(04-25-2005) Drum and Bass -- U2.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Drum and Bass

Adam and Larry talk to U2.com about rehearsals, set lists, live debuts for new songs and hitting the road again.

A couple of weeks into the tour, with half a dozen shows completed and a sense that ‘Vertigo//05’ was finding itself, Adam and Larry sat down with U2.com to talk about night life on stage with 20,000 fans for company.

How do new songs find their way into the set? What tracks are turning into highlights? How physically exhausting is a two-hour show of twenty plus songs? And what happens to your skins when the singer is hitting them?

To read the complete members-only interview, click here. Highlights are available below:

U2.com - After the first few shows Adam, you have started to use the stage and the ellipse a lot more. Does it take a while for you to become familiar with your territory during a show?

ADAM: ‘I have to say it does take quite a long time for me to not be surprised for example by the rhythm of the set, or by what the lighting or the screens will be doing. Between songs in the early shows I might be thinking about which bass I am on or my monitor needs. All these things have an implication for what I might be doing physically onstage. ‘And then I have to be aware of what Bono and Edge are doing. As well as playing the songs, your proximity to the other musicians as performers is something you are regulating. At certain times, for example, I need to be close to the Edge, and I am thinking about where he is on the stage - for certain songs you need a more physical connection.

‘But once things start to settle down, once the ebb and flow of the set is settled in me and I get a feeling for what’s right, then I become much more relaxed, my antennae are not at quite the same fever pitch and I become more instinctive on stage.’

U2.com - And you’ve got a problem there with your additional drummer!

LARRY: Well, he’s really screwing it up for everybody! And he’s wrecking the drums too, that’s the other thing - you want to see the skin off the drum, its pummelled and I’m not giving him a new skin every set!’

--U2.com

Can someone PLEASE post (or email: jonathanflax at comcast dot net) the entire interview for us folks who can't afford the full membership?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111oneone :wink:

flaxjm said:
Can someone PLEASE post (or email: jonathanflax at comcast dot net) the entire interview for us folks who can't afford the full membership?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111oneone :wink:

You are all welcomed to e-mail or PM one another the complete interview but please don't post it here.

Thank you.

Ah, good point. Well if any kind sould would email the Larry-Adam interview to jonathanflax at comcast dot net I would be :drool: .

In the interview Adam says that they will/are playing 10 songs from the new album because he thinks that they will start playing Crumbs and Original soon.

1. Love and Peace or Else
2. Vertigo
3. City of Blinding Lights
4. Miracle Drug
5. Sometimes
6. All Because of You
7. Yahweh

8. Crumbs
9. Original

10.????? Will they play A Man and A Woman soon ...... :drool: :drool:

If anyone has been lucky enough to read this, could they please email it to us well-meaning non U2.com members? I would be in your debt. For which I would then ask relief.

If anyone has a transcription, I am at jonathanflax at comcast dot net.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And good night.

Same here...I can't afford right now to join ( just spent $190.00 on tickets to the Vertigo show in Glendale and $150 for 2 nights at a hotel in Phoenix!) so if there is a kind soul out there that could let me read it please email me at

tmciano@yahoo.com.

I would SO much appreciate it!! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom