The Ouagadougou Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axver said:

Wow, awesome.

I really need to overcome my shyness. I'm perfectly fine when I'm actually debating, but otherwise? Nope. In high school, I debated with the same team for three years, thought they were all fantastic people, but never struck up a friendship due to my shyness. I just debated. I really, really love debating.

I should get back into debating too, but I seriously haven't got any time at all. I absolutely enjoy it, too.

major_panic said:

Skipping Girl Vinegar (on the 1st of April) were pretty good last year, if you're into (and I quote)

"Beautifully crafted acoustic music that is honest and pure and radical (just like you might be) is not easy to find. Skipping Girl Vinegar can do it and everyone from Beat to Inpress to Triple J think that they do it with the best of them."

Ah, yeah, I saw that one, and Near Your House on 13/05 sound interesting as well.

:shifty: Jen....your status - Aussie Posse....so what are the Kiwi's?? If Ian's carry on is anything to go by, it might have to be the Kiwi Peewee's......:ohmy:

major_panic said:
Ahh fair enough. I have no idea about metal at all.

I've only listened to their latest album which has a new vocalist apparently - I'm more into their lyrics than anything else, which as an aspiring mediocre poet I find quite good:

"Caress the one, the never-fading
rain in your heart - the tears of snow-white sorrow
Caress the one, the hiding amaranth
In a land of the daybreak"

Gotta admit, working "amaranth" into a song deserves some points.

Wow, yeah, points for that. I've not heard their new album yet, though I hear it's quite good and might be more up my alley than their old stuff.

I'm quite into some sides of metal: atmospheric, black, doom, progressive death, and post-metal. The aesthetic is without doubt an acquired taste, but when it's done well, I think it's one of the most brilliant artistic expressions. I can't stand the juvenile kinds of thrash metal that most people in the mainstream know. But I worship bands like Agalloch and Orphaned Land. Orphaned Land are this Israeli band who did a fantastic album weaving together the Jewish, Christian, and Muslim traditions of Noah's Flood. Great examination of their cultural-religious heritage.

mysterious_jen said:
wheres the next thread going to be ???

Good question! Anyone? There's an island in Micronesia called "Yap" if I recall correctly, but my geography is generally terrible. The only reason I did well in class was because my geography teacher used to play in a band called the Triffids, whose music I quite enjoy!

gluey said:
:shifty: Jen....your status - Aussie Posse....so what are the Kiwi's?? If Ian's carry on is anything to go by, it might have to be the Kiwi Peewee's......:ohmy:

:lmao:

hehehehehehhehehe

NZ and wild are honorary posse memebers
so bend over. :evil:

Axver said:

But I worship bands like Agalloch and Orphaned Land. Orphaned Land are this Israeli band who did a fantastic album weaving together the Jewish, Christian, and Muslim traditions of Noah's Flood. Great examination of their cultural-religious heritage.

That's cool. Gotta check them out when I get around to downloading stuff later.

mysterious_jen said:
wheres the next thread going to be ???

The Dominican Republic. You know that anonymous dickweed commenting on my LJ about the Kunstmuseum gig? We traced their IP. Each of their five comments has a different IP and we think they're using an IP masker - three trace to the Dominican Republic, Dubai, and Toronto respectively, while I couldn't trace the remaining two. So now we know where the next three threads will be! :lol:

major_panic said:

Good question! Anyone? There's an island in Micronesia called "Yap" if I recall correctly, but my geography is generally terrible. The only reason I did well in class was because my geography teacher used to play in a band called the Triffids, whose music I quite enjoy!

I still want to see Titicaca in Bolivia.

major_panic said:

Wait, wait, your geography teacher was in The Triffids, as in the band who did the album Born Sandy Devotional? I used Wide Open Road in the last B&C Desert Island tournament!

Also, I've heard of Yap too.

mysterious_jen said:

:lmao:

hehehehehehhehehe

NZ and wild are honorary posse memebers
so bend over. :evil:

Well thanks but Jen , you know it's YOU that end over for ME
Violence37.gif

Axver said:

Wait, wait, your geography teacher was in The Triffids, as in the band who did the album Born Sandy Devotional? I used Wide Open Road in the last B&C Desert Island tournament!

Also, I've heard of Yap too.

Yep, that's right! My geo teacher was Dave McComb's brother - Rob, who played violin and electric guitar on the albums. Damn, I love Born Sandy Devotional... As you can see, I'm a sucker for clever and well-written lyrics.

"There's someone standing in the rain like they have no place to go
Maybe that someone is you, maybe someone you don't aim to know
Maybe lost possessions
Maybe stolen property
You just lie around waiting on a signal from heaven
Never had to heal any deep incision
Darling you are not moving any mountains
You are not seeing any visions
You are not freeing any people from prison
Just an aphorism for every occasion
As if the only thing that ever matters
is your place at the table