The 2008 MLB Thread - Page 48 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2008, 11:39 AM   #706
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTU2fan View Post
I've seen it a few times. That was really a classic series but the Sox throwing up all over themselves kinda overshadows everything else. I was 15 at the time and I was really too young to have really understood how bad '78 was, so my first dose of Sox misery was that series. So basically, it's game 6, 10th inning, Sox up 5-3 and I'm like Bambi prancing through the woods before Mom gets shot. I'm sitting there like "ooh the Sox are going to win the WS, ooh ooh ooh" and then the hits are coming and I'm like "what the hell" and then the wild pitch, and Mookie's grounder, and presto I'm Bambi after Mom gets shot. Ugh.
the video clip they show of buckner, before the world series began mind you, stating that "the dream is that you get the hit to win it all, and the nightmares are that you let the winning run go through your legs" is a classic "ooooooo no he really didn't say that did he?" moment.

the 86 mets are iconic figures... probably why we met fans are so hard on this current team so much, as they're about the polar opposites, personality wise, of that 86 team.

i think billy wagner & pedro would be the only guys who's personality would fit right in with the '86 team... while gary carter could probably fit in well with this team, he of the uber douche "look at me i'm so pretty and awesome personality." great player, though.

the 86 mets were very similar to the '04 red sox, i must say... at least personality wise.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:45 PM   #707
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:35 AM
The Fall of 1986 was, easily, the worst sports related time of my life. I was 15, so, thsi was close to the height of my sports dork-dom. So, what could be more fun for a Yankees fan than having the Mets take on the Sox in the World Series. I had no idea what to do, where to go, how to react, etc. You know how when you have no rooting interest in a game, then you sit down to watch it and you eventually realize who you're rooting for? That never really happened in 1986. The only joy I got was having one team think they were about to win, only to lose.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:46 PM   #708
Blue Crack Supplier

Oh, and I'll say it again:

Manny Ramirez is the best hitter I've ever seen. SI did an article on him a few years ago, and broke down his splits....home, road, grass, turf, LF or RF, Cleveland or Boston, Day or Night game, you name it....he was a career .300 hitter for all of them. Amazing.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:54 PM   #709
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
Manny Ramirez is the best hitter I've ever seen.
it's between him and bonds for me. i've never actually seen ramirez live and in person. have seen bonds on multiple occasions... saw him take BP once also.

but bonds of course is a dirty word these days, so yea.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:08 PM   #710
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
it's between him and bonds for me. i've never actually seen ramirez live and in person. have seen bonds on multiple occasions... saw him take BP once also.

but bonds of course is a dirty word these days, so yea.
I, maybe unfairly, disqualify Bonds due to the steroids crap. But if we ignore that, then yes, he and Manny are 1 and 1A. There was a stretch of time there where it literally felt like Barry was going to Homer every at-bat.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:09 PM   #711
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Quote:
The Fall of 1986 was, easily, the worst sports related time of my life. I was 15, so, thsi was close to the height of my sports dork-dom. So, what could be more fun for a Yankees fan than having the Mets take on the Sox in the World Series. I had no idea what to do, where to go, how to react, etc. You know how when you have no rooting interest in a game, then you sit down to watch it and you eventually realize who you're rooting for? That never really happened in 1986. The only joy I got was having one team think they were about to win, only to lose.

1986 sucked balls.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:02 PM   #712
Blue Crack Distributor

Old 06-03-2008, 08:18 PM   #713
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I know he's on a strict pitch count and all, but I'm pretty sure the Yankees wanted more than 2.1 innings out of Joba in his first start.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:19 PM   #714
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer View Post
I know he's on a strict pitch count and all, but I'm pretty sure the Yankees wanted more than 2.1 innings out of Joba in his first start.
Yup, they did. His command was horrid. Hopefully it was just nerves. His stuff, though, is really good.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:26 PM   #715
Blue Crack Supplier

Chase Utley: discuss.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:38 PM   #716
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:35 PM
Quote:
Yup, they did. His command was horrid. Hopefully it was just nerves. His stuff, though, is really good.
Joba came in for two relief appearances against the White Sox earlier this year and let me tell you...his stuff is NASTY. Just gross. One of the better young arms I've seen in a while.

He'll be fine as a starter.

Oh, and no-one has any interest in discussing the walking asshole that is Chase Utley.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:44 PM   #717
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
Chase Utley: discuss.
stud, would love to have him on my team, best second baseman in baseball, won't keep up this homerun pace.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:49 PM   #718
Blue Crack Distributor

i completely forgot about joba starting tonight. 2 and 1/3rd? well done.

i felt it was appropriate that joba's 8th inning replacement blew last night's game, though. still think it's a terrible decision to move him to a starter. i suppose they could always move him back if it doesn't go well, but would he really go for that?

to put on my hubie brown voice for a second... here you have a guy who clearly has the makeup and moxie to replace the legend that is mariano rivera, who i guess some in yankeeland have forgotten was the most important part of the late 90's championship run.

was also a wise choice to start him against roy halladay, who if the game went 14 innings might just pitch all 14 of 'em.

lastly... as i have just flipped yes on... i'd just like to add that gary cohen shits on michael kay any day of the week.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:00 PM   #719
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
Oh, and no-one has any interest in discussing the walking asshole that is Chase Utley.
I'm hoping this is an attempt at a joke or something.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:06 PM   #720
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
stud, would love to have him on my team, best second baseman in baseball, won't keep up this homerun pace.
Agree on all accounts. He's my favorite Phillies player of the last decade, that's for sure.

I don't know what to think about the Yankees anymore, to be honest. I agree that Joba would do well to take Mariano's place once he's gone.

Tags
baseball, major league baseball, mlb