Album 13 Talk: Insert cori .gif Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Each time Coldplay get a song into the BB Hot 30, U2 suffer a massive crisis of confidence in their own stuff. Ergo, three crises in the last month alone. No wonder they're drowning their sorrows in exotic locales. (I wish I were joking, but fear this is uncomfortably close to what they're thinking).

I agree. There was a rumor on a Coldplay forum that they weren't going to release their album until fall to avoid competing with U2 in the spring. At some point something changed. Either U2 delayed their album back so Coldplay went ahead and pushed theirs on through, or Coldplay decided to release their album in May anyway and U2 got scared and retreated. My guess is the first scenario. I think, as do many, that the Super Bowl/Invisble/Fallon/Oscars was supposed to be part of a bigger campaign to launch the new U2 album.

I guess everybody just enjoy your summer, and if by it's end we know nothing, then a fall release is off the table.

Over at another forum, Fisher is at it again......

Another source close to the action says the band decided, following release of Invisible, that the album material recorded to date was "overcooked" and they are now in the process of stripping it back. The source, who has been around the band since the start, is wryly amused by it all - doesn't think the band spin is necessarily reliable (which I interpreted as meaning the band have fewer finished songs than Edge has suggested). A different source says the band members were rattled by the Oscar outcome, having fully expected to bag the award. They were especially irked at losing out to Frozen - they wouldn't have minded losing to Pharrell Williams but were annoyed at losing to a kids' film given that Ordinary Love dealt with - wait for it - "adult themes". Source in movie industry tells me U2 never had a hope of getting an Oscar for Ordinary Love because (a) it was not integral to the film, unlike Let It Go in Frozen; (b) it was late and tacked on to the film; and (c) "it wasn't very good".

Yeah, someone in U2 directly said they wanted to make sure the songs weren't too overindulgent and could easily be played live.. That they learn important aspects about songs when playing them live on tour, and wanted to learn and implement those things before the tour, on the album itself, this time around. Bono himself was warning many interviewers ahead of time that OL wasn't a shoe in to win, and that an 'animated character' might accept the award. I doubt they were shocked or rattled about not winning. I suspect, rather, they may have reappraised some of the work after playing invisible and OL live a few times.

Fisher's source' is just him reading message boards, interviews, and regular band news and stitching it all together in an eloquent fashion and claiming inside knowledge to gain respect back on those message boards.

Like your thots, JOFO :up:

As for me I'll just keep :zen: :zen: ing along....
Listening to their recodings, listening to their Live Concerts on YT that I've never heard :hyper:...
.... listening to my other fav performers, and new music via WFUV Fordam Univ NYC (where U2 debuted NLOTH songs Live! for the Today Show).....

....... oh, and yeaaaah, drooliong over photos/vids of Bono, Edge, and Bono & Edge. And Esp-ecially in honor of yet another rendition of "desire" Lucky enough to have caught the Full Electric version when they transitioned from "She's The One" to "Desire" in honor of Bruce's B-D on the 360 tour in NJ. :applaud:

yes every once in a while I'm entitled to have a pleba moment here! Mwwahahaha :evil:
Hiiiiii, CK! :wave:
:lol:

:wink: :D

It never ceases to amaze me that Coldplay is discussed around here as if they're some perceived threat to U2. Coldplay is not the worst band in the world, they even have a few pleasant tunes you can fall asleep to, but come on...in the grand scheme of things they're fucking silly! They're a fucking silly silly band!

"2014 U2"'s biggest threat is "1980-2004 U2." The time in which they mostly mattered. They can't accept NOT being that band with that level of success. They're afraid of living in their own shadows. In the shadows. Boy meets Man. Holy shit that's it! NEXT ALBUM: MAN...a U2 cover album by U2...every song off Boy!!! Stories for Men!!!

The oscar theroy is bull in my opinion, u2 knew and clearly said before that they wasnt going to win, they knew it so why would there be a reaction when they didnt win??

Your never going to beat disney a movie empire at a movie awards, not even u2!

Another source close to the action says the band decided, following release of Invisible, that the album material recorded to date was "overcooked" and they are now in the process of stripping it back. The source, who has been around the band since the start, is wryly amused by it all - doesn't think the band spin is necessarily reliable (which I interpreted as meaning the band have fewer finished songs than Edge has suggested). A different source says the band members were rattled by the Oscar outcome, having fully expected to bag the award. They were especially irked at losing out to Frozen - they wouldn't have minded losing to Pharrell Williams but were annoyed at losing to a kids' film given that Ordinary Love dealt with - wait for it - "adult themes". Source in movie industry tells me U2 never had a hope of getting an Oscar for Ordinary Love because (a) it was not integral to the film, unlike Let It Go in Frozen; (b) it was late and tacked on to the film; and (c) "it wasn't very good".

At least Fisher's earlier "revelations" were a somewhat entertaining read. This is run-of-the-mill fanfic. Must try harder. C-

This may be of interest. Found this tweet posted 9 hours ago. Not sure how to embed it on here sorry.

ForBassPlayersOnly @FBPO
Follow
Adam Clayton speaks on @U2 tour and new album release date. Story on the #FBPO homepage.

http://forbassplayersonly.com

Interesting that when I go the homepage it hasn't been updated to include this article or other new ones this guy has tweeted about. Might be worth keeping an eye on.

Are you a bass player? If not, maybe that's why you can't get onto the article. :wink:

Actually I AM :)

Wonder if this will be anything new and not recycled tidbits.

I can guarantee that Adam is full of:

tumblr_mcyjroDkWU1rn2vc5.gif

This may be of interest. Found this tweet posted 9 hours ago. Not sure how to embed it on here sorry.

ForBassPlayersOnly @FBPO
Follow
Adam Clayton speaks on @U2 tour and new album release date. Story on the #FBPO homepage.

http://forbassplayersonly.com

Interesting that when I go the homepage it hasn't been updated to include this article or other new ones this guy has tweeted about. Might be worth keeping an eye on.

Apparently bass players are shitty web designers

The guys are partying in mexico. I hope they get drunk and leak the album.

:lol: Oh how I wish.

First Larry smiles in a photo and now he's acting friendly and cool....
WHAT'S HAPPENED????

:lol:

Well, Larry's been seen in Malibu, and they (no Adam) just played Desire together in Mexico.

Until there's no official delay, they're on track for 2014 release.

Bono & Edge partying = no big deal.
Larry partying = cause for celebration. :lol:

I'll just apologize in advance for Adam's absence in Mexico. :shifty: :wink:
I know, I know...save it for PLEBA. :whistle:

They were playing Desire in Mexico without a bass player?
Bono and Edge did an acoustic Desire many times during PopMart. Including on the dvd where B infamously forgot fucked up the lyrics and sang La Bamba. :lol::lol:

According to that report, Larry was the first to start jamming on the drums. Bono and Edge turned it into Desire after joining him.

ForBassPlayersOnly @FBPO
Follow

For Bass Players Only

If Adam is the one to actually announce the album release date I will be one happy happy kitten. :drool: :faint:

A fucking bass magazine ain't gonna be the one to have the scoop.:|

And I play bass.

Source in movie industry tells me U2 never had a hope of getting an Oscar for Ordinary Love because (a) it was not integral to the film, unlike Let It Go in Frozen; (b) it was late and tacked on to the film; and (c) "it wasn't very good".

Indeed, a while back I was saying precisely what the enigmatic and mysterious Messr. Fisher's Hollywood source was saying about OL v. Frozen:

I kind of don't think these pop songs that are tacked on to the end credits of a film should be eligible. I'd rather see songs nominated that were actually sung as part of the story of the film...or at a minimum, something that was played during the film itself that made an artistic contribution to the story. "Let it Go" plays a crucial role in Frozen and is a big part of the story. Other than U2 saying the song is about Mandela (a dubious claim IMO) the song contributes absolutely nothing to that movie, and in fact the movie would play exactly the same (but for the credits) without the song. So how does that add to the film at all? I don't know, that's kind of lame to me, and not fair to the artists who actually worked at making a piece of music that was part of a film's story and contributed to the final on-screen product in a meaningful away.

Also, the claims here now that "everyone knew" Frozen would beat OL at the Oscars are easily belied by a brief glance back at that discussion here, where there were many predications of an OL win (this is about the time people were guaranteeing an album announcement on the Fallon show).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom