Top Films of the Decade - The 1990s - Voting Thread - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2007, 11:02 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:43 PM
LMP - It's a great alternate view of Hamlet, and Oldman & Roth are terrific together. They play off each other really well, it's hard to believe they hadn't been together before, and I found it darn funny. The scientific breakthroughs Oldman makes throughout the film, yet always ending up being blown off by Roth, are a riot. A fun film that I would recommend checking out.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:09 PM   #47
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:43 PM
It'll be on a NetFlix triple bill with Glengarry Glen Ross and The French Connection.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:13 PM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:43 AM
I'm going to try to make a decent list now:

1. The Insider
2. Pulp Fiction
3. The Shawshank Redemption
4. American Beauty
5. Magnolia
6. The Age Of Innocence
7. Princess Mononoke
8. Terminator 2: Judgment Day
9. Schindler's List
10. Fargo
11. Leon: The Professional
12. Boogie Nights
13. Toy Story
14. The Matrix
15. The Sixth Sense

Bleck. I'll never be satisfied.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:11 AM   #49
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:43 PM
hardyharhar: yes, we can agree to disagree, but I think you're tremendously oversimplifying EWS, and your longer explanation doesn't help matters. Let's break down your issues with the film:

Pointless: well, that's not really for you to say, is it? The film is certainly about something, namely the problems that couples face as their relationship grows. It's based on a turn-of-the-century story by a fairly esteemed author, and while I don't think you need to read it to understand the film, it certainly backs up the notion of the film having more than sex fantasies on its mind.

Boring: of course, anyone's entitled to this opinion with any film, though if you had the patience for Barry Lyndon I'm surprised you had trouble with this one. Which makes me wonder, if it was so boring, how were you able to watch it 20+ times? Were you strapped to a chair like Alex DeLarge?

Bad Acting: Well, again, I don't think anyone believed this a tour de force for Tom Cruise, but I don't know that he killed the film. If you didn't buy Kidman's marijuana-induced confession, then I guess that's a point of dispute, because I thought that monologue, along with her retelling of the dream later in the film, is some of the best stuff she's put to film. As for the others, only Sydney Pollack has a significant role and I thought he was subtlely menacing.

Annoying music: I found the repeating piano note absolutely chilling throughout the film, especially when Cruise is followed downtown by the strange man. I can easily see how one would find it grating.

Cinematography: This to me is one of the film's greatest strength, and if you're going to criticize this it's hard to believe you're approaching the film objectively at all. Aside from Barry Lyndon, those other Kubrick films you mentioned aren't very special in that department. What Kubrick achieved here, that gauzy, dreamy atmosphere, is what drove the whole thing home for me. Ask yourself this question: can you name another film from 1999 that looked anything like that? how about from another recent year in memory? how about any film at all?

Ratings Cuts: If you want to see the "unaltered" version, all you have to do is get the Canadian DVD release, and if I'm not mistaken the cut will soon be available in the U.S. as well. Kubrick's contract with Warner Bros. specified that he deliver an R-rated film; it's a concession he made a long time ago. And while he was notorious for altering his films very close to the release date, to imply that this film is not what he wanted is pure supposition with no basis in fact. All we know is that Kubrick DID assemble this cut, and not some producer, or Tom Cruise, or the Church of Scientology. Considering this was so long in the making, and possibly his most personal film, I'm convinced that this is what he wanted people to see, black bars over t & a or no.

But let's get back to the most important thing: the thematic content. More than any other Kubrick film, this is a picture that affects each person differently based on what they bring to it from their own personal life. It causes you to look at your actions and the actions of a significant other in an entirely different light, re-examining the notions of fidelity, trust, honesty, and the open-ended question stated in the film: "Is a dream ever really just a dream?"

There are many interpretations of this film that I've read (my favorite is that each woman in the film represents a different aspect of his wife, and how he must reconcile all those parts before he can accept her again), but the bottom line is that it certainly isn't meant to be taken literally. The idea that the sex party is unrealistic and over the top, or that the New York portrayed in the film is nothing like the real city, these things are beside the point because the exposition is in the head of the main character as much as it is in Mulholland Drive. And your reference to meaningless sex is noteworthy-Cruise's character is the only one who doesn't indulge in it. His wife's fantasy has rendered him impotent to every woman he comes across throughout the film, and his exposure/unmasking at the party is simply a broad illustration of that idea, humiliated just as he is in his wife's dream.

While the film was derided upon its release by many critics (especially Pauline Kael disciples who likely had their knives sharpened before this even came out), enough has been written about it to suggest that there is a lot to chew on here. The way you dismiss it makes you sound like a jilted, jealous lover yourself, angry that the uncompromising genius who gave you 2001 and Clockwork stooped to the level of working with Mr. & Mrs. Hollywood.

If it makes you feel any better, the film helped break up their marriage.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:13 AM   #50
Blue Crack Supplier

Having said all that, Hardyharhar, I enjoyed your list and am glad you mentioned Branagh's Hamlet, which I totally overlooked. Inexcusable as it was FINALLY released on DVD after a nearly 10 year wait.

Need to get that ASAP.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:16 AM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

Eyes Wide Shut is second in line on my netflix queue.

Too bad my school loses about a out of every 3 discs they send me.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:31 AM   #52
Blue Crack Supplier

You haven't seen it yet?!?!
Old 10-09-2007, 12:37 AM   #53
Blue Crack Supplier

Has anyone put Unforgiven on their list?????
Old 10-09-2007, 12:38 AM   #54
Refugee

Local Time: 11:43 PM
1. Braveheart
2. Saving Private Ryan
3. Bram Stoker's Dracula
4. Air Force One
5. Tombstone
6. Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
7. The Rock
8. The Matrix
9. Under Seige
10. The Patriot
11. Independence Day
12. Die Hard II
13. Tommy Boy
14. Resevoir Dogs
15. The Fugitive

Still sick to this day TPM wasn't good enough to crack the top 5.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:48 AM   #55
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowlock
1. Braveheart
2. Saving Private Ryan
3. Bram Stoker's Dracula lol
4. Air Force One lol
5. Tombstone
6. Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
7. The Rock lol
8. The Matrix
9. Under Seige LOL
10. The Patriot epic lulz
11. Independence Day roland emmerick FTWTF
12. Die Hard II wow
13. Tommy Boy
14. Resevoir Dogs
15. The Fugitive

Personal taste, blah blah, yeah I know. But this is a list of the greatest films of the decade. And a lot of this stuff is just too damn funny not to mention.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:48 AM   #56
Blue Crack Supplier

My disclaimer is that I don't know a fucking thing about film, but here is my list:

1) Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
2) Unforgiven
3) Fargo
4) The Insider
5) Fight Club
6) Boogie Nights
7) Goodfellas
8) Eyes Wide Shut
9) Magnolia
10) Silence of the Lambs
11) The Fugitive
12) LA Confidential
13) 12 Monkeys
14) Shawshank Redemption
15) Minority Repot
Old 10-09-2007, 12:50 AM   #57
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowlock
I think Lance is gonna be sick too...

Nice to see a mention of Bram Stoker's Dracula. I think the script is a bit uneven, and the acting aside from the title character is questionable, but brilliant filmmaking and Oldman was Oscar worthy.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:52 AM   #58
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc

Personal taste, blah blah, yeah I know. But this is a list of the greatest films of the decade. And a lot of this stuff is just too damn funny not to mention.
And you said NOTHING about Tommy Boy?!?!

Double FTWTF!
Old 10-09-2007, 12:52 AM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:43 PM
Well, that's a lot of words you put in my mouth.

I watched it many times because I am a Kubrick fan, and because it was on HBO (or whichever movie channel) a lot for months, so I kept checking it out. See if I was missing something. I wasn't.

I expected to enjoy the film because there isn't any Kubrick I don't like. Working with "Mr & Mrs. Hollywood" never even entered the equation. And I didn't know it broke Tom & Nicole up, what did I say to make you think I would be glad?

The film is about problems couples face, now that's a novel idea. Very pedestrian. And that is something I can say.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:53 AM   #60
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by No spoken words
My disclaimer is that I don't know a fucking thing about film, but here is my list:

1) Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
2) Unforgiven
3) Fargo
4) The Insider
5) Fight Club
6) Boogie Nights
7) Goodfellas
8) Eyes Wide Shut
9) Magnolia
10) Silence of the Lambs
11) The Fugitive
12) LA Confidential
13) 12 Monkeys
14) Shawshank Redemption
15) Minority Repot

I like your list, NSW, but Minority Report and Crouching Tiger are both from the 00's. So you get two more picks!