All Purpose Pre-Show Lineup Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
care to copy and paste? :wink:
also that atu2 thread is amazing, how can people still try and justify this?

Last edited:
Posting just responses, no real names.

Me: I was all too happy to tell a line leader she had no actual authority yesterday when she was trying to enforce "their" 4:30 check in. If you're reading this, hello! *waves*

������

Line leader: hi all. all I can say is someone has to organize us and there is always something about the process to hate. the 430 check in was so that we the fans could sort ourselves north and south. the organizers (Betsy and I) actually ran it because the two dudes who had intended to do so had no experience doing so. and we actually worked with the venue to be walked up the stairs early, and to hold back red zone and the ride.

Other person: Organizing a line days before a show-have at it. People want to line up then, all good, you know what you're in for.
'Line leaders' trying to enforce their own rules on a wristbanded line at 5pm? Yelling at people?telling them they can't switch sides? NOT COOL. It's the venue's show after 8am.
Trying to impose non venue rules on people at 4:30-5pm is bs.

Line leader: the venue asked us to organize ourselves into the north and south and get into numeric order by 5 yesterday. like I said some people find something to hate about everything. I was happy so many in our community appreciated our volunteer efforts.

Other person: Getting in line in numeric order is fine. Telling people they can't switch sides or don't let anyone in if they show up after 5pm even if their number is lower than yours, that they have to go to the back is just not right.
I've been in well run lines. Those are the ones where people aren't yelling at fans.
People read the venue policy emailed and posted on their site. It nowhere states that you lose your place in line if you show up at 5:23.

Me: That was great that you worked with venue security and gave them the heads up about RZ and Ride Share. But I saw your co-leader screaming at people who looked bewildered at what the hell she was talking about. They probably got wristbands after 8 when the early people went in and weren't there when anyone mentioned the 4:30 check in. That was not right. I was happy to see security lead them to the line anyways.

Anyways, whatever. The GA BS will continue. I am grateful for my two shows so far and look forward to Tuesday. I just wanted to speak my mind.

Line leader: have a great day!

:lol:

If the line "police" are only self-ordained then why listen to them? Did they do the same thing for 360?

So ... like start your own line? Or just waltz in and disregard the line and refuse to move?

Option A just leads to chaos, and not even those in this thread want that. It's happened in the past, I think, and why shouldn't it? If I'm just some fan who doesn't hang out online and doesn't have a bunch of die-hard U2 fans in my circle, and I decide to start a line a day before the show, why the fuck should I assume someone has started a line three days earlier? The lines end up getting merged or something like that.

Option B just means being a different kind of asshole. I've heard tales of this actually happening, and there's a part of me that's like "hey, good for them," but you're not just pissing off the people you want to piss off, you're also being a jerk to all sorts of people who are just trying to see a show. And likely, if you showed up at 6 am that day and planted yourself at the venue because the venue said "6:00 day of show," you're in for a full day of people being pissed off at you. Who the hell wants that?

I think any venue that tells people before the show that any unofficial lines (i.e. the fan lines) have no standing never ends up sticking to that, because they realize what a gigantic can of worms they will open if they try and do anything to disperse or ignore a fan-run line of 100-200 people the day of the show.

I think the only thing that would ever stop it would be if the band instituted some alternative policy, which apparently is never going to happen. The Vertigo ellipse lottery didn't stop it (people still lined up for the chance to be on the outer rail).

I'd love love love it if U2 even attempted the Springsteen GA policy, but I think at this point, they just don't want to get involved. It seems in the past there have been quotes from the band that they were tired of seeing the same faces, but they've changed their mind and decided it doesn't bother them.

Last edited:
I could be wrong but when I was watching periscope it looked to me that neither Mrs. Edge nor GG were right on the rail but maybe a person or two back? I think Julia in Chicago was also a couple of people back?

Still, the e stage appears to be the go to spot for lots of people on this tour whether on the rail or not.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Nah, I was on the rail. Not sure about Mrs. The Edge. My friends and I didn't bother with the line for Toronto 1 (we wanted a good view of everything and the freedom to move about as we pleased). I did scope out the line on Monday, though, and was told by the line leader to show up at the main GA gate immediately after the show to get our numbers for Tuesday. By the time we got there (which was fairly soon after the show ended), about 65 or so people were ahead of us. I half suspect that said people either weren't at Toronto 1, or they left the show before it ended... The latter possibility wouldn't surprise me, though it would make me want to facepalm repeatedly if it was indeed the case.

Maybe Gvox or u2bro can assist since I'm also in Toronto: what time did they line up to get directly against the Experience stage?
For the 3rd leg of 360 my wife and I went with Red Zone and we walked in around 430 and all rail spots were gone and inside the ring was pretty much filled. I heard ppl talking that they lined up at 9am!?

I am mixed for next time: GA, Red Zone or seats. I guess it depends on where it's at: Arena or Dome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe Gvox or u2bro can assist since I'm also in Toronto: what time did they line up to get directly against the Experience stage?
For the 3rd leg of 360 my wife and I went with Red Zone and we walked in around 430 and all rail spots were gone and inside the ring was pretty much filled. I heard ppl talking that they lined up at 9am!?

I am mixed for next time: GA, Red Zone or seats. I guess it depends on where it's at: Arena or Dome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lining up at 9am (or even earlier -- I think I got to the Skydome around 7am back in 2009) is pretty much the norm if you want rail spots in GA. That's when I lined up (after getting my number the night before), and I was on the e-stage rail for the most recent Toronto show. It seems like it would be unbearable until you've done it, but it's actually fun if you're surrounded by nice U2 fans. Multiple people usually have the band's music playing on portable speakers, people hold your spot when you need to go to the bathroom or grab something to eat, no one looks at you askance for dorking out about setlists/Bono's hair/Adam's footwear, etc. It's all part of the experience.

Lining up at 9am (or even earlier -- I think I got to the Skydome around 7am back in 2009) is pretty much the norm if you want rail spots in GA. That's when I lined up (after getting my number the night before), and I was on the e-stage rail for the most recent Toronto show. It seems like it would be unbearable until you've done it, but it's actually fun if you're surrounded by nice U2 fans. Multiple people usually have the band's music playing on portable speakers, people hold your spot when you need to go to the bathroom or grab something to eat, no one looks at you askance for dorking out about setlists/Bono's hair/Adam's footwear, etc. It's all part of the experience.

:wave: hey line neighbor from Toronto 2! I was with Kelly ;)

I concur with GibsonGirl...if you want rail, it's a day long lining up deal for the most part. However, depending on how the line is being "run"...it appears normal now to go away to do things like eat, shower, get a little more freshened up, etc.

I've also heard that people say that even 9am is probably early if you dont really care what part of the rail you get. If you're content with The Shaft (snicker)..you can probably come later even. :shrug:

Also, I think it really depends on the day of the week. Toronto was odd in that it was a Monday and Tuesday. I don't think there were more than 150 people both days before 4PM. People came very late. Don't count on that on a Saturday or Sunday, however.

Posting just responses, no real names.

Me: I was all too happy to tell a line leader she had no actual authority yesterday when she was trying to enforce "their" 4:30 check in. If you're reading this, hello! *waves*

������

Line leader: hi all. all I can say is someone has to organize us and there is always something about the process to hate. the 430 check in was so that we the fans could sort ourselves north and south. the organizers (Betsy and I) actually ran it because the two dudes who had intended to do so had no experience doing so. and we actually worked with the venue to be walked up the stairs early, and to hold back red zone and the ride.

Other person: Organizing a line days before a show-have at it. People want to line up then, all good, you know what you're in for.
'Line leaders' trying to enforce their own rules on a wristbanded line at 5pm? Yelling at people?telling them they can't switch sides? NOT COOL. It's the venue's show after 8am.
Trying to impose non venue rules on people at 4:30-5pm is bs.

Line leader: the venue asked us to organize ourselves into the north and south and get into numeric order by 5 yesterday. like I said some people find something to hate about everything. I was happy so many in our community appreciated our volunteer efforts.

Other person: Getting in line in numeric order is fine. Telling people they can't switch sides or don't let anyone in if they show up after 5pm even if their number is lower than yours, that they have to go to the back is just not right.
I've been in well run lines. Those are the ones where people aren't yelling at fans.
People read the venue policy emailed and posted on their site. It nowhere states that you lose your place in line if you show up at 5:23.

Me: That was great that you worked with venue security and gave them the heads up about RZ and Ride Share. But I saw your co-leader screaming at people who looked bewildered at what the hell she was talking about. They probably got wristbands after 8 when the early people went in and weren't there when anyone mentioned the 4:30 check in. That was not right. I was happy to see security lead them to the line anyways.

Anyways, whatever. The GA BS will continue. I am grateful for my two shows so far and look forward to Tuesday. I just wanted to speak my mind.

Line leader: have a great day!

:lol:

Ooohh..I saw this post on the FB ticket thread..so I know who the line leader was..I am going to NYC 5 and 6 and I think that I have seen that group is going too...bummer!:huh:

So I went to the line both days in BOS. The line organizers day 1 said to be in line by 6 am. Venue said to arrive back at 8. Stupid!!!! Day 2 they said "we'll let you sleep an extra hour" be in line by 7. Again, when the venue said 8 am. For the show garden security said please don't come back before 5. We will go in at 6. The the fan group told everyone 4. We didn't listen. At that point Garden security was running the show. The thing that's annoying is when they do "check in's" they hold the first spots for them and their friends. So the rules they impose on the line don't apply to them. One of them came late and they "gave her" a top 5 number they held for her. They also hold numbers for people who work "shifts". The kicker is they left the show. I saw the mass exit and some missed 3 songs to start the line for the next day!!!! They missed 40. It's all crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I showed up Friday morning at 6:30 am and was 84.

I showed up friday about 7:40 and was #130. I was standing at the show on the catwalk rail alongside folks who were 86, 87 and either 85 or 88, so the folks right behind you in line, a couple from Atlanta and their friend (husband originally from here), nice folks.

Last edited:
I showed up friday about 7:40 and was #130. I was standing at the show on the catwalk rail alongside folks who were 86, 87 and either 85 or 88, so the folks right behind you in line, a couple from Atlanta and their friend (husband originally from here), nice folks.

I did not meet them. The ladies in front of us were very nice. They were from Saratoga and were only doing night one. We wound up on the e-stage rail with them. /coolstorybro

Not sure if you saw me. I was in a red t-shirt that said I'm Shipping Up to Boston.

Did you see Vik out in full force? :crack: :lol:

Last edited:
Did not see you. Was mid catwalk rail, ever so slightly closer to e stage than main, Adam's side.
I rolled back (4 of us in total in fact) into the line after 5 (like 5:15, cause folks were finishing up their dinners) and reclaimed my spot, Line Reich be damned. I also proceeded to leave the line at 5:30 to fill up my parking meter and waltzed back to my spot with no trouble.

I've honestly never gotten someone to hold a spot for me at any concert, but a friend from Australia has my ticket and will be getting to MSG1 before me. I'll be hopping in line with him when I get there, regardless of what any line leader says. :sexywink:

I've honestly never gotten someone to hold a spot for me at any concert, but a friend from Australia has my ticket and will be getting to MSG1 before me. I'll be hopping in line with him when I get there, regardless of what any line leader says. :sexywink:

Yea, see that's not cool. That's exactly one of our major beefs with the line leaders... They let their friends jump into line who weren't there all day.

The line should work like this...

Step 1. Show up when the venue tells you to show up.

Step 2. Wait, leaving the line only to pee, poo or grab something to eat.

That's how a line works. Anything else is bullshit.

I sympathize with you, but in no way should your friend save a spot. If you can't get there at the same time, either he waits for you and then gets in line when you arrive, or you go in separately.

These are some great tips - thanks all. I have always been a "seat only" fan, with the exception of my Red Zone experience during 360.

I have looked at a few pics from different angles and it appears if you want to be where Acrobat (band) was you miss seeing the screen. If you want to be close to the Innocence stage you miss out on the Experience aspect! LOL!

Did anyone here do the Red Zone at all?

Of course I am already planning for Leg 3 without even knowing where/when but I appreciate all your input for a newbie like me
:cute:

I have looked at a few pics from different angles and it appears if you want to be where Acrobat (band) was you miss seeing the screen. If you want to be close to the Innocence stage you miss out on the Experience aspect! LOL!

That's kind of the nice thing about it though... you're going to have pros and cons for just about every section. And for GA, not everyone is going to be running for one particular section, you know? That definitely helps if you have your eye set on being on the rail for one spot or another!

These are some great tips - thanks all. I have always been a "seat only" fan, with the exception of my Red Zone experience during 360.

Yes, where the I meets the E there is no screen on your horizon.

Mind you, there is no end to the love there, so there's that... :wink:

Did anyone here do the Red Zone at all?

Of course I am already planning for Leg 3 without even knowing where/when but I appreciate all your input for a newbie like me
:cute:

I did not do RZ, but I hung out on the rail in front of there on Saturday. I had almost perfect unobstructed views of both the e and main stages from there. And they were right in front of me on the catwalk. I also got to see the screens in all of their glory.

Yea, see that's not cool. That's exactly one of our major beefs with the line leaders... They let their friends jump into line who weren't there all day.

The line should work like this...

Step 1. Show up when the venue tells you to show up.

Step 2. Wait, leaving the line only to pee, poo or grab something to eat.

That's how a line works. Anything else is bullshit.

I sympathize with you, but in no way should your friend save a spot. If you can't get there at the same time, either he waits for you and then gets in line when you arrive, or you go in separately.

Yeah, I see what you're saying. And I've dealt with that in the past at just about any concert I do GA at. But on the other hand, I'm not showing up at 5 in the afternoon and getting in line. I'll still get there at like 10 am and wait all the rest of the day like everyone else.

Last edited:
I did not meet them. The ladies in front of us were very nice. They were from Saratoga and were only doing night one. We wound up on the e-stage rail with them. /coolstorybro

Not sure if you saw me. I was in a red t-shirt that said I'm Shipping Up to Boston.

Did you see Vik out in full force? :crack: :lol:

I met those people in from Atlanta. Super nice. I actually wrote from the line that I was "scared" of the loud line leader. I had also heard about Vik on hear. Upon further review, it was Vik I was referring to. I had to experience it myself to fully comprehend what you all have talked about here. YIKES.

I did not do RZ, but I hung out on the rail in front of there on Saturday. I had almost perfect unobstructed views of both the e and main stages from there. And they were right in front of me on the catwalk. I also got to see the screens in all of their glory.

I'm not going to be able to do writband tomorrow (well my guest actually), so this is a possibility for me, do you block any of the Red Zone folks' view whilst standing there?

I leaned on the RZ rail at about the center of the arena in Toronto and had great views. It was a tad annoying/distracting though with all the people moving back and forth every time the band would move to a different stage but other than that it was a great location. I'm just over 6 feet and didn't get any complaints from anyone behind me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom