(07-22-2005) Ask the Critic: Robert Hilburn -- LA Times*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://www.calendarlive.com/media/photo/2005-02/16118833.jpg[/SIMG]
Ask the Critic: Robert Hilburn

Do you think it's best for artists to switch set lists or find one that works and stick with it?

Question: I adore Bruce Springsteen and U2, but one reason I have seen more than 50 Springsteen shows and only eight U2 shows is that the Springsteen set lists vary so much and the U2 ones barely change. Do you think it's best for artists to switch set lists or find one that works and stick with it?

Brendan McSherry
Berkeley

Hilburn: You've got great taste, Brendan, and you've also brought up a great question because there is no simple answer. I have seen some artists three or four times on the same tour and have been delighted that they stuck with the same set list because it worked perfectly. Then again, it's very stimulating to see an artist change things from one night to the next.

The key is what makes the most powerful statement each night.

Springsteen is a master at shuffling things, whereas U2 tends to strive for the "perfect" set list. The band will usually change things a bit on the early dates of a tour. For instance, its set list order changed considerably between the opening of U2's current tour in San Diego and the Staples Center show a few nights later. At some point, however, the band usually starts relying on a more regimented set list night after night. It's the combination of songs that they feel brings out the best in them and the audience. If things grow stale, they'll experiment again later in the tour.

But I believe Springsteen, too, has settled on a particular set list. If memory is right, I saw him three times on the "Tom Joad" tour, and the set list was pretty much the same because the songs really worked together to make a powerful statement.

With Springsteen and U2, I think they are aiming for something that works for both them and the audience. I think most artists try to figure out what is going to be most effective with the audience and stick with it after that, figuring the same tunes will work regardless of the city. That often leads to a static show. You want the show to reflect the artist's passion, and that might change from time to time during a long tour.

--Los Angeles Times

Got to keep in mind most of the people in the audience only watch the band live once in a tour... so it makes sense that U2 will cater for them and play the perfect live set, so that they can leave with the best live experience...

It's true. Well said. And I'd like to note that for those who see them more then once, we might get lucky and hear a song that was not played at the last one we attended. So, all in all, it's a good thing. agree...?

communist said:
Got to keep in mind most of the people in the audience only watch the band live once in a tour... so it makes sense that U2 will cater for them and play the perfect live set, so that they can leave with the best live experience...

I disagree. This is my first tour seeing U2 live as a long time older fan, and I am blown away at the great number of fans who are seeing 4,5,6,12,20 shows this tour nd they do it every tour! I am lucky to be catching 5 shows myself this tour at different venues and have been amazed at each show, not an identical setlist yet....I have enjoyed hearing some of the classics like An Cath Dubh, The Ocean, and even seeing shows open and close with different tunes. What I haven't been impressed with is U2's choice to do Vertigo twice in one show. I love their music and listen all the time, I'd gladly watch them live night after night if I could, but if I'm paying good money for tickets I want to hear 22 plus different songs, not repeats.

I have to also say I believe U2 plan their setlist per show based on any number of things. I don't think I would go to as many shows if they played the exact same set list show after show after show. Seems so robotic to me and U2 is anything BUT!

....just my ten cents' worth!

I agree, Carek1230. If this were 1985, I might accept U2 playing a song twice in a show. It might be argued that at that point of their careers, they only had a few really big hits or only so much material, so they had to play a song twice.

But it's 2005. And while there are a good chunk of fans seeing the show only once, U2 have SO much material that it's inexcusable they should play any song twice. Maybe it's unique for them, but I don't like it. I'd much rather here another "golden oldie", a rarity or another HTDAAB song than "Vertigo" twice. There's just no need for it - no matter how much it rocks.

That said, I don't really have a problem with the similar setlists and I think Hilburn's reasoning is perfect. U2 do stride to create the perfect setlist to give the maximum interaction between them and their fans. As Hilburn also wrote, even Springsteen is starting to do this now. Sure, Springsteen is known for mixing it up more, but U2 will change their setlist if they do 2 or more shows at a venue.

I've seen U2 4x on this tour to date, and have experienced some goodies, including "Gloria" and "Who's Gonna Ride...". I would have probably died had I actually been at a concert where Bono sang the opera part in "Miss Sarajevo"! ;) So U2 do change things, but clearly not enough for the die-hards. But by now the die-hards - those seeing U2 100000x this tour - should know that U2 won't mix up their setlist, barring a few token changes here and there. They haven't really mixed things up since the Love Town tour, and even on that tour, it was more mixing the order of the songs rather than the songs themselves.

Double-Vertigo aside, my only disappointment with the current setlist is that it appears that I won't get to experience An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart when they come back to the States. I think it's outrageous that they revived it for the current tour, and hoped they'd hang on to it. Too bad.

nbcrusader said:
Varying set lists are only for those who see multiple shows.

No offense, but you're wrong. You can't tell me you wouldn't be thrilled if the only Vertigo show you attended included some live rarity that the majority of the tour didn't feature.

Shade said:

No offense, but you're wrong. You can't tell me you wouldn't be thrilled if the only Vertigo show you attended included some live rarity that the majority of the tour didn't feature.

No, it wouldn't be a thrill. I attended San Diego 2 (WOWY and Gloria). Getting into the ellipse (LA 1) was more of a thrill than the set list.

Back
Top Bottom