The Ouagadougou Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
major_panic said:

If it's not I can probably go and write it down for you.

Bands play for around 45 mins, an hour as far as I know. And you get a free sausage! And if you're a union member, you get as many free sausages as you want, and apparently beer too!

Damn, I've got to get around to joining that union.

Just did some Googling to try to find a schedule but my Google powers are failing me so far. Maybe we could head over after the lecture on Thursday. :wink:

Though it would suck if there's something good Tuesday this week and I miss it, heh. And it sucks to know I missed out on this for an entire year! :mad:

I really see no use in joining the union. Far too much money for precious few benefits. My first semester of uni was the last before VSU, and I basically paid $100 or whatever for nothing. I'm very, very happy about VSU.

Axver said:

I really see no use in joining the union. Far too much money for precious few benefits. My first semester of uni was the last before VSU, and I basically paid $100 or whatever for nothing. I'm very, very happy about VSU.

Fair enough. For those of us involved in clubs though, we've really gotta fight to get money for the clubs to run well.

And come on, free snags and beer on Tuesday afternoons! :drool:

coolian2 said:

What's happening at the Domain on the 11th?

I know nothing about what happens in my city.

:lmao: nothing exciting. I have to go to Birthcare to see my back surgeon to get my bionicness checked out....is it me or is it just a tad WRONG to be going to a birthing place for a back surgeon? :yikes:

Axver said:

Just did some Googling to try to find a schedule but my Google powers are failing me so far. Maybe we could head over after the lecture on Thursday. :wink:

Though it would suck if there's something good Tuesday this week and I miss it, heh. And it sucks to know I missed out on this for an entire year! :mad:

http://union.unimelb.edu.au/gigs/about-gigs-and-events

Try the list on the right. This Tuesday looks like... hmmm, not a band but "the Bedroom Philosopher". The name reminds me of Jen :wink:

major_panic said:

Fair enough. For those of us involved in clubs though, we've really gotta fight to get money for the clubs to run well.

And come on, free snags and beer on Tuesday afternoons! :drool:

Yeah, I've been thinking about joining debating ... I should ...

I'm down with free anything. :up:

coolian2 said:
I thought there was some type of crappy music in the domain thing.

I can't explain where surgeons work, that's just weird.

There's always some crappy music thing in the domain isn't there. :tsk:

coolian2 said:
And goodnight everyone.

See you tomorrow evening

See ya! Have fun at uni, or try to at any rate!

Melb Uni Debating Society is one of the best around I've heard - my high school debating coach came from MUDS and is apparently worshipped by the Monash debaters as a goddess (she's one of the top ten debaters in Australasia).

On a completely unrelated note, I'm starting to get into this "atmospheric metal" band called Nightwish. Really weird considering that I don't listen to metal at all, and most of my music is 70s, 80s or Christian-related bands! (Hah, U2 fall into two of those categories)

coolian2 said:

I don't think it had been there long. I'm glad i got it before it spent the night terrorising me.

And now i seriously must be off

I hate nothing more than one landing on me and SOMEONE ELSE'S blood is in it :yuck:

Axver said:

Cheers, thanks for that, having a look now.

Skipping Girl Vinegar (on the 1st of April) were pretty good last year, if you're into (and I quote)

"Beautifully crafted acoustic music that is honest and pure and radical (just like you might be) is not easy to find. Skipping Girl Vinegar can do it and everyone from Beat to Inpress to Triple J think that they do it with the best of them."

major_panic said:
On a completely unrelated note, I'm starting to get into this "atmospheric metal" band called Nightwish. Really weird considering that I don't listen to metal at all, and most of my music is 70s, 80s or Christian-related bands! (Hah, U2 fall into two of those categories)

Actually, Nightwish aren't atmospheric metal (that would be stuff like Agalloch, which is considerably different - think The Unforgettable Fire on metal); they're generally considered gothic metal. Not really my style, mainly because I don't like Tarja, their old vocalist. Far too operatic for my tastes.

major_panic said:
Melb Uni Debating Society is one of the best around I've heard - my high school debating coach came from MUDS and is apparently worshipped by the Monash debaters as a goddess (she's one of the top ten debaters in Australasia).

Wow, awesome.

I really need to overcome my shyness. I'm perfectly fine when I'm actually debating, but otherwise? Nope. In high school, I debated with the same team for three years, thought they were all fantastic people, but never struck up a friendship due to my shyness. I just debated. I really, really love debating.

Axver said:

Far too operatic for my tastes.

No, far too operatic is a drunk uncle unleashing his small hick town operatic singing skills onto unsuspecting wedding guests after the brides mother sung very awful karaoke love songs to the bride and groom....:yikes: That's mind scarring stuff.

Axver said:

Actually, Nightwish aren't atmospheric metal (that would be stuff like Agalloch, which is considerably different - think The Unforgettable Fire on metal); they're generally considered gothic metal. Not really my style, mainly because I don't like Tarja, their old vocalist. Far too operatic for my tastes.

Ahh fair enough. I have no idea about metal at all.

I've only listened to their latest album which has a new vocalist apparently - I'm more into their lyrics than anything else, which as an aspiring mediocre poet I find quite good:

"Caress the one, the never-fading
rain in your heart - the tears of snow-white sorrow
Caress the one, the hiding amaranth
In a land of the daybreak"

Gotta admit, working "amaranth" into a song deserves some points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom