All Purpose Pre-Show Lineup Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In Montreal - there were a maybe 3 ppl that camped out early the day before and created a list. We showed up the night before around 10:30p, got name on list and number on wrist(49 & 50) and were told to come back next morning around 6a as the area for the line up was literally a construction site. The crew would be back at 6a and then figure out where to keep the lineup.
Friday morning most people on the list returned to 'check in'. Around 8-9a stadium security came by and were fine with the line being 'self policed by fans' until Event security was to arrive at 2p. (even at 9a I would guess there was about 100-120ppl max. No need to camp out days ahead this tour).
Thus ppl were coming and going from the line up to eat or whatever until 2ish...at which time Event security said they would start handing out wristbands via wrist # around 5p. By that time they condensed the line up and everyone pretty much knew the people around them to find their spot and get wristband to enter around 6p. Very civil and organized - no problems at all.

Thx chyland but it's still this I'm wondering about on the second night...

...people were acting weird (due to some stuff that happened the first night)

You can't just leave this here without some explanation!

Just saying that whatever this is has to be some fan infighting bullshit (which is what this thread is about, really) in order to not hear the whole story. I'm with Miroslava, these lines have turned into a farce - starting days in advance, starting in a secret place, people doing little turns of 2-hours each while everyone else goes back to their hotel, it's crap. Get in the line and stay there. If you do that and are before everyone else, you are first. End of. No one should be showing up with some "list" telling you there's 150 people ahead of you.

I really hope the untold story was about what happened with that, or multiple lines, or some kind of shit that wrecked the plan of the people who do it all the time.

Never heard of nonsense like this outside the U.S and Canada. I went to one of the LA shows and people acted like they owned their spot on the floor and the surrounding area because they'd been in the magical queue, and dished out abuse to anyone that dared encroach. It was pathetic. The same people then spent most of the show filming on their phone and blocking the view of everyone else behind them. Dicks.

Line up on the day, your spot is where you're standing and that's it. If you move then too bad. It works for the rest of the world.

Never heard of nonsense like this outside the U.S and Canada. I went to one of the LA shows and people acted like they owned their spot on the floor and the surrounding area because they'd been in the magical queue, and dished out abuse to anyone that dared encroach. It was pathetic. The same people then spent most of the show filming on their phone and blocking the view of everyone else behind them. Dicks.

Line up on the day, your spot is where you're standing and that's it. If you move then too bad. It works for the rest of the world.

:up:

I'm not too impressed that the American fans who do this have come up and ruined our shows in Canada too. Really pisses me off.

Yep. I had the same experience in LA. This nasty blonde woman on the rail looked at us when we showed up to stand behind her and asked us ever so rudely what our numbers in line were. Then she had no interest in us, just the group of people she was with. A couple of her friends were friendly and one was even kind enough to tell us that they were starting the GA line that night after the show. I saw her in Denver after that, front of the line wouldn't you know?

Happens every tour..the "entitled few"
1st rule of U2 GA line is you don't talk about U2 GA line...
2nd rule of U2 GA line is YOU DON'T TALK about U2 GA line!
:wink:

I'm not too impressed that the American fans who do this have come up and ruined our shows in Canada too. Really pisses me off.

Well you can't just blame this on American fans. :huh:

In the LA GA a couple weeks ago, we were second or so from the rail at e stage. And a group of guys from another country (they told me where they were from and had traveled here for the LA show) spent the ENTIRE show making beer runs, back and forth, constantly... allowing new friends into their group, leaving the rail spot to chase Bono, then literally pushing and shoving their way back in front of us and squeezing like a sardine back into crevices to get their spot back. All the time feeling free to come and go with armfuls of beer which most of it ended up on us and the floor. Really it's not just an "American" thing.

It does amaze me how aggressive the men have been at the few shows (3 in LA ) I have attended this tour thus far. Hey I love men..but really I am 5'5" tall and over 50 years old and can wait all day in line with my younger friends..but when I get in and a 6'5" 250lb guy is in front of me and puts his arm up the entire time to take video and photos..well hey that just ruins it...or the next day when the 6'8" 280lb guy is behind me squishing me forward and putting his stinky armpits on my head to take his photos and videos....just makes me want to hang back from the melee!

Yeah it sucks but at some point it's not worth it and the rude people get their way. When "The Mountain" squeezed up next to me and actually used me as his leaning post it was time to watch from the back. :|

Well yeah, that's what I was thinking. Wasn't the very first line in Vancouver this tour started days before by French (European) fans? And from last tour, the whole Vik mess in Montreal...isn't he British? Hardly seems fair to blame it on US fans, even if other fans from other parts of the world pop up and say that this line nonsense would never happen in their countries.

For the record. I've been to every Toronto show for the past two tours, and have never seen any shifty line business. If you get there and sign in, be prepared to stay, other than bathroom and brief food breaks.

Honestly blaming any of these problems be it lines or rails can't be pinned on any one country, that's just silly. Unpleasant people come from everywhere to gather at U2 shows. :cute: :wink:

I think it's not necessarily blamed on the Americans, but it is odd that this only happens with US shows. And a few Canadian now as well. While in Europe and Australia, nobody takes this bullshit. Sucks for you guys though, hope eventually the general crowd will stop obeying the nazis. If nobody cares for the system, there is no more system.

As someone who will be at shows in October, what is the line procedure usually for European U2 shows?

My experience at European Springsteen shows have been quite similar to what people are complaining about here. People putting their name on a list the day before and spending more time sightseeing/at their hotel than actually standing in line.

This is fuckin ridiculous. Same bullshit Canadian attitude about hockey. Those shows aren't yours - they're for anyone who bought a ticket. And if you don't like the line set up, have some balls and cut instead of bitching about it.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I wonder if the reason this problem is worst in North America is because it's had a majority of shows (or at least a heavy concentration of them) over the last few tours? More opportunities for people to develop these sorts of systems.

As someone who will be at shows in October, what is the line procedure usually for European U2 shows?

My experience at European Springsteen shows have been quite similar to what people are complaining about here. People putting their name on a list the day before and spending more time sightseeing/at their hotel than actually standing in line.

Depending on where you are, there might be people holding a line. You get a marker and write your number and there have been the occasional lists but not many. When you get your number, you go to your place in line and STAY THERE. Sure you can get some food or take a piss, but if you're going to go sightseeing, your place is gone. You're gonna have to spend the day in line. If you don't like it? Your choice but don't expect to get front row.

I don't understand how the "line system" has mutated into something so horrific sounding.

I've been to multiple GA shows over the past three tours, all in Chicago, and they have all seemed to work the same way. The first people in line start the list. They have a notebook and a Sharpie (on the Elevation Tour they had playing cards and Magic The Gathering cards with numbers) and when you get there you check in with them. Meaning you give them your name, they write it in the notebook in the order you arrived then write the same number on your hand. Then you sit your ass down and stay there the entire day (or over night). Simple, right?

They would go around a few times during the day for a "line check". If people were missing for more than a few hours, they would be crossed off the list. You would think with cell phones/texting being so accessible these days, one could easily give them your name and phone number during check in. That way the "line nazis" could call or text the missing person and see where they are. This might get help ease some of the tension.

I have seen some people butting in a few times. They would get "booed" and then move to the end of the line. More times than not, they wound up being a few spots away from the rail. Which never bothered me.

I don't really care if I camp out over night for my spot, then someone comes along at 5pm the day of the show and winds up right beside me. I like the whole experience of camping out and meeting fellow U2 fans. U2 Tours only come along every few years. I say enjoy it as much as you can however you like.

:lol: Magic cards? Awesome!

I think where it went different is that the line nazis now decided they don't feel like sitting in line all day and actually get away with it... because people honor their bullshit system of going out and coming back at set times. If you're in the know, very convenient, if you're a random person lining up and suddenly get 200 people in front of you because you had no clue? Total utter bullshit.

I have no idea how this turned into a Canada vs US vs The World thing, and find it patently ridiculous.

Sent from my ass crack

I don't think it has. I just can't stand the sense of entitlement people have, thinking they own a show because it's in their country, and at the same time bitching about how the people in a GA line are entitled.

The bottom line is this: Rock shows are free-for-alls. There aren't any rules and there isn't any justice. All you can do is navigate the best you can, and then gripe about it on the Internet.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

:lol: Magic cards? Awesome!

I think where it went different is that the line nazis now decided they don't feel like sitting in line all day and actually get away with it... because people honor their bullshit system of going out and coming back at set times. If you're in the know, very convenient, if you're a random person lining up and suddenly get 200 people in front of you because you had no clue? Total utter bullshit.

Yep! I still have mine too. :lol:

Yeah, I don't know when or how that started but that is pretty low. That doesn't even make sense to do that.

This 3 day-in-advance-secret-list bullshit is 100% an American invention. That is a FACT, you guys. When it happens in Canada, it's the same Americans who come up to our shows.

I'm sorry you guys, not all Americans are assholes of course, but this shit started DOWN THERE during Elevation, it absolutely did.

The people who come from other countries are friends with them and learned the system from them.

In the LA GA a couple weeks ago, we were second or so from the rail at e stage. And a group of guys from another country (they told me where they were from and had traveled here for the LA show) spent the ENTIRE show making beer runs, back and forth, constantly... allowing new friends into their group, leaving the rail spot to chase Bono, then literally pushing and shoving their way back in front of us and squeezing like a sardine back into crevices to get their spot back. All the time feeling free to come and go with armfuls of beer which most of it ended up on us and the floor. Really it's not just an "American" thing.

I was talking about advance lists, not just general douchebaggery at shows - I know that has no borders... :lol:

For the record. I've been to every Toronto show for the past two tours, and have never seen any shifty line business. If you get there and sign in, be prepared to stay, other than bathroom and brief food breaks.

Uh, really? The fucking GA line for Toronto in 2011 started on Saturday (for the Tuesday show) by a bunch of people who were IN MONTREAL. There were two girls doing a documentary who had been there since Saturday legit, and then the 'Muricans showed up with their list and told them all the people on it were in front. They graciously 'allowed' the two of them to be 1&2, but believe me, if you weren't on that list and arrived at 4:30am the day of the show, you were at the back.

...thinking they own a show because it's in their country

I don't think I own anything, I just think it's super fucking dickish to start GA lines in other cities and have this massive 'system' to be first all the time, and then pull that shit outside of your own border, it pisses me right off. When U2 played in Winnipeg and Edmonton, there was none of this fucking garbage, people just legit lined up the AM of the show at some ungodly hour, and there was no one showing up with some fucking "list" from the night or days before. The reason? Americans don't come to Winnipeg and Edmonton, but they sure as SHIT take over the Toronto and Montreal shows with their line nazi bullshit.

It sucks that the groups I know who do this ARE American. Don't be all angry because I named the country they are from, it is what it is. There are lots of good Americans, but I suggest you show up at 5am the morning of the next show and see if someone started some line days before - I can guarantee that's what you'll see - particularly in Toronto, New York and Boston.

I can GUARANTEE that if Americans did this shit in Dublin or England or elsewhere in Europe, they'd be told to get fucked - I can't wait for this to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom