American Soul.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Echoing what many have said here.

I've tried to get into this song, but its just a bad idea that should have never come to fruition.

Really, really poor on many levels, hope it never sees any promotion, is never played in concert, and is relegated to being a shit song that made the album for some odd reason.

Are you impressed or depressed? Genuinely interested as someone who hasn’t heard the song.

Cosmo -
I think you and I have somewhat similar taste. You are a bit more into the ATYCLB/Bomb era than I am i think. But we both like the new songs and SOI a lot.

That said. prepare yourself to be less than thrilled with this tune. It may be better for you than me, because it definitely gives me a Bomb vibe. Like i mentioned before, I love Volcano. Mostly because on the verse section, Bono's vocals evoke a Boy/October feel to me and it's just really good.
Here, the chorus is "recycled" but the delivery feels much more flat.

Lyrics is what really kill me. Terribly literal, lets hold hands stuff.
I like the first minute of the song the best, where it is more abstract. The music is decent and rocks pretty well, but is still pretty standard. Nothing going on too earth shattering.

My best description is a little more focused Get on Your Boots, recorded by the band during the Bomb sessions... GOYB actually has better guitar for sure, but is a more scattered song.

Would have been a fun, strong B-side. But should not be an album track IMO.

Kills me that I've already run into a skip track out of the first 4... So only one more skip track allowed for it to be as good as SOI for me.

Hope that i am lowering your expectations and you like it. Will be interested in hearing what you think!!

Last edited:
Get on Your Boots fucking rocks. What is wrong with people?

And what needs to not be on the album or played live is the weak sauce schlocky stuff like "Your the best thing.."

That is just milquetoast filler nonsense.

Get on Your Boots fucking rocks. What is wrong with people?

And what needs to not be on the album or played live is the weak sauce schlocky stuff like "Your the best thing.."

That is just milquetoast filler nonsense.

I must be the only one in the world who like the Grammy perfomence of that song:

I still like Best Thing. After listen 1000.

I think opinions are like...ehh, it's an overdone notion. But some opinions shouted the loudest seem to take on a cult following. I would venture to guess the majority of U2 fans, even on this board, like Best Thing. Some, like me, love it...instant smile.

I wonder if it has something to do, as is true about most love/tribute to a lover songs, with whether the listener has experienced that kind of love, or is living in it. Those who haven't found a transformative love won't be as accepting of lovey-dovey lyrics. I find personal resonance with some of the lyrics in Best Thing...My wife is the best thing about me, the best thing I ever accomplished (our kids are part of that, so...) She was a real accomplished, driven person who was, in part, intrigued by me and interested in taking a friendship to the next level because I was a kind of trouble that she enjoyed (not "bad boy", just political, cynical with reason, not the boy her friends and family pictured her with). I grew with her, and took on her best attributes and have grown less cynical and her friends who once hated me are close friends. She has taken on some of my questioning and is less likely to be taken advantage of. The Edge part could be written about us from the point of view of my closest friend. It just hits in every way. And that is personal, not universal. But the lyric is universal enough to be felt by anyone with a transformative love, or who pissed one away even with the "Why am I walking away?"

This isn't a thread about that song, but the idea is true to all songs. When an artist goes personal, there is risk. Michael Stipe had the worst time writing love songs...Paul McCartney, the greatest at the genre, wrote the schlockiest and called it Silly. I am sure the poppiness turns some off, and some dislike the cut-and-paste nature of some of the transitions. But I also truly believe some of the hatred (not all...if it doesn't apply to you, it doesn't) is from not relating to the lyric.

Last edited:
The less I come to this forum the more I like the songs. This has become a haven for bitchers and haters

Yeah you guys have become literally a bunch of entitled cry baby haters that do nothing but bitch about everything U2 does it’s ridiculous. I got a better idea if you hate the songs you’ve heard so much including American Soul then just don’t buy the album. There’s a thought ! I think American Soul friggin rocks!

You guys are :crazy:

American Soul is U2's BEST Rock song in years...:rockon:

Volcano recycled pre-chorus turned into a chorus does not disqualify a song...nor do lyrics that are politically specific...:sigh:

Flat delivery of the chorus...:doh:

What are your thoughts on the song? I haven't heard it, so I'm genuinely interested.

I admire your will power! If I knew there was a new u2 song out there waiting to be heard, I would say fuck it! I think you will have to listen to it on your own, as in this forum you will get those who absolutely love it and those who absolutely hate it. All I can say it's a real rocker with maybe not the best lyrics at all but the recycled volcano parts don't offend me. I also like at the beginning there seems to be voices from a crowed of sorts. The rapping works better here than on the end of gooyow. Will be nice to see how it's done in the album how both songs transition.

Last edited:
I admire your will power! If I knew there was a new u2 song out there waiting to be heard, I would say fuck it! I think you will have to listen to it on your own, as in this forum you will get those who absolutely love it and those who absolutely hate it. All I can say it's a real rocker with maybe not the best lyrics at all but the recycled volcano parts don't offend me. I also like at the beginning there seems to be voices from a crowed of sorts. The rapping works better here than on the end of gooyow. Will be nice to see how it's done in the album how both songs transition.

It’s not easy but the 3 songs we have i all enjoy, so they will easily occupy me for the ~20 Days we have left. It also is just one more song that i get to experience(pun intended) at midnight on 12/1(so...9 new songs and TLTTGMA, which i am super excited to hear the studio mix of)

To be fair this place was relentlessly positive as new songs were released for Bomb and No Line.
But that was before refu-jesus.

Boxing day tests are illegitimate until Australia agree to face a snarling full strength kiwi team.

Boxing day tests are illegitimate until Australia agree to face a snarling full strength kiwi team.

:lol:

I miss when New Zealand played its own Boxing Day Tests, rather than Boxing Day ODIs/T20s. One of my fondest memories, and the first time I ever attended live sport, was when my father took me to the third day of a Boxing Day Test between New Zealand and Zimbabwe at the Basin Reserve. I still remember some twat behind us spending the whole morning calling out "Aaaaaaastle! Aaaaaaaaaaaastle!" until my father snapped, turned around, told him to "shut the fuck up", and got applauded by everybody within earshot.

To be fair this place was relentlessly positive as new songs were released for Bomb and No Line.

Might be time to get that memory checked.

Bomb, maybe? NLOTH? It looked like this, just more posters.

Come on now,don't bring refu-jesus into this. He is our saviour!

Coming here when a new U2 song comes out is like spending Christmas with someone who hates Christmas.

This place is like positive U2 heaven compared to what @U2 forum used to be. That place was like 70/30 negative, and here it's about 70/30 positive.

The negative is always gonna seem louder. And hell, it would be so boring without it.

Whether people love the new songs or hate them, who really cares?? It's new music and that's fun! Besides, it's a freaking interwebs messageboard meant for frivolous banter and aimless passing of time. Anyone genuinely invested in the comments posted here should probably take a break.

The more I listen to this song, the more I like it. Definitely a grower. There are actually some cool things going on with it. The repeating of “look around, it’s a sound,” Edge’s backing vocals, and the band build-up to the crescendo at the end are all interesting and great segments.

Like has been mentioned before I also think it’s quite possible he’s saying refugees; us! But we’ll wait and see on that.

ok. I'll admit. I started out liking the song pretty well. Then i began to really dislike it, but now i'm getting to where i like it well enough to listen once in a while. It's definitely in the 5-ish rating range like Miracle or SFS, where i kind of like to hear it from time to time, but would also probably skip it if i were listening to the whole album.

Again, the Edge kind of saves this one for me with his cool vocal part. It breaks up the rawk that is kind of beating you over the head, and throws in something a little different and smooth.
It still pales to Volcano for me, mostly because of the lyrics and cause i like the Volcano chorus delivery better on Volcano than here. But its an ok song, and not a complete stinker for me.

Fingers crossed that nothing else on SOE is worse than this for me.

Whether people love the new songs or hate them, who really cares?? It's new music and that's fun! Besides, it's a freaking interwebs messageboard meant for frivolous banter and aimless passing of time. Anyone genuinely invested in the comments posted here should probably take a break.

:up:

Back
Top Bottom