You've heard GET ON YOUR BOOTS? - Post all thoughts, reviews, discussion HERE Part 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The person who wrote that article deserves an appreciation thread. :up:

I actually found some of his comments to be pretty dumb to be quite honest.

The last two albums were "watered down versions of the Joshua Tree" what the fuck was he listening to? Its obvious he liked POP (which I do as well) but I just don't get the whole diss of their music in the 00's. ATYCLB and HTDAAB may not be total genius, but there are some amazing songs and a lot of great performances in there. Its almost like this guy has been hibernating since '97 and just woke up.

The song really is not that good,it's not terrible..but safe and contrived- you can't really judge production on a squashed mp3 mix- but the mps mix itself is poor- the drums are flat and the levels are inconsistent; the guitar itself is very flat w/ no bite- perhaps the sound they're going 4- but not well received by many- I hope the rest of the album is far more revealing- you can't judge a book by it's cover...but this cover is not very good- I give it an "ok"

THE SONG SUCKS! I have been a huge U2 fan since the Boy album and liked everything up until Atomic Bomb. This single is the worst ever! I mean they out did themselves. I thought Atomic bomb was bland boring and crap but this single is even
worse than anything on Atomic Bomb. I can't theU2 sheep are giving this good reviews. If this was from any other band the song would not even get air play and you would say that band sucks. Well, U2 now officially sucks! A lot of people hated the last album adn that is obvious from the sales and the reviews on amazon. Well this album looks to be the final nail in the coffin for U2. What a piece of garbage this song is. hell, even Coldplay are making better U2 songs than u2, and I hate Coldplay.
I am so sad to see a once great band become a joke. They will win grammies and get good reviews but true U2 fans know they are now a joke compared to what they once were. can you believe Atomic Bomb one grammys and War, Boy, Unforgettable Fire.. didn't? They only one grammy because they are famous not because they are good.

Bono and guys why don't you just retire because now you are an embarassment to yourselves

heeeeeeeere we gooooooooo!

who woke up the music police?

THE SONG SUCKS! I have been a huge U2 fan since the Boy album and liked everything up until Atomic Bomb. This single is the worst ever! I mean they out did themselves. I thought Atomic bomb was bland boring and crap but this single is even
worse than anything on Atomic Bomb. I can't theU2 sheep are giving this good reviews. If this was from any other band the song would not even get air play and you would say that band sucks. Well, U2 now officially sucks! A lot of people hated the last album adn that is obvious from the sales and the reviews on amazon. Well this album looks to be the final nail in the coffin for U2. What a piece of garbage this song is. hell, even Coldplay are making better U2 songs than u2, and I hate Coldplay.
I am so sad to see a once great band become a joke. They will win grammies and get good reviews but true U2 fans know they are now a joke compared to what they once were. can you believe Atomic Bomb one grammys and War, Boy, Unforgettable Fire.. didn't? They only one grammy because they are famous not because they are good.

Bono and guys why don't you just retire because now you are an embarassment to yourselves

You are writing them off after hearing one song off the new album? Are you sure you are a fan? Bizarre. Really bizarre.

The song really is not that good,it's not terrible..but safe and contrived- you can't really judge production on a squashed mp3 mix- but the mps mix itself is poor- the drums are flat and the levels are inconsistent; the guitar itself is very flat w/ no bite- perhaps the sound they're going 4- but not well received by many- I hope the rest of the album is far more revealing- you can't judge a book by it's cover...but this cover is not very good- I give it an "ok"

agreed.

we need the CD version immediately. the sound levels are total shit.

You are writing them off after hearing one song off the new album? Are you sure you are a fan? Bizarre. Really bizarre.

he also said that U2 is dead in another thread. i've checked CNN and other sites, and haven't seen anything, so i'm hoping he's joking. :sad:

Did we hear the same song? Along with Fast Cars, this is probably the most interesting thing they have released this decade. And I'm with you on Bomb, i despise that album. But this song is subtle man, the harmonies on the choruses alone are priceless. Real melodic subtlety going on thruout the song. I suggest you give it some more listens.

That Defamer review is awesome.

