American Soul.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The fuck is wrong with you. White As Snow is one of NLOTH's better tracks.

And American Soul is clearly superior to Elvis Ate America, Red Light, A Room at the Heartbreak Hotel, So Cruel, TTTYAATW, Babyface, Miami, Playboy Mansion, In a Little While, Stuck in a Moment, Peace on Earth, Grace, SYCMIOYO, OOTS, Yahweh, Boots, Stand Up Comedy, Breathe, Unknown Caller, California, Song for Someone, The Blurst Thing... probably a few others.

So it's bad, but it's not that bad.

So Cruel??? Please say it aint so Ax!

The fuck is wrong with you. White As Snow is one of NLOTH's better tracks.

And American Soul is clearly superior to Elvis Ate America, Red Light, A Room at the Heartbreak Hotel, So Cruel, TTTYAATW, Babyface, Miami, Playboy Mansion, In a Little While, Stuck in a Moment, Peace on Earth, Grace, SYCMIOYO, OOTS, Yahweh, Boots, Stand Up Comedy, Breathe, Unknown Caller, California, Song for Someone, The Blurst Thing... probably a few others.

So it's bad, but it's not that bad.

You have to be joking. Are you being ironic or sarcastic?

It might be better than Stand Up Comedy or Room at the Heartbreak (that's being generous) but many of the songs on your list are exceptional tracks.

American Soul is abysmal at best. Are we listening to the same song?!

So Cruel??? Please say it aint so Ax!

I'm being entirely serious, and miss the days when that song was one of this forum's whipping boys. It's excruciatingly boring.

It might be better than Stand Up Comedy or Room at the Heartbreak (that's being generous) but many of the songs on your list are exceptional tracks.

I wrote not a single word in jest.

If Bono had bothered to write decent lyrics, I'd probably like American Soul. It's a shame he turned it into the butt of a thousand Interference memes. But it's obviously far superior than that Best Thing drivel.

I'm being entirely serious, and miss the days when that song was one of this forum's whipping boys. It's excruciatingly boring.

That's how I feel about Miracle Drug.

American Soul is pretty great until the Volcano bit appears.

How can you say Miracle Drug is boring when it's positively lively compared to the next song, SYCMIOYO!

And I don't have a problem with U2 referencing SOI on SOE, but why they'd reference one of SOI's worst parts, those lines from Volcano, I cannot fathom.

This will be the first U2 album where I'll have to make my own tracklisting right off the bat.

Change number one will be replacing American Soul with Glastonbury.

After reading the reviews here for the last few weeks, I am actually pleasantly surprised as it it nowhere near as bad as the hyperbole around here. I'm enjoying the groove and the throwback to Volcano. Not great but not too bad either.

This will be the first U2 album where I'll have to make my own tracklisting right off the bat.

Change number one will be replacing American Soul with Glastonbury.

I haven't listened to Glastonbury for years... It is a bit of fresh air and proof once again that U2 needs to stop over cooking songs. Instead of one really cool, rocking song, we have 3 versions of an average song.

Soooo I dunno if it was due to my tempered expectations prior to hearing the track (the song has certainly developed quite the unfavorable reputation), but I'm, like, kinda diggin' this one lol (though I'll join in the consensus regarding the recycled Volcano bit)

I just heard it this morning for the first time, and I'm in the same boat as your first impression. I was expecting a really lame "RAWK" U2 song, but it's pretty groovy!

(Also, I really don't mind the Volcano bridge nod - I think it works really well for a chorus)

I haven't listened to Glastonbury for years... It is a bit of fresh air and proof once again that U2 needs to stop over cooking songs. Instead of one really cool, rocking song, we have 3 versions of an average song.

0:47 - 1:15 is where it's at! Dope! Fresh! Hype!

Hyperbole abounds (but I'm serious).

Listened to it since U2 put it out.

LOL @ refuJesus uproar.

Not even remotely as offensive as the band recyling Glastonbury riff and Volcano the breakdown/chorus.

Pity as the verses have a good guitar sound going...

The original Glastonbury is brilliant IMO. How it became two terrible songs is frankly weird.

(*For the record I’m enjoying the other songs)

that's like those people who ask for the receipt so they can return their Christmas present :|

Are there only complainers and cry babies left on this forum? Reading these responses is like listening to a record that is stuck. Pathetic! If you want Achtung Baby part 2 you better leave now because you will never get it. Just enjoy the current music, give it a chance and if you don't stop bitching about it. There is probably enough music that you will like. U2 is never going to give you what you want. They are making music that they enjoy so learn to live with it.

Are there only complainers and cry babies left on this forum? Reading these responses is like listening to a record that is stuck. Pathetic! If you want Achtung Baby part 2 you better leave now because you will never get it. Just enjoy the current music, give it a chance and if you don't stop bitching about it. There is probably enough music that you will like. U2 is never going to give you what you want. They are making music that they enjoy so learn to live with it.
There is a ton of negativity around here for sure. Personally I absolutely love all 4 versions of TBT, GOOYOW, and Blackout. I've only listened to American Soul a few times and after all the negativity here, I was actually pleasantly surprised. Best U2 song ever? Nope, but I enjoy the groove.

After all of the wonderful music U2 has made- this is all just a bonus IMO.

True, just give it a chance. Even if it's not what you wanted or expected. I like that saying: it's just a bonus.

I like it. I like the keyboards in the verses, I like the breakdown towards the final chorus. Personally I think it's miles from their worst (SUC, I'm looking at you), but to each their own.

So i listened to it for the first time this morning and gave it about 8 spins since to really soak it in.

Over the past few weeks, people have bashed this song to no end and i was going into it with a low bar.

My take:

Great opening, what an awesome guitar/drum/bass combo.

The chorus doesn’t do anything for me and doesn’t compliment the song.

The lyrics are fine. Some are pretty good, some are meh.

The “refu-Jesus” line was way overblown here and sounds fine to me.

The recycled Volcano chorus doesn’t bother me at all but the chorus itself isn’t good.

All in all, there is a lot of cool sounds, decent lyrics and it’s an okay song for me(could change). i would say it’s a 5 or 6 out of 10. I’ll keep listening and it could change but likely will stay in that range.

This song is not nearly as offensive as some have made it out to be but it’s my least favorite of the new tunes at the moment.

This feels like something they could write in their sleep and the production doesn't really suit it. Sounds like b-side material.

I imagine it will be better live.

As a concept, I like the partnership with Volcano, although I think it works better as a breakdown/bridge than a chorus. If this is their idea of a third or fourth single (whatever that means), maybe the rest of the album will be a little more daring...

I’m not a hater! I love the other songs for the record.

This ones about as good as All Because of You or Wild Honey, it’s just OK. Not the end of the world!

I hate myself for saying this, but I'm kind of coming around to this song. It's grown on me.

I still think the lyrics are pretty dumb. But the verse groove is getting to me.

I'm not crazy about this particular song, but I cannot *wait* for the Bono interview where he performs mental gymnastics to defend the Volcano lift.

"Now following an album with a sequel album of material is cheeky. But repurposing a chorus from our last album? That's *really* cheeky. But it only works if it comes from a place of truth, and I think we pulled it off."

:D

I don't think anybody will ask him about this - or care really. Despite the early traction of the first single, this album will achieve zero cultural relevance. The tour will be a money machine, though.

How could SYCMIOYO and OOTS be on any bad song list?!

This blanket condemning of honest reactions to U2's new material really needs to stop. No one should be vilified for not liking a song. By your logic, everyone would be an absolute sycophant.

I can understand pointing it out if someone is always negative, but I can also wholeheartedly appreciate it if someone doesn't like this song...and they have a right to say it.

Oh, and U2 has given me what I wanted a number of times over the years.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom