2001 Interferencer of the Year: U2LA!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Bama

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I realize Flying Padre or someone set up a handle of "Inteferencer of the Year" and took votes or something like that, but this is different. This is not a "popularity contest" or an election, but moreless my autonomous award which, like the "Interferencer of the Month" awards, I give out to people who conduct themselves in a classy manner (like a football player who helps up the opponent whom he just tackled) and/or go out of their way to help a fellow member of the web-based community known as www.interference.com.

When I joined this forum in October, 2000, U2 was getting ready to release ATYCLB, the U.S. was getting ready to elect a new President, and all kinds of things were happening. Much excitement over the new album, much vitriol over politics, and other elements that can be expected.

I had the occasion to exchange a few posts here and there with a fellow by the name of U2LA on many topics. I remember something about him going to one of the U2 promo shows at an LA radio station or something like that and I could tell he was a huge fan. I also recall him mentioning that he had attended a Democratic convention, which, considering I lean to the Republican side, one may think this an area of controversy. Not so with U2LA.

I quickly realized that people do not always address him as "U2LA" but more often by his real name, Camilo. This is because he is someone who extends the spirit of friendship to anyone, and he becomes more than a "screen name" on the internet.

As the heat turned up int he political threads of "Free Your Mind," Camilo decided not to post in that forum, he chose to "Walk On," something which I can only wish I had the patience and discipline to do. As much as I like to state my opinions in that forum civilly, I sometimes fail. And even if I remain civil, the process of reading some of the posts in that forum alone makes a visit unpleasurable. Camilo was never one to stick around when such threads got too heated, and that is admirable. And when someone disagreed with him, he debated in a classy manner. Also, when someone would post FYM-type threads in any other forums, he would often suggest, in a classy manner, that they take it to FYM, even if they were making a statement he agreed with politically.

Camilo has helped many U2 fans with his MP3 resources through the last couple of years; heck, he has even helped at least one interferencer with the arduous task of replenishing a misplaced U2 album collection. Personally I don't collect MP3s and have never been the beneficiary of his resources, but the statements of other interferencers who have says enough.

In closing, I must concede something and apologize for something: a few months ago, U2LA replied on one of my Interferencer of the Month awards that he "usually" doesn't like such threads but that the recipient that month (BabyGrace? zoomerang96?) was truly deserving of it. Camilo, I hope you inderstand that this award is not a popularity contest or a deathbear/dethveggy electioneering stunt, but this is truly based on my personal observations. It is entirely autonomous on my part (I am usually opposed to autonomy as an alternative to democracy, but this is different).

The REAL 2001 Interferencer of the Year Award (or "Bammie" as they are now being called) goes to Camilo, aka U2LA. Congratulations!

~U2Alabama

U2LA was the only person to receive CK goodies via the USPS. Wish he would post more, though.

CK

[This message has been edited by TheU2 (edited 01-13-2002).]

Originally posted by TheU2:
U2LA was the only person to receive CK goodies via the USPS. Wish he would post more, though.

CK

And no, it wasn't Anthrax.

CK again

Ah, It's time for that good ol' Bammie Awards again eh?

Kudos to you Camilo, Kudos.

I wish you only the best.. Even though you slept with my girlfriend, and bamboozled me out of my Imported Pomegranite Scented Soaps in an internet fraud scandal....

Haha.. nothing like good ol' slander.

Cheers U2LA, I've been a big fan of your website, and the Dainful Class you bring to this webboard.... er.. Chatboard as it's referred to Down Under... and ya'll know what i'm talking about.. hernh-hernh-hernh (Yes that is a constipated laugh).. Yah, I've got your Down Under Right Here.

L. Unplugged

it's the bummer awards!!!!!!

but I do agree, so here's to u2la
smile.gif

congratulations, i guess, U2LA.

------------------
)|( Vande )|(

"Rock 'n' roll is a term that's been heavily abused. It's not
something you can buy in a record shop. It's an attitude." -Adam

"And I wear grey underwear." -Bono

Everyday can be a beautiful day. Don't let it get away.

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

It?s cold outside, but brightly lit...

Wow! As I've said before these kind of things make me feel weird (never been one for awards or stuff like this) but I can't ignore this either, I think it is the most someone has ever written about me since I was in High School (and that wasnt all nice! lol).

Just a big thank you U2Bama for taking the time to write all this.

and hey CK (and others who have mentioned about my lack of posting in the past) yeah, I know I don't post as much and it's really weird now but I have Internet ADD (not a real condition, YET) and my focus on the net is always changing but I am sure I'll be around more in the future as the Grammys get closer and more news of the new album comes out.

As most of you know I have been a U2 fan since 1983 and normally between albums and tours my fanaticism would go into dormancy...but now, it seems like the internet does not allow that to happen. There is always some sort of news or excitement or something to learn. I am not used to staying in fan mode even when there is not a tour or something. The only thing going on right now regarding U2 is the Grammys and the fact they are making an album and touring Europe in Summer. Now I wait for word on a possible release date...

Ok so what I am trying to say is I am not used to coming here (to Interference) as often unless their is a tour happening or something but I still come here a little often. I recently discovered the Goal is Soul forum and have been able to share a little there.

Oh and regarding U2LA.com, I have had to go through some interesting debates with certain people regarding my mp3 site, believe it or not, there are people that resent me hosting full shows, it even got me banned from a U2 group! That is something I remain passionate and busy about, and that is the free sharing of U2 mp3s...but anyway, lets not get controversial!

Thanks again...

------------------
Camilo Arenivar

Email: U2LA2000@hotmail.com

AOL Instant Message: nohocamilo

Yahoo Messenger: u2la2000

http://www.U2LA.com

good choice, as I've said before U2LA is a one person I admire and respect as much as anyone here, but now can we take a break from all of these sort of threads for a while?

One of the nicest persons here, way to go U2LA!

------------------

be uncool, yes be awkward

3 cheers for U2LA!!!! Yayyyy!
What Bama said about him is most certainly true! He deserves it.
smile.gif

I met him in April, and it is thanks to him that i got to meet *Larry* !!Hee hee !
wink.gif

I hope things are much better for ya now, Camilo. Take care and keep up the good work.

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

Well tonight thank God it's them, instead of you...

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
good choice, as I've said before U2LA is a one person I admire and respect as much as anyone here, but now can we take a break from all of these sort of threads for a while?
congrats U2LA

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by U2girl:
One of the nicest persons here, way to go U2LA!

Do you think I'm nice? YAGA YAGA!

------------------
Look what you did, you little JERK!

Kevin! You're such a disease!

U2LA is a great friend and someone whom I'm proud to know. His contributions to Interference and to the U2 fan community in general (how bout all those MP3???
biggrin.gif
) are greatly appreciated. Love ya, Camillo!

-sula

biggrin.gif

Thanks for all your good advice Camilo and for putting the music out there. You rock!

Peace

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

No need to thank me, U2LA; I'm just telling you like it is. You deserve it and it's all true!

And The Wanderer, I do apologize for posting 3 awards in an hour's time; I procrastinated during the holidays and put them off long enough; the next one won't be until mid-February, and it will only be the single "monthly" award.

~U2Alabama

Congrats, I do remember those debates and I also admired your discipline. Vert deserving indeed.
-Marina

------------------
Long live the lemon!!!

Oh no-I forgot to reply to this one.

Yes-thanks U2LA for your generousity in sharing all your wonderful mp3's with us, and for all the work you put into your site. I like your movie reviews too.
smile.gif

And I came up with the 'bammies' name-will I get a consolation prize for that?
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Actually now that I think of it "Bammies" is actually a real award I believe.
In San Francisco, they have the Bay Area Music Awards...which if memory serves are nicknamed the Bammies.

Originally posted by mikal:
Do you think I'm nice? YAGA YAGA!

yaga yaga ?

Of course you're nice.

------------------

be uncool, yes be awkward

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 01-15-2002).]

Originally posted by Hewson:
Actually now that I think of it "Bammies" is actually a real award I believe.
In San Francisco, they have the Bay Area Music Awards...which if memory serves are nicknamed the Bammies.

You are absolutely correct Hewson! Having lived for 25 years in the Bay Area, thats exactly what I thought of when Bama said Bammies!

[This message has been edited by U2LA (edited 01-15-2002).]

hello all but especially camilo.

i have been awarded to camilo. a good choice!

camilo i have e-mailed you all details on my hotmail account and username. i am yours know. have fun and keep up the good work!

Originally posted by Interferencer of the Year:
hello all but especially camilo.

i have been awarded to camilo. a good choice!

camilo i have e-mailed you all details on my hotmail account and username. i am yours know. have fun and keep up the good work!

ok this is silly now but I have the instructions and will follow accordingly...did you do this Zoomerang?? I emailed a reply to YOUR hotmail assuming you did...

P.S. Does this make me a multiple identity person now? oh noooooooo

Back
Top Bottom