Bono is Named One of Time's "People of the Year"! - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 12-18-2005, 10:46 AM   #16
Local Time: 05:34 PM
For me it should have gone to a Red Cross volunteer (anyone of them). Not only where they important during Katrina and the Tsunami earlier in the year, but they risk there lives in war torn countries like Iraq and Afghanistan.

Old 12-18-2005, 10:49 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict
Originally posted by VertigoGal
althouogh I'm sure Bono's had his fair share of martinis at his villa in the south of France )...just some thoughts.
True, but he could be doing only that and never do anything else........that was my point. He doesn't *have* to do this, he does it completely by choice.

Old 12-18-2005, 11:13 AM   #18
Blue Crack Distributor
Well said verte.
Into the heart of a child...
Old 12-18-2005, 11:23 AM   #19
Blue Crack Distributor
Local Time: 10:34 AM
Placing doctors or Red Cross workers on the cover won't sell as many issues. Sad, but true. Time is there to sell issues (and yes, report the news, but they're competing with other weekly news magazines).

While it's nice to see them choosing people doing good in a year with so much bad news, I hope no one really gets their panties in a bundle over this. It's the cover of a magazine, that's all. People put too much weight on these kinds of things.

That said, I was surprised by the choice - I never even considered he was seriously in the running to be the Person of the Year.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:42 AM   #20
War Child
Local Time: 12:34 PM

Quite deserving, as this actually puts the world awareness of poverty and positive steps to DO SOMETHING about it as the TRUE "people of the year".

I'm just in awe that TIME recognizes this to this degree!! Let's here it for the amount of press this will get and the increased awareness this will raise.

God bless!!

In response to opinions that the actual people who do the daily grind deserve this, I think we realize how the media works. What it recognizes is the celebrity, the leadership and charisma of leaders to inspire us to DO greater acts in our daily lives. And I do not think this is wrong.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:03 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict
Location: Having fun with the changing weather in Illinois...and wanting to meet Bono again. Please...for christ sakes call me Weldy!!!!
Originally posted by corianderstem
Placing doctors or Red Cross workers on the cover won't sell as many issues. Sad, but true. Time is there to sell issues (and yes, report the news, but they're competing with other weekly news magazines).

While it's nice to see them choosing people doing good in a year with so much bad news, I hope no one really gets their panties in a bundle over this. It's the cover of a magazine, that's all. People put too much weight on these kinds of things.

That said, I was surprised by the choice - I never even considered he was seriously in the running to be the Person of the Year. very true

I was also suprised by the choice too...I was like "WTF?! "
Old 12-18-2005, 12:19 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 01:34 PM
I am so excited for him he deserves it.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:28 PM   #23
The Fly
I'm glad the public had no voice in this. JK Rowling was a candidate, and in a reader poll, she or he, (Whatever gender it is) beat out everyone including Bono, mostly due to those Harry Potter fankids.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:32 PM   #24
Local Time: 11:34 AM
I'm happy with the choice, and proud of Bono. I think he deserves every bit of recognition he gets.

(but it would have been nice to see a non-celebrity be "Person of the Year," too.)
Old 12-18-2005, 12:55 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 07:34 PM
I know about Bono´s merits and have been praising them, but here´s a toast to Bill and Melinda Gates!

750 mil is quite a sum. I don´t know whether Gates can write all of that off (taxes). Ok that guy is a 100 billion $ heavyweight, anyway.. I think it is good that he is rewarded, maybe more super-rich can follow his example.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:33 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Bono, whom I consider one of the most extraordinary men in our lifetime, deserves honor and recognition. He is not lacking in either.

"To whom much is given, much is expected." He is one of the exceptions who lives by that. Here's also to those who have never been given much, who choose to give somehow anyway.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:45 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 11:34 AM
Another article on this award from Reuters:

Time Persons of 2005: Bill and Melinda Gates, Bono
Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:02 AM ET

By Claudia Parsons

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The richest man in the world, Bill Gates, and his wife, Melinda, were named Time magazine's "Persons of the Year" along with Irish rocker Bono for being "Good Samaritans" who made a difference in different ways.

"For being shrewd about doing good, for rewiring politics and re-engineering justice, for making mercy smarter and hope strategic and then daring the rest of us to follow, Bill and Melinda Gates and Bono are Time's Persons of the Year," the magazine said in its December 19 issue, made public on Sunday.

Managing Editor James Kelly said the three had been chosen as the people most effective at finding ways to eradicate such calamities as malaria in Africa, HIV and AIDS and the grinding poverty that kills 8 million people a year.

Time also named former Presidents George Bush and Bill Clinton as "Partners of the Year" for their humanitarian efforts after the Asian tsunami and Hurricane Katrina, and the unlikely friendship that developed from that work.

"Natural disasters are terrible things, but what defines us is not what happens to us, but how we react to it," Kelly said.

"When you look at the number of people who die from the kind of diseases and poverty that the Gates' and Bono are fighting, the death tolls are far greater than what occurs in natural disasters or wars," he told Reuters.

The founder of computer giant Microsoft Corp. , whose personal fortune of $46.5 billion topped Forbes magazine's list of the world's richest again this year, and his wife were named for their work in the Gates Foundation, the world's biggest charity with a $29 billion endowment, while Bono was described as the "rocker who has made debt reduction sexy."

"The rocker's job is to be raucous, grab our attention. The engineer's job is to make things work," Time said, describing the unlikely alliance that developed after the three met for dinner in 2002. They were reunited on Friday in Omaha, where Bono was performing with U2, to be photographed for the cover.

The Gates Foundation funds hundreds of projects around the world primarily focused on public health, from vaccinating children to developing new drugs, as well as educational programs and scholarships in the United States and abroad.

Bono and fellow musician Bob Geldof spearheaded a popular campaign to tackle poverty in Africa through canceling the debts of the poorest countries in the world, raising global awareness through the Live 8 concerts in July.

Partly due to popular pressure, the world's industrialized nations agreed in July to double aid to poor countries by 2010, adding $50 billion a year, and to cancel poor countries' debt.

"Bono charmed and bullied and morally blackmailed the leaders of the world's richest countries into forgiving $40 billion in debt owed by the poorest," Time said.

Kelly said he expected the choice to surprise some people, but the unlikely alliance of the richest man in the world and a "hell-raiser" like Bono was an inspiring example of how different approaches could be effective.

Kelly said the "odd couple" of former Presidents Bush and Clinton had been among the contenders for "Person of the Year," which ranged from talk show host Oprah Winfrey, for her influential campaigning for hurricane relief, to Mother Nature, encompassing the tsunami, hurricanes and earthquakes.

Time has been naming its person of the year since 1927 and the tradition has become the source of speculation every year, as well as controversy over unpopular choices such as Adolf Hitler in 1938 and Ayatollah Khomeini in 1979.

The aim is to pick "the person or persons who most affected the news and our lives, for good or for ill, and embodied what was important about the year, for better or for worse."

Time's 2004 Person of the Year was U.S. President George W. Bush while "The American Soldier" graced the 2003 cover in the year when U.S. troops invaded Iraq.

"You want to make a choice for the history books as well as one which is fresh and interesting," Kelly said.

And I agree - Bill and Melinda Gates are some of the most unselfish people in the world,

They are completely deserving of this award.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:53 PM   #28
War Child
Originally posted by Muggsy
the only thing I really hate is the magazine cover...
i least so far. I don't like Bono wedged between the looks fake and like a cheap tabloid editing job, or like justiceleague actionfigure arrays. somehow their bodies look manipulated, their chests puffed out. the debt-relief heroes, with the married couple purposely broken up by the rockstar.
blech. it's rather appalling i think, cheap and very unsexy. i mean, true its hard to make bill gates look sexy, but to have bono not look sexy is a trick i think they pulled off with this one.

okay, now my mind feels a little freer, if not exactly happier.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:02 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 06:34 PM
I'm happy for Bono, Bill and Melinda

and that's all i'm going to say
Old 12-18-2005, 03:12 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Bono a hell-raiser