(03-08-2006) Vertigo '06: Final Dates Postponed. - U2.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Re: AUSTRALIAN FAN - DEVASTATED

DaveC said:

Yeah, you having to wait an extra couple months is really heartbreaking. Yeesh. :tsk:

Best wishes to whomever is ill (be it Edge's daughter or not).

For !@#$ sake! Can't anyone be allowed to express themselves here, when was it the last time you saw them,huh!........if you don't like what some people have posted keep it to yourself....i know maybe thats what i should have done with your post.....but Christ, i've just about had enough of fans (some that have already seen U2 on this tour) chastizing other fans......GET KNOTTED!!!!

I would like to add that i think on behalf of all Australia,New Zealand,Japan and Hawaii fans!!! That our thoughts are exactly with U2 especially The Edge,Morleigh and their little girl Sian and that we wish them a speedy recovery, not just because we want them to tour, but that we want Sian to be well again!

Whoever is ill, get well soon.
Like someone said though, "postponed" sounds a bit better than "cancelled". Perhaps just a temporarily health situation...

U2girl said:
Whoever is ill, get well soon.
Like someone said though, "postponed" sounds a bit better than "cancelled". Perhaps just a temporarily health situation...

Yes, I'm afraid to post this in the other thread on the topic for fear of it being misread a million ways and triggering 20 pages of fighting, but the dates have been postponed till September. The current dates are squeezing in just before the stadiums get taken over for the football season, and the September/October dates are immediately after that season finishes. I think that's a good sign, ie the 6 month wait is forced by availability, not necessarily a band decision. In reality we don't know how long this delay needs to be, it might in fact be far shorter but circumstances dictate it has to be longer.

The situation may also not be as serious as it looks, but the postponing necessary due to distance, and thus making it 'look' worse than it is. If it is the situation we believe it to be, touring in the US or Europe or even South America allows room for jetting backwards and forwards, Australia etc does not. Again, if it's the situation we suspect it to be, a number of things could be happening, all of which are incredibly sad and truly awful and I am most certainly not downplaying any of them, but don't all necessarily have to be a 'worst case' scenario. Every father would need and want to be as close to their child as possible when they are unwell. From Australia, that is impossible. There is no third choice. Stay, or go. No 'come and go' as there has been on previous legs. He would have to be packing up for a few weeks without the ability to return. Just saying it may not be an emergency situation, but a father rightfully feeling that first and foremost he must stay close through a rough patch. I think we all sincerely hope this is the case.

Earnie Shavers said:

Yes, I'm afraid to post this in the other thread on the topic for fear of it being misread a million ways and triggering 20 pages of fighting, but the dates have been postponed till September. The current dates are squeezing in just before the stadiums get taken over for the football season, and the September/October dates are immediately after that season finishes. I think that's a good sign, ie the 6 month wait is forced by availability, not necessarily a band decision. In reality we don't know how long this delay needs to be, it might in fact be far shorter but circumstances dictate it has to be longer.

The situation may also not be as serious as it looks, but the postponing necessary due to distance, and thus making it 'look' worse than it is. If it is the situation we believe it to be, touring in the US or Europe or even South America allows room for jetting backwards and forwards, Australia etc does not. Again, if it's the situation we suspect it to be, a number of things could be happening, all of which are incredibly sad and truly awful and I am most certainly not downplaying any of them, but don't all necessarily have to be a 'worst case' scenario. Every father would need and want to be as close to their child as possible when they are unwell. From Australia, that is impossible. There is no third choice. Stay, or go. No 'come and go' as there has been on previous legs. He would have to be packing up for a few weeks without the ability to return. Just saying it may not be an emergency situation, but a father rightfully feeling that first and foremost he must stay close through a rough patch. I think we all sincerely hope this is the case.

I saw the thread in U2 tour section...I see how the September shows news could turn ugly there. What bad luck this tour's had...ticket fiasco, start and now end postponed.

I hope all the Australian, Japan and New Zealand fans can get ticket/money refunds. I know they waited a long time, spent money and made plans etc... but I think we can all agree family has to come first.

Kinda makes all the bitching that goes on about setlists and other crap like that seem childish, doesn't it? Blessed were those of us who got 2 c them on tour, and prayers 2 the U2 families in this trying moment.

U2girl said:

I know they waited a long time, spent money and made plans etc... but I think we can all agree family has to come first.

Absolutely. I would hope that they didn't feel like they had to think about it at all. It's not even a decision in my opinion. If a family member is unwell, you just drop everything.

And this is one U2 fan who is well aware that it has been 2500 odd days since U2 were last here in Sydney, and doesn't think adding another 170 odd days to that is too big a deal. Its a disappointment for all and a real hassle for some who have made a lot of plans, but when the gig kicks off in September you won't remember that stuff at all.

My prayers are with whoever is ill and with everyone else. It doesn't matter if it's Edge's daughter that's the one who isn't doing well again or not which I hope in not the case.

Speedy recovery

Yes, best wishes to whomever is ill.

From a purely selfish fan point of view, it's very disappointing (I'm sure it's ok to point out one's disappointment).

I wonder if it will be possible to re-arrange my £2,500 holiday (from UK to Hawaii) and get my $450 back for the 2 tickets... doubt it.

Seen them twice already on Vertigo, once at Manchester and their last night in New York (yes, the one with the DREADFUL fiasco of an ending...)

I was hoping to see the last ever Vertigo concert go out in a blaze of glory (ending with Vertigo I was hoping!) to remove the bad taste left from the NY one.

Never mind, that's just a piddly problem considering the current situation.

U2 had made the right decision to postpone the tour for right now. Do feel bad for those who have been waiting to see their concerts though. But I know how great U2 fans are and that they are understanding of the situation. Will admit I was lucky enough to have seen them twice also last year. So I can understand the disappointment of those who are waiting for their turn. Pray that everything turns out well for the band member and their family. All of this is so :sad:

:sad: Very sad to wake up and read this news this morning. My thoughts and prayers go out to U2 and there Family. :sad:

coemgen said:
:sad:

Let's all surround them with prayer. (Nice post, Jamila)

It's the best thing that all of us can do right now for U2 and their families - just surround them with prayers and Love.

Thanks to everyone who supported my post.

LOVE AND PEACE. HOPE AND JOY. MERCY AND GRACE TO U2 AND THEIR FAMILIES. :hug:

I remember a post about some article (can't remember if it was Mexico or South America) that mentioned The Edge flying back to L.A. because of Sian's illness. I know it was a rumor...but perhaps there was some truth to it.

My prayers go out to all of U2 and family. If it is Sian, I pray that she recovers from this point. :sad:

Very sad - kind of puts life in perspective, you know? Really, if we don't have our health or our loved ones' health, what do we have? I am sure the band member, perhaps all of them, would give it up to make the ill person whole again.

I remember watching a Top of The Pops performance with U2 with SYCMIOYO and it was like a lament more than anything and you knew there was something more to it than just a tribute to Bob Hewson - You sensed it, even the presenter commented on it

I wish them well and the best of prayers

this may sound a bit silly.. but the news made me realize that the guys are human! and they have to throught difficult times just like any of us to keep making us happy with their music.
We kind of take them for granted some times, I guess.. and to think of all the things they might have gone through and still keep playing together after all these years, not even for money, i guess just for the love of their fans....

Moments like this are opportunities to give back all we can: our support, understanding and prayers.

God bless the band and family.

Listening to U2 so often and watching and loving them so much has made me feel as though I know them (I'm sure many of you feel the same) and this news has made me feel very sad.
My thoughts and prayers are with the band and their families, especially with the one that is ill and the immediate family. The fact that they have postponed the tour shows me once more the love there is among them. I really hope that everything will be allright.

Jamila said:

It's the best thing that all of us can do right now for U2 and their families - just surround them with prayers and Love.

Thanks to everyone who supported my post.

LOVE AND PEACE. HOPE AND JOY. MERCY AND GRACE TO U2 AND THEIR FAMILIES. :hug:

Very well stated, Jamila. My thoughts and prayers are with U2 and their families.

I think we all know that this band would NEVER postpone or cancel unless it is something very serious...they love their fans...but family must come first ..... my thoughts are with them....hoping everything turns out ok :(

hewson1 said:
:sad:
Bittersweet news....thoughts with the Edge and his family....the right decision has been made

really dissappointing for fans who had flights and accommodation booked (especially in Australia!)...some coming from thousands of kilometers away just to see them :(

AT this point the fans who travelled thousands of miles should be the LEAST important thing. The most important thing is that whoever is sick gets well soon! If the fans miss out even if they travelled thousands of miles well atleast they got a trip and get to see australia! what more could they ask for. If they don't understand that then they are not really real fans, any real fan would understand. Shit happens so lets not worry about the fans and worry about the health of who ever is sick!

Back
Top Bottom