2021 Year in Review

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Favourite albums...

The Weather Station - Ignorance
Cassandra Jenkins - An Overview on Phenomenal Nature
Tyler - Call Me If You Get Lost
Genesis Owusu - Smiling With No Teeth
Nick Cave & Warren Ellis - Carnage
Marianne Faithfull & Warren Ellis - She Walks in Beauty
Gang of Youths - Total Serene EP
Black Coffee - Subconsciously
Baker Boy - Gela
Courtney Barnett - Things Take Time, Take Time

Favourite songs...

Sufjan Stevens & Angelo De Augustine - Back to Oz
Kanye West & André 3000 - Life of the Party
G Flip & mxmtoon - Queen
Doja Cat & SZA - Kiss Me More
Alexis Taylor - Violence
Ka - I Need All That
The Weather Station - Robber
Nick Cave & Warren Ellis - Albuquerque
Japanese Breakfast - Posing for Cars
Aunty Donna - End Credits
Cassandra Jenkins - Hard Drive

With Hard Drive being not only my song of the year but one of my favourite songs of all time.

Best non-2021 album: MF DOOM - MM..FOOD
Best non-2021 song: Doja Cat - MOOO!
Best gig: hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Happy New Year, folks. Hope it’s not COVID, cobbler. Take good care.

Haha. Likewise fam, happy new year.

Best non-2021 album I heard this year for the first time was MM..FOOD by MF DOOM.

No major list from me, but will name some songs and albums later today. I'm resting at home, pretty sure I've got COVID, got a test yesterday.

:hmm:

Sooooo should we not do the Interference collective list this year?

If y'all wanna do it, I'm still happy to. But if not, I'll just post a list like the rest of you and we can all just come to a consensus of what our favorite album was :wink:.

We're getting old, folks.

If I'm being totally honest, I listened to Evermore and Folklore more last year than any actual 2021 albums. And I don't think there's anything this year I'd rate higher than either.

My default 2021 favorite is La Femme's Paradigmes but I wouldn't say it was in heavy rotation.

I feel like I listened to a ton of new stuff last year but almost nothing this year. Well, that’s not true. I listened to more podcasts than ever this year.

If y'all wanna do it, I'm still happy to. But if not, I'll just post a list like the rest of you and we can all just come to a consensus of what our favorite album was :wink:.

We're getting old, folks.

I'm just skeptical about how much participation we can muster now. I feel like you'd be lucky to get ten submissions, including your own.

Hey tourist - I know I'm late to the party, but I finally listened to your album in full the other day(I'd already heard the one track you put on your DI), and it's really good. I'm not just saying that. I love your guitar tone, I hear a lot of Edge influence there(not sure if intentional), especially in "Mercury" and "Arrows" and the intro of "Memories". Also hear echoes of Depeche Mode and Talking Heads in some tracks.

I mean it, if I'd heard it when I put together my 2020 list last year, it would've been top 10. You should be proud.

As per usual, with few exceptions, I didn't really start digging into new albums from the year until close to the end of the year...it's a bad habit. Anyway, I wasn't expecting to feel this way, but I feel comfortable in saying that this was the strongest overall year for music since the behemoth that was 2016.

I also want to say that it was a pretty amazing year for female artists in particular - thirteen of the artists behind my top twenty albums are either female solo artists, or groups that have women front-and-center.

As always, I like to write, so hopefully somebody reads.

1. ABBA - Voyage
Call me a sap, but the combination of their trademark infectious pop hooks and melodies combined with nostalgia for the group and the event-like feel of their first new music in forty years is too much to top for me. This record just puts a stupid grin on my face.

Highlights: "When You Danced With Me", "Don't Shut Me Down", "Just A Notion", "Keep An Eye On Dan", "No Doubt About It", "Ode To Freedom"

2. Torres - Thirstier
Torres is on a role. Her last record topped my list in 2020, and this one is #2 in 2021. Some killer pop-rock tunes here. This record is more dense instrumentally than her last couple records, a little more lushly produced, but it works. She sings with so much conviction. One of the most unique voices(in the literal sense) out there right now. I have no idea why she isn't bigger.

Highlights: "Are You Sleepwalking", "Don't Go Puttin Wishes In My Head", "Drive Me", "Big Leap", "Hug From A Dinosaur", "Thirstier"

3. The Killers - Pressure Machine
I really hadn't listened to more than maybe one or two Killer songs since Hot Fuss, because I only ever heard at-best tepid things about their work, and a narrative that they were simply one of those bands that could never live up to their seminal debut. But some of you were singing this record's praises in the Killers thread, saying it was their best in a long time and so forth, so I gave it a try, and wow. This record is so fucking good. It's nothing like Hot Fuss, and that's part of why it's so good; the more mature, contemplative nature of this record stands in contrast to the brash energy of the debut. Whereas they played like they were invincible on Hot Fuss, here they play like they are painfully aware of their mortality.

I'm not exaggerating when I say that the title track is one of my songs of the year; the chorus melody hits me right in the gut, and the lyrics are so vivid.

Highlights: "Pressure Machine", "West Hills" and the Phoebe Bridgers collaboration "Runaway Horses"

4. Pearl Charles - Magic Mirror
This is a Random Music Thread recommendation for me, as I'd never heard of Pearl before you guys started hyping her. I love this record. What stands out to me the most is her voice; it's got such a smooth, velvet quality to it. I was also struck by her technique - it never really felt like she was reaching. There's been a ton of great female-driven music in 2021, but I feel that Pearl, vocally speaking, is a cut above the rest.

I also like the diversity of sound throughout the record and its handful of SOTY-worthy tracks.

Highlights: The beautiful balladic title track, the ABBA-homage dance single "Only For Tonight", and the breezy "Sweet Sunshine Wine" are my favorites.

5. Japanese Breakfast - Jubilee
Another RMT rec. I'd never listened any of her work before you all started talking about it. So, my opinion of this album is actually a bit odd; I think half of it is so, so good, and the other half is a bit meh. But the half that I like is so good that it manages to put the record this high on its own.

"Tactics" is a SOTY candidate for me. That melody, her delivery, I mean.
The opener, "Paprika", is also top-notch, with its propulsive rhythm and brass/string sections.
"Kokomo, IN" and "In Hell", with their chill, mellow vibes, are further highlights.
Finally, the closer "Posing For Cars" is fantastic, starting as an acoustic number and building into very lush instrumental crescendo.

Those five are the stronger half, imo. I'm actually less excited about some of the tracks chosen as singles - "Be Sweet", "Posing In Bondage", and "Savage Good Boy". "Be Sweet" is ok.

"Savage Good Boy" does have that guitar(I think it's guitar?) solo at the end, and "Slide Tackle" has that horn section the end, and I do enjoy those moments; but in general I feel like the album sags in the middle.

But man, those five tracks are so good, they alone earn the album a spot this high.

Highlights: "Tactics", "Paparika", "Kokomo, IN", "In Hell", "Posing For Cars"

6. Tori Amos - Ocean To Ocean
In 2020, Alanis Morissette put out an album that I promoted around here, and nobody cared. I feel like this record is going to fill the 'veteran album no one else will care about' slot on my 2021 list.

I hadn't listened to anything Tori's done in 20 years probably, but I saw some reviews stating that this was her best in a long while(somewhat similar to the Killers in that respect), so I decided to give it a whirl because I love her 90s work and always respected the hell out of her. It did not disappoint.

She apparently wrote and recorded the whole thing during lockdown; it somehow sounds exactly like Tori and nothing like Tori at the same time. She makes more use of instruments outside the piano, but that trademark eeriness/gloominess is still there. Anyway, please give it a chance.

Highlights include "Swim To New York State", "Ocean To Ocean", "29 Years", and the closer "Birthday Baby", as well as the single "Speaking With Trees".

7. Nick Cave and Warren Ellis - Carnage
I still haven't listened to the bulk of Cave's considerable body of work, but with the constant praise heaped around here, I have gotten into his records from the past decade - Push The Sky Away, Skeleton Tree, Ghosteen - so I was excited to see what this new record would be like. I was not disappointed.

TBH, I think I like it better than Ghosteen; that record had some great stuff on it, but I found this one a bit easier to get into, maybe a little more accessible, a little more streamlined. The juxtaposition of Cave's voice and Ellis's musical compositions is breathtaking, haunting even, at times.

"Lavender" is the best track on the album for me; other highlights include "Carnage", "White Elephant", "Albuquerque", "Balcony Man"...it's all good.

8. The Weather Station - Ignorance
Another RMT rec. Again, never heard of this group, but great record. Speaking of Tori Amos, something about this record reminds me of her and other female singer/songwriters of the 90s - Sarah McLachlan is another one. These songs stay with you.

Highlights include "Separated"(my personal favorite, what a hook), "Trust", "Tried To Tell You", and "Parking Lot".

9. Cassandra Jenkins - An Overview On Phenomenal Nature
So, this is the record a lot of you have been flipping out about all year. It's really pretty good...the ambient jazz thing works very well. A perfect record for a rainy day. I like it a lot...I guess I just don't think it's an absolute masterpiece like some of you do. I think it falls off a bit after the first four tracks.

About "Hard Drive" in particular...I don't care for the spoken word stuff here all that much so, while it's really good outside of that, I don't rank it as highly as others. In fact, I think "Crosshairs" and "Michelangelo" are better...they contain probably the two best guitar solos of the year.

Highlights: "Crosshairs", "Michelangelo", "New Bikini", "Hard Drive"

10. Foo Fighters - Medicine At Midnight
Look, I know the Foos aren't very popular around here, but I dug this record. It's really good. They embrace a little more "color" than usual in their music of late, they experiment with some psychedelic and dance sounds, and I just think it's a really fresh look for them and one of the best rock records of the year - a lean one with no fat, clocking in at only 36 minutes. You guys should give it a chance.

Highlights: "Making A Fire", "Shame Shame", "Medicine At Midnight", "Holding Poison", "Chasing Birds", and "Love Dies Young".

11. Lorde - Solar Power
This wasn't really what I was expecting from Lorde - it's a much brighter record than her last one, "Melodrama", which was a pretty dark, introspective affair. I enjoy it a lot though. The only real reason it doesn't rate higher is that it doesn't feel especially original.

There was some talk when it first came out that it seems like a lot of young female artists do these 'summer vibes' kind of records; then someone pointed out that the end of the title track bore some melodic resemblance to Primal Scream's "Loaded", which I can't not hear now.

Then I noticed a vocal melody in "Stoned At The Nail Salon" - "cause all the beautiful girls they wiill fade like the roses" that is note for note the same as Lana Del Rey's "hope is a dangerous thing for women like me to have"(my favorite song from that album). A google search shows that others noticed this too. Not necessarily saying she did it on purpose.

So I really did like this record a lot - it's an easy record to listen to, a real feel-good summer record - but these things knocked it down a bit.

Highlights: "Solar Power", "California Girls", "Stoned At The Nail Salon", "Fallen Fruit", "Leader Of A New Regime", "Mood Ring"

12. Sufjan Stevens - A Beginner's Mind
A real bounce-back after the disappointing "The Ascension". I enjoyed this a lot...it does all kind of blend together, but that's ok because the general sound is so buoyant and uplifting - it's honestly a more positive vibe than a lot of Sufjan's recent work - like, I love Carrie & Lowell, but it's not exactly a happy record.

Highlights: "Lady Macbeth In Chains", "Back To Oz", "Olympus", "Fictional California", "Lacrimae"

13. Robert Plant and Alison Krause - Raise The Roof
Plant and Krause made a record called "Raising Sands" back in 2007 that got a lot of attention; they've made another one and I felt like it deserved shout out. It's all covers of old blues numbers, but Plant and Krause are so good - both legends, total pros - and their voices compliment each other so well, that they really make them their own, so I wanted to give it some love. It's a really earthy sounding record; in a time when autotune and other technologies can make certain artists sound overly-robotic, this music sounds utterly human.

Highlights: The singles "Can't Let Go" and "Searching For My Love" hit it out of the park, the opener "Quattro(World Drifts In)", the closer ""Somebody Was Watching Over Me", and also "The Price Of Love" and "High And Lonesome"

14. War On Drugs - I Don't Live Here Anymore
One of my fundamental issues with WOD is that there's a sameness that permeates their records - it's often difficult to distinguish one track from another from another. This record isn't really any different in that regard. But it's still a really solid rock album that I can listen to from front to back without skipping anything, and that's not a small thing. Even if I can't remember which track was which afterward.

Highlights: "Harmonia's Dream", "I Don't Wanna Wait", "I Don't Live Here Anymore", "Occasional Rain"

15. Black Country New Road - For The First Time
Another new artist for me; one I was particularly curious about because I'm always intrigued by groups described as "prog". I very much enjoyed the music on this record, and the opening instrumental is one of my SOTY - it manages to be prog with some jazz flavoring; there's this insistent rhythm, but then horn/guitar/whatever it is flourishes just float on top of it. Great stuff.

All of the tracks are good though...when there's no voice. I said "I very much enjoyed the music on this record", because the music is great when the guy isn't singing...it's mostly spoken-word type stuff and it doesn't work well for me, it just feels like it's interrupting the music. It's honestly why this record didn't get higher than this for me. I still really like the music though.

Highlights: "Instrumental", "Opus"

16. Little Simz - Sometimes I Might Be Introvert
It is difficult to impress me when it comes to hip-hip; I respect it as an artform and enjoy it a lot when it's done at a high level(Tupac, Eminem, Kendrick, Beasties, Jay Z, Public Enemy, etc), but it's not my top genre, and to me mediocre hip-hop is much worse than mediocre rock or whatever, so it takes a bit for hip-hop to make an impression with me. This record was hyped more than any other hip-hop record this year, and to my ears, I get it. This is probably the most I've enjoyed a hip-hop record since TPAB(not that I listen to so many hip-hop records).

The most impressive thing to me is not the rapping itself but the musical backings. They are diverse and rich and they grab you before she ever opens her mouth from the ominous bass and choral vocals in "Introvert", to the strings in "I Love You, I Hate You"(that remind me of award show music at some points), to the African sounds of "Fear No Man", it's impressive.

Highlights include "Introvert", "I Love You, I Hate You", "Standing Ovation", "Protect My Energy", and "Fear No Man".

This is an immaculately-produced album.

17. Faye Webster - I Know I'm Funny haha
Yet another new artist for me. This is a mellow, chill-out album if I've ever heard one, but she's got personality and a real vibe going. She's so young too! Someone to keep an eye on. TBH, if I spent a little more time with this one, it might rise a little more.

Highlights include "Better Distractions", "Sometimes", "In A Good Way", "Cheers", and "A Stranger".

18. Julien Baker - Little Oblivions
19. Lucy Dacus - Home Video

Gonna talk about these together since they have an association with each other.

I think both of them and Bridgers are exciting up-and-coming artists; there's some pretty raw, verbose songwriting going on here. I find myself nonetheless not connecting with them emotionally as much as I want to. That said there are some definite highlights:

"Hardline", "Crying Wolf", "Favor", and "Song In E"(beautiful, probably my favorite on either album) for Baker; and "Cartwheel", "Thumbs", "Going, Going, Gone", and "Triple Dog Dare" for Dacus.

20. Jonsi - Obsidian
A solo effort from the Sigur Ros frontman...it's really an album of ambient music, so you have to be in the mood, but if you're into that kind of thing, it's a pretty relaxing, comforting, and very cohesive listen.

6. Tori Amos - Ocean To Ocean
In 2020, Alanis Morissette put out an album that I promoted around here, and nobody cared. I feel like this record is going to fill the 'veteran album no one else will care about' slot on my 2021 list.

Oh, I'm going to have several of those on my list, but the one that fits the 90s alt female slot like those two you mentioned is Liz Phair's Soberish. She was actually supposed to be on that recent Alanis/Garbage tour but dropped out right before for some unknown reason.

Also glad someone else is enjoying the Robert Plant/Alison Krauss album. It led me to start checking out more of Plant's solo work, which for some reason I'd never done before. Really digging Lullaby and...The Ceaseless Roar, as well as Band of Joy.

Will have to put up my whole list soon.

Also glad someone else is enjoying the Robert Plant/Alison Krauss album. It led me to start checking out more of Plant's solo work, which for some reason I'd never done before. Really digging Lullaby and...The Ceaseless Roar, as well as Band of Joy.

Raise the Roof didn't land with me the way Raising Sand did - the latter is a masterpiece IMO. But if you are going through Plant's solo stuff, definitely look into Dreamland, which is the beginning of his shift away from the contemporary stuff of the 80s and 90s and into the more rootsy stuff he has been doing.

Hey tourist - I know I'm late to the party, but I finally listened to your album in full the other day(I'd already heard the one track you put on your DI), and it's really good. I'm not just saying that. I love your guitar tone, I hear a lot of Edge influence there(not sure if intentional), especially in "Mercury" and "Arrows" and the intro of "Memories". Also hear echoes of Depeche Mode and Talking Heads in some tracks.

I mean it, if I'd heard it when I put together my 2020 list last year, it would've been top 10. You should be proud.

Woah! Hey, thanks very much! I’d say some of my biggest influences were earlyish U2 (mostly in guitar tones, and especially on Mercury as you mentioned), various elements of The Cure, and just a little Tame Impala. The Memories guitar tone was inspired by an instrumental by New Order actually.

Anyway, not bad for one guy with a Strat and a MacBook, I guess! It took me two years to write, record, and produce it. Not to get too heavy, but it was a great outlet of emotions - the record was inspired by the death of our stillborn son at 24 weeks in the womb (in 2016). I wrote Arrows while we were in the hospital still. I released it on the day he was stillborn, but four years later.

I wrote a whole article for music in 2021 that you guys can peruse here: https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Trav...-2021-that-i-want-to-tell-you-guys-all-about/

But for the tldr, here is my top 15:

1. Little Simz - Sometimes I Might Be Introvert
2. Sufjan Stevens & Angelo De Augustine - A Beginner's Mind
3. Black Midi - Cavalcade
4. Origami Angel - Gami Gang
5. Fievel Is Glauque - God’s Trashmen Sent to Right the Mess
6. Floating Points, Pharoah Sanders & The London Symphony Orchestra - Promises
7. Japanese Breakfast - Jubilee
8. Tyler, the Creator - Call Me If You Get Lost
9. Indigo De Souza - Any Shape You Take
10. Kanye West - Donda
11. Nick Cave & Warren Ellis - Carnage
12. Cassandra Jenkins - An Overview on Phenomenal Nature
13. Low - HEY WHAT
14. BADBADNOTGOOD - Talk Memory
15. Magdalena Bay - Mercurial World

Song of the year: Cassandra Jenkins - Hard Drive

Great writing as usual, El-Mel - I really enjoyed reading it even if I don't agree with everything.

I was surprised not to see Pearl Charles in your top 30 - IIRC you were the one first pushing that album around here(or was it Ashley?).

I feel like your evaluation of the Lorde album is a bit harsh. I do agree that Melodrama was better and that there's a lack of originality in this album(as I said in my own post), but it's pleasant enough imo.

That Black Midi album...it kept coming up throughout the year so I gave it a shot, but I couldn't get into it, for two reasons: one, I couldn't get past his voice, it was just always in the way for me, as I was always more interested in the instrumental elements; and two, I felt like he/they couldn't stick to one musical idea for more than thirty seconds before taking a left turn to another, and then another. I preferred the Black Country New Road album, which is sort of similar but faces the above issues less to my ears.

I kind of don't fully get the endless praise heaped on Hard Drive...I like it, but there are better songs on that album imo. To each his own.

But hey, we agree on the goodness of Sufjan, Japanese Breakfast, Nick Cave, The Weather Station, and Little Simz among others, so here's to that!

Floating Points, Pharoah Sanders & The London Symphony Orchestra - Promises

You know, I feel kind of guilty that I couldn't dig this album - maybe I need to give it another try. I'm really glad about the effusive praise Pharoah is receiving for it, though.

If you ask me, Space 1.8 (which I think is on your RYM list) is the more impactful space-jazz album from the year.

Did anyone else here listen to the Spirit of the Beehive album? That's a band I am really getting into.

Great writing as usual, El-Mel - I really enjoyed reading it even if I don't agree with everything.

I was surprised not to see Pearl Charles in your top 30 - IIRC you were the one first pushing that album around here(or was it Ashley?).

I feel like your evaluation of the Lorde album is a bit harsh. I do agree that Melodrama was better and that there's a lack of originality in this album(as I said in my own post), but it's pleasant enough imo.

That Black Midi album...it kept coming up throughout the year so I gave it a shot, but I couldn't get into it, for two reasons: one, I couldn't get past his voice, it was just always in the way for me, as I was always more interested in the instrumental elements; and two, I felt like he/they couldn't stick to one musical idea for more than thirty seconds before taking a left turn to another, and then another. I preferred the Black Country New Road album, which is sort of similar but faces the above issues less to my ears.

I kind of don't fully get the endless praise heaped on Hard Drive...I like it, but there are better songs on that album imo. To each his own.

But hey, we agree on the goodness of Sufjan, Japanese Breakfast, Nick Cave, The Weather Station, and Little Simz among others, so here's to that!
No, it's all good. Glad you read through and enjoyed it even though you disagreed with some things. Part of why I work so hard on lists like those is to justify opinions that not everyone will be able to agree with.
You know, I feel kind of guilty that I couldn't dig this album - maybe I need to give it another try. I'm really glad about the effusive praise Pharoah is receiving for it, though.

If you ask me, Space 1.8 (which I think is on your RYM list) is the more impactful space-jazz album from the year.
What amazed me about Promises was that it somehow managed to be a focused, singular work despite all of those collaborators. Space 1.8 is awesome but somehow felt a little more scattered despite being led creatively by one person.

Did anyone else here listen to the Spirit of the Beehive album? That's a band I am really getting into.
I listened to it a few times, they're a local band and I always want to keep up with the Philly scene. I found it more "interesting" than necessarily good, but they're definitely one I intend to keep an open mind about.

Top 20 Albums
1. Julien Baker - Little Oblivions
2. Japanese Breakfast - Jubilee
3. Little Simz - Sometimes I Might Be Introvert
4. Spellling - The Turning Wheel
5. The War on Drugs - I Don't Live Hear Anymore
6. Lucy Dacus - Home Video
7. The Weather Station - Ignorance
8. Cassandra Jenkins - An Overview on Phenomenal Nature
9. Torres - Thirstier
10. Big Red Machine - How Long Do You Think It's Gonna Last?
11. Jazmine Sullivan - Heaux Tales
12. Adult Mom - Driver
13. Genesis Owusu - Smiling with No Teeth
14. Feu! Chatterton - Palais d'argile
15. Tyler the Creator - Call Me If You Get Lost
16. Half Waif - Mythopoetics
17. Jane Weaver - Flock
18. Wolf Alice - Blue Weekend
19. Rosie Tucker - Sucker Supreme
20. Nick Cave and Warren Ellis - Carnage

Honorable Mentions
Manchester Orchestra - The Million Masks of God
Faye Webster - I Know I'm Funny Haha
Courtney Barnett - Things Take Time, Take Time
Olivia Rodrigo - Sour
Katy Kirby - Cool Dry Place

Biggest Disappointments
St. Vincent - Daddy's Home
Lorde - Solar Power
The Antlers - Green to Gold
Bleachers - Take the Sadness out of Saturday Night
Twin Shadow - Twin Shadow

Total albums listened to: 52

Top 20 Songs
1. Japanese Breakfast - Paprika
2. The War on Drugs feat. Lucius - I Don't Live Hear Anymore
3. MUNA feat. Phoebe Bridgers - Silk Chiffon
4. Pearl Charles - Only for Tonight
5. Wolf Alice - Lipstick on the Glass
6. Genesis Owusu - Drown
7. Little Simz - Introvert
8. The Weather Station - Parking Lot
9. Julien Baker - Favor
10. Torres - Don't Go Puttin' Wishes in My Head
11. Lucy Dacus - Brando
12. Cassandra Jenkins - Hard Drive
13. Big Red Machine feat. Taylor Swift - Renegade
14. Spellling - Boys at School
15. Half Waif - Fortress
16. Jazmine Sullivan - Pick Up Your Feelings
17. Faye Webster - Cheers
18. Rosie Tucker - Arrow
19. Adult Mom - Wisconsin
20. Cloud Nothings - Oslo

Honorable Mentions
Courtney Barnett - If I Don't Hear from You Tonight
CHVRCHES - Final Girl
Sofia Kourtesis - By Your Side
Nana Yamato - Do You Wanna
Katy Kirby - Traffic!

Top 10 Concerts
1. Japanese Breakfast - Union Transfer (Callowhill, Philadelphia)
2. The Districts - Ottobar (Charles Village, Baltimore)
3. Lucy Dacus - Union Transfer (Callowhill, Philadelphia)
4. Future Islands - The Fillmore (Fishtown, Philadelphia)
5. Phoebe Bridgers - Skyline Stage at the Mann Center (Fairmount Park, Philadelphia)
6. Dr. Dog - Theatre of Living Arts (Queen Village, Philadelphia)
7. Hop Along - Johnny Brenda's (Fishtown, Philadelphia)
8. Julien Baker - Electric Factory (Northern Liberties, Philadelphia)
9. My Morning Jacket - The Mann Center (Fairmount Park, Philadelphia)
10. Cloud Nothings - Underground Arts (Callowhill, Philadelphia)

Nice to see another Spellling fan here, prefer. Loved your list.

One album on which I differ from many of you is Courtney Barnett's. I just didn't find it interesting at all - it's almost like she decided to leave out all of the idiosyncratic things that made her music so special.

