US 2008 Presidential Campaign/Debate Discussion Thread - The Fifth Installment - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2008, 11:58 PM   #151
She's the One

Local Time: 05:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer

The funniest thing would be if Sting2 turned out to be right
Never underestimate the fickleness and the idiocy of America voters.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:12 AM   #152
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:59 AM
McCain is enjoying a grace period.

we'll see what happens in the general.

there's no question, he was, by far, the smartest GOP nominee out of that field.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:29 AM   #153
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

we'll see what happens in the general.

there's no question, he was, by far, the smartest GOP nominee out of that field.
huge learning curve from 2000
to now

I really believe that lobbyist / affair story was a plant

to get him to explode like he did on maria schriver in 2000

the whole rap on him,
that he is fly off the handle wacko
has been put to bed
Old 03-19-2008, 12:36 AM   #154
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
If Obama had said this, people would be up in arms over his lack of foreign policy knowledge...

Quote:
Sen. John McCain, traveling in the Middle East to promote his foreign policy expertise, misidentified in remarks Tuesday which broad category of Iraqi extremists are allegedly receiving support from Iran.

He said several times that Iran, a predominately Shiite country, was supplying the mostly Sunni militant group, al-Qaeda. In fact, officials have said they believe Iran is helping Shiite extremists in Iraq.

Speaking to reporters in Amman, the Jordanian capital, McCain said he and two Senate colleagues traveling with him continue to be concerned about Iranian operatives "taking al-Qaeda into Iran, training them and sending them back."

Pressed to elaborate, McCain said it was "common knowledge and has been reported in the media that al-Qaeda is going back into Iran and receiving training and are coming back into Iraq from Iran, that's well known. And it's unfortunate." A few moments later, Sen. Joseph Lieberman, standing just behind McCain, stepped forward and whispered in the presidential candidate's ear. McCain then said: "I'm sorry, the Iranians are training extremists, not al-Qaeda."

The mistake threatened to undermine McCain's argument that his decades of foreign policy experience make him the natural choice to lead a country at war with terrorists. In recent days, McCain has repeatedly said his intimate knowledge of foreign policy make him the best equipped to answer a phone ringing in the White House late at night.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:39 AM   #155
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:59 AM
Quote:

Old 03-19-2008, 12:39 AM   #156
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

the whole rap on him,
that he is fly off the handle wacko
has been put to bed

i know people on the Hill who will tell you, in no uncertain terms, that he is wacko. and a press whore. and an asshole.

but as for the media narrative,

you might be correct.

but let's remember,

general elections are between two individuals. it's a choice that people make between two candidates. it's a direct comparison.

all GWB had to do in 2004 was beat John Kerry.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:40 AM   #157
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond

he was the only electable candidate out of that bunch.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:42 AM   #158
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

If Obama had said this, people would be up in arms over his lack of foreign policy knowledge...

remember that market that McCain visited in early 2007, where he was trying to say how calm and lovely Iraq had become? and all the while he was wearing a bullet proof vest? it was very Dukakis-in-the-tank?

that same market was determined to be too unsafe for him to visit on this his most recent visit.

we have a long, long way to go before November.

McCain is out of the spotlight. this trip abroad is barely making news.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:44 AM   #159
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
but let's remember,

general elections are between two individuals. it's a choice that people make between two candidates.

we are in agreement
again

I have written in here many times
in November it will be
candidate A or B, only.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:48 AM   #160
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Obama is also the only candidate who a majority of Americans -- roughly 60 percent -- say does not have the right experience to be president

That number is significantly higher than the 31 percent who say the same for McCain.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:49 AM   #161
Blue Crack Supplier

and, i'm sure we both agree, who had more "experience" than Dick Cheney and Don Rumsfeld?
Old 03-19-2008, 12:52 AM   #162
Blue Crack Addict

don't shoot the messenger, but what the

majority of Americans

think does have some impact on the outcome of the election.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:36 AM   #163
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:59 AM

Quote:

he was the only electable candidate out of that bunch.
you said smartest.

rudy and mitt probably have 25-50 IQ points over McCain.

McCain, may perhaps have been the shrewdist, but not the smartest in the Republican field; although he appears is a tad quicker than Fred Thompson.

And he'll probably be shrewder than the eventual Democratic nominee and win the General, but not smarter than Obama, although saner than Hillary.

There you have it.

dbs
Old 03-19-2008, 02:18 PM   #164
Blue Crack Addict

NY Daily News

During rally, Al Sharpton says he's keeping support for Obama quiet

By ADAM SERWER and MICHAEL SAUL
DAILY NEWS WRITERS

Wednesday, March 19th 2008, 4:00 AM

The Rev. Al Sharpton is backing Barack Obama, but he's made the strategic decision to keep his support quiet.

That's the message Sharpton delivered to his flock last Saturday as he boasted of talking to Obama "two or three times a week" - and insisted the Democratic front-runner knows the rev is in his camp.

"I said, 'I'm gonna do whatever I gotta do to help you. Hillary Clinton has never done nothing for us,'" said Sharpton, recounting a conversation with Obama for his followers at his group's weekly rally.

"'I won't either endorse you or not endorse you,'" Sharpton said he told the Illinois senator as the two made their way to a Nov. 29 dinner at Sylvia's Restaurant in Harlem. "'But I will tell you I can be freer not endorsing you to help you and everybody else.'"

According to Sharpton, Obama protested and asked for his public support. "'No, no, no. I want you to endorse,'" Sharpton recalled Obama saying.

Sharpton told Obama that it would be better strategically for him to remain publicly neutral.

"If I endorse you, and they jump on somebody in Jena, you're going to want me not to go because the press is going to ask you what about your supporter," Sharpton said.

"Negroes just [ask], 'What, what's Sharpton gonna do,'" he explained. "If you understand strategy, you get somewhere."

An endorsement from the controversial Sharpton is a double-edged sword, impressing some voters and driving others away.

Sharpton told the Daily News yesterday he has no plans to officially endorse Obama, but admitted he's "absolutely supportive" of his White House bid.

"If people got that impression on Saturday, that is the right impression," he crowed.

Sharpton said one of the reasons he has "started discussing my private feelings is because of the disappointment I've had in the public conduct of the Clinton campaign."

He specifically cited racially tinged statements from former President Bill Clinton, Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell and former vice presidential candidate Geraldine Ferraro as troubling.

Asked to explain his comment that Clinton had "done nothing for us," Sharpton said he was referring to his organization, the National Action Network, not the black community.

A spokesman for Clinton declined to comment, while an Obama spokesman refused to comment on private conversations with Sharpton.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:30 PM   #165
Blue Crack Addict

Washington Post

John Murtha Endorses Hillary Clinton

By Anne E. Kornblut

LANCASTER, Pa. -- Rep. John P. Murtha has announced his endorsement of Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, bringing his clout as a 17-term member of the House and a prominent anti-war Democrat to bear with more than a month until the primary here in his home state.

“Sen. Clinton is the candidate that will forge a consensus on health care, education, the economy, and the war in Iraq,” Murtha wrote in a statement about his decision.

Murtha, who represents the 12th district of Pennsylvania, near Pittsburgh, was an early and sometimes inflammatory critic of the Iraq war. As a retired Marine Corps colonel and the first combat veteran of Vietnam elected to serve in Congress, Murtha’s voice on Clinton’s behalf could prove especially valuable in both inoculating her from anti-war criticism and bolstering her claim that she is the most qualified to serve as commander-in-chief. That message is the backbone of Clinton’s appearances this week.

“Her experience and careful consideration of these issues convinced me that she is best qualified to lead our nation and to bring credibility back to the White House,” Murtha said. He said he “whole-heartedly” recommends Clinton to all voters in his state.