Random Music Talk XCIV:Great Distances and Ballistic Weaponry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have no idea why someone in the other place kept insisting there wouldn't be an interview...

Tonight's Neutral Milk Hotel show was absolutely fantastic, and I'm not even a very big fan. Great stuff.

Cool. I hope they deliver. They're not going to play unopposed at Pitchfork, but it would nice to have more than one good option.

Good performance, Bono was definitely into it. He was geeking out on some of the adrenaline...I mean that's their first TV performance in a long time. Holding the note at the end gives a bit of a boost to the song, but other than that there were no significant changes to the arrangement or an extended outro or anything. Loved the COME ONs he dropped at the end. He'd make a good tennis player.

I was worried because of the multiple guitar tracks that it would end up like Electrical Storm. Thankfully Edge just went for the chords to give the chorus a little more of a rock feel.

Electrical Storm

I don't do a whole hell of a lot of complaining about the band, especially as it pertains to set lists/live song arrangements….but, man, I can remember being in the crowd as they played Electrical Storm for the first time (IN EUROPE, FUCKERS) and being REALLY jazzed, then they get to the guitar part you are referring to and it was….yeah, a let down, I guess. Or maybe like one of my first genuine "WTF's" at a show of theirs. Glad I heard it (more than once) but it just sounded weird.

Watching Jimmy Fallon takes me back to grade school days, listening to kids try to tell jokes that they can't though because they're laughing so hard.

The jokes themselves haven't changed much either.

"Jimmy love"

Possibly Bono's cleverest improvisation to date. I'm sure Fallon ghostwrote that shit.

Last edited:
So strange that Larry sat the way he did on that couch. So strange. Adam seemed to be looking at him like, "Motherfucker, have you lost your mind?"

And I wish they hadn't done the Ordinary Love thing. As bad an interviewer as Fallon is, I still would have rather heard the band bullshit for four minutes than do that song. Although, I guess the Stairway joke was pretty good.

So strange that Larry sat the way he did on that couch. So strange. Adam seemed to be looking at him like, "Motherfucker, have you lost your mind?"

And I wish they hadn't done the Ordinary Love thing. As bad an interviewer as Fallon is, I still would have rather heard the band bullshit for four minutes than do that song. Although, I guess the Stairway joke was pretty good.
I think he got to the end of the couch and realized he had passed his seat and ended up at Will Smith's, but didn't want to admit his mistake so tried to play it off by acting like he meant to sit on the back of the couch. Because he's kind of an idiot.

So the new album wasn't discussed?

Let me tell it to you straight, here....nothing was discussed. I think they mentioned the Oscars in passing.

So that means....everyone was wrong. No one gets to play superior in the morning :happy:

So the new album wasn't discussed?
Talking about the album would have required an interviewer who could actually put together a coherent thought. I think Fallon gets more flak than he deserves as a comedian, but he is a disaster behind the desk. His interview really only consisted of him asking Bono to talk about a coffee mug.

Also, he kept pointing to the magazine cover they were on as if it was the record sleeve for Ordinary Love.

Fallon is the Chris Martin of comedy. A total cornball with no charisma but people love him anyway and he'll have a long and successful career, much to my chagrin.

He's nice to a fault which gives him a lack of pretension, and he's willing to go all out with an energetic fervor that few others have. When he's doing well, he can be refreshing. When he's doing poorly, he's cringe-worthy. He's made for this age, though. The strongest point of his show is his skits, which are the things that are easiest to post online and make the rounds when he knocks something out of the park. The monologue has been dead for everyone on late night for a while. That his is a failure is almost irrelevant. He just needs to actually learn how to do an interview.

He's not a standup and he's not much of an actor. This is actually the perfect role for him.

I've grown to really like him, as I've said before, and it's because of his genuine enthusiasm, the skits on the show, and the fact that he does seem to get his big name celebrity guests to participate in stuff that they don't do on any other show. Together with his team, he's thinking outside the box on a lot of ideas.

I also started tuning in a lot because he was consistently getting GREAT musical guests. Like, fucking destroying every other late night show in terms of quality musical guests. Hopefully his producers can keep that going for him on the Tonight Show.

Embarrassing interviewer, though. Yes. Yes.

I find him far, far more likable in his current position as the guy who acts all giggly and starstruck in interviews and occasionally takes part in a humorous skit than I did when he was on SNL. One of several really awful cast members they had in that crappy era of the show.

Back
Top Bottom