The Super Terrific MLB Thread - Part 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
randhail said:
really wish I had NESN right now...it's too bad southwestern ct doesn't qualify as new england.

Tell me about it. We have YES and Yankees Classic in Indianapolis, but typically Red Sox games are blocked out.

Last edited:
It's a damn good time to be a Boston sports fan.

It's hard to believe something could happen to overshadow Tom Brady's 6 TD performance, and a first-ever 7-0 start for the Patriots.

I've got to learn some more about these Rockies. Looking at the stats, it doesn't seem like they have great pitching, but somehow they're putting it together to win 20 out of 21 games. Looks like they've got plenty of offensive firepower.

The Rockies' lineup is a bit like Cleveland's. Lot of young guys, lot of guys who hit for power and strike out a lot.

Pitching-wise, they have a pretty good bullpen, Their real weakness is the lack of a true ace -- all their starters had ERAs in the 4's, and that's playing in the NL in a pitchers' park (yes, Coors Field has turned into a pitchers' park now that they've started storing the baseballs in a humidor and dampening them down).

:dance:

What a blast. I was standing up and rocking back and forth with excitement from the 7th on. I don't know if you could hear it on the TV, but after we went up 9-2 we started singing "hey hey goodbye." And about 8 people brought signs saying "cleveland towels are for crying." Papelbon's river dance is great, I hope they showed it on NESN for those of you who get it. I took a video off the jumbotron and I just might finally get a youtube account for it. Also, he is such a frat boy, he poured a can of beer over the trophy:

1193029757_1601.jpg

The guy who has a pair of seats next to us (who usually shows in the 4th and leaves in the 7th) never came. I couldn't believe it. :mad:

Now I have to go back to school to go to 3 classes, then back to Boston (and skip 4 classes....:gulp:)

I'm bringing goggles to games 6 and 7. I don't think the series will end with us winning in Colorado, we suck in that park and the Rockies are a good team. I think it's either Colorado in 5 or Boston in 7.

Varitek said:
:
The guy who has a pair of seats next to us (who usually shows in the 4th and leaves in the 7th) never came. I couldn't believe it. :mad:

Seriously? I HATE people like that. Sell those damn tickets.

(just my luck, we're gonna find out that he wasn't there because he was visiting his sister in the hospital because he didn't want her to be alone on this night ...)

Dalton said:

(just my luck, we're gonna find out that he wasn't there because he was visiting his sister in the hospital because he didn't want her to be alone on this night ...)
She didn't want to spend her last hours without her beloved brother and their dog Scraps.

speedracer said:
The Rockies' lineup is a bit like Cleveland's. Lot of young guys, lot of guys who hit for power and strike out a lot.

Pitching-wise, they have a pretty good bullpen, Their real weakness is the lack of a true ace -- all their starters had ERAs in the 4's, and that's playing in the NL in a pitchers' park (yes, Coors Field has turned into a pitchers' park now that they've started storing the baseballs in a humidor and dampening them down).

It's a weakness, but unbelievably, it's been their pitching that has carried them in the playoffs so far and not that lineup.

Varitek said:
:dance:
I don't know if you could hear it on the TV, but after we went up 9-2 we started singing "hey hey goodbye."

You could hear it on TV and I was singing along. :D My brother who wrote them off after Game 4 started sending me frantic text messages at that point that he was about to have a heart attack.

I loved Papi with his goggles on before the 9th inning was over.

Now I'm just hoping that I don't have to work all nights for the next week and a half and I can watch most of the games.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i wonder if, now that it's been proven that the humidor and dampening of balls (hehehe) has, indeed, turned coors field into a pitchers park if pitchers will be more inclined to sign with colorado as free agents. :hmm:

It may be a pitcher's park now, but that still doesn't make me feel good about Dice-K pitching there.

Weren't Wakefield and Schilling the only guys they said were unavailable last night?
Makes me think the back is an issue again and Lester or Tavarez may start game 4.

If Wake is OK I think he might actually do well in Coors. Seems like the humidor would help the knuckler.

Hewson said:
I hope he is OK, but am curious as to why during Pregame Fox said the only guys not available were Schilling and Wakefield.

I didn't hear that, so I'm not sure. Perhaps they are saving him.

If he's ok, he'll start Game 3 and then Game 7 if it gets that far. If not, then you're right, it will be Dice-K in 3 and 7 and perhaps Lester or Tavarez in Game 4.

Better yet, with this being the absolute end of the year, I'd pitch Beckett in 1, 4, and 7.

CTU2fan said:
If Wake is OK I think he might actually do well in Coors. Seems like the humidor would help the knuckler.

I disagree. The main reason the knuckleball tumbles is because of the airflow around the seams. I think the thinner air in Denver would diminish the knuckleball's effectiveness.

phanan said:

Better yet, with this being the absolute end of the year, I'd pitch Beckett in 1, 4, and 7.

There's no extra off-day in the World Series schedule; if Beckett did this, he'd be pitching on 3 days' rest for Games 4 and 7. I know Schilling pulled it off in 2001, but I doubt Terry Francona would do this unless Boston were down 3-0. They'll probably just pitch Beckett in Games 1 and 5 and use him out of the bullpen in Game 6/7 if necessary.

It's almost a guarantee that Francona won't do it, but I would if it were up to me, unless the Sox were up 3-0 by then. He's the ace. Go with your best. Didn't seem to hurt Beckett back in 2003.

If a base is stolen during regulation or extra innings play by any player for either team in the 2007 MLB World Series, Taco Bell® will offer every person in the U.S. the opportunity to obtain one (1) free Crunchy Seasoned Beef Taco (Approximate Retail Value 77¢, prices may vary) at participating Taco Bell® restaurants in the United States on the date designated herein. Eligible consumers can obtain their free Crunchy Seasoned Beef Taco on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 (if base is stolen in Games 1 or 2 on October 24 or October 25, 2007) OR November 6, 2007 (if base is stolen in Games 3-7, October 27, 28, 29, 31, November 1, 2007) ("Redemption Date") only. To obtain the Free Taco, consumers must visit any participating Taco Bell® restaurant in one of the fifty (50) the United States or District of Columbia between 2:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. (local time) on the Redemption Date only and request a Free Crunchy Seasoned Beef Taco. Limit one (1) Free Crunchy Season Beef Taco per person. Void where prohibited. Offer valid at participating Taco Bell® locations. ©2007 Taco Bell Corp.

:hi5:

Mmm, tacos. Expect Jacoby Ellsbury to stay in CF, so more steal opportunities. How is Norbit's throwing arm?

(And please tell me I'm not the only one who calls Torrealba 'Norbit')

I love the taco promotion.

The timberwolves used to have something similar back in the day (as well as many NBA teams). If they scored 100 points, every one in attendance would get a coupon for a free hard-shell taco.

Terry Porter used to nail threes to get the score up to 100...we would chant "TACO PORTER!"

Go Red Sox! I prefer SOCKTOBER to ROCKTOBER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom