2010 Leg Announcement on u2.com now - TOUR DATES - Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are three different stages but only one screen. They need I think 3 days between shows to fully install the screen.

Well, you do realize U2 already did the following this past August:

Glasgow August 18
Sheffield August 20
Cardiff August 22

Given that, why would they not be able to do this?

Philadelphia July 12
Baltimore July 14
Montreal July 16

I don't think there are even any SLC rumors going around. That list is just what someone came up with as possible dates to fill in the holes in the tour schedule.

Are there any rumors left out there? Aside from the 5 day gap from June 7 to 12 and a couple of 4 day gaps, it kinda feels like this is it.

Outside chance at some second shows perhaps, but another US city seems really unlikely at this point.

What does everyone else think?

Are there any rumors left out there? Aside from the 5 day gap from June 7 to 12 and a couple of 4 day gaps, it kinda feels like this is it.

Outside chance at some second shows perhaps, but another US city seems really unlikely at this point.

It seems like there will be one more U.S. city. SLC seems to be the consensus, but I don't think there is much of anything to back that up. The obvious gap after Anaheim could easily be SLC, Eugene/Portland, St. Louis or KC.

I vote for Las Vegas again, but I couldn't even attend it, so I should probably focus on the shows I am going to.

It seems like there will be one more U.S. city. SLC seems to be the consensus,
I wouldn't say that.

I'd rather see them hit somewhere more southern again, be it New Orleans or San Antonio or Austin.

I really hope there's still a chance for St Louis or Ohio.

That said, it really wouldn't shock me if we're looking at the complete schedule right now. It's possible they won't add any more shows.

Is there a source for this rumored date? I currently have a pair of GA tickets for Seattle, but would much rather watch them in SLC.

Michael

There is no source. Its just a logical conclusion based on the time they have and the fact that the Salt Lake City market could probably sell 50,000 tickets for them unlike many other markets.

Again, I think the only real possibilities for another city are Salt Lake City and Baltimore. Its definitely not too late at all with all of this being 7 or 8 months from now. They could announce and put shows on sale for Salt Lake City and Baltimore as late as March 2010.

Also, although its not officially announced, Mexico City will kick off the tour in 2010.

The obvious gap after Anaheim could easily be SLC, Eugene/Portland, St. Louis or KC.

Eugene, Portland don't have enough demand in those markets to sell 50,000+ tickets, especially with the big show in Seattle already pushing people in Oregon towards that show. St. Louis lost its chance for a show when the third Chicago date was announced. St. Louis by the way was the worst seller on the Vertigo Tour in the United States. It took 4 months to sellout a 20,000 seat arena. KC was not visited on the Vertigo tour because the Elevation show there only attracted about 15,000 people. The POPMART show there only did 23,000 people.

In contrast to these other markets, Salt Lake City has always been a strong seller and has always brought U2 a sellout. It was one of the few shows to sellout on the POPMART tour and arena shows there quickly soldout as well. Also, the near sellout of Denver in just a few days also increases the likely hood of a Salt Lake City show.

In contrast to these other markets, Salt Lake City has always been a strong seller and has always brought U2 a sellout. It was one of the few shows to sellout on the POPMART tour and arena shows there quickly soldout as well. Also, the near sellout of Denver in just a few days also increases the likely hood of a Salt Lake City show.

The stadium (assuming it would be at Rice-Eccles) has been redone since PopMart, so it would also be a great venue for a show.

Michael

Well, a little more to the point here, look at what they did in the UK in August 2009:

Glasgow August 18
Sheffield August 20
Cardiff August 22

Yeah, but the island of Great Britain is relatively small, and they weren't crossing any international borders.

Yeah, but the island of Great Britain is relatively small, and they weren't crossing any international borders.

How about these examples then?

2009-07-18, Berlin
2009-07-20, Amsterdam

2009-08-01, Gothenburg
2009-08-03, Gelsenkirchen

Neither involves three cities in five days, but it shows that they can have just one rest day between shows and get across an international border.

I thought in Western Europe there are no formal borders with customs searches, unlike the US/Canada border where they check passports and search vehicles, (with traffic backups) etc.

Yeah, I'd love to hear the reasoning for that Qwest Field layout as well. There are fewer seats (and those are bleacher seats) in that tiny triangle end - surely it would make more sense to have less seats behind the stage, if they have that option?

Would it have anything to do with the band getting to the stage? Maybe it's because that small end of the stadium is basically the "front door" of Qwest Field and there's nowhere for the band to enter from, or for other behind-the-scenes reasons.

Sunset and stage placement could be an issue. Or it could just rain all day.

Well the distances involved here are not that great in either case. Plus, crossing the Canadian border is not like crossing from East Berlin to West Berlin 25 years ago.

The fact is, you claimed they could not do this, but in fact, they already have.

Glasgow August 18
Sheffield August 20
Cardiff August 22

Philadelphia July 12
Baltimore July 14
Montreal July 16

I thought in Western Europe there are no formal borders with customs searches, unlike the US/Canada border where they check passports and search vehicles, (with traffic backups) etc.

I've no familiarity with the US/Canada border, but evidently in the past they haven't had problems. There are multiple examples of the band having just one rest day between US and Canadian concerts on major tours since JT. Here's an especially interesting example:

1992-08-25, Pittsburgh
1992-08-27, Montreal
1992-08-29, New York

If then, why not now?

Sunset and stage placement could be an issue. Or it could just rain all day.

Hey, the concert is happening right around the solstice - there's light in the sky past 10:00! I'm more worried about it still being light out when the show starts. :wink:

You are partly right. For the given examples by Axvar, there is no problem. You can drive from Amsterdam to Berlin or from Gothenburg to Gelsenkirchen and you will 99% sure not be delayed at the border. That's because of the Shengen treaty: free movements of goods and people.

If then, why not now?

Because border crossings into the US changed post 9-11. Now, who knows if those trucks can get special clearance, but it's definitely not like it used to be.

A better example to look for is timings during the Vertigo tour.

Well, for Vertigo, they played a gig in Seattle on 2005-04-25, then did the COBL video shoot in Vancouver with the full Vertigo stage on 2005-04-27. So just one day's rest there.

But I realise those cities are reasonably close.

It's still not difficult to get across the US - Canadian border. The only difference between then and now is that you have to show a passport as opposed to a birth certificate or drivers license. It usually just takes minutes, unless traffic is backed up, or you're one of the unlucky ones picked for a "random" search. I can't see them being overly concerned that the U2 organization is a front for terrorism. :wink:

I don't think U2 has any problem crossing the border and they fly in anyway. The convoy of trucks is another story.

Yeah, I guess your right. I'm sure the TSA assumes U2/Live Nation did a background check on all of the roadies, truck drivers etc. that they hired on for this tour so they'd just be waved on in..

I mean it's U2.

I don't think U2 has any problem crossing the border and they fly in anyway. The convoy of trucks is another story.

I can't see them being overly concerned that the U2 organization is a front for terrorism. :wink:

A zillion trucks cross the borders daily. Only a very tiny fraction are searched. I can't see U2's being on their radar, is what I was getting at. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom