(06-28-2002) Bono disappointed by aid package - National Post

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.nationalpost.com

Bono disappointed by aid package

National Post
Friday, June 28, 2002

locate.asp

Bono, lead singer for the Irish rock band U2, was one of those campaigning for more aid for Africa at the summit. In an interview on CBC Television, he said the final commitment by the world's richest nations disappointed him.

"I'd like to tell you these people [the G8 leaders] are the devil, well they're not," he said.

"The trouble is [that] people are dying for the stupidest of reasons: money."

"People are saying we could do 200% more, if we had the money. Others say we could do 1,000% more, if we had the money."

Bono said he had hoped the G8 leaders would have been bolder. "The message we're trying to get to the politicians is, don't move in baby steps. Take the big leap forward ... $24-billion sounds like a lot of money, but you think of the cost of the war in Afghanistan ... It's cheaper to put the fires out before they start and there are another 10 Afghanistans waiting to happen in Africa.

"I just thought they'd have the imagination to take a giant, giant leap here."

He said the protest movement is growing and pressure from a number of sources is building for the world's richest nations to do more to help the poorest.

"The penny is slowly dropping: people are getting out on the streets," he said.

"People are responding at a gut level to what they see as the ever- widening gap between the rich countries and the poor countries."

"It's starting to turn ... I think that over the next year you'll be hearing from us."

? Copyright 2002 National Post

Back
Top Bottom