Disney now gives us a black princess - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2007, 02:19 PM   #76
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AEON

Was that Sayed from LOST? He's one of my favorite characters on the show - and he a former Iraqi Soldier! (the character is). Why? Because of who he is on the show and NOT because I feel like I need to like a certain percentage of Iraqis to consider myself multi-cultural.

And no, I don't worry about my race. I wish others would do the same.

yes, that's the same actor.

the reson you don't worry about your race is because you don't have to worry about your race. it's not something you ever have to think about in practical terms. it's not a source of identity in the way that it is for a minority person. and it doesn't matter what people *should* do; what matters is the fact that society forces you to account for your race when you are in the minority so that it becomes every bit as much a category of identification as, say, "Christian" might be to you.

none of this is good or bad, but please don't think that race doesn't matter simply because it doesn't matter to you.

Old 03-28-2007, 02:20 PM   #77
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:56 AM
Quote:

And I don't see how my dislike of African Poetry in my Greek Literature class is racist.
Quote:

Needless to say - the poetry was pure crap.
Maybe?

Old 03-28-2007, 02:24 PM   #78
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
I suppose that college teaching as a profession generally attracts those inclined to liberal activism.
Are you kidding me? From where did you pull that conclusion??
Old 03-28-2007, 02:25 PM   #79
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:26 PM
Quote:

Was that Sayed from LOST? He's one of my favorite characters on the show - and he a former Iraqi Soldier! (the character is). Why? Because of who he is on the show and NOT because I feel like I need to like a certain percentage of Iraqis to consider myself multi-cultural.

And no, I don't worry about my race. I wish others would do the same.
You obviously worry about your race with your statements referring to attacks on Western civilization. You are part of the majority, yet you refuse to show any understanding of what it's like for someone else. To reiterate, this isn't about you. This is about the effects of the portrayal of a homogeneous society in the media upon children and people of minority background. If your view was correct, we would still have the negro leagues cause that's what black people did back then. They weren't represented in baseball so they went and formed their own league.

Oh, and the racist remark, Irvine alluded to? "Needless to say, the poetry was pure crap" in reference to African poetry. "Needless to say"? That is an interesting way of phrasing your dislike for the poems.

I give up.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:25 PM   #80
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

If you don’t like the way your race is represented – then do something about it. You can 1) make a movie that says something different and 2) stop feeding the monster with your money.
Yes, like Disney is doing now.

You are again so self focused on your post, and don't even try to get what the article is about, or what the posts by Mia or Trevster are about.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:26 PM   #81
Blue Crack Addict

I think this thread is more than enough proof of why we need Disney black princesses.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:47 PM   #82
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
I think this thread is more than enough proof of why we need Disney black princesses.
Yes.

It's proof of much more, but I'll keep quiet.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:49 PM   #83
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

[QUOTE]Originally posted by maycocksean
[B]

Quote:
It's interesting to note that you feel that the homegenization of world cultures via a gradual assimilation of Western culture is a good thing, a goal worth of striving for and things that interfere with that progression should be cause for concern. Am I reading you right on this?
The West can be defined many ways. By western thought; our democracy, free-markets, capitalism, free press, scientific skepticism--then yes, I'd like to see that spread around the world. By Western culture; our music, languages, etc--I'd like to see that go both ways. Think the Beetles. They spread rock n roll (and Western culture) around the world while incorporating newly discovered (non-Western) philosophies and music into their music.
Quote:
If so, then how far would you take this belief? What are you thoughts on some of the colonialist and imperialist behaviors and attitudes of the 19th century?
That brings up an interesting point. While we can agree that information technology, ease of travel, global trade and corporatization have "shrunk the world." If westernization is a verb, so is Balkanization. We also see many areas going the other way into fragmentization, isolation or erupting into civil war/genocide.
You could argue that countries are better off today (higher standard of living, better educated) for their time under Imperialistic rule or because of colonization, yet also argue that national sovereignty is more important in the end.

You sound like you travel a lot. I'm torn, on one hand I think it's inevitable that slowly the world will continue trending towards sounding and looking alike as peoples and cultures blend. Being better to happen naturally and not as the result of invasion as these things have happened in the past. However, it's nice to travel and experience different foods, and customs and such. Diversity can be a very good thing.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:18 PM   #84
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

and if you think George Bush is a good president, you live in East Buttfuck, Texas?

can you stop with the regionalism? you make good points but always seem to debase them with cheap, easy, Hannity/Coulter asides at "Hollyweird" types or (gay/jewish) New Yorkers.

Well, never mind that they* refer to Indiana as "Jesusland" or "fly-over country." I've come to put those "cheap, easy asides" in just for you.

*they. Hollywood liberals, mainstream media elites and academia pinheads.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:12 PM   #85
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by INDY500

Well, never mind that they* refer to Indiana as "Jesusland" or "fly-over country." I've come to put those "cheap, easy asides" in just for you.

*they. Hollywood liberals, mainstream media elites and academia pinheads.

yes, most of my professors in college refered to Indiana as "Jesusland."

let's let a single t-shirt do the talking.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:25 PM   #86
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by redhotswami

Are you kidding me? From where did you pull that conclusion??
I wonder. Have you stepped in on a class in the USA? Even the JC's are getting in on the action.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:41 PM   #87
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I wonder. Have you stepped in on a class in the USA? Even the JC's are getting in on the action.
Your observations crack me up. How many different campuses have you actually attended to come up with this sweeping generalization?
Old 03-28-2007, 05:54 PM   #88
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

i went to college, and while i would agree that most professors are socially liberal -- though many economics professors are fiscially conservative -- that doesn't mean that their classes are mini-indoctrination sessions (as opposed to, say, the classes at Liberty University or Oral Roberts or Bob Jones).

it's like the media. yes, most people in academia, like the media, think racism is bad, they think women deserve equal work for equal pay, they think homophobia is bad, they think women are more than baby machines, they value diversity and respect for other cultures, they believe in the separation of church and state, they aren't concerned with one r eligion being "true," etc.

things like that. what that does NOT translate into is, firstly, support for the Democrats, or any specific political agenda, and secondly, that their classrooms are a soapbox. are some professors egotistical blowhards and think their political opinions are more informed than anyone else and want to share this in class? absolutley. this this common? no.

and as with the media, the Right seems to think that because they have certain colleges (the aforementioned) working to advance their specific agenda, the Left must as well. it doesn't. just like the Right thinks that because they have certain media outlets shilling for them (Washington Times, Fox News) then the Left does as well. they don't.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:58 PM   #89
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Very well said, Irvine.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:31 PM   #90
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Just one question: What are the JC's?