Live Broadcasting the Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gorman

Refugee
If you were on Interference during the Vertigo tour, you likely remember the live audio streams of many of the shows. Thanks to a mix of mobile phones, Skype, and Shoutcast, we were able to hear shows live for the first time -- albeit, not with the best sound quality in the world. It was a lot of fun and I think made us feel more connected to the tour. I remember saying that for the next tour, however, we should have the technology to kick things up a notch.

I am very happy to report that we do indeed have that technology now. There are now services that will enable us to reliably stream both the audio and video from all of the shows in real-time. The quality of the audio will be immensely better, and the video isn't bad either. The requirements are no higher than they were last time -- a higher end mobile phone (ideally one with 3G). This is possible using services like Qik (Qik | Share Live Video From Your Mobile Phone) and Kyte.tv (Kyte Mobile). They provide the software that runs on your phone and they host the stream for everyone to watch (live) through their Flash-based player. Oh yeah, and it's all free too :)

While the tour is still a couple of months off, I would like to start organizing now. I honestly believe that we can have a live stream of literally every show of the tour. All we need is one or more people with a capable mobile phone (Qik | Supported Devices has a good list) that's willing to hold up their phone during the show. I will help get everything setup, but it should be fairly straightforward. Once the tour dates are announced, we can start figuring out who can commit to what shows. Until then, I urge everyone to become familiar with these services as that will make things smoother going forward.

We have the opportunity to broadcast every U2 show across the globe, live. Let's do it :)

(this may not be the appropriate forum -- feel free to relocate the thread)

Wow, this is excellent news - sounds like what we did in 2005 will be Stone Age by comparison. I'll of course do everything I can to help, and my intention is to use these feeds to run live setlists on U2gigs for everybody's reference.

Wow, this is excellent news - sounds like what we did in 2005 will be Stone Age by comparison. I'll of course do everything I can to help, and my intention is to use these feeds to run live setlists on U2gigs for everybody's reference.

This has the potential to be so much better than the confusing threads! :ohmy:

great idea - this will be amazing - potentially every show will give some great archives for the future too

he problem is that I cannot enjoy the concert if I am busy all the time with this cellphone. It also annoys me a bit if everybody around me is doing it. I have to be in the flow the concert. Too bad for the people on internet...

Asking someone, or many someones to hold up a phone for the whole two hours does seem a lot to ask! If we can get complete audio and a little video, that would be amazing itself!

Sounds illegal. Live Nation and Matheson Ormsby Prentice (U2's lawyers) might have something to say about this.

they could do something that Pearl Jam did before. Just bring out bootlegs of every show. Everybody can buy the show they attended on dvd in high quality and U2 makes a lot of money!

This has the potential to be so much better than the confusing threads! :ohmy:

Yeah, amidst all the chatter, the set sometimes has a tendency to get lost, especially if you turn up after the show's begun. So my intention is to have the lead article on U2gigs' mainpage about whatever concert is on, with the set updated live and a link to it from the thread's first post. That should help out everybody who doesn't want to wade through 200 posts just to find out what the band's playing.

I loved what we did last time, but we definitely have the potential to be more organised this time around, so this will be my contribution.

Sounds illegal. Live Nation and Matheson Ormsby Prentice (U2's lawyers) might have something to say about this.

Nothing illegal about taking your mobile phone to a gig and calling somebody while the band's on stage.

Now, if this was being done with proper bootlegging gear, then you might have a point.

not a bad idea.... but yeah, how many people would like to "ruin" a concert holding a cell phone in the air for 2 hours while people on Interference will bitch because the shooter jumps around and moves the phone... :lol:

Remember this been done at Honolulu last time out. Quality was really poor then but I remember thinking 'what if...'. If the tech is there then bring it on!
:drool:

My iphone would die well before the encores though :-(

For audio, we really just need the phone placed in a good spot (i.e. not inside a backpack!). I'm sure nobody here would object to a primarily audio feed, with the phone held up to give video for a few songs.

Alternatively, if we have multiple sources for a show, we could rotate through them, say one person does five songs, then another does five more, etc.

Though this is me just shooting in the dark with no knowledge of the technology, while gorman's probably thought about all of this, so I'll defer to him for definitive solutions.

So the poor bugger phoning in has to stand mute, lest his/her "woohoos!!!!" "Bono I love youuuuuuuuuuu", "Edge! Edge!! Over here, Edge!!!" interfere with the IF audience's listening pleasure???

If U2's management had any sense, they'd do it through their own website with a decent feed,

It's hardly going to stop any paying U2.com members going along to the concerts for real, and it's likely to make a whole load of new members sign up.

I'd rather just have people post the setlist as it happens via cellphone instead of dealing with absolutely miserable bootleg quality.

I'd rather just have people post the setlist as it happens via cellphone instead of dealing with absolutely miserable bootleg quality.

Well, you don't have to listen, you can just read people posting the set or what I have on U2gigs. Those posts/live setlists won't appear any differently whether the source is live audio or text messages - though live audio tends to mean the updates are quicker and you get more information regarding snippetry and other details.

Anyone know of an iPhone application that could be used for this?? I have an iPhone 3g and if I were to one show, I would very much like to stream it.

The purpose definitely isn't to create a proper bootleg -- it's just to let everyone experience the show as it happens.

I agree that holding up a phone the whole time wouldn't be a ton of fun. As others have said, even having video for part of the show would be great. Perhaps there's a way to position your phone (in a front pocket, etc) so that it can capture video without you holding it. Or maybe someone you're with wouldn't mind doing it. Either way though, some video is better than none :)

Qik is compatible with the iPhone btw, but it _may_ require your phone to be jailbroken. I think they're working to put out a "legit" version though; hopefully by the tour!

If U2's management had any sense, they'd do it through their own website with a decent feed,

It's hardly going to stop any paying U2.com members going along to the concerts for real, and it's likely to make a whole load of new members sign up.

genius idea :love:

*keepsfingersverytightlycrossedincasetherumoursthataustraliamissesouthistimeroundaretrue*

:)

not a bad idea.... but yeah, how many people would like to "ruin" a concert holding a cell phone in the air for 2 hours while people on Interference will bitch because the shooter jumps around and moves the phone... :lol:

Wouldn't a hands free headset work? I've recorded acouple of tracks from concerts using the iPhone's headphones. they sound quite good.

Back
Top Bottom