LM: loved reading your write-up. Sorry you went through such a tough period this year, hope things are looking up now.

Since we have a good deal of lists, I think it would be nice to figure out the Interference top-10. I assume Cassandra would win, but it might be close with Little Simz and Japanese Breakfast. This was such a good deal in music, and it might actually be the most diverse list we've had in a while, with none of the usual B&C stalwarts.

El-Mel, I so appreciate you sharing the preamble to your album reviews. Everyone's online presences are so filtered and cultivated to look a certain way, and it's easy to forget that a lot of people on the planet are really going through it right now. Just wanna wish you and Ashley a happy 2022. I'm excited to read through your reviews as I have the time.

1. Writhing Squares: Chart for the Solution - Alternative/Indy rock
2. Ches Smith and We All Break: Path of Seven Colors - Haitian Jazz
3. Lindsey Buckingham: Lindsey Buckingham - Pop/Rock
4. Karine Polwart & Dave Milligan: Still as Your Sleeping - Folk
5. Amyl and The Snifflers: Comfort to Me - Garage Punk
6. Mon Laferte: Seis - Latin Folk
7. Aaron Dilloway & Lucrecia Dalt: Lucy & Aaron - Experimental / Noise
8. Juliana Hatfield: Blood - Alternative/Indy rock
9. Reigning Sound: A Little More Time With - Blue Eyed Soul
10. Altin Gün: Yol - Neo-Psychedelia
11. Deerhoof: Actually, You Can - Post-Rock
12. Bedouine: Waysides - Folk
13. TEKE::TEKE: Shirushi - Indie Rock/Japanese
14. Joanna Connor: 4801 South Indiana Avenue - Blues
15. Hedvig Mollestad Thomassen: Tempest Revisited - Avant-Garde Jazz
16. Sons of Kemet: Black to the Future - International Jazz
17. Bomba Estéro: Deja - Latin / Electronic
18. Jazzmeia Horn and Her Noble Force: Dear Love - Modern Big Band
19. Sting: The Bridge - Pop/Rock
20. Dinosaur Jr. : Sweep it into Space - Alternative/Indy rock

Albums that would be top 10 if they could be considered new material:
Alice Coltrane: Kirtan- Turiya Sings
Los Lobos: Native Sons

H/M
Alasdair Roberts & Völvur: The Old Fables River
Calm Down Cologne: Garage a Trois
Charles Lloyd & The Marvels: Tone Poem
Desire: Desire
Dr. Lonnie Smith: Breathe
Flock of Dimes: Head of Roses
Guides by Voices: It's Not Them. It Couldn't Be Them. It's Them!
Hedvig Mollestad Trio: Ding Dong, You're Dead
IFÉ: 0000 + 0000
James Brandon Lewis: Jesup Wagon
Madlib: Sound Ancestors
Marisa Monte: Portas
Matt Sweeney & Bonnie 'Prince' Billy: Superwolves
Nick Cave & Warren Ellis: CARNAGE
Pip Blom: Welcome Break
Tindersticks: Distractions

Marisa Monte: Portas

Nice to see this on a list. Nothing surpasses her 1990s outputs for me, but Portas was quite nice. It has been such a long time since her last album, so I was glad to get something new from Marisa.

Nice to see another Spellling fan here, prefer. Loved your list.

One album on which I differ from many of you is Courtney Barnett's. I just didn't find it interesting at all - it's almost like she decided to leave out all of the idiosyncratic things that made her music so special.

LM: loved reading your write-up. Sorry you went through such a tough period this year, hope things are looking up now.

Since we have a good deal of lists, I think it would be nice to figure out the Interference top-10. I assume Cassandra would win, but it might be close with Little Simz and Japanese Breakfast. This was such a good deal in music, and it might actually be the most diverse list we've had in a while, with none of the usual B&C stalwarts.

I haven't felt motivated to put a top 15 list together, because I'm a little sulky sulk, but if someone wants to take the time to figure out what Interference's is just based on current placements, I'll throw a personal top 15 list together this afternoon.

I might try to do that over the weekend - automatically assigning 15 points for #1s, 14 for #2s, etc.

Nice to see this on a list. Nothing surpasses her 1990s outputs for me, but Portas was quite nice. It has been such a long time since her last album, so I was glad to get something new from Marisa.
I thought it was a very solid album with a nice mix of traditional songwriting and more modern production

Back
Top Bottom