History made as gay couple marries in Toronto - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2003, 11:11 AM   #31
She's the One

Local Time: 03:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
(yes, all you married non-Catholics are living in sin technically, in the eyes of the Church).
Woo-hoo!

Par-tay.

Old 06-13-2003, 02:35 PM   #32
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Salome
and canada is following our every move

next year cloggs
more windmills in 2006
hopefully tulips in 2010

who wouldn't need a joint in a country like that?
LMAO!!! You rock, Salome!!

Old 06-13-2003, 06:09 PM   #33
Refugee

"I'm a Catholic living in sin through no fault of my own. The Catholic Church was the one who refused me to marry in their church and have the hide to imply it is sinful. "

All Catholics live in sin, its a prerequisite. Oh, that and guilt - don't forget the guilt.

As for the newlyweds, I wish them all the joy possible, and, at the risk of talking shop in such a topic of controversial implications, a new hairstyle. For the both of them. They could have 'made history' with a little more style.

Ant.
Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'
Old 06-13-2003, 08:11 PM   #34
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife

But its the first legally recognized same sex marriage in all of North America so that's pretty historic I think
Old 06-14-2003, 12:46 AM   #35
Babyface

Local Time: 05:42 AM
Congrats to the happy couple! I hope they have a wonderful future together.
Old 06-14-2003, 05:59 PM   #36
The Fly

Location: originally, my fellow primate, I am from Apeton on the island of Bananaland
Young Josh, you are an ape too? HALLOA!

Your elderly apey friend, Gramps Magee

I leave you with:

*banana of good fortune*
Old 06-16-2003, 10:52 PM   #37
Refugee

Local Time: 12:42 PM
I mean you cant legislate everything/..sometimes you ahve to live your life and understand that as long as ppl aren't hurting you you ahve to live side by side with them
Old 06-17-2003, 09:54 PM   #38
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:42 AM
Canada Appreciation Post

Canada to Allow Same-Sex Marriage

By COLIN McCLELLAND, Associated Press Writer

TORONTO - Canada will change its law to allow homosexual marriage, joining Belgium and The Netherlands as the only countries where same-sex couples can legally wed, Prime Minister Jean Chretien announced Tuesday.

Chretien said the new law would be drafted within weeks and submitted to the Supreme Court of Canada for review, then put to a Parliament vote. His Liberal Party has a commanding majority in the legislature, though the issue has caused division in the Liberal caucus.

The announcement means the government decided against appealing recent court rulings that declared the nation's definition of marriage as unconstitutional because it specified the union of a man and woman.

An Ontario appeals court last week declared that wording invalid, changing it to a union between two people.

"There is an evolution of society," Chretien said in making the announcement after a Cabinet meeting. He said the law would allow religions the right to decide what marriages should be sanctified.

An Anglican diocese in Vancouver has approved a blessing for same-sex unions, which it says is separate from marriage. The blessing ceremony, performed once so far, caused a split in the diocese with some churches dissociating themselves.

Opinion polls indicate a slight majority of Canadians favor legalizing same-sex marriages. After the Ontario appeals court ruling and similar previous ones by courts in British Columbia and Quebec, the government was under pressure to change the law or file appeals that would have left the issue unsettled.

Justice Minister Martin Cauchon said Tuesday it was time for change.

"We have decided not to appeal those rulings ... and proceeded with draft legislation that will be ready shortly ," he said. The new law would redefine marriage as called for by the courts while protecting religious freedoms, according to Cauchon.

"We're talking about essential freedoms here," he said.

Svend Robinson, a Parliament member for the leftist New Democratic Party who has pushed for same-sex marriages in Canada, praised Chretien's government for showing leadership. He rejected opposition by conservative political groups, who argue that changing the definition of marriage uproots a fundamental tenet of Canadian society.

Dozens of homosexual couples have obtained marriage licenses in the week since the court ruling, with at least one wedding taking place.

In the United States, homosexual marriage lacks full legal recognition in all 50 states. Vermont recognizes civil unions that give homosexual couples the full benefits and responsibilities of marriage but are separate from legal marriage.

"Americans now have the chance to see a society can treat gay people with respect," said Evan Wolfson, executive director of the New York-based Freedom to Marry organization promoting homosexual marriage. "Families are helped, and no one is hurt."

-------------------------------------

Yes, I can finally celebrate! To those who are opposed to gay marriage, I have only this to say: don't have one! Join a church that doesn't permit it--and I'm guessing that most of you probably do anyway. That's it! It doesn't affect your life one iota, and, hopefully, Canada will show the bigots of this world how little it affects their lives anyway. This legislation gives gay people true equality finally, and, with every step, straight people have lost nothing at all. Bitch, whine, moan all you want, but you know its the truth, just like giving women the right to vote and integrating blacks into society.

Bigots still have every right to congregate and look like the insular morons that they always have been, but that's their right. But it isn't like straight people did a great job with marriage themselves anyway. Why do gay people have to prove anything with heterosexuals having high divorce rates and trashing it in reality television? Maybe gay people will treat it better than heterosexuals, who always take things for granted. Until you know oppression, you'll never know freedom...

...and how wonderful it smells! If the U.S. doesn't shape up in a few years, I'll add to the illustrious list of dual American/Canadian citizens.

Melon
Old 06-17-2003, 11:34 PM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

Wonderful news.

It's 2003, nice to see my country joining the new millenium.
Old 06-18-2003, 12:00 AM   #40
Refugee

Local Time: 04:42 AM
Though MR. Jean is going to make it legal does not mean it will be legal in all provineces. My premier has said that he will use the not with standing clause and not alow them in Alberta. I stand behind my Premier.
Old 06-18-2003, 12:27 AM   #41
She's the One

Holy crap melon! That is exciting!! What a great way to start the new century! Wow. I'm so happy that the ball is finally rolling toward progress and equality and equal opportunity and access.

Someday our country will realise that the legal union of two people who love each other and commit to each other is no threat to anyone.

We'll have a party when that happens. I'll buy you a grape soda!
Old 06-18-2003, 06:26 AM   #42
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by bonoman
Though MR. Jean is going to make it legal does not mean it will be legal in all provineces. My premier has said that he will use the not with standing clause and not alow them in Alberta. I stand behind my Premier.
Eh...it's Alberta. Who cares?

But don't expect it to happen without a court challenge.

Melon
Old 06-18-2003, 01:06 PM   #43
Bono's Belly Dancing Friend

Local Time: 07:42 AM

Wow, Melon, I opened the paper this morning and thought of you at once. Looks like you beat me to posting it!

Told ya you'd love it here! This is a very proud day for Canada.

Old 06-18-2003, 08:59 PM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by bonoman
Ralph Klein is an asshole.

When Ontario banned Alberta beef, he went running and whining how the provinces must stick together.

Except of course, when it doesn't suit him.
Old 06-19-2003, 10:07 PM   #45
ONE
love, blood, life

I was in Detroit last night and I got to watch teh CBC News.

They did a report about couples from all over North America running to Toronto to exchange vows (U.S. and Canadian couples). At the end of the story...the anchor talked about how Toronto was quickly becoming the "Gay Las Vegas."