4th Single from NLOTH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you have money riding on this or something?

What chance? The chance that the radio won't play a 7:00 minute U2 song. The chance that it will fail to even make the top 75.
No.

Well I don't think the fourth single will do anything but you never know...

I suspect they will release MOS but as a single edit the chops about 1.5 minutes (one of the verses and part of the instrumental). Fans would hate it but it would likely get radio play (at least here in Canada). Even if they do not chop it (which would be my preference), I think it would still get some airplay on Alternative/Rock Radio here. However, I can't see any version of it being a hit on any chart that is based on sales given that it would be the fourth single from one of the best selling CD's of the year.

Do you have money riding on this or something?

What chance? The chance that the radio won't play a 7:00 minute U2 song. The chance that it will fail to even make the top 75.

Do you understand how badly the singles from the album have flopped??? The radio has rejected any U2 singles that sound like they could have been on the last 2 albums. Breathe or SUC would do no better than Magnificent or GOYB did. MOS? Well, that is something different, something they maybe don't expect.... It's the only chance they have really to get any radio play from NLOTH's 4th single at this point....

And does no one remember that the same strategy worked great with All I Want is You? Super-long song, quiet song, 4th single and now a song everyone in the world knows.... More popular than Angel of Harlem or When Love Comes to Town, and probably even than Desire....

Do you understand how badly the singles from the album have flopped??? The radio has rejected any U2 singles that sound like they could have been on the last 2 albums. Breathe or SUC would do no better than Magnificent or GOYB did. MOS? Well, that is something different, something they maybe don't expect.... It's the only chance they have really to get any radio play from NLOTH's 4th single at this point....

And does no one remember that the same strategy worked great with All I Want is You? Super-long song, quiet song, 4th single and now a song everyone in the world knows.... More popular than Angel of Harlem or When Love Comes to Town, and probably even than Desire....

I get what you're saying Niceman, but All I want is you may have been unusual for U2 but it's still a very radio friendly song, I don't mean that in a bad way, it's one of my faves, and don't forget they cut the gorgeous strings from the single version. MOS is a great song, and maybe it could be a hit single, but I really can't see it.

I think AIWIY gets a free ticket here too because it was also a LOVE song (and a good one at that). That alone gives it an extra boost in popularity.

That's just gorgeous.

It is that.

Yeah, the 7" is a gatefold. The collectors box is quite full with just the three singles in it.

I still think we will see either Breathe or Stand Up Comedy. MOS would be great, but I just don't see U2 taking a chance on it.

Wow. I really wish mine would get here. I was surprised when I got the cd and the sleeve was so nice, I never figured they'd give the vinyl single the same treatment.

AIWIY is popular, I guess because it's the same type of a slow love song that U2 do well (disagree that it's a bigger hit than Desire). Though radio used to play longer songs then...

That said, NLOTH is already showing another example of a non-first single doing well/better than the lead single in Crazy. I think they could try it with their funk attempt with SUC; could get airplay in the States. In terms of catchy - Breathe ftw.

Actually, Crazy Tonight is quite a big song here. The radio station I listen to loves it and plays it at least once a day!

I still think Breathe would be perfect for the last single.

An album sleeve that opens up booklike. Usually used for double albums but not always. Here's a pic of my POP gatefold 2 disc vinyl. :drool:

POPgatefold-1.jpg

:drool: :envy: One of the two 90s albums I have yet to find on vinyl. Damn you elusive Pop and Zooropa! :fistshakes:

Oy, that's Edge holding the mirrorball Les Paul inside isn't it? :ohmy:

AIWIY isn't as awful as Desire, to that probably helped it compete with Desire.

They should have done the risky first-single route, like they did with WOWY and The Fly, but they went with Boots instead. I like Boots, but most people can't (don't want to) see any further into it then Vertigo, so they just saw a bunch of 48-year-olds doing the same things they were doing five years ago, yawned, and went back to Taylor Swift. The unfortunate thing is that Boots is a much, much better/deeper song than Vertigo, but it isn't as immediately-weird-sounding as MOS or UC or F-BB.

:drool: :envy: One of the two 90s albums I have yet to find on vinyl. Damn you elusive Pop and Zooropa! :fistshakes:

Oy, that's Edge holding the mirrorball Les Paul inside isn't it? :ohmy:

It is. The big colorful shiny pictures on all the sleeves are pretty :love:
I ought to take pictures of it all :hmm:

I'm all for releasing MOS as the 4th single, no edit. It is a beautiful masterpiece. However, I don't expect it to get much airplay in that form in the US due to the length but you never know. As has been pointed out, AIWIY is a great example of a song bucking the industry song length standard.

At 7:30, MOS would simply take up two song slots instead of one. For some radio stations this would be a real problem but for others it's not a big deal. It is also possible that some stations would simply make their own radio edit of the song by hacking it down under 5 minutes. I don't think that would do the song much justice, however.

i just wish radio stations would play what they wanted to, like the old days, not what some nationwide corporate playlist some asshole douchebag company like citadel or clear channel dictates to them. Way to go radio, you've gone the way of mtv, straight to hell. Not that the sheep that listen to commercial radio are smart enough to know the difference or care anyway. I know people who like Nickelback because thats what they hear on the radio. Here i go on another one of my rants, so maybe i should just stop. Fuck radio! Release Moment of Surrender and fuck radio! If people had taste they would give it a second look because of what it is, not because they heard it on some bullshit station between tweenybop and calculated douchetastic pop rawk or american idull.

Do you understand how badly the singles from the album have flopped??? The radio has rejected any U2 singles that sound like they could have been on the last 2 albums. Breathe or SUC would do no better than Magnificent or GOYB did.

Crazy Tonight has performed respectably on a number of radio formats in the US.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see MOS as the fourth single. I just think that there's a risk that the radio won't play it and it will fail to chart at all.

MOS is more like Bad or Kite in my mind, great songs all, but not as radio friendly as AIWIY.

Crazy Tonight has performed respectably on a number of radio formats in the US.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see MOS as the fourth single. I just think that there's a risk that the radio won't play it and it will fail to chart at all.

MOS is more like Bad or Kite in my mind, great songs all, but not as radio friendly as AIWIY.

How do you qualify "respectably"? It isn't the size of a hit U2 want to have, unless I've missed something....

I guess my point comes down to U2 needing to surprise. SUC and Breathe are great songs, but I don't think they would surprise anyone....

You know what? After watching Breathe and Moment of Surrender on SNL tonight I'm going to go ahead and say it...... I predict that they will be the fourth and FIFTH singles!!!
:ohmy:

Yes, I know the little box said there would be 4, but assuming SOA isn't coming out in 2009, there's no reason to not have 5 and we know the band really want everyone to get into both of these songs. I think we will end up having 5 NLOTH singles and MOS and Breathe will be the final 2!

You know what? After watching Breathe and Moment of Surrender on SNL tonight I'm going to go ahead and say it...... I predict that they will be the fourth and FIFTH singles!!!

Yes, I know the little box said there would be 4, but assuming SOA isn't coming out in 2009, there's no reason to not have 5 and we know the band really want everyone to get into both of these songs. I think we will end up having 5 NLOTH singles and MOS and Breathe will be the final 2!

I very much doubt there will be five singles. There have been loads of songs off U2 albums that U2 played loads but were never singles - Bullet the blue sky, the electric co, bad, until the end of the world, 40, and even in some countries, sunday bloody sunday. I believe that Moment of surrender will be one of these.

Besides, if there was a 5th single, it certainly wouldn't chart. The 4th single even has a slim chance of charting as it is.

I know they have released 5 singles before (off of AB and Pop), but I'm not sure this will happen ever again.

Of course, I could be wrong :hmm:

Perhaps one of these two songs will end up like OOTS. It was sort of the fifth single from HTDAAB. There was a single version sent to radio, a promo video, and then a digital single on iTunes, but no commercial single.

Still, if they are going to release MOS they need to release it as is, not chop it up, which negates the need for a digital single as people can just download the album version if they don't already have it.

I had this thought, too... I'd prefer MOS before Breathe, if they do that.

U2 has done 5 (or 6!) singles before for many albums...... it really isn't an out of the question suggestion....

The only reasons to expect them to stop at 4 would be #1 The box said so. (No reason at all!) and #2 If they want to get Every Breaking Wave out by Christmas (Which I don't think they're doing at this point.)

So, I'm betting on 5! MOS as #4, Breathe as #5.

But the singles have already charted so badly. The fifth will just totally flop (the fourth too probably).

Back
Top Bottom