I am pretty much the lone U2 fan left among my friends. The last two albums lost them. Completely. Especially Atomic Bomb, of which a friend of mine drunkenly but very deliberately tossed off a balcony a couple of days after release. I still don’t really know what I think about GOYB, whether it’s an exciting new thing or just a better Vertigo, but if this is the sentiment of a more alternate/indie/non-Top 40 fan that has been lost in the 00s (and there are millions of them out there) that can only be a good thing for the band.

People tell it the way it is! You know if this song was from anyone other than U2 you would say it stinks. The song STINKS! You have not heard any reviewers say anything good about the new album other than it is different. Different doesn't mean good. Let's all admit that U2 finest hours
are over and have been for over a decade. They now live off their prior glory. The last few albums were all garbage. Let's don;t feed the egos of these 4 arrogant washed up rockers by saying their new stuff is great when it junk.

I getting sick of the back and forth crap already and its only the first day.

I have a legitimate question and it is one that I'm curious to hear what people have to say. It is obvious now that this U2.com clip is GOYB. But do you really hear this drum beat on the song? It seems like it was changed. Have a listen:

http://media.u2.com/flash/highlights/greentea.swf

It'll be interesting to start going back to some of these as we hear the songs.

People tell it the way it is! You know if this song was from anyone other than U2 you would say it stinks. The song STINKS! You have not heard any reviewers say anything good about the new album other than it is different. Different doesn't mean good. Let's all admit that U2 finest hours
are over and have been for over a decade. They now live off their prior glory. The last few albums were all garbage. Let's don;t feed the egos of these 4 arrogant washed up rockers by saying their new stuff is great when it junk.

:hug:

...yeah, because I'm going to look towards someone with an obvious total bias towards the song for objective opinions and guidance.

Pssssh...right. :down:

Review from Los Angeles Times

Snap Judgment: U2's new single, 'Get on Your Boots' | Pop & Hiss | Los Angeles Times

Bono and his band of merry men are not ones to miss a window of hope. And so on the eve of Barack Obama's inauguration -- just hours after the Irish rock ambassadors entertained the president-elect with their MLK Day anthem and their unofficial post-9/11 elegy at the Lincoln Memorial -- U2 unveiled a new single. Way to claim your spot on the "Yes, We Can" caravan, boys!

"Get on Your Boots" is a first taste from the band's new long-player, "No Line on the Horizon," which hits the global marketplace Feb. 15. Hear "Get on Your Boots" and read details about the album here. (Most exciting tidbit: The digipak edition will include a film "companion to the album" by Anton Corbjin.)

Initial thoughts on the band's newest inspirational booty-shaker after the jump.

Pundits are already splitting hairs about "GOYB" -- does it sound like Elvis Costello circa "Pump It Up" or the Temptations classic "Ball of Confusion"? Both connections are plausible, and there's also a fuzzy Stooges-style guitar riff that would have made Ron Asheton chuckle. But the fusion "GOYB" represents is hardly new for U2 or longtime producers Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois.

U2 got its mojo back with "Achtung Baby" 15 years ago by realizing that as white guys, they had to loosen up and get a little dirty if they wanted to explore black-invented sounds. Since then, one of its many missions has been to meld rock and soul in a way that doesn't feel retro and honors both traditions.

"GOYB" is sharper-edged than "Mysterious Ways," faster than "Elevation" and more non-linear than "Vertigo." It's dance-rock with a few small, tricky changes: a very Eno-esque bridge to nowhere, based on the phrase "you don't know how beautiful you are" that drags out the beat like Silly Putty, and a break near the end that has Bono rapping "let me in the sound" over a muscular Larry Mullen Jr. drumbeat that yells "I love rock and roll!"

As usual, modern rock's beloved grand uncles have been absorbing the lessons taught by their progeny. "Get on Your Boots" is quick and multi-layered, more like the dance rock preferred by kids who grew up on electronic music than a baby-boomer boogie fest.

Though it's tempting to stir up a rivalry between the alt-rock era's most beloved British band and its iPod-era successor, "Get on Your Boots" sounds nothing like Radiohead. MGMT seems like a more relevant influence. This is happy stuff, almost hedonistic, with not a whiff of anxiety or paranoia or even sexual tension. "Get on Your Boots" is a song about letting loose and letting go.

And moving toward a brighter future. Bono's musings here do not read well on the page (peruse them here, if you must), with Bono cutting up phrases he's used before and free-associating like he's had a couple of pink cocktails. But the underlying message is relevant.

So what is sexy about donning boots, in a song whose cheerful tone and other lyrics about forming community and growing up hardly suggest a pair of stilettos? To turn a phrase that once belonged to the increasingly irrelevant Paris Hilton, it's hot right now to ponder cleaning up a mess. And that's what "Get on Your Boots" means to inspire us to do. This is U2's celebratory announcement of a new historical moment, one in which America and the world confront the catastrophes of the recent past and bust out some elbow grease to make things better.

It's not quite time for a new anthem, this song seems to say, though titles from "No Line on the Horizon," like "Cedars of Lebanon" and "White as Snow," suggest those are coming. It's time to get to work. In its playful way, "Get on Your Boots" is a work song, a little jolt for those ready to rise up together toward change. Let me in the sound, indeed.

-- Ann Powers

I have been hoping for something good for 10 years. ATYCLB was a great album but Atomoc Bomb was gargabeg and most people know it. They hyped up Bomb saying it was their best work and it turned out to be all LIES. It was complete junk. Now if this single is any indication then this album will go down as their worst album ever

Ok haters, we get your point already.

This really just makes me sad and annoyed. This is supposed to be a fun and exciting time and there is so much negativity. It almost makes me embarrassed to call myself a U2 fan.

I have been hoping for something good for 10 years. ATYCLB was a great album but Atomoc Bomb was gargabeg and most people know it. They hyped up Bomb saying it was their best work and it turned out to be all LIES. It was complete junk. Now if this single is any indication then this album will go down as their worst album ever

So, you don't like the new song? I'm having trouble deciphering your points here.

interesting, really makes you wonder if Bono's sending a message in this song that the rock star, F-Bomb at Grammy's, cig smoking Bono is back.

I could live with that, with or without the cig. I've loved alot about what they've done this decade but just think it's time for a change. Probably my favourite thing about U2 is the # of different sounds, moods, attitudes and even "public perceptions" they've had. I think as a band U2 have a great knack for knowing when to shift gears, whether it was Rattle and Hum-Achtung or Pop-All that you can't leave behind.

Ok haters, we get your point already.

This really just makes me sad and annoyed. This is supposed to be a fun and exciting time and there is so much negativity. It almost makes me embarrassed to call myself a U2 fan.

:hug:

That's why some of us don't come in here that much. (or only come by to entertain ourselves :shifty: )

But I understand that you have to stay and keep the peace. It's a sacrifice we all appreciate.

I drink to you!

So people are only hearing the main riff and 6 note solo? Be sure to listen with headphones. Also, the itunes version seems cleaner to me. I can hear the acoustic touches in the main verses and Edge again in the "beautiful" part. Then from the second "sound" part till the end he goes wild! The rhythm section is very loud on this one. I love it. Good lead off single. Makes me want more!

Zzzzzzzzzzz.........I'm sorry, how much was that toaster? wha? am I dreaming? sorry....I better go to bed before I actually start to read some of these posts....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!

Somebody ban this loser. :angry:

You are sad, just sad.

Shame on you.

If anything I was biased towards liking u2. However, I am not a sheep and going to say their music is good when it stinks. We all know that the last album was junk and even U2 themselves have admitted they can't put something like that out again. Go read the amazon reviews and you will see there is a huge amount of U2 fans who consider them washed up. Only the diehards are still holding on. When you get too rich, too powerful, too arrogant, you lose the spark that makes you great and this has happened to u2. U2 RETIRE before you become the next rolling stones

Please explain. Atomoc? Gargabeg?

Go read the amazon reviews and you will see there is a huge amount of U2 fans who consider them washed up.

... yes? And? So because some people think they're washed up, the rest of us should, too?

I love it when people march in here and tell us how to think. :cute:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom