please.

As another Australian, maybe its because we have to vote, it certainly makes for a lot of apathy about government.

Election 2007 - Vote Abbott and Costello :slant:

Last edited:
Seriously, Pax wasn't kidding when she said put a damn sock in it.
:wink:

Hows this for apathy?
"By 1990, no Australian child be will living in poverty"

/irreverance

Luthien Black said:
Heh heh, look at all this love. It's a good idea too, while it's important to take politics seriously (representative government works both ways), you don't want it to harm your health!

I do find it really interesting how into politics you guys get. Australians just don't do that as a rule. I don't know what the difference is, but although we care about the government and we will kick up a fuss if we think something is being done wrong, we don't get as involved as Americans seem to. I'm not saying one is better than the other - I'm just curious as to why there is such a difference.

Oh, politics is definitely not worth your health! Actually Americans are not usually quite as passionate about elections as we are this year. I don't know why. Sure alot of people don't like Bush, but heck, alot of people didn't like Clinton either and this kind of polarization didn't happen. At this point in 2000, most people hadn't decided who they were voting for. This year the polls at least claim that 90% of the electorate has already decided who they're voting for. We've already had hundreds of millions spent in advertising. They usually don't do this this early. That's why I'm currently not following the election. I'm tired!

On the US election I think that the FYM forum should run a single thread as the results come in, I will proudly indulge in a *vodka down here when the best man wins, whose with me?

Theres no honour left in arguments today, its all been swept away by politics and frankly it sickens me. I want to see a real civil debate here where there is enough mutual respect or at least self restraint to accept and debate peoples political persuasions without resorting to childish name calling. The entire purpose is the argument, but its structured argument and its best done with finesse, something that I am still working to perfect no matter what position is being argued.

*uh doesnt have to be Vodka, I dont know the rules in regards to referencing raising a toast of some type, if you are <18 or 21 then dont drink yeah, you know what I mean.

Last edited:
A_Wanderer, I have to leave for a trip the day after the election so I might be packing. I think it's a little ironic that I'm going to Washington D.C.!! We went ahead and booked the hotel rooms because we're afraid the whole place is going to be manic due to the election. I know I'll be relieved that the damn pundits and pollsters will have to figure out a different way to sell the media. And oh, yes, I'm legal to drink but I detest vodka. :wink:

Klaus said:
Thanks Leeloo, that was an interesting story, i didn't know that!

olivenbaum.jpg

Let's all enjoy the shade of our FYM-Olive Tree, and celebrate the things that unite us.
And in our next dispute on FYM let us all remember not to brake off an olive branch on purpose

Thank you, I've never seen a picture of one!

Thank you Sarit for the Noah story!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom