2012 AFL Thread V - Planning Our End of Season Trip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bitterly disappointed for LeCras, but just makes me a little more hopeful that we'll fight back hard in the mid and later parts of the season. Let's hope the first few weeks aren't completely terrible.

An Essendumb Speciality

Wow you're a funny man. Fuck off. How about your stupid fucking team, can't win a premiership for decades. POORMOND.

sorry I'm drunk but I'm sick of your bad aggressive attitude towards random teams, especially since it's just so inexplicable. Nobody picks on you and your mob but you come in here with a chip on your shoulder about all kinds of random footy shit, and although I think you're a pretty good guy you need to fucking get over a handful of things. I know I'm probs just going at this because it's about my team, but honestly I'd go at it if it were about St Kilda too, who you love irrationally bagging out, or really any team other than Carlton or Collingwood (who really are scum and I needn't justify myself here).

Wow you're a funny man. Fuck off. How about your stupid fucking team, can't win a premiership for decades. POORMOND.

sorry I'm drunk but I'm sick of your bad aggressive attitude towards random teams, especially since it's just so inexplicable. Nobody picks on you and your mob but you come in here with a chip on your shoulder about all kinds of random footy shit, and although I think you're a pretty good guy you need to fucking get over a handful of things. I know I'm probs just going at this because it's about my team, but honestly I'd go at it if it were about St Kilda too, who you love irrationally bagging out, or really any team other than Carlton or Collingwood (who really are scum and I needn't justify myself here).

You've been calling Richmond "Poormond" for the best part of 5 years!

You just embodied the attribute of many Essendon supporters that I find most atypical and irritable of all - that they should be immune to any sort of criticism, questioning or mockery. That's an Essendon trait, more ugly and real than the "feral" myth generalised about Collingwood fans (which is judging people on their socioeconomic status)

Just look at the untouchability of Hird, Sheedy and Fletcher when it comes to any sort of criticism of their sacred selves - never happens, the media protects them.

What the fuck Brisbane?

You've been calling Richmond "Poormond" for the best part of 5 years!

You just embodied the attribute of many Essendon supporters that I find most atypical and irritable of all - that they should be immune to any sort of criticism, questioning or mockery. That's an Essendon trait, more ugly and real than the "feral" myth generalised about Collingwood fans (which is judging people on their socioeconomic status)

Just look at the untouchability of Hird, Sheedy and Fletcher when it comes to any sort of criticism of their sacred selves - never happens, the media protects them.

That's an affectionate joke about my second team; bit different.

See my comment re: St Kilda which invalidates the rest of your post. I'm sober now but I stand behind my drunken rant; you just have a chip on your shoulder. Get over it. Especially the bizarre media conspiracy theory. Anyway, hard to call a team April premiers when they have the equal most premierships. Aren't you glad some of our good early seasons haven't gone on to become even more premierships? :wink:

From what I've observed, Richmond is the Victorian side most people can stand. No reason for their fans to dish out hate.

Did anyone see the Doggies/Brissie game? I'm very curious if the Dogs were better than expected, or if Brisbane blew their load too early in the preseason and played like shit.

In a surprise to nobody, GWS is off to a shithouse start against Sydney.

Go the Doggies.

I was down at Werribee today watching Port Melbourne host a home game against Werribee at Werribee's home ground (figure that one out) and get absolutely belted. Love that footy season is back.

What the fuck Brisbane?

That's an affectionate joke about my second team; bit different.

See my comment re: St Kilda which invalidates the rest of your post. I'm sober now but I stand behind my drunken rant; you just have a chip on your shoulder. Get over it. Especially the bizarre media conspiracy theory. Anyway, hard to call a team April premiers when they have the equal most premierships. Aren't you glad some of our good early seasons haven't gone on to become even more premierships? :wink:

And I stand by what I say. Essendon have been April Premiers for the past two seasons... And faded to become rubbish in the second half of the season - that's what happened and as I don't like Essendon (like you don't like other teams) i'll lap it up and bag the club because of it - that is called banter, and to react in the way you did i think is overly sensitive (but typical of many Essendon fans that I know - they can dish it out, but can't receive).

You don't see me getting all hung up when people mock us about our tendency to finish ninth or not winning a flag in overly 30 years. I don't care, it's banter. We have distasteful elements (irrational optimism, loudness - there may be others but I'm blind to them as a fan) about our general supporting culture - i'll defend it because it I don't believe them to be as ugly as that of three other clubs.

You'll find there are only three teams that I love to hate - St Kilda, Melbourne and Essendon. Why don't I like these clubs and enjoy their struggles? ...because of some distasteful elements of their supporting culture amongst many of their fans and from experiences at about 100 attended games of football. Namely, a sense of entitlement and outright superiority (Essendon), ignorance of the game ( StK), self-pity (StK/Melb) and fairweather-ness (Melbourne/StK). Note these do not apply to all supporters of these clubs, but are irritating general tendencies I have noticed in 20 years of following the game as a spectator.

At the start of the season, I tipped Footscray for the Wooden Spoon, may have to revise that... Thought such a scoreline would be in Brisbane's favour.

I don't really want to prolong this any further, but to be fair I've noticed many traits in many supporters of all clubs. I don't think such generalisations apply in 2013. I know just as many upstanding Collingwood supporters as I know feral supporters of any other club.

Although having said that, JESUS H. CHRIST nearly all the Essendon supporters I know were fucking unbearable when Hird came on board. Plus half Essendon's coaching staff are Geelong alumni. So I'd be lying if I said I wasn't glad that the Bombers haven't tasted success yet.

I'm with Cobbler in not wanting to prolong things much further, but I think inte is missing the key point here: this has less to do with the fact he had a go at "my" team, and much more to do with his attitude. We've all slagged off heaps of teams in these threads over the years, but inte, it's your particular vehemence and irrationality that bothers me. You're unwilling to see good sides, you're unwilling to give credit when it's due, and your jibes sometimes seem to have nothing to do with reality at all, but are based on grudges. You don't see me ripping into anybody else (OK, I think I once had a go at Cobbler), and both of the clubs I really care about - Essendon and Richmond - have been the subject of lots of banter. And like I said, it's really not because of my club; I've remarked before that your view of St Kilda baffles me. Anyway, I didn't mean to have too much of a go at you. I just don't get why the start of this season has had a surprising amount of bitterness already, especially when I for one am just damn glad footy's back, and I happened to latch onto your post.

As for the Collingwood fan thing, I've said before that although I've seen or encountered plenty of feral Collingwood supporters around town, all the people I actually know who barrack for them are wonderful people.

If anybody has any right to have a go at this thread for negativity - and at me specifically, let me make clear my own hypocrisy from the start - then it's Shepp Daniel. Yet he's always taken Collingwood banter in far better humour than anyone should really expect, and I think that's proof of what a great guy he is.

Huh, near the end of the third quarter and GWS has at least managed to make the margin against Sydney look somewhat respectable.

Don't know where you imagine this negativity and irrationality coming from?

Have a look back and I've given due credit to plenty of sides (including an Essendon player).

I'll admit I unleashed a lot of negativity about the Knob Cup but it is a rubbish competition that most footy fans agree should be done away with.

I have honestly little optimism for Essendon in terms of 2013 premiership prospects (i didn't see the Adelaide match, but rated the lists of North, Richmond, Carlton and Brisbane above them) - you must still be referring to my preference for an Essendon-less premiership season, over a premiership season where a club plays week in week out for no premiership points - which is surely a positive outcome?

Oh the NAB Cup deserves the vitriol, I'm right with you there. Fuck me, what a waste of a few weeks that could be spent on more meaningful footy.

And yes I was partly thinking of that, which really did seem to be a comment made out of spite at the time. But let's put this aside shall we? I don't think ill of you or anything.

Tonight's game ... anybody expect anything from the Gold Coast? You've got to think they need to fucking start performing soon and stop being a minnow, but all signs point to a demolition.

We'll see if this Jaeger O'Meara justifies the hype at least.

I actually tipped Gold Coast - not sure what to make of StK this season.

Swans have looked thoroughly unconvincing over Wests.

Interesting comparison between round 1 last year and this year:

2012: Sydney 100-33 GWS
2013: Sydney 106-76 GWS

So not a bad start for the Giants at all. If they can hold their own against the reigning premier, it'll be interesting to see if they can do well against some of the minnows. Would be nice if they can actually get five or six wins this year.

Well, nice little lead by the Gold Coast at the end of the first quarter! Wonder if they can keep it up. Even though I picked St Kilda and my tips are already in the shit, I kind of want the Suns to win.

Hooooly shit what a result! Especially after such a rubbish second quarter by the Suns. St Kilda fell apart in the second half and Ablett was just amazing.

I actually tipped Gold Coast

You called it! Despite my Saints tip I was totally barracking for the Suns in the final quarter. That was very exciting.

Wish I'd watched the game last night. And whilst moving out of home is great holy shit I miss fox footy.

Pathetic stuff from Melbourne today.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom