OFFICIAL - New Album Delayed Until 2009

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed! :up: I can wait to 2010 for the tour if it means that kind of album. Also, it gives me more time to save money for the tour. :)

I think they will still tour 2009 though even with this delay..

I admit I am disappointed about this delay but if it means a awesome album then I can wait a few months.

So album comes out in March, it only sells 5 million, U2 freak out and make ATYCLB part 3; well you guys might finally be getting your Pop Part 2 :wink:

After all those sessions, after all that U2 went through in its history (after the blitzkrieg process in Zooropa), after all the experience that U2 has as qualified musicians, I still can't believe that 2 years after Vertigo Tour ended (and they even had a gap of 9 months in which they only presented: a cover and an average but pleasant pop tune) are not enough to write and to record 15 great songs! It's getting ridiculous.

U2 do what they want and don't have compromises with the public?
Of course they do! More than being a band, more than being artists... U2 is a product, U2 is a factory! It is U2 (thanks McGuinness!) that market theirselves like that - now the fans wash their hands from this, it's U2's fault.
If 4 years between albums was ridiculous, even more ridiculous is 4 years and a half!

I think of two options:

1) U2 really entered the Rolling Stones/dinossaurs phase, where the creativity is gone and the lazyness and cashgrabbing came to stay;
2) U2 is afraid of not topping the world charts because of concurrence and because of the new acts. Come on! If U2 members want, they easily can put bands like The Flaming Lips, Coldplay, The Arcade Fire or Franz Ferdinand (I'm only reffering few popular acts for this decade) in a corner with something minimally original and cool. Maybe then, they could top the charts and stay relevant to fullfil their egos once again.

jimjim...U2 don't have to worry about any of those bands....U2 is the most popular band in the world, I have no idea what you're talking about haha...

anyway.....FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

i might be playing the blind fanatic, but thes are beautiful lines... heavy poetic stuff... let's hope that the inspiration for the lyrics is as good as for interviews

Ha, yes. The news is so disappointing it kind of overshadowed the fact that Bono says some really good and funny stuff. Reminds me of the Rolling Stone blog comment thing about Boy.

:sigh: does this mean we'll have to endure the random threads in EYKIW for a few months longer??? daaaaaaaaaaaamn man!

:crack: just release the bugger already!

The "U2 isn't releasing the album in November because they're scared of not topping the charts" argument is ridiculous. All of the remotely hyped albums I know of are coming out in October. The Killers probably won't even get theirs out this year.

No, U2 isn't selling out. They just feel like pressing buttons and screwing around in the studio for a while, much to our chagrin.

Yes. It's called optimism.

Sorry, I was going for the cheap laugh.

Fair enough. You want optimism, how's this for optimism:

But while Bono is itching to get the music out he says it’s going to be early 2009 when we first get to hear the songs.

‘I’m always the one who underestimates how easy it is to simply 'put out the songs now', if it was just up to me they’d be out already! But early next year people will be able to start hearing what we’ve been doing. We want 2009 to be our year, so we’re going to start making an impression very early on …’

Translation: He won't be able to resist blasting his stereo in Eze - MORE BEACH CLIPS COMING!

2) U2 is afraid of not topping the world charts because of concurrence and because of the new acts. Come on! If U2 members want, they easily can put bands like The Flaming Lips, Coldplay, The Arcade Fire or Franz Ferdinand (I'm only reffering few popular acts for this decade) in a corner with something minimally original and cool. Maybe then, they could top the charts and stay relevant to fullfil their egos once again.

Not releasing in November will probably mean they'll be outsold by any band who does release a semi-big album then so I really doubt it is that

And seriously Flaming Lips? Arcade Fire? Those bands can't even sell overall what U2 can in a week

Ha! There goes the Nov 18 date.

1) So I guess the dissent in the camp over pre of post Christmas release was U2 vs McGuiness.

2) THANKS for clearing it up, U2. Little less "it's gotta be our best or what's the point" shtick though - we heard that for Bomb already.

3) WHAT was up with all the July talk about finishing the album ? :mad: "Final mixes, only thing left is Bono's vocals" blah blah

4) It's more like making a great album and putting the best stuff on it - I doubt in a double U2 album.

5) But early next year people will be able to start hearing what we’ve been doing. We want 2009 to be our year, so we’re going to start making an impression very early on …’

Can you say a single early 2009 and Spring album/tour ?

6) ‘When we set out on this record it was Larry who came up with the plan not to have a plan. He put up this idea that wouldn’t it be great just to make music for its own sake, not for the purpose of a live show or on album but just to see what we’re capable of…’ No way, the cash grabbing, cold blooded calculative member said that ? :sad:

On a side note, It's actually good to seem them not caring about the Grammy deadlines or Christmas sales for a change... that is of course assuming this album doesn't end up coming out November 2009. :|

Haha, yeah. I wish.

"But early next year people will be able to start hearing what we’ve been doing. We want 2009 to be our year, so we’re going to start making an impression very early" yup, sounds like a single to me.

On a side note, It's actually good to seem them not caring about the Grammy deadlines or Christmas sales for a change... that is of course assuming this album doesn't end up coming out November 2009. :|

I think what people are worried about is that the band still want Christmas sales and Grammy deadlines so they will hold off releasing the album until November. So yeah if it does come out in early 2009 I'd say the band delayed for quality reasons, if it's November then...

"But early next year people will be able to start hearing what we’ve been doing. We want 2009 to be our year, so we’re going to start making an impression very early" yup, sounds like a single to me.

Listen, there's no reason to even speculate about this until at least January. Bono has just pushed things back four months with this piece of news, and now there's nothing at all to do but wait.

Well, that and buy the UABRS remaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom