(07-22-2004) Bono Moves to Preempt Thieves - WIRED*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Bono Moves to Preempt Thieves

Wired News Report

Irish rockers U2 will release its recently stolen album on Apple's iTunes music store if it shows up online, according to a report in the London Daily Telegraph.

An advance copy of U2's brand new album, which is not due in stores until November, was stolen last week at a photo shoot in the south of France.

The band is worried the new songs will be posted to file-sharing networks. If so, lead singer Bono has a plan:

"If it is on the Internet this week, we will release it immediately as a legal download on iTunes, and get hard copies into the shops by the end of the month," Bono told the paper.

He added, "It would be a real pity. It would screw up years of work and months of planning, not to mention fucking up our holidays. But once it's out, it's out."

The album, Vertigo, will be band's first release since the successful All That You Can't Leave Behind nearly four years ago. A rough cut of the disk disappeared from a recording studio in Nice during a photo shoot. The band was putting together the finishing touches. Most of the album had previously been recorded in Dublin.

French police have launched a major operation to find the disc.

"A large slice of two years' work lifted via a piece of round plastic," said lead guitarist The Edge on the band's site. "It doesn't seem credible but that's what's just happened to us."

Band manager Paul McGuinness said, "The band is so excited about (the album's) release. It would be a shame if unfinished work fell into the wrong hands."

Reuters contributed to this story

http://wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,64310,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_3

Wow. I am really excited for the new album, but would be kind of disappointed if they ended up releasing a rush version that wouldn't be as good if they had more time to perfect everything...

I don't want them to release it early if it's not ready. They've spent this long on it, it should be what they want to hear, not what someone stole.

Now it's Vertigo again. :huh: That's becoming more and more appropriate with all the different news.

:eyebrow: Well.....? The waiting begins, I suppose! Is it going to 'turn up on the internet? Or is that person just gonna sit on it? Hmm..maybe be evil and wait for a better opportunity? :mad: Hmmm!

No matter how much people like the thrill of leaking the songs, and how much the fans enjoy it, you can tell the band really doesn't like it. They don't want anyone to hear it until it's ready, and just right. As a writer (of books I've never had published, or even sent in yet) I would be humiliated and very pissed if someone put out work of mine that was not perfected to my approval. I hope the person will not put the disk online. If they do, they'd be stupid, because it can be traced to them and they will get arrested. They might try to lie and say they found it on the street, but that's not going to fly.

Radiohead's "Hail To The Thief" was leaked months before its official release...

Back
Top Bottom