Fireworks? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2005, 11:08 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:40 AM

I don't see why the people who buy fireworks are getting all the flack, as if other people (incl. you Lemonboy) never spend money on 'useless" things. I didn't buy any fireworks yesterday but I had fun regardless and I don't plan on feeling guilty about it.

I donate to Care international and a variety of other charities on a monthly basis (even when it's not fashionable) and I don't see how me not having fun could ever help these people.

Old 01-01-2005, 11:49 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
The people I know who shot off fireworks already had them- they bought them last summer on vacation in a state where the bottle rockets were not illegal Around here the only time you can buy fireworks is Fourth of July, then you save some for New Year's Eve. So not every went out and wasted money now. But in the neighborhood I spend New Year's Eve in last night, there were more guns going off than fireworks. Everyone had to shoot into the air, even shotguns. And because everyone did it, nobody cared, nobody called the cops. I just hope no damage was done.
I know what you mean U2Kitten. This happened in my city some years back and a little girl was killed when a bullet came back down and hit her. The commissioners changed the law where no fireworks could be shot off inside the city limits, and of course no one was suppose to be shooting guns anyway. Even though some people still do it, at least it doesn't sound like a war zone on July 4th and New Years Eve, any longer.

Old 01-01-2005, 12:05 PM   #18
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by DrTeeth
I don't see why the people who buy fireworks are getting all the flack, as if other people (incl. you Lemonboy) never spend money on 'useless" things. I didn't buy any fireworks yesterday but I had fun regardless and I don't plan on feeling guilty about it.

I donate to Care international and a variety of other charities on a monthly basis (even when it's not fashionable) and I don't see how me not having fun could ever help these people.
And of course people can shoot fireworks if they want....It just seemed like a nice gesture...However it might not be taken the same way in countries that haven't been as affected as Sweden.....The thing that surprises me though is the fact that U2-fans are doing Egocentrical statements in a time of crisis...

But, actually I don't buy many useless things simply because I'm a student and I can't afford it!

It is great that you donate money...however I think it's disrespectful to talk about donating being fashionable after what has happened....
Old 01-01-2005, 12:24 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Why don't we all cancel our Interference subscriptions and donate $12?

There are plenty of "useless" luxuries we could give up in order to help, so I don't think it's fair to say if someone wants to shoot off their fireworks, they're selfish for not returning them and donating that money. Everyone has different resources anyway. I didn't donate a cent after 9/11, but I donated what I DID have - time and the ability to work so I went to NY w/ 600 others and helped out the Red Cross instead.

Like DrTeeth's example, we can all contribute in our own ways.
Old 01-01-2005, 12:40 PM   #20
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
Why don't we all cancel our Interference subscriptions and donate $12?

There are plenty of "useless" luxuries we could give up in order to help, so I don't think it's fair to say if someone wants to shoot off their fireworks, they're selfish for not returning them and donating that money. Everyone has different resources anyway. I didn't donate a cent after 9/11, but I donated what I DID have - time and the ability to work so I went to NY w/ 600 others and helped out the Red Cross instead.

Like DrTeeth's example, we can all contribute in our own ways.
I agree with what you're saying here....however I cannot recall saying people should return their fireworks....

But as I said I live in the country who besides the asian countries has been hit the hardest.....so No-one feel like celebrating here.....
Old 01-01-2005, 12:52 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by DrTeeth

I agree with you dr teeth. I don`t buy useless fireworks but i would never tell other people not to buy also. It is a personal decision to do so or not.

...and i am hypocrite enough to say, i did enjoy the firework of my friends Almost $750
Old 01-01-2005, 01:03 PM   #22
War Child

Local Time: 05:40 AM
whats the point of being depressed all the time lifes a bitch i agree but there is no point moaping about it all the time 1st its septerber 11th! But come on stopping fireworks is going too far!
Old 01-01-2005, 01:34 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Lemonboy

I agree with what you're saying here....however I cannot recall saying people should return their fireworks....
I know, what I meant was, pretty much everyone already had their fireworks purchased before the terrible disaster so the only way to donate the money instead like you are suggesting would be to return fireworks. It's a great idea to donate instead of buying fireworks, but everyone had theirs already. There are many places in the US where you can't buy fireworks so most people get them earlier in the year when they are on other trips to places that do sell them. I also know people who like to have lots of fireworks for 4th of July and they bought TONS of them when they were vacationing in Mexico and have enough to last for years and years.
Old 01-01-2005, 02:02 PM   #24
War Child

Every year Seattle sets up fireworks on the Space Needle, a pretty show set to music. This year they started (I think it was first) with 'New Years Day', edited so that you heard 'I will be with you again' over and over. I thought it was a nice memorial gesture.
Old 01-01-2005, 04:30 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Sue- what a terrible story, poor little kid I heard about 100 people were killed in Kuwait when the people there shot guns into the air to celebrate the US running Iraq out of their country. You never know where they're going to hit or come down. There had been some stray cats out eating in those peoples' garbage can ( I had give them scraps) and I worried about them too.

Lemonboy- I see your country had a lot of people missing down there I saw the one story about the baby whose uncle came to fetch him, did the parents ever turn up? I think I heard the grandma was alive? And little Karl Nillson, a cute little 4 year old with long blond hair, he was in our newspaper holding his name on a piece of paper in hopes someone would recognize him and come get him. He said he was in a hotel room with his brothers, the parents left, 'the room filled with water but I could still breathe, the floor disappeared and I came down in another town'
Poor kid, I hope his family shows up safe, or that some other family members in Sweden come down to take him home.
Old 01-01-2005, 04:47 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
Lemonboy- I see your country had a lot of people missing down there I saw the one story about the baby whose uncle came to fetch him, did the parents ever turn up? I think I heard the grandma was alive? And little Karl Nillson, a cute little 4 year old with long blond hair, he was in our newspaper holding his name on a piece of paper in hopes someone would recognize him and come get him. He said he was in a hotel room with his brothers, the parents left, 'the room filled with water but I could still breathe, the floor disappeared and I came down in another town'
Poor kid, I hope his family shows up safe, or that some other family members in Sweden come down to take him home.
That was in our newspaper also. It's been in many U.S. newspapers, I think that picture just grabbed heartstrings all over. Poor kid.
Old 01-02-2005, 01:46 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:40 PM
I am in New Zealand and spent my New Year's Eve, persuaded by friends, admiring the fireworks and dancing with the Hare Krishnas on the streets. I did not intend to ooh and ahh over fireworks.

But when they happened right above me, I was deeply moved. Most of the drunks there probably didn't have the tsunami victims in mind, but I did, and I thought of it as a tribute to the unfortunate. It reminded me of an Elizabeth Jennings poem, Remembering Fireworks, about a life so exquisite and that extinguishes as quickly and poignantly...

I read that on Penang Island, where the tsunami hit Malaysia, people were so respectful that there wasn't a peep on New Year's Eve 12 o'clock. I think that is amazing.

foray
Old 01-02-2005, 01:51 AM   #28
Jesus Online

Local Time: 04:40 PM
foray have you been in contact with all your family and friends?
i'd email/pm you but you're harder to reach than royalty.
Old 01-02-2005, 01:54 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:40 PM
Heya boondocks
Alhamdullilah, as the Muslims would say... no one I know in the 1st degree has been affected. Maybe a flood but not life-threatening.

foray
Old 01-02-2005, 02:04 AM   #30
Jesus Online

Local Time: 04:40 PM

I'm glad mate. I hope there's not too much damage from the floods.