You've heard GET ON YOUR BOOTS? - Post all thoughts, reviews, discussion HERE Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading the reviews, Im surprised how polarizing this song is. Alot of people either totally love it or think its the biggest piece of crap ever. There are people in between obviously, but the number at the opposite ends is interesting.

For me, I dont like it. I like my songs challenging, and no, I didnt want an "accessible" single. So dont dismiss me as "you dont get it" or "youre just a casual fan". The mix of the elements in the song just isnt working for me, I'll leave it at that.

I honestly think people here 'need' to like this song, like part of themselves would be destroyed if they don't like something their favourite band in the whole world produced. It's especially obvious for those going too far and saying its the best single U2 has released etc. Let's try and be realistic people.

As you say, apples and oranges- I was just saying that calling it the best single ever means you throw it in with all their other singles. Understand- I love the song, very much. But compared to a few of the other singles, it pales- just one man's opinion.

Last thing I want on the forum is a sparring match- you've got great taste, dude! I know this!

But I never said "best single", I said "best lead single" ;)

I like how Mods are like a quiet watcher, they don't really post and then when things start getting out of control, they just appear out of nowhere and straighten things out.

Mods are like cops, they just come from the ground almost.

Congrats on your 1000 posts btw. :up:

Ok, so it reminds me of vertigo and fast cars in the way Bono is playful in the lyrics (nothing particularly new there). But, what interests me more is this new sound I am hearing, it sounds very complex, fresh and interesting - a bit like the zooropa days. I can't wait to to hear the album.

I honestly think people here 'need' to like this song, like part of themselves would be destroyed if they don't like something their favourite band in the whole world produced. It's especially obvious for those going too far and saying its the best single U2 has released etc. Let's try and be realistic people.

Again, I said "best lead single"

It's so hard for you guys to deal with someone that likes something you don't?
Just asking.

Yeah, I don't get why people are so obviously frustrated by negative comments regarding this. It's music, some will like it, some will love it, some will hate it, and some will just say meh. No reason to start attacking each other personally.

Right. So then you're instantly comparing it to WOWY :sexywink:

No worries man, back to debating a solid song!!!

When I compare it to WOWY... I'm saying that I enjoy more listen to Boots. Cause I think it's really weird to compare those songs musically. I wasn't clear on that, sorry. Of course, there will be moments in my life I'll enjoy WOWY more. But Boots is just good at almost any time. :wink:

or there's just a small chance that someone has an opinion different from yours, and that it's not an issue of who's right or wrong.

This song is 'The Fly' and 'Discotheque' wrapped up by a 'Vertigo' type lyric...I think it has something for every U2 fan. Great riff, experimental and cool lyric that sounds throwaway, but is a bit deeper when you look at it...so you'd think it'd be a song to unite all the different fans...but then again this is Interference, it we didn't have some serious differences, then I'd wonder if this forum was even alive...:yes:

the only gripe i have with the song is bono's soft, somewhat whiny voice. this is one of the heaviest song's you've ever written, STOP SINGING LIKE YOU'RE SINGING A LULABYE!
imagine during the "rapping" verses he was half singing half shouting like god part II. that would be badass.

When I compare it to WOWY... I'm saying that I enjoy more listen to Boots. Cause I think it's really weird to compare those songs musically. I wasn't clear on that, sorry. Of course, there will be moments in my life I'll enjoy WOWY more. But Boots is just good at almost any time. :wink:

Understood...

Again, I said "best lead single"

It's so hard for you guys to deal with someone that likes something you don't?
Just asking.

I know that certain musical appeals can come down to personal tastes, but this is probably the first song in the world that is almost "objectively" poor. There are those that acknowledge it sucks, and those that lie to themselves. I think Get your boots on can be scientifically poven to be shit.

(I'm half joking but not really)

I'm certainly not trollling or anything, I love U2, but am finding it hard to hide the dissapointment I feel right now. I remain optimistic about the rest of the album though, it can't be any worse.

This song is 'The Fly' and 'Discotheque' wrapped up by a 'Vertigo' type lyric...I think it has something for every U2 fan. Great riff, experimental and cool lyric that sounds throwaway, but is a bit deeper when you look at it...but then again this is Interference, it we didn't have some serious differences, then I'd wonder if this forum was even alive...:yes:

i think that's one of the better ways to put it. i can see the comparisons to "Vertigo" in the verses, but the rest of the song takes off in a completely different direction.

the only gripe i have with the song is bono's soft, somewhat whiny voice. this is one of the heaviest song's you've ever written, STOP SINGING LIKE YOU'RE SINGING A LULABYE!
imagine during the "rapping" verses he was half singing half shouting like god part II. that would be badass.

You know, this could be a big part of my problem with the song as well.. hmm

it's an alright song, I enjoy it, but i wasn't blown away by it. just comparing it to the recent lead singles, it doesn't have the uplifting atmospherics of beautiful day or the crazy rockness of vertigo. I flipped out the first time I heard vertigo, I didn't for get on your boots. but it's fun, I bet it will be cool live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom