Random Music Talk XXIII: Give Me Butt Meat or Give Me Death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For a chain it's good. But I'm not sure that it's better than Dominoe's new recipe. I probably prefer Pizza Hut's thin crust out of the big franchises, and it's the only one that PH still makes fresh. Their "hand-tossed" actually comes from frozen dough slabs.

Papa John's is certainly worth trying, a lot of people swear by it.

Papa John's is certainly worth trying, a lot of people swear by it.

I'll be one of them. It's my favorite of the major chains. Domino's has good (cheap) specialty pizzas, but if I want a regular pizza with meat, marinara and cheese, I stay far away.

Well, if not now, when? If a collaboration with a hip and creative producer isn't going to be the impetus for this change, where do you see it coming from? You say that the album being developed quickly while on tour isn't a good atmosphere for radical change, but that's exactly the climate that gave us Cockropa, which is still their most adventurous work to date (outside of Cockengers). Now that album was a progression of the exploration begun on Achtung Birdie more than a left turn, but it still took them into uncharted waters.

The other possibility, a long drawn-out production with the proven team of Beano/Patois, is something we just witnessed, and the band still caved in to their worst tendencies after leaving Morocco. Why is there any reason to think that formula's going to yield better results next time?

Zooropa was borne out of the direction they were already headed in with Achtung Baby, and the theme/sound overload developed with the theme of ZooTV. 360, cool as it is to watch, is not likely to inspire a concept album. I do think they need to be in a different place for an extended period of time (not too extended, this is 2000's U2 after all), not at all concerned with what the market wants to come up with a radical change, that's what they did from 89-91 and we know what the result was. They need to find another atmosphere, take the pulse of it for inspiration and mine it, which they started to do with NLOTH but the pressure of having been so long since their last release/last hit likely caused them to buckle and mute that inspiration down. I hope that the DM album does provide them that single they desperately crave, and 146 Grammys to boot, so that next time they can hopefully just say, let's make what we're inspired to and give it to our fans and not worry about the masses.

I agree that they are likely too late in their career (as well as in the history of rock music and its impact) to 'fuck up the mainstream', but that doesn't mean they're too late to alter their own sound. I also think it's quite the exaggeration to say they've utilized every genre of music. Even if that were true, innovate, they pioneered alternative rock, do it again, or don't, just do what comes naturally, not what comes in a 3:30 radio-friendly package.

I'm not saying I need them to innovate again to keep me as a fan, simply that I believe they can if that's what's inspiring them. A recorded-outside, hand-playing ensemble doing a lot of improvisation on an album of latter-day hymns would have been pretty-darn left field for one of the biggest groups of all time, even if it doesn't out "WTF" Achtung Baby. But really, I just want the world to hear the uncensored creativity of modern era U2, the outtakes and beach clips diehard internet U2 nerds show that they haven't lost their touch creatively, but the rest of the world hears Elevation, followed by Vertigo, followed by Boots. It frustrates me, and it should frustrate them that the pandering is completely misrepresenting their sound.

I'll be one of them. It's my favorite of the major chains. Domino's has good (cheap) specialty pizzas, but if I want a regular pizza with meat, marinara and cheese, I stay far away.

Domino's is the way to go if it's wicked late, and you've got people hanging out that want food, otherwise, always find your favorite local place, or make something yourself if you're a decent cook.

It costs like two more dollars to get a real pizza from a local establishment which probably needs the business a hell of a lot more than Papa John and doesn't have those fucking "ohhh big Papa" commercials. A place where the crust doesn't taste like a giant packing peanut. It's a no brainer.

I also think it's quite the exaggeration to say they've utilized every genre of music.

It seems as though the original/early No Line sessions did represent a new dimension for them. The ambient Moroccan sound that they were purportedly exploring sounds as though it would have been fruitful. And that perhaps is the one genre, aside from rap or metal, that they have not put on record: "world," as vaguely defined as that is.

Unless we count "Ito Okashi" (which I adore), their discography has been firmly rooted in the European-American tradition. Maybe they will produce something along the lines of My Life in the Bush of Ghosts. :shifty:

or make something yourself if you're a decent cook.

This. Homemade pizza is so much fun to make and usually winds up being great regardless. Difficult to mess up cheese and dough.

In other news, S.O.S. by ABBA is fucking terrific song. Don't hear that one on the radio nearly enough. Dancing Queen can suck it.

Well I suppose they have somewhat touched upon most major genres, but even within rock there's so many divisions that they've never come near, and never will. Some one said it recently, I wouldn't mind a folksy U2 record, but not in the current trend of folk rock, more like a record inspired by the actual music of the past, bluegrassy even, but then it would have the danger of coming off as poserish given their origins.

just on U2. i can't see them coming out with an album at this stage that "fucks up the mainstream", or whatever. they're far too ensconced in the public eye to release an album under the U2 name that could be a massive departure and potentially won't sell so well, as much as i'd like to see them make something like Passengers II.

and secondly why would they be playing North Star, Mercy, et al live if they didn't have plans for them?

I say that Yorke hasn't sung since then because all he does is fucking whine now.

well i don't what you're listening to but i absolutely disagree.

Domino's is the way to go if it's wicked late, and you've got people hanging out that want food, otherwise, always find your favorite local place, or make something yourself if you're a decent cook.

Not to go all FYM or some shit, but I have political reasons not to buy Dominos. Plus, I heard that it sucks anyways.

It costs like two more dollars to get a real pizza from a local establishment which probably needs the business a hell of a lot more than Papa John and doesn't have those fucking "ohhh big Papa" commercials. A place where the crust doesn't taste like a giant packing peanut. It's a no brainer.

The local joint's pizza was delicious and was a fine accompaniment to a Rough Riders episode from 1942.

It seems as though the original/early No Line sessions did represent a new dimension for them. The ambient Moroccan sound that they were purportedly exploring sounds as though it would have been fruitful. And that perhaps is the one genre, aside from rap or metal, that they have not put on record: "world," as vaguely defined as that is.

I have an ATYCLB interview on VHS where The King of Lies (fucking brilliant, Laz) describes the opening bit of Elevation as hip-hop. No shit; for reals.

iron yuppie;7093904Maybe they will produce something along the lines of [I said:
My Life in the Bush of Ghosts[/I]. :shifty:

Fucking love that record. I had a music class back in college, and I brought in a tape of that album and freaked my prof out a bit.

just on U2. i can't see them coming out with an album at this stage that "fucks up the mainstream", or whatever. they're far too ensconced in the public eye to release an album under the U2 name that could be a massive departure and potentially won't sell so well, as much as i'd like to see them make something like Passengers II.

and secondly why would they be playing North Star, Mercy, et al live if they didn't have plans for them?

well i don't what you're listening to but i absolutely disagree.

Addressing both these points, while Yorke can be an expressive vocalist, as a fan of classical vocal music, the man is fucking annoying a lot of the time, and not a world-class rock vocalist, though distinct no doubt.

As for U2, from what we've heard the DM project developed during the end of the summer/fall with what seems like new tracks, the unreleased songs they played live they would have decided to play live a long time ago. I'm not saying some of them won't be on the DM project, but I have a feeling if they see the light of day on a U2 studio album it won't be on this one.

Addressing both these points, while Yorke can be an expressive vocalist, as a fan of classical vocal music, the man is fucking annoying a lot of the time, and not a world-class rock vocalist, though distinct no doubt.

As for U2, from what we've heard the DM project developed during the end of the summer/fall with what seems like new tracks, the unreleased songs they played live they would have decided to play live a long time ago. I'm not saying some of them won't be on the DM project, but I have a feeling if they see the light of day on a U2 studio album it won't be on this one.

oh yeah i definitely agree with that. he is fucking annoying a lot of the time. that's probably why i prefer Gnarls Barkley's version of Reckoner.

i still have a hard time believing we're going to get an album this year, let alone one of the four? they're working on.

I can see it go either way, in December they and Paul McG seemed really jazzed and indicated the DM one was nearly done and to be released in May, but since then they've been completely mum. Cee-Lo said last week that DM was wrapping up the U2 project though, so that's good news.

my 12-year old sister loves the Cee-Lo Green album. she listens to it more than i do.

by the way, team, tonight i am headed to my first ever concert solo, The National. going to be an interesting experience.

by the way, team, tonight i am headed to my first ever concert solo, The National. going to be an interesting experience.

That's great. The National was a tremendous, tremendous show - one of my all time favorites.

And don't worry about going alone. I went to LCD Soundsystem alone earlier in the year, and I ended up just dancing with a bunch of girls that happened to be around me. The whole thing was a great experience.

I went with someone who had never heard The National. It was cool, and he really enjoyed the show, but I probably would have have preferred going alone or bringing a lady friend.

That's great. The National was a tremendous, tremendous show - one of my all time favorites.

And don't worry about going alone. I went to LCD Soundsystem alone earlier in the year, and I ended up just dancing with a bunch of girls that happened to be around me. The whole thing was a great experience.

yeah next time LCD tour here (they're here in Feb, but they're only playing festivals :() i'm thinking about going solo so i can just get up and dance near whichever chicks i choose.

Yeah (Crass) almost killed me. i reckon i lost about five kilos in sweat :lol:

Going to concerts solo is perfectly fine, you can't really hang out and talk at a club show for sure, if I have a friend that likes the band I try to get them to go or vis versa, but I go to plenty of obscure shows on my own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom