Setlists for a hypothetical late 2019 tour of Australia, NZ, Asia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Vegas ? Well it's the final step into dinosaur/legacy act after this JT30 rehashing...

there's nothing wrong with doing a vegas residency, these days the stigma of it being something only the old and washed-up do is long gone. even just waiting for your bags at mccarran airport will make it obvious that a whole lot of current popular acts are doing them and making truckloads of money. it's actually probably a really good idea for the band to do one at some point in the next few years.

having landed on the page ahead first and seeing Vegas mentioned - what you just said similar thoughts flashed through my mind: like, yeah, it's not a "stigma" for R&R'rs etc anymore, not like it was when I was in my teen"s and 20's etc.

And yet you’re still ignoring the other reasons it’s unlikely that U2 would do this that have nothing to do with issues of credibility.

Because I'm not arguing that u2 would do this you silly goose. I'm only arguing that the idea of any musical act doing a Vegas residency today being...

the final step into dinosaur/legacy act...

... Is a grossly outdated line of thought that does not reflect the reality of what that city has become, nor the reality of the music industry today vs 20+ years ago.

If u2 ever does a residency, which I don't think they'll ever do, but if they did it would be in Ireland.

I'd still like to see them doing a short residency somewhere (Dublin would be obvious choice) maybe doing a complete album or two each night, in order, with stories behind the songs. Record and release each night and you have a nice record of their recorded output.

Make local musicians cover the songs they don’t want to/can’t play. Like Elvis Presley and America [emoji23]

To take this and kinda run with it, it would also be cool for U2 to do residencies in just a handful of cities around the world and with opening acts based on relative geography or whatever. Based on the night(s), the openers would range from local bands (as mentioned) all the way to contemporaries/friends/"followers" - with collaboration being part of U2's set.

Like, Pearl Jam opens a show or four in New York, and then come out to "help" U2 with a few songs. Ideally, on the rare side.

It would basically act as a farewell-run-of-residencies length version of when The Police handed their instruments to the boys at the end of Conspiracy of Hope.

Obviously, the final show of the final residency would see Eno, Lanois, Guggi and a handful of other close collaborators on stage helping U2 perform Original Soundtracks 1 in full.

Yeah, that one threw me as well. I've never heard Pearl Jam associated with New York before. After Seattle, there's a Chicago connection because Eddie is from there and is a big Cubs fan but...that's about it.

Maybe R.E.M. could open up for U2 in Atlanta, Germany.

1roo.gif

Pearl Jam... New York... local bands... hmmm....

Maybe try Seattle?

Yeah, that one threw me as well. I've never heard Pearl Jam associated with New York before. After Seattle, there's a Chicago connection because Eddie is from there and is a big Cubs fan but...that's about it.

Maybe R.E.M. could open up for U2 in Atlanta, Germany.

opening acts based on relative geography

Dudes, duh, I know. I was trying to present my hypothetical without losing the plot too much. I doubt Seattle would be a residence-worthy city, so I was pairing a band from the US with a US-based residency city. Apologies if I wasn't clear.

“Relative geography” would imply like, regionally related at least? Not “let me pick some other random band from this giant country with extremely diverse demographics”.

Also, New York isn’t exactly some armpit with no hometown bands of note.

Anyone looked at the map for Auckland 2 ? I wouldn’t even say it’s half full , thousands left. Gonna a tough one to sell that one

Bet they wish they never added that second date

That 2nd Auckland show will have to slash prices in a major way to get a halfway acceptable crowd there. This will definitely be one where sections are blocked off and people are relocated.

I’m guessing that’s what they were afraid would happen to the 2nd Melbourne show.

I would say it serves them right for charging that ridiculous prices, they deserve to play to half full stadiums. But the only people who will suffer are the Australian/NZ fans, because they won’t be in a big hurry to come back. If these were Vertigo tour prices, we’d be talking about Vertigo tour-like sellouts.

I would say it serves them right for charging that ridiculous prices, they deserve to play to half full stadiums. But the only people who will suffer are the Australian/NZ fans, because they won’t be in a big hurry to come back. If these were Vertigo tour prices, we’d be talking about Vertigo tour-like sellouts.

There is a pattern isn’t there since u2 started charging loads for seats in stadiums even the Auckland 2 show is the same. The seats at the back are sold , the cheapest seats all sell quickly and if there’s any show that hasn’t sold out it’s always the most expensive left. Which does tell you something

The others shows on the tour will either be sold out or full enough you won’t notice any empty seats

But Auckland 2 is totally different

I can see them closing off the whole stand looking at the stage or the whole upper tier around the stadium , filling just the lower tiers

Last edited:
Was thinking again today about the possibilities of any changes in the encore... no doubt in a stadium they will keep the safe bets of Bday, Vertigo, Elevation, One. So the options to swap out would be Miss Syria and Ultraviolet. Both songs have a 'political message' associated with them in this presentation. So I was pondering, now 2yrs later, is there any other new political statement they would want to highlight? Refugees have been addressed since back in the 2015 innocence shows. Women's rights seems to still be a hot button issue in the world at large (and largely a focus of ONE) so I could see them sticking with this too. But are there any different songs they could use keeping these same messages?
OR will they drop the idea of 'political messaging' and instead decide to use those 2 song spots to highlight SOE instead? Blackout, Love is Bigger, Best Thing (full band like 2017), Little Things could be contenders.

Realistically, I'm only hoping for maybe 2 songs different from what we saw in 2017. And id be very happy if they ADDED 2 song spots and played 24ish intead of 22ish just cuz they know it's rare for them to play this part of world. Acknowledging that, and doing a little something special like Kite, Saints, Windows in 2006 would be a delight.
On a personal note, id be estatic if they surprise ended the shows with Out of Control instead of IWF. (Or else, add OOC into the opening section of early 80's highlights)

I’m hoping for a more themed show, a longer run in and run out.

The 2017 shows were sandwiched between innocence and experience tours, but it is all fresh over here. I’d like to see them lead in with 6 or so older songs and one or two from SOI, then play the Joshua Tree. Then have 7-10 songs being a blend of 90s, 00s and SOE. Could work something like:

1. OOC
2. IWF
3. EBW full band
4. SBS
5. NYD
6. Pride
7. Bad

8-18 The Joshua Tree

19. EBTTRT
20. The Blackout
21. Elevation
22. Beautiful Day
23. Vertigo
24. Wild Horses
25. One
26. Love is Bigger

I think Love is Bigger will be the only song from SoE that will be played. Everything else more or less the same as 2017.

Not to reignite a previous argument here, but I feel they should play at least two R&H songs in Australia every show based on how popular that album was here. On a personal level All I Want is You is my white whale. Whatever they play, I really hope they stretch it to 24 songs a night rather than the 21-22 songs they played in 2017 which felt a tad short.

1. They must open with IWF or OOC.

2. They must close with 40.

3. Bad must not appear until later in the show.

Everything else is debatable, but these 3 points are make-or-break.